Start by marking “Blood of Heirs (The Coraidic Sagas #1)” as Want to Read:
Blood of Heirs (The Coraidic Sagas #1)

Blood of Heirs

(The Coraidic Sagas #1)

Lidan Tolak is the fiercest of her father’s daughters; more than capable of one day leading her clan. But caught between her warring parents, Lidan’s world begins to unravel when another of her father’s wives falls pregnant. Before she has time to consider the threat of a brother, a bloody swathe is cut through the heart of the clan and Lidan must fight, not only to prove ...more
Published October 27th 2018 by Alicia Wanstall-Burke

To ask other readers questions about Blood of Heirs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood of Heirs

Petrik
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ARC provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

4.5/5 stars

Emotionally gripping and enthralling, Blood of Heirs will leave a mark on character-driven fantasy fans.

I have rejected a lot of ARC and review requests (Sorry authors and thank you for the understanding) over the past three months due to my commitment to thin my TBR pile. I knew literally nothing about this book when the author approached me; there wasn’t even any reviews or cover art yet. Regardless, my gut told me to accep
Tam
Blood of Heirs was an amazing read. It’s the kind of book you can easily get consumed with and forget to put down. I would know, I finished it within 10 hours and I could probably spend a fair bit of time raving about it. It has some amazing moments: I laughed, I cheered, I cried, and I enjoyed every moment of it.

Blood of Heirs follows two main characters: Ran, the son of a Duke who goes from failed commander to hero to outcast in the space of a day because he accidentally acquired some magical
Nick T. Borrelli
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There are certain books that you just know within the first 25 pages are going to be simply amazing. I could tell right away just from Alicia Wanstall-Burke's writing style that I was going to enjoy BLOOD OF HEIRS. Then I was introduced to two incredibly special characters, both with their own unique story line and I was absolutely hooked. The action in BLOOD OF HEIRS, the first book of The Coraidic Sagas, mainly takes place in two countries. Hummel is the first, where Lidan is heir to be chief ...more
Timy
For my full review see Grimdark Magazine or Adrian's review.

Blood of Heirs is an ambitious and promising debut novel by Australian author, Alicia Wanstall-Burke. I wasn't as amazed by it as others seem to be, but it's definitely worth your time. This is mainly because this book felt like a building up for the next book, the first leg of a really long journey. Enjoyable, but I couldn’t help but ask, “Are we there yet?” While getting to know the characters is important–and I really can’t say this
TS Chan
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
An impressive debut by Alicia Wanstall-Burke, Blood of Heirs marks a promising start to a new fantasy series by a new author.

This is a well-written, highly character-driven narrative that follows two main characters, both heirs to the ruling power of their own people. Lidan Tolak is the first-born daughter of the clan chief and the heir apparent, unless of course, a brother comes along into the patriarchal society she belongs to. Prince Ranoth Olseta is the only son of the Duke of Orthia. Altho
Graham Austin-King
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Full review to come but for now I'll say this.

Dark, stunningly well written, the best debut I've read in years.
Olivia
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
In her debut, Alicia Wanstall-Burke forgoes creating epic conflicts and sprawling wars fought to defeat a dark lord and instead focuses on two young characters, their immediate family, and the social structures they live in. Despite the relatively small scope, Wanstall-Burke creates an exceptional emotional impact through her powerful characters and manages to capture the reader’s imagination from the very first chapter...

Full review is up at Three Crows Magazine.
Lukasz
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-published
Actual rating: 3.75/5

Blood of Heirs follows the parallel tales of Lidan Tolak and Ranoth Olseta, two teenagers whose lives don’t go as planned.

Lidan, the eldest of her father’s ten daughters, should become an heir. The only problem - she lives in a patriarchal society that disregards women. Lidan’s father wants a son, and one of his wives may finally fulfil his wish. Lidan’s mother is a maniac willing to do whatever she has to to preserve her daughter’s position.

Ranoth wants to impress his fat
Esme
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was actually recommended this by an author I really enjoy and saw some positive reviews on Goodreads for it as well. I was pretty stoked about this book even though I knew nothing about it, haha.

This is a book with dueling POV’s, both of which are younger characters. Lidan is a 12 year old girl who’s the First Daughter of a clan chief known as the Daari. She’s one of 9 girls in the family she is technically the heir until her father has a son. Her father has four wives, but her mother is the F
Anna Stephens
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this novel, which is brilliantly imagined and depicted. The worldbuilding is easy but detailed - no infodumps here - with varied terrain, peoples and customs adding layers of complexity to the plot and narrative.
Lidan and Ranoth are both likeable heroes, a little naive, but both eager only to do the right thing - not that that works out for them, of course!
Separated by a vast mountain range and cultural differences that seem just as great, they are both cast into peril for ver
The Nerd Book Review
2.5. Blood of Heirs is a well written debut novel that was very entertaining by the end but that didn’t really capture my attention until somewhere around halfway through. Old me would have stopped reading by that point though.
I also felt like the book was lacking a bit in depth and I would have liked more world building early on. I wasn’t sure for a long while if we were dealing with a secondary world or a post apocalyptic world.
The book has 2 POV characters.
The first is a girl named Lidan.
wanderer (Para)
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
The ARC provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

Blood of Heirs was a very pleasant surprise. I needed a quick read, something that wouldn’t take me weeks to finish and boy has this book delivered.

He was no different to the rabbit, no different to any game animal pursued through the woods, whether for sustenance or pleasure. He was as hunted as that rabbit, and he’d turned his power on it, despite his already superior strength. What might he do if his pursuer cornered him the way
Lisa
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Here we have two stories running parallel to one another–the story of Lidan, a young girl trying to gain recognition so as to be appointed her father’s official heir, and Ranoth, a young prince trying to live up to his father’s expectations as heir. Their stories are quite different, they live in different countries with vastly different cultures, and yet they have some things in common that they are dealing with. Mainly proving themselves to their parents in some way. There’s also a mysterious ...more
Rusty
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-read
I was given an ARC of this debut book by the author: Alicia Wanstall-Burke. I had not heard much about this Australian author or her upcoming self-published book, but I decided to shuffle my TBR so I could read it in time for its October 27, 2018 release date, and I am so glad I did. Blood of Heirs is the first book in The Coraidic Sagas. The book is very character-driven with a predominantly dark tone.

Our story follows two main characters. Lidian Tolak, at the age of twelve, is the heir of her
Alexis Claire
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The opening of Blood of Heirs immediately transports you to rural Australia in a rare and welcome change of scenery from more pedestrian Fantasy novels. After growing up in Australia, I feel like everything from the crunch of dry scrub to the pressure of a coming storm has been covered so beautifully, I could talk about this alone for hours.

Alas, we have so much more to talk about! The main characters are about what you'd expect from a good, solid opening novel, but the grimdark elements and obv
Calvin Park
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spfbo-2019, fantasy
In her debut novel, Alicia Wanstall-Burke has given us a page-turner. Blood of Heirs is a classic coming-of-age tale that doesn’t shy away from dark doings and bleak moments. Fans of grimdark will find much to enjoy here, though there is enough hope and nobility scattered throughout these pages that non-grimdark fans shouldn’t discount it simply due to the grim world and broken characters.

There are a great many things I like about Wanstall-Burke’s debut, foremost amongst them is the excellent p
Bethan Hindmarch
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Review to come!
Mark
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Debut from a bright new Aussie star

This a rip roaring tale of politics and adventure by a bright new Aussie star in epic fantasy. With a great sense of pacing and wonderfully descriptive prose the reader is led on the journey of two vibrant characters who jump off the page. Both are the heirs to their fathers (one a Clan leader, the other a Duke) and face compelling and unique stories as they work to fulfill their roles as heirs and the expectation of those around them.

As with any good story ‘T
Adrian Collins
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Originally reviewed by Timy on Grimdark Magazine.

Blood of Heirs is the ambitious debut epic fantasy novel and the first book of The Coraidic Saga by Alicia Wanstall-Burke. And while I wouldn’t place it in the grimdark genre, it has some elements/topics which might appeal to a wider audience liking their fantasy to be on the darker side.

I didn’t have much information about Blood of Heirs beforehand, but the Universe seemed to want me to read it, so I said damn it, and plunged into it. Not having
T.O. Munro
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Blood of Heirs is a very good book, an accomplished debut that can confidently rub shoulders with a slew of recent works of fantasy fiction both traditionally published and self-published.

The people

The story has two parallel threads following the eponymous heirs of the title. We meet Lidan first, thirteen-years old eldest daughter to Erlon Tolak Daari of the Tolak clan and – in the absence of any brothers the Daari’s heir. And then there is Ranoth Olseta son and heir to Duke Ronart of Orthia.

The
Tracey Twigg
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jeff Bryant
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fine debut by a wonderfully talented author, Blood of Heirs weaves the tale of two characters, Lidan, daughter of a leader of a horse lords tribe, and Ran, son of a noble family in a powerful city . Both learn much about themselves and their places in their worlds as well as discovering new talents, growing wiser in the ways of the world, and though separated by distance, bound together with a threat from a dark and terrible enemy.
Alicia does a wonderful job of setting a new world before your
Leona
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, indie-books
Blood of Heirs is the debut book by Australian author Alicia Wanstall-Burke and the first book of a series. This is a coming of age book, I’d categorize it as YA fantasy that is great for the grown-up audience. I am not a big fan of coming of age stories, but this one impressed the hell out of me. First of all, big kudos to Alicia for writing such a great story that is free of ever-so-irritating love triangles and keeping the romance element to an absolute minimum. One of the reasons I steer cle ...more
B
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing

I don’t know that I can rate this book highly enough. Read it now.

Fans of character driven stories? This is your tale.
Fans of the Robin Hobbs-ian authorial flair for evoking full emotive responses from their readers? This is your tome.

Ran and Lindal- while, in this book, never the Twain shall meet- are two coming of age perspectives that grace the chapters.

The former, a Duke’s son, and heir, cursed and exiled due to magic coursing his blood. (Worth note that quite literally nothing is do
Nathan
Nov 30, 2018 rated it liked it
My first review!

Ranoth's story: 2 stars because the plot of his story was literally driven by his stupidity. SPOILER:(view spoiler)
Michelle Belfield
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I knew this would be good, but I was blown away with just how good it really was. It moves along very quickly and although it switches between two main characters, I didn’t feel frustrated by it switching too often. I tried to take my time reading it, but once started, I could barely put it down. Can’t wait for the next in the trilogy.
Heather
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it

Rans journey sometimes got tedious and boring that I just started skimming through it at times but it was decent
Lena
Nov 21, 2018 rated it liked it
couldn't finish this, no interest
Ross Mcpherson
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic novel, well actually two novels in one, with parallel stories that I just didn’t want to stop. Can’t wait for the next instalment. Well done Alicia.
Philippa Mary
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fantastic introduction to this series. I cannot wait for more.

Full review: https://thelittlebookowl.com/2019/02/...

• We Ride the Storm (The Reborn Empire, #1)
  • Shadowed By Wings (Dragon Temple Saga, #2)
  • Faithless
  • The Healers' Road (The Balance Academy, #1)
  • Madness and Memory: The Discovery of Prions--A New Biological Principle of Disease
  • Sins of a Sovereignty (Amernia Fallen, #1)
  • North Star Guide Me Home (Children of the Black Sun #3)
  • The Amber Isle (Book of Never, #1)
  • The Curious Dictionary (Word Hunters #1)
  • Ink Black Magic (Mocklore Chronicles, #3)
  • Who's Afraid Too?  (Tommi Grayson #2)
  • We Are Omega
  • Argenterra (Silverlands, #1)
  • This Is the Garden
  • Born of the Phoenix
  • Silma Hill
  • The Wolf of Oren-yaro (Annals of the Bitch Queen, #1)
  • Everyday Life in Traditional Japan
Living in Central Queensland, Australia, surrounded by coal mines, snakes, marsupials and a wide blue sky, Alicia is a writer, a mum, a cat-herder and a dog-whisperer.
She began writing in her teens and never grew out of the phase, working in her spare time until the birth of her son allowed her to focus on writing full time.
She has also dabbled in editing and blogging while completing a Bachelor

The Coraidic Sagas (2 books)
  • Legacy of Ghosts (The Coraidic Sagas #2)