Start by marking “Cuckoo” as Want to Read:
Cuckoo

Cuckoo

There’s a stranger in your house…

When her stepmother dies unexpectedly, Caro returns to her childhood home in Derbyshire. She hadn’t seen Elizabeth in years, but the remote farmhouse offers refuge from a bad relationship, and a chance to start again.

But going through Elizabeth’s belongings unearths memories Caro would rather stay buried. In particular, the story her stepmo
Kindle Edition, UK Edition, 297 pages
Published November 29th 2018 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Cuckoo, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Cuckoo
Michelle
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-arcs
There’s a stranger in your home…

A haunting and twisty story about the lies we tell those closest to us, perfect for fans of Ruth Ware and Cass Green.

Would you like to hear a story about two little girls who did something bad?

We're asking you to be brave and request this book without knowing the title or the plot. If you're approved, you'll get to read a brand new psychological thriller and we ask that you keep everything secret until Halloween 2018 when we'll reveal all...

Now that is clever
Jess☺️
Jan 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Cuckoo by Sophie Draper is that book you've looked forward to reading and when you do it just doesn't hit the spot,it took me a long time to actually get into it,I stayed with it hoping it would get there but it never did I think my problem with this book is I've already read this kind of same plot in another book and it felt a little repetitive but that's my problem for reading the same kind of books 😌.
I would recommend this book it has a great twist and it is a great psychological thriller wit
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I didn't love this one. My feelings about this book are actually pretty mixed. I didn't hate it but I am not really sure that I liked it either. I requested this book on NetGalley when it was listed as Can You Keep a Secret? without any details. I am a curious person by nature and I just had to know about this book that was so exciting it had to be kept secret. I don't think I would have asked for this book if I had known what the ac
Pauline
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
The Cuckoo by Sophie Draper is a creepy psychological thriller that had me hooked.
After the death of her stepmother Caro returns to her childhood home to work on her paintings and clear out the house to be sold. While she is there she has recurring nightmares of her childhood and there are creepy things happening at the house.
Could the place be haunted or is Caro losing her mind? This story was slow building and atmospheric, a perfect read for Halloween.
I would like to thank NetGalley and Avon B
Carrie
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
Cuckoo by Sophie Draper is the thriller that started off as Can You Keep a Secret? for early reviewers with a bit of a twist to the marketing campaign. It also seems to now be listed under Cuckoo and The Stranger in Our Home so I’m not totally sure what the final title for this one will be, perhaps the differences are for different locations.

Anyway, the story centers around Caro who was raised by her stepmother, Elizabeth, in Derbyshire but left home as soon as she could. Caro hadn’t really kept
Jayme
🤫🤫🤫

This was the book that we had to keep a secret till Halloween...unfortunately for me, the marketing ploy was better than the book...which is called Cuckoo (on Netgalley)

Caro returns to her childhood home after the death of her stepmother, Elizabeth. Recently separated from a boyfriend, she decides to take on the task of clearing out the house as she waits for the estate to clear probate, as it will give her a place to stay, and a fresh start. After all, as an illustrator, she can work from a
Miriam Smith
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rachel
I was very excited to be given a copy of "Cuckoo" by Sophie Draper as it was being talked about a lot on social media and I really liked the sound of the blurb.
However, although the premise was intriguing and interesting, I was very disappointed in how repetitive and dull the actual story was, once I started reading it. There were obvious elements of horror and the supernatural but they didn't work for me and sadly found Caro, the main protagonist, constantly wandering around the old house liste
Danielle (The Blonde Likes Books)
I loved the book for the first quarter or so - I felt like the author did a great job setting the stage, and making the book atmospheric. I was intrigued about the odd occurrences that were happening at the house Caro was staying at, and was looking forward to getting some answers.

That said, after the first 25%, I felt like things got really slow. There were pages spent describing a small detail of the house or town, and I found myself struggling to pay attention to those sections - I wanted th
Juli
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
When her stepmother unexpectedly dies, Caro comes "home'' to the farmhouse she grew up in. Flooded with bad memories and strange blank spaces in her recollections, Caro hates the house but longs for a chance to have a fresh start. She's both excited and scared when her sister tells her that she's going to turn the house and the rest of the inheritance over to her. Stephanie says she wants nothing to do with any of it. The minute Caro moves in strange things start to happen and Caro wonders if sh ...more
Louise Wilson
Nov 18, 2018 rated it liked it
When her stepmother Elizabeth dies, Caro returns to her childhood home. The farmhouse offers refuge from a bad relationship. But going through Elizabeth's belongings stirs up bad memories that Caro would prefer that they had stayed buried. Especially the story about two little girls and the terrible things they did. But since her arrival at the family home, strange things have happening. When she goes to the town everyone seems to snub her. There are several things that Caro has erased from her ...more
Lou
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cuckoo, predominantly a work of psychological suspense that also has a fairytale vibe to add intrigue, is a work I admire as any author who attempts to pen a unique novel rather than using the same tired templates is on the path to a possible bestseller. An atmospheric, gothic mystery with plenty of surprises to entertain readers, Draper does a fantastic job of making the story chilling and provides many heart-stopping moments. Haunting with mesmerising description of the rural Derbyshire area, ...more
Misty
Feb 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
The Stranger in our Home was another psychological suspense novel that just failed to resonate and instead left me with more questions than answers. The author also seemed genre-confused and consistently flirted with the inclusion of supernatural elements, but without any follow through. In the end, it wasn’t ghosts or fairies or witches responsible for the chaos, but rather human depravity and immorality.

When the story opens, an anonymous narrator is lying in a hospital bed unable to communica
Judy
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
How could I resist? When I requested this book it had no title, no author, no cover and no descriptive blurb - it just said Can You Keep a Secret? A secret book - how fun! Then once I received the galley I was instructed to go ahead and read it but not to talk about it anywhere until Halloween. I was even more intrigued and excited. Definitely a good piece of marketing!

Let me tell you I was not disappointed. This was a really good psychological thriller that drew you in, kept you hooked and kept
Gary
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this novel with no knowledge of either the book or the author but what a great surprise. Loved the book and I found it completely absorbing. This psychological thriller was given to me to read with the condition that I don't review until Halloween, so I will post a full review then.
I would like to thank Net Galley and Avon Books UK for supplying a copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.
Julie (JuJu)
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An intense and haunting tale of family secrets and deception! Every time I thought I knew where this dark and creepy story was headed...BOOM...another twist blew me away!

I took a leap of faith and requested this book from NetGalley before they revealed the title, author or book cover...then I saw the book cover...WOW! What a chilling book cover! I know, I shouldn’t judge a book by its cover. Still...it’s pretty awesome...am I right?

Two sisters that have lost touch are reconnected after their ste
ʚϊɞ Shelley's ʚϊɞ Book Nook
Can you keep a secret? We're asking you to request this psychological thriller without knowing anything at all. If you're approved to read, please keep everything a secret until Halloween when we will reveal all.

This book gets the dreaded ok. I didn't like the main character very much - she seemed to make every mistake and bad choice possible, and she wasn't very likeable, which is a problem with a first-person narrative. While her actions, decisions and unpleasantness may make her a
Mandy White
Shhh.... its a secret! Review to come
Brandy
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Have you been bad enough? Caro knows how to be bad. But is she bad enough?

Can You Keep A Secret is a lurid, eerie, sinuous tale that keeps you guessing. It makes you realize that everything in life comes at a price. How much are you willing to pay? 4 stars for this read!
Nigel
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, arc
In brief - If you define a book by the fact that you say "I'll just read one more chapter" and you read 3 or 4 this is not a bad read.

I found the prologue to this a very effective and intriguing opening. I certainly wanted to read more. The book really starts with the funeral of Caro's stepmother. Sisters Caro and Steph are both there. However it is immediately apparent that the relationships in the family were and are strained. Steph left home as soon as she could and has avoided any contact wi
Aoife
Sep 11, 2019 rated it liked it
I received an e-copy of this book from the publishers via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
When Caro's stepmother dies, she moves back to her childhood home that she ran away from as soon as she could leave for college. Confronted with past memories, Caro begins to explore what really happened when she was a child and unearths forgotten memories. What really happened between Caro, her stepmother and her estranged sister Steph - who claims to want no part of the inheritance, all that ti
Nicki
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Picture the scene,I was scrolling through Netgalley (as most book addicts probably do every day) when I came across this book. It had no synopsis,no title,it didnt even have a cover yet. Very intreguing and mysterious and being a person who can't resist books that are intreguing and mysterious,I just had to request it. Sometimes taking a risk on something works and sometimes it doesn't. In this case the risk was most definitely worth it.

Cuckoo is a haunting tale set in a beautifully described is
Julie (JuJu)
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it

Two sisters that have lost touch are reconnected after their ste
Rachel Hall
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
After an intriguing prologue, a funeral that bristles with tension and a return to a remote family home full of painful memories, I was hoping for much more from Sophie Draper’s psychological suspense debut. Ultimately, however, I found the novel to be painfully slow-paced and at times confusing as the storyline seemed to go round in circles for the bulk of the novel and leave several pressing questions unexplained. Compounding this is a ludicrously unconvincing conclusion and although there is ...more
Caidyn (NO LONGER ACTIVE; he/him/his)
Shalini
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A hollow creaky house, a haunting melody from the pear drum, a hurl from the bannister, and a hallucinating main character make this book a vortex of swirling visions. Here realities are dreams, and dreams are illusions.

The images painted have their base in stories, and these stories prey on the mind till the canvas is a moving, colorful landscape. Are these real or are these just hallucinations of a damaged mind? Such are the thoughts which run through the protagonist Caro.

After the death of th
Mark
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it

Firstly I enjoyed the area descriptions in the book as set in Derby and Derbyshire and featured places I have known all my life ( family from Derby and most live there, again/still ) and so ‘Carsington Water’, ‘Matlock’ and Derby City Centre where natural to picture in the story

An unusual story as its 80% psychological and 20% fairy tale..ish,for me the 20% fairy tale parts added nothing to the story and I sped past them concentrating on the psychological part
And the psychological part was good,
Lindsey Gandhi
This book had some genius marketing behind it. There was no title, no author attached to it and no description of what the book was about. Only asking you if you can keep a secret. That peeked my interest. Once I received the book I was asked not to tell anyone about it until closer to publication date. So many people were talking about this marketing ploy that I had to see for myself if this book would be worth the hype.

Let me tell you, it was. This was fun, thrilling read. The Cuckoo by Sophi
Robyn
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Caroline “Caro” Crowther returns to her childhood home in Derbyshire after the death of her stepmother. Her estranged sister, Steph wants nothing to do with the estate, so Caro moves into Larkstone Farm to put the house in order while the estate is in probate. This is the perfect opportunity for Caro to start fresh as she just left her abusive boyfriend and had nowhere else to go.. Now that Caro is back at the farm, memories start to return and secrets are slowly revealed. Secrets that have the ...more
Gabriel Blake
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cuckoo is a book I had been waiting to read for a long time: I'm talking since before the title was changed from The Pear Drum. I'd found out about Cuckoo while reading Friend Request, which was runner-up in The Bath Novel Award 2017. I loved Friend Request and thought if this was the runner-up, the book that won the contest must be as good. I know it isn't always the case but in this instance, I was spot on. I do like it when I'm right which believe me, my wife will tell you isn't often.
My bett
Eva
Nov 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Caro returns to her childhood home after the death of her stepmother, Elizabeth. Their relationship had always been a fraught one and they hadn’t seen each other in years. Caro’s memories of her childhood are somewhat patchy in places but going through Elizabeth’s belongings unearths things she may not wish to remember at all. Why do the villagers dislike her so much? Why did Elizabeth hate her?

Strange things start to happen around the house. As an illustrator for children’s books, Caro has a v
Craig a fake? 3 11 Sep 10, 2019 07:58AM

• Don’t You Cry
  • The Family
  • The Nanny
  • The Rumour
  • In Safe Hands (DCI Anna Tate, #1)
  • The Girl Next Door
  • Don't Look Back
  • The Last Lie
  • A Version of the Truth
  • Strangers
  • You Let Me In
  • The Guilty Party
  • The Family Upstairs
Sophie Draper is a Derbyshire based author. Cuckoo is her first book and won the Bath Novel Award 2017. She also won the York Festival of Writing Friday Night Live Award 2017. A second book is due to be published later in 2019.

News & Interviews