Start by marking “Blood of Heirs (The Coraidic Sagas #1)” as Want to Read:
Blood of Heirs (The Coraidic Sagas #1)

Blood of Heirs

(The Coraidic Sagas #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  275 ratings  ·  94 reviews
Lidan Tolak is the fiercest of her father’s daughters; more than capable of one day leading her clan. But caught between her warring parents, Lidan’s world begins to unravel when another of her father’s wives falls pregnant. Before she has time to consider the threat of a brother, a bloody swathe is cut through the heart of the clan and Lidan must fight, not only to prove ...more
Published October 27th 2018 by Alicia Wanstall-Burke

To ask other readers questions about Blood of Heirs, please sign up.
Alicia Wanstall-Burke Hi! This is a trilogy! Book 3, Empire of Shadows might end up a door stop of a book, but it will be the finale. There will be other stories in this wo…moreHi! This is a trilogy! Book 3, Empire of Shadows might end up a door stop of a book, but it will be the finale. There will be other stories in this world in the future though (less)
Alicia Wanstall-Burke Depends on the reader. There is strong language, adult themes, monsters, gore, violence etc, however the main characters are teens. Some people may fe…moreDepends on the reader. There is strong language, adult themes, monsters, gore, violence etc, however the main characters are teens. Some people may feel it’s for adults only, while others might be comfortable with mid to late teens and above. (less)

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Blood of Heirs (The Coraidic Sagas #1)
Petrik
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ARC provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

4.5/5 stars

Emotionally gripping and enthralling, Blood of Heirs will leave a mark on character-driven fantasy fans.

I have rejected a lot of ARC and review requests (Sorry authors and thank you for the understanding) over the past three months due to my commitment to thin my TBR pile. I knew literally nothing about this book when the author approached me; there wasn’t even any reviews or cover art yet. Regardless, my gut told me to acce
Mark Lawrence
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a finalist in the 5th Self-Published Fantasy Blog-Off, having beaten 290 other novels for one of the 10 finalists spots!

Read more about the SPFBO here:

It's also by a long time Facebook chum of mine.

I can put all that aside though and say with honesty that it's a really good read. The story starts off with a somewhat generic feel, following a duke's son in a medievalesque setting and the daughter of a clan leader (I'm never entirely sure if he
Edward
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Check out my review for this fantastic book on Booknest at: Booknest

Blood of Heirs is a fantastic display of character-driven fantasy that will have you feeling every ounce of pain, relief, joy and terror that the POVs endure.

“Four more cups of strong drink finally muffled the cries and erased the images dancing bloody steps across his mind. They would return again tomorrow, but for now, the numb ignorance of drink gave him peace.”

Alicia Wanstall-Burke has carved out a sublime debut within Bloo
Kaitlin
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spfbo-2019
* I read this as a judge for the #SPFBO *

I have to say I knew early on from when I started this that I was going to enjoy it as it was easily a page turner and I connected straight away with the story. It's not the kind of book which is super new or unique, but what it does it does well and I enjoyed seeing the character development, magic and lay of the land in this.

We follow two main PoVs.
- Ran - a young man in a war-torn environment trying to learn to take on a leadership role. The story he
Will.J.R. Gwynne
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My review is now on BookNest - Blood of Heirs - BookNest

I read Blood of Heirs as a judge for the SPFBO competition. This was my 3rd and final read for it.

Blood of Heirs is a character driven story that is great across the board. Lovely prose, great plot, brilliant characters. The world was crafted excellently, subtly making it more and more vivid and interesting as the story developed. There is no aspect of this that was not a joy to read! It really surprised me how enveloped and immersed I beca
TS Chan
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
An impressive debut by Alicia Wanstall-Burke, Blood of Heirs marks a promising start to an exciting new fantasy series.

This is a well-written, highly character-driven narrative that follows two main characters, both heirs to the ruling power of their own people. Lidan Tolak is the first-born daughter of the clan chief and the heir apparent, unless of course, a brother comes along into the patriarchal society she belongs to. Prince Ranoth Olseta is the only son of the Duke of Orthia. Although he
Nick Borrelli
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There are certain books that you just know within the first 25 pages are going to be simply amazing. I could tell right away just from Alicia Wanstall-Burke's writing style that I was going to enjoy BLOOD OF HEIRS. Then I was introduced to two incredibly special characters, both with their own unique story line and I was absolutely hooked. The action in BLOOD OF HEIRS, the first book of The Coraidic Sagas, mainly takes place in two countries. Hummel is the first, where Lidan is heir to be chief ...more
Tam
Blood of Heirs was an amazing read. It’s the kind of book you can easily get consumed with and forget to put down. I would know, I finished it within 10 hours and I could probably spend a fair bit of time raving about it. It has some amazing moments: I laughed, I cheered, I cried, and I enjoyed every moment of it.

Blood of Heirs follows two main characters: Ran, the son of a Duke who goes from failed commander to hero to outcast in the space of a day because he accidentally acquired some magical
Queen Terrible Timy
For my full review see Grimdark Magazine or Adrian's review.

Blood of Heirs is an ambitious and promising debut novel by Australian author, Alicia Wanstall-Burke. I wasn't as amazed by it as others seem to be, but it's definitely worth your time. This is mainly because this book felt like a building up for the next book, the first leg of a really long journey. Enjoyable, but I couldn’t help but ask, “Are we there yet?” While getting to know the characters is important–and I really can’t say this
Olivia
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
In her debut, Alicia Wanstall-Burke forgoes creating epic conflicts and sprawling wars fought to defeat a dark lord and instead focuses on two young characters, their immediate family, and the social structures they live in. Despite the relatively small scope, Wanstall-Burke creates an exceptional emotional impact through her powerful characters and manages to capture the reader’s imagination from the very first chapter...

Full review is up at Three Crows Magazine.
Graham Austin-King
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Full review to come but for now I'll say this.

Dark, stunningly well written, the best debut I've read in years.
Nils | nilsreviewsit
Apr 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
‘If those Woaden bastards want this city, they can come over that wall and pry it from our cold, dead fingers! Dark will be the day Orthia bends a knee to that seething horde of motherfuckers!’

Here’s my thoughts taken from our SPFBO review on The Fantasy Hive.

The characters;

I actually liked both characters right from the onset. Lidan and Ran both have cruel and overly ambitious parents who care more for status, or inheritance, than they do for the wellbeing of their children, so I felt sympathy
Adam
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
When loyalty to your family, community, and your own interests are at odds, every choice you make might not ever feel like the right choice. This predicament often rings true in positions of power. If you are an heir born to a family of import such as the ruling family of a tribe or the royal family of a kingdom, you are groomed for a leadership role since the moment of birth. Commitment to your community and upholding your family’s bloodline takes immediate precedence in your life, and your ind ...more
Lukasz
Oct 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Blood of Heirs follows the parallel tales of Lidan Tolak and Ranoth Olseta, two teenagers whose lives don’t go as planned.

Lidan, the eldest of her father’s ten daughters, should become an heir. The only problem - she lives in a patriarchal society that disregards women. Lidan’s father wants a son, and one of his wives may finally fulfil his wish. Lidan’s mother is a maniac willing to do whatever she has to to preserve her daughter’s position.

Ranoth wants to impress his father, the duke, but ev
Michael Fletcher
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this first book and am looking forward to the sequel, LEGACY OF GOATS! Muahaha! Anyway. Good book, very well-written.
Anna Stephens
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this novel, which is brilliantly imagined and depicted. The worldbuilding is easy but detailed - no infodumps here - with varied terrain, peoples and customs adding layers of complexity to the plot and narrative.
Lidan and Ranoth are both likeable heroes, a little naive, but both eager only to do the right thing - not that that works out for them, of course!
Separated by a vast mountain range and cultural differences that seem just as great, they are both cast into peril for ver
Esme
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was actually recommended this by an author I really enjoy and saw some positive reviews on Goodreads for it as well. I was pretty stoked about this book even though I knew nothing about it, haha.

This is a book with dueling POV’s, both of which are younger characters. Lidan is a 12 year old girl who’s the First Daughter of a clan chief known as the Daari. She’s one of 9 girls in the family she is technically the heir until her father has a son. Her father has four wives, but her mother is the F
The Nerd Book Review
2.5. Blood of Heirs is a well written debut novel that was very entertaining by the end but that didn’t really capture my attention until somewhere around halfway through. Old me would have stopped reading by that point though.
I also felt like the book was lacking a bit in depth and I would have liked more world building early on. I wasn’t sure for a long while if we were dealing with a secondary world or a post apocalyptic world.
The book has 2 POV characters.
The first is a girl named Lidan.
Marielle
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-own, signed
Blood of Heirs was definitely my favorite book of our SPFBO batch! It has a good, balanced pace, is well written and takes place in an original world. We get to see two completely different parts of the world created and the words simply painted it to my mind’s eye.
The two main characters are interesting, and both felt complete, but I must say I liked Lidan best. In my favorite scene of the book she gets to show just how badass she is (has become).
It didn’t feel like a self-published book with i
Allan Walsh
May 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Blood of Heirs by Alicia Wanstall-Burke is a debut fantasy novel that follows the separate paths of two protagonists in a dark and perilous world. For the purpose of full disclosure, Alicia is a part of my writers group. Due to circumstance however, I have only met her twice and this is the first time I have had the pleasure of reading her work.

The Cover: This is a good cover for the genre. The image shouts fantasy, the colour hints at the underlying tone of the book, and the font is well contra
Kitvaria Sarene
I really loved this one! It started with a bang for my personal tastes - a female archer running. When running and archery are my hobbies!
After that it felt a bit stereotype at first and I was wary of it would be "just one like the others".

But the farther I got in the better it got. The world and characters grow and more and more things start to get added. This worked really well, as it gave me time to settle in a familiar world and then only bit by bit adding new stuff.

I really enjoyed the fem
Jason Aycock
You know that feeling you get when you’ve read a book you thought you were going to like but it ended up being SO MUCH BETTER THAN YOU EVER EXPECTED? Yeah…that’s the feeling I had when I finished Blood of Heirs. Truth be told that’s the feeling I had while I was reading Blood of Heirs. If you don’t want to read the rest of this review and instead want a short take-away about the book know this; Blood of Heirs is a dark, page turning, coming of age, character driven novel packed with emotion, hea ...more
Nicole
Apr 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Review originally posted at Thoughts Stained With Ink:

Thanks for stopping by to check out another review of one of the finalists for SPFBO 5! It is my last finalist review for SPFBO 5 and I do apologize that it came a day later than promised and is a bit shorter than intended. I've caught a case of the stomach flu or food poisoning or something that just sucks and makes it really hard to not curl up in a ball and collapse, so that's why this review is not as in-depth as I wanted. I apologize!

Ove
Jennifer (bunnyreads)
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spfbo-5, 2020

This one is hard to summarize as it’s quite character heavy- we spend a lot of time getting to know our leads and building their place in this world. There are hints of a bigger over-reaching plot in the background that doesn’t really start to come into play until towards the end, but when it does, it’s with a bang, guaranteeing you will want to come back for the next book.

There are two main characters; at this point their stories are completely separate, only connected through their dealing wit
Stephen Mitchell
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a great debut novel, it had everything you could want. Good characters, mystery, suspense, emotional impact. Yes i shed a tear reading this book. It had an easy style to it that made it a joy to read. And most importantly it makes you want to read the next book. Which i shall do in due time.
Para (wanderer)
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
The ARC provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

Blood of Heirs was a very pleasant surprise. I needed a quick read, something that wouldn’t take me weeks to finish and boy has this book delivered.

He was no different to the rabbit, no different to any game animal pursued through the woods, whether for sustenance or pleasure. He was as hunted as that rabbit, and he’d turned his power on it, despite his already superior strength. What might he do if his pursuer cornered him the w
S A M | The Book in Hand_

Blood Heir is a promising debut and sets itself up for a darkly entertaining second book. I enjoyed reading Blood Heir due to the amazingly beautiful writing style that is Alicia Wanstall Burkes and the great characters, but I did find myself wondering where the story was going.

The beasts, magic/curse, ghosts and monster are all greatly entertaining and really bring the world to life.

Both Lidan and Ranoth were great characters and I enjoyed their journeys, though both did fall flat at times fo
Justine
Apr 21, 2020 rated it really liked it

'We all have ghosts who walk in our shadows, Ran. Just happens some are louder than others.'

Blood of Heirs is Alicia Wanstall-Burke's stunning Dark Epic Fantasy debut brimming with warring nations and abhorrent horrors lurking beneath the dense forest canopy. At its heart, it's a tale of the everlasting battle between duty and forging your own path, set in a rich world where tradition and obligation take precedence. Following the lives of two young protagonists, readers are swept away on a j
Kathryn
3.5★

I wasn’t expecting to like this as much as I did! I’m not normally a fantasy reader, although I don’t mind a bit of time travel occasionally. I read this because a friend picked it - and I am glad I did read it!

I enjoyed the setting of this story - it felt olde-world-ish, I felt sorry for both the main characters and the difficult families they were born into.

I felt as though some of the magic was a bit over-the-top at first, although I know that was kind of the idea! I did get accustomed to
Lisa
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Here we have two stories running parallel to one another–the story of Lidan, a young girl trying to gain recognition so as to be appointed her father’s official heir, and Ranoth, a young prince trying to live up to his father’s expectations as heir. Their stories are quite different, they live in different countries with vastly different cultures, and yet they have some things in common that they are dealing with. Mainly proving themselves to their parents in some way. There’s also a mysterious ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Fortune's Fool (Eterean Empire #1)
  • Kalanon's Rising (Agents of Kalanon #1)
  • A Tale of Stars and Shadow (A Tale of Stars and Shadow, #1)
  • The Sword of Kaigen
  • Blade's Edge (Chronicles of Gensokai, #1)
  • Never Die
  • Beggar's Rebellion (Resonant #1)
  • Spark City (Spark City Cycle, #1)
  • A Sea of Broken Glass (The Lady & The Darkness, #1)
  • Along the Razor's Edge (The War Eternal #1)
  • We Ride the Storm (The Reborn Empire, #1)
  • Smoke and Stone (City of Sacrifice, #1)
  • Legacy of Ash (Legacy Trilogy, #1)
  • A Prince of Song and Shade (A Tale of Stars and Shadow, #2)
  • The Wolf of Oren-Yaro (Chronicles of the Bitch Queen, #1)
  • The Gods of Men (Gods of Men, #1)
  • The Girl and the Stars (Book of the Ice, #1)
  • Chasing Graves (The Chasing Graves Trilogy, #1)
Splitting her time between Central Queensland, Australia and Lancashire, England, Alicia is a writer, a mum and a cat-herder. There are rumours she may in fact be a quokka in disguise, but these are not to be believed.
She began writing in her teens and never grew out of the phase, publishing Blood of Heirs in 2018 and Legacy of Ghosts in 2019.
She has also dabbled in editing and blogging while co

The Coraidic Sagas (2 books)
  • Legacy of Ghosts (The Coraidic Sagas #2)

News & Interviews