Start by marking “The Snake” as Want to Read:
The Snake

The Snake

On a steamy night in Central Park, a sailor returning from South Africa gets mugged. What the mugger doesn't know is that the sailor is carrying a deadly Black Mamba-the most poisonous snake in the world. The sailor is murdered, the mugger is bitten, and the snake slithers off into the underbrush-and becomes the terror of Central Park.

John Godey's fast-paced, no-frills
Published 1979 by Berkeley (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The Snake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Snake

Start your review of The Snake
Dean
Apr 03, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short, fast paced book about a poisonous snake loose in Central Park. It's a little bit dated now, but still a good read.
Rogue-van (the Bookman)
Feb 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rvo-reviewed, sf, fic
Godey's mater-of-fact style makes this snake's presence and activity oh-so-real! A mini-Jaws on land is a good scare. (Profanity, sexual situations, violence, cult.)
Wayne
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Black Mamba terrorizes Central Park in New York. A sailor on leave has the snake in a box, on his way, drunk, to his seldom seen wife's apartment is mugged and shot dead. This sets off the reptile's rampage. A herpetologist. A female reporter, and a put upon cop are trying to catch it. Along with half the city. As well as a religious cult that sees it as a sign from Satan. They want to kill it anyway they can.

This was a really good "creature feature" book. I feel like I took a beginners course
Teresa Crane
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best books I've read in a long time. :) I love scary stuff and it's even better when the "monster" is something real. This could so easily happen too.
And I don't care what anyone else says, I felt sorry for the snake.
James T Smith
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Three Times.

I have read this book three times over the past few years. I highly recommend it. Please Mr. Godey, More books like this one?!
Susan Krutzler
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A book like no other. Yes, I kind of love the snake. Don’t tell anyone.
Madhusudan Chokhra
Apr 17, 2018 rated it liked it
It was the shortest story, I have ever read. It's story is almost similar to many Hollywood movies-The monster is dead but it's eggs are safe and ready to hatch.
Jessica
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
It's basically the first draft of Godzilla (1999) with ever so slightly more likeable characters.
Kwoomac
PhyllisAdelle
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read this MANY years ago when I was still in high school. I remember the cover was a patch of grass with a path made by a snake.
I was most likely too young to read the book, but the story has stayed with me all these years (I'll be 50 in seven days). I felt as if I knew everything I needed to know how mamba's act, feel, and how quickly they can kill you! Also, about staying far away from a mamba in the future! A pretty good read!
Elizabeth Pruett
Dec 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good

Would give it a 4 and a half , but can't. Moves fast and keeps your interest. A great telling of what might happen if a non-native poisonous snake were to be released in a big city. I would recommend this to any one who loves wild life thrillers or even a really good book..
Jeff Rausch
Feb 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Take a Black Mamba one of the worlds most poisonous snakes, notorious for its bad temper, set it loose in Central Park. Mix in a religious cult bent on killing the snake, an overworked police department, a herpetologist trying to save the snake
And a pubic increasingly afraid of the snake and you have a real pot boiler of a novel. This is not to be missed.
Tani
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I visited NYC in 2013, and it was in the summertime too, so I've been able to visualise this story quite well. Great reading right from the start, a little slow in the middle, but the end was epic. Thumbs up from me!
K M
Sep 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A deadly black mamba on the loose in Central Park. This was quite entertaining - like some other reviewers, I was kind of visualizing a campy 1970s movie as I read along. I did learn a bit about black mambas, though.
Annette Hart
Oct 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
I was pleased to find this on Goodreads because now I've discovered the author I can try and get hold of a copy. I loved this book as a teenager and I'd love to reread it - a typical disaster movie but in book form.
Jeff
Aug 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jeff by: Discovered it on my own.

1st Read: August 31, 2016 - September 1, 2016

Always an enjoyable read, though I wouldn't entirely call it a favorite anymore, as my tastes have broadened along with new knowledge of many more interesting things. I will keep this book though.
Sonny
Sep 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
I (like many others) read this as a teenager - bought it from an op shop for 20c and it was the best 20c I'd ever spent! Short read, fast-paced, awesomely scripted. It really was a Hollywood movie and it was even better as I read it in the sweltering heat of a Melbourne summer!
bluetyson
isbn,original
Emily
Mar 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Great fun, oddly enhanced by the campy 1970s tone.
Melinda
Apr 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read the sanitized Reader's Digest Condensed version on openlibrary.org.
Bill
Mar 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
A very quick read and highly enjoyable.
Van
Aug 12, 2012 rated it liked it
I read this book when i was a teenager would have made a great b movie
Sharon Lucas
Mar 22, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Shuddering
  • Slither
  • The Keep (Adversary Cycle, #1)
  • A Different Light
  • The Light at the End
  • Beware!
  • Saurian
  • Shivers
  • The Tomb (Repairman Jack, #1)
  • Summary - A Gentleman in Moscow: By Amor Towles
  • Owls Well That Ends Well (Meg Langslow, #6)
  • Crouching Buzzard, Leaping Loon (Meg Langslow, #4)
  • Revenge of the Wrought-Iron Flamingos (Meg Langslow, #3)
  • Fantasma
John Godey was the pen name of Morton Freedgood.

Freedgood was born in Brooklyn, New York City, New York in 1913 and began writing at a young age. In the 1940s, he had several articles and short stories published in Cosmopolitan , Collier's, Esquire and other magazines while working full time in the motion picture industry in New York City. A WWII U.S.Army veteran he held public relations and