Start by marking “Murder on Trinity Place (Gaslight Mystery, #22)” as Want to Read:
Murder on Trinity Place (Gaslight Mystery, #22)

Murder on Trinity Place

(Gaslight Mystery #22)

The devil's in the details when a man is found murdered near Trinity Church in the latest installment of the national bestselling Gaslight Mystery series...

Published April 30th 2019 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Murder on Trinity Place, please sign up.
Kat Actually yes! Since they got married and Frank became a private detective and is investigating with Gino I can't enjoy the stories! Frank's chemistry…moreActually yes! Since they got married and Frank became a private detective and is investigating with Gino I can't enjoy the stories! Frank's chemistry with Sarah is lost and Meave and Gino are always present with their non interesting romance storyline!
They gather in the Malloy's livingroom and go on and on about the same things of the case and it's annoying when you have to read all this and you have already figured out who the murderer is!
The best ideas and resolutions come from Meave or Gino and Malloy and Sarah have become a sort of match making in the sidelines duo! In the last installment I read Murder on Union square Meave and Gino got more investigating time and I'm really not ok with all this! I believe Murder on Trinity place will be the last book I'll read from this series! It was a mistake that I purchased the last two books! I know for a fact that the author loves the characters of Meave and Gino and believes all her readers feel the same way about them so she won't change things in the future despite the fact that I mentioned to her that she is mistaken so since things have changed in my opinion for the worst I'll find another mystery series! (less)

Start your review of Murder on Trinity Place (Gaslight Mystery, #22)
Julie
Murder on Trinity Place by Victoria Thompson is a 2019 Berkley publication.

A perfect blend of history and mystery!

This is yet another long running series that never seems to lose its charm. In this episode, Frank and Sarah’s neighbor, Theda, hires Frank, after her father, a dairy owner, dies on New Year’s Eve.

Initially reluctant to take the case without giving the proper authorities the chance to investigate, it soon becomes clear the police have been paid to look the other way. So, Frank,
Linda
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
There's always something odd about being normal.

It's New Year's Eve in December of 1899. Throngs of people gather outside around Trinity Church in New York City. It's one of the old-fashioned norms of the holiday in which revelers listen to holiday music streaming from the church as they wait on the threshold of the new year.

Private Detective Frank Malloy and his wife, Sarah, are wrapped in a blanket across their laps in their open air vehicle. They spot their neighbor, Mr. Pritchard, lumbering
Phrynne
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 5000-2019
Good book but finishing it made me sad. No more Frank and Sarah until next April! For someone who has been reading the series one a month for 22 months this is a dramatic moment!

I have really enjoyed the whole series. I have learned a lot of historical fact about New York as well as enjoying the fictional characters who populate the books. As an example Murder on Trinity Place introduces us to the time before pasteurising when the milk children drank was as likely to kill them as anything else.
Jonetta
Frank and Sarah Malloy attend a dinner party at Mrs. Ellsworth’s home to celebrate the recent marriage of her son. His in-laws were there and Clarence Pritchard, Nelson’s father-in-law, behaved rather strangely, leaving in agitation after no one shared his point of view about the upcoming year 1900 being the true new century instead of 1901. When Frank and Sarah run into him on New Year’s Eve outside Trinity Church, he’s forcing his argument on everyone he sees and they’re worried for him. The ...more
Melisa
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
It’s no secret that Victoria Thompson is a favorite of mine - I was even lucky enough to meet her awhile back. I am so sad to have caught up with my favorite series, and will now have to wait for the next installments!

The Gaslight Mystery series is my go to, and here we have another great mystery. I love playing detective along with Sarah and Malloy. The plot, character development, dialogue, and history are all exceptional, as always.

If you’re a fan of historical mysteries, I can’t recommend
Amp
Sep 28, 2018 rated it liked it
I thought when I read the synopsis of this book that it would be a return to what made me love these books in the first place. I adored Sarah and Frank and watching their romance blossom. But I fear that these books are now suffering from "the Moonlighting Syndrome." They got married/together and now they are hopelessly boring. Sarah doesn't even investigate any longer. She founded a birthing center and spends a lot of time just talking about wanting to deliver babies. She seems bored with ...more
Kay
This series have great characters and I love the family dynamic and crime solving in Victorian New York. I did learn something new ... swill milk. How disturbing was that?

This was a quick read and had some good moments. Sadly, dialogues became too repetitive throughout the book, 2.5 stars.
Tammie
The year of 1899 is drawing to a close. Frank and Sarah Malloy are getting ready to celebrate the New Year at Trinity Church when they notice Mr. Pritchard, a relative of their neighbor's behaving oddly and annoying the other revelers. The next morning Sarah and Frank are horrified to learn Pritchard was murdered sometime in the night. Frank and Sarah delve into Pritchard's past and realize there may have been a deadly side to the dawning of the new century.

This was a very enjoyable
Barb in Maryland
I was entertained from start to finish by the latest entry in this long running series.
It's the end of one year (1899) and the start of the next (1900). Whether it is the turn of the century is open to debate. Clarence Pritchard is an avid (some would say rabid) proponent of the view that the 20th Century starts on 1 Jan 1900 and is not afraid to tell one and all. But could that belief have gotten him killed? He was last seen among the revelers on New Year's Eve; his murdered body was found the
Robin
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Frank and Sarah Malloy are at Trinity Church for a New Years Eve celebration. While waiting in their new car, they see their neighbor's father-in-law, Clarence Pritchard, annoying many people with his talk of the new century. Frank tries to talk him into going home with them, but he refuses. The next day comes the news of Pritchard's murder. Nelson and Theda Ellsworth ask Frank to investigate the crime. But not everyone wants this case solved. Someone has paid off the police to look the other ...more
Betty
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The 22nd book of this historical series find Frank and Sarah Mallory involved in finding out who killed Mr. Pritchard who owns a milk farm. He is the father of Thea, a neighbor. The police are not interested in solving this case. While searching for the answer, there is another death, the son of Mr. Pritchard. There are several clues to what happened. The ending is a surprise.
There is information on milk delivery at the turn of century and the cause of many deaths. There is a side story
Paula
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Predictable,but charming nonetheless.8/10.
Minx
True Rating 3.5 stars!

Murder on Trinity Place is the twenty-second book in the Gaslight Mystery series and has Frank and Sarah Malloy intimately involved in the investigation of the murder of a man that many had reason to dislike for his extreme honesty in his opinions about milk and the turning of the century. What had me excited to read this story was the husband and wife investigative duo of Sarah and Frank but, unfortunately, it was mostly Frank doing the investigating while Sarah was
Georgette
May 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, series
I still love the books, don't get me wrong. But they have lost something since Sarah and Frank got hitched. This time, Sarah seems preoccupied with the clinic and the business of delivering babies, more than helping Malloy solve the murder(s) that take place. I miss that dynamic. I also figured out who the guilty party was and why, way too early. Decent book but not edge-of-the-seat and I think they lost some of the spark between the couple, and that hurts the series.
Karen
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mysteries
I was annoyed at this mystery because it broke the rule of Chekhov's gun: The novel began with a brouhaha about whether the new century began on Jan. 1, 1900, or Jan. 1, 1901, but this idea then got dropped by the midpoint of the novel and never returned. That's irritating, and it made me grumble through the second half of the novel.

I'm sad to say it, but I think this series ran out of juice a few novels ago. And that's fair enough -- 22 novels about one set of characters would be hard for
Nattie
Jun 23, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: incomplete
I'm going to give Victoria Thompson a couple more chances to come up with something interesting to me in this series. Overall it was so good in the earlier days but after Sarah and Frank became rich things really took a giant nosedive.

I don't give a crap about Gino and Meave and when books have too much of them in it it's an automatic thumbs down. The murder victim this time around wasn't even close to having an entertaining story.
Jane Night
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Synopsis: Sarah's neighbor has just gotten married and she and Frank are invited to dinner to meet the young bride and her family. Shortly after dinner the bride's father is murdered and Frank is asked to investigate the crime and discover who killed his neighbor's father.

Rating:

4/5

This is a series I have been grappling with my feelings on. I have read all of the books in the series but the last few were lackluster at best for me. I was debating whether to continue this series. For me, this book
Susan in NC
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another enjoyable outing with one of my favorite cozier historical mystery series- I’ve read every book, and am rarely disappointed. This book opens as 1899 is closing and the New Year will bring a new century.

Frank and Sarah Malloy are at Trinity Church to celebrate the New Year when they see a relative of Mrs. Ellsworth, long-time friend and neighbor, acting strangely. Clarence Pritchard is confronting revelers and ranting about when the New Year (and new century) actually begins; Frank tries
Laura Hill
Dec 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I received a complimentary copy of this book from Berkeley Publishing Group through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own. The book will be published on April 30, 2019.

Number 22 in the Gaslight series, this installment has Frank and Sarah Malloy investigating the murder of the ultra-honest, but somewhat fanatical owner of the Pure Milk Dairy on New Year’s Eve in 1899.

Thompson always sets her mysteries within an interesting early 20th century New York City setting.
Betty Strohecker
This latest mystery begins with 1899 coming to a close and a New Year's celebration to welcome 1900 at Trinity Church. Frank and Sarah notice the father-in-law of their neighbor acting strangely, and the next morning he is found dead in the churchyard. After finding out the police chief has been paid not to investigate the murder, Frank takes on the case at the urging of the victim's family. In his search for the truth, family secrets are exposed as well as another murder.

Meanwhile, Sarah has
Linda Smatzny
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this newest book, Sarah and Frank Malloy are asked to look into the murder of the father of a friend. The book is set at the end of 1899 and the beginning of the new century,1900. The murder investigation is hindered by the lies people keep telling. One of the interesting thing about the story was the use of an automobile and how it is viewed by the people of the time as compared to the present time(2019). The book was a quick easy read.
Merle
There's still life in this series, even though there is more focus on younger members of the group. Nelson Ellsworth and his wife take center stage here, as her father becomes a victim. Mr. Pritchard owns Pure Milk Dairy and his very clean business becomes a focal point for many ugly things. A subplot turns out to be delightful, with a young "fallen" woman from a very good family finds a new life with an unexpected hero.

A nice touch is the "Checkered Game of Life", which is a real game invented
Sapphyria
This is the first Gaslight Mystery I've had the chance to read. I don't usually start a series from anywhere but the beginning because I don't like to miss out on world building and character development. I can say, however, that not having read the previous 21 books didn't detract from the story. There were a few things referenced that were unfamiliar to me but in no way caused me to be confused or lack understanding of the current goings-on in the book.

I enjoyed the story and found the mystery
Melissa
An enjoyable series that is generally a quick read. I like how the characters have evolved since book #1 . I'd like to see Mother Malloy get involved in solving mysteries-I feel like she hasn't had the chance to grow like Sarah's mother and even Maeve. I had never heard of "swill milk" so I do appreciate the historical aspects added into the story.

OpenBookSociety.com

ISBN# 9780399586637
Author’s Website: victoriathompson.com
Brought to you by OBS Reviewer Daniele

Synopsis:

The year of 1899 is drawing to a close. Frank and Sarah Malloy are getting ready to celebrate the New Year at Trinity Church when they notice Mr. Pritchard, a relative of their neighbor’s behaving oddly and annoying the other revelers. Frank tries to convince Pritchard to return home with
Kathleen
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I very much enjoyed this mystery, finished while I was away so did not write a review until now.

"The year of 1899 is drawing to a close. Frank and Sarah Malloy are getting ready to celebrate the New Year at Trinity Church when they notice Mr. Pritchard, a relative of their neighbor's behaving oddly and annoying the other revelers"

A series of murders follows Mr. Pritchard's which occurred on New Years Eve but not discovered until the next day. He was NOT murdered because he was annoying! His
Linda
Frank and Sarah Malloy are now happily married secure in their family structure and secure financially, they even own a motor car. In short, they're a little boring.

So is this book.

Victoria Thompson sets it as a 1899 becomes 1900 and uses a dairy owner with recent memories of the New York City milk wars as a backdrop and it's very interesting. So is the description of what it takes to ride safely in the car reaching speeds of 10 MPH. No seat belts but safety goggles are needed.

The usual cast of
Nancy
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible, own-audio
Create
Courtney
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another lovely installment in this long-running series. My favorite secondary storyline was about Black Jack Robinson and Jocelyn Vane.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question N 12 6 Jan 02, 2020 09:56AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question L 8 5 Jan 02, 2020 09:50AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question K 6 5 Jan 02, 2020 09:47AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question I 8 5 Jan 02, 2020 09:37AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question H 7 5 Jan 02, 2020 09:32AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question G 5 5 Jan 01, 2020 04:05AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question F 7 5 Jan 01, 2020 04:02AM

• Triple Jeopardy (Daniel Pitt #2)
  • Love and Death Among the Cheetahs (Her Royal Spyness #13)
  • Murder at Crossways (Gilded Newport Mysteries #7)
  • Who Slays the Wicked (Sebastian St. Cyr, #14)
  • Death in Focus (Elena Standish #1)
  • The Body in the Wake: A Faith Fairchild Mystery
  • Death in Kew Gardens (Kat Holloway Mysteries, #3)
  • A Cruel Deception (Bess Crawford, #11)
  • An Artless Demise (Lady Darby Mystery #7)
  • A Dangerous Engagement (Amory Ames #6)
  • A Christmas Gathering: A Novel
  • Mrs. Jeffries and the Alms of the Angel (Mrs. Jeffries #38)
  • The Book Supremacy (Bibliophile Mystery, #13)
  • Murder at Morrington Hall (A Stella and Lyndy Mystery #1)
  • The American Agent (Maisie Dobbs, #15)
  • Penny for Your Secrets (Verity Kent, #3)
  • Aunt Dimity and the Heart of Gold
  • A Killer Edition (Booktown Mystery, #13)
Victoria Thompson is the USA Today bestselling author of the Edgar and Agatha nominated Gaslight Mystery series and the Sue Grafton Memorial Award nominated Counterfeit Lady Series. She was nominated for an Edgar Award from Mystery Writers of America in 2001, and in 2012 she received a Career Achievement Award in Mystery Writing from RT Magazine. Six of her Gaslight Mysteries were nominated for an ...more

Gaslight Mystery (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Murder on Astor Place (Gaslight Mystery, #1)
  • Murder on St. Mark's Place (Gaslight Mystery, #2)
  • Murder on Gramercy Park (Gaslight Mystery, #3)
  • Murder on Washington Square (Gaslight Mystery, #4)
  • Murder on Mulberry Bend (Gaslight Mystery, #5)
  • Murder on Marble Row (Gaslight Mystery, #6)
  • Murder on Lenox Hill (Gaslight Mystery, #7)
  • Murder in Little Italy (Gaslight Mystery, #8)
  • Murder in Chinatown (Gaslight Mystery, #9)
  • Murder on Bank Street (Gaslight Mystery, #10)