Start by marking “Freezing Point (After the Shift Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Freezing Point (After the Shift Book 1)

Freezing Point

(After the Shift #1)

No one could have predicted the terrifying impact of human interference in the Arctic. Shifts in the Earth's crust have led to catastrophe and now the North Pole is located in the mid-Atlantic, making much of the eastern United States an un
Published September 13th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Freezing Point, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Freezing Point

Dana-Adriana B.
Oct 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks-en, netgalley
This is an ARC from Netgalley.
It is a story of survival after a massive climate change. The Tolley family and friends are heading to Detroit, the perfect place to escape, but the journey is not safe and Detroit it is not what they thought it would be.
Robyn
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Eight years ago the world went through a change. The stars in the sky had changed positions and the North Atlantic had started to freeze over. Winters have been worsening for some time now and it does not look like there will ever be a spring or summer. The shift in polar locations had plunged America and Europe into a new Ice age. Nathan Tolley and his wife Cyndi along with their ten year old son Tony, have been living in Glen Falls, N.Y. but, slowly the town is starting to die out as more and ...more
Koeur
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Publishing Date: September 2018

Publisher: Relay

ISBN: 9781726446136

Genre: Post Apoc

Rating: 1.9/5

Publisher’s Description: In the dawn of a new Ice Age, families everywhere are taking to the road to escape the frigid landscape—but you can’t outrun the cold. No one could have predicted the terrifying impact of human interference in the Arctic. Shifts in the Earth’s crust have led to catastrophe and now the North Pole is located in the mid-Atlantic, making much of the eastern United States an unlivab
Stacy
Oct 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I REALLY wanted to love FREEZING POINT and I started off enjoying it, but there were a few things that threw the story off or me.

What I liked:
- I really enjoyed the concept of the book. The world going through an ice age type weather event could happen someday and it was easy to understand.
- There was a lot of action. There was a fight/danger at every turn.

What I didn't like:
- Nathan was way too trusting and naive. It seemed like every turn brought bad decisions on his part that put his fami
Michelle Shemon
Freezing Point
After the Shift Book 1
Grace Hamilton

I love this type of post apocalyptic book. This time a freeze has come over the states. A young family has to head to Detroit and the promised land where things are still good. They are course run into situations both good and bad along the way. That's the fun. There were some great twists and turns to make everything interesting. A good read.
Sandra "Jeanz"
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was ready for a dystopian or post apocalyptic read but wanted a more specific apocalyptic event.

The cover fits the descriptions in the book of the surroundings that are being travelled through very well. I'd say the three figures on the cover are Nathan, Cyndi & Tony, making the cover potentially be a scene from within the book. This cover would make me want to pick it up from a book store shelf to learn more about it.

The genres I have since listed for this book are General Fiction, Sci-F
Cats of Ulthar March of Shoggoths
Review of FREEZING POINT by Grace Hamilton
(After the Shift Book 1)

I've read post-apocalyptic books about nuclear winter, EMP's, pandemics, dystopias, global warming. I think this is the first time I've read one with this particular premise:
an inexplicable shift of the North Pole, plus volcanic eruptions and earthquakes, has caused seemingly unending winter througout the Eastern U.S., Africa, and the UK.
Seems like a nice change of pace from melting Antarctica and terrible hurricanes and unbearab
Fran
Jan 18, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars for this ice age apocalyptic story. Lots of action & human drama. Looking forward to the next one.
Linda Romer
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, reviews
I loved Freezing Point! Great action and edge of your seat story. I just couldn't read this book fast enough. Each chapter was better than the last. The Tolley family had to endure so much along with their friend Freeson and the people they meet along the way. I can't wait to read book 2 because the ending was crazy good.

I give Freezing Point 5 stars for its edge of your seat read.
I would recommend this book to everyone.
Janis
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received this book as an ARC so there are spoilers here! Excellent book! Also, very true to how I believe how the majority of people placed in this situation would truly behave. Many would bury their head in the sand not wanting to leave the safety and familiarity of their homes and towns/cities. Then they are at the mercy of the weather, the road and opportunists that roam the road. I love the characters, they are well developed and you can probably see people you know as each one! A winter t ...more
Debra
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read a fair number of post-apocalyptic books where the world has undergone a catastrophe from plague, zombies, virus, economic collapse and so on. This book falls in the less common catagory of massive climate change. I found this quite refreshing though I think at times the author may have regretted making the permanent winter quite so permanent.

The poles have shifted resulting in volcanoes errupting and a permanent winter. There is dust in the atmosphere meaning little sunshine and there is
Cheryl
Jan 15, 2019 rated it liked it
The seasons of Big Winter

Nathan Tolley and his wife, Cyndi live with their son in Glen Falls, New York. Nathan is a mechanic and tow truck driver like his father before him.

The world hasn't been the same since the Earth's crust shifted eight years ago and now the North pole is in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, throwing a good portion of Canada, the U.S. and Europe into perpetual winter, so bad it might even be an extinction event.

The weather and raiders cause Nathan, his pregnant wife, son an
Jessica Rachow
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Freezing Point takes post-apocalyptic in a different direction than the normal zombies and virusus. In this story, the Earth undergoes a massive climate change. The poles have shifed resulting in a permanent winter.

Our main character Nathan, his wife Cindi and son Tony hear that Detroit is a safe place to live, and make the decision to leave their home to travel there. The characters are immediately relatable, and as a reader I could put myself in their shoes and feel their emotions.

The world bu
Illustrious Illusions
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was one of those books I sat discussing with my husband as I was reading...Could this work? What would we do in this situation? That situation?

Freezing Point is a compelling that twists here and there, a mishmash of characters that don't really belong together but fit just right.

I'm really looking forward to the next book in the series...because the ending is a little bit of a cliffhanger - their ride is definitely not over ;)
Landpomeranze
Although I don't like snow and I don't like the cold in real life I love reading about it :-)
So this is another natural disaster story, this time it's endless (?) winter and a group of people trying to get from A to B fighting freezing temperaturs, snow and of course some bad guys. All in all not a bad story albeit sometimes a bit farfetched. It kept me interested enough to start the second book right away.
Tina Bailey
Sep 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Had room for improvement.

I like the storyline. The repetition is overwhelming. We are told over and over again how tired, hungry, beaten down, and scared the group is in paragraph after paragraph. Believe me when I say we get it! There's no way a person could not be all those things in a catastrophic situation. Nathan is weak, and that's not good starting out when your life as well as those you love are on the line, but thankfully he finds his manhood along the way. I am interested in the next b
Cherye Elliott
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
A point?

I debated reading this book. Ms. Hamilton's books are entertaining BUT they are written where a liberal is the main character. This is an apocalypse situation. You may not like guns but you better be friendly with them. But I read the book. I can see where it is going.

Fav quote:
Paranoid Conspiracy Prepper

In the blurb for book 2......tell me what's wrong.
The woman, after telling one of the figures in the widow, the one with the semi-automatic,
Jerry Mount
Nov 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Not a bad entry in the "Post-Apocalypse Journey" genre. Here, the apocalypse is Super-Winter in the northeast USA due to fast climate change and a shift in the polar axis. Not a lot of effort is made to explain the causes. Just as well. Saves a lot of pseudo-science and techno-babble that wouldn't convince many readers anyway. The story is about the survivors, their decisions, and their journey. This is not great literature, and there are some errors of fact and writing. But I found the story pr ...more
Wolfgirl18
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow!! This was a very intense read. I don't normally read this type of book but decided to give his one a shot. After the climate change and most of the U.S. is covered in snow and ice making it the new North Pole, Nathan must decide whether to stay home with his newly pregnant wife and ten year old son or move on. The choice is made for them when scavengers attack and it is no longer safe. They meet people along their journey, some good some bad. Heading to Detroit to safety is a long hard trav ...more
Marianne
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting end of the world tale with some good characters. A never ending winter sounds horrific and this was well written in portraying that. Nathan is a good guy and does come into his own as the story goes along but Cyndi is awesome out of the box. Freeson and Nathan’s friendship and joking added a bit of humor. Tony and his health conditions upped the drama. They set out to their new destination and gather an interesting gang along the way. The descriptions of the setting and and struggle ...more
Donna Leathwaite
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished
The wold has been thrown into another ice age due to Volcanic eruptions but some parts of the world have faired better than most and as gangs start killing to take what they want ,people are forced to make life saving decisions.
This is the story of Nathan, his wife Cindy, and their young son. When Cindy finds out she is pregnant with their 2nd child and the hospital in their town is closed down this means that the nearest one is over 50 miles away, and then their home is attacked Nathan and Cind
Susan Angela Wallace
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Freezing point by Grace Hamilton.
Nathan Tolley is a talented mechanic who has watched his business dry up due to gas shortages following the drastic tectonic shifts. His wife, Cyndi, has diligently prepped food and supplies, but it’s not enough to get them through a never-ending winter. With an asthmatic young son and a new baby on the way, they’ll have to find a safe place they can call home or risk freezing to death in this harsh new world.
This was a good read. I liked the story and the chara
Alisa
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love the premise!

Grace Hamilton has a style all her own and it works very well. I have yet to see anyone else come up with this scenario for TEOTWAWKI and it's a great one. Without spilling too much, the earth slipping it's axis would definitely qualify as TSHF. I love that she doesn't get caught up in the blueprint analysis of the latest and greatest tank, air plane, pea shooter, just fill in the blank, like so many male authors do. I can't wait for book 2. I'm hoping this will end up a series
Pat Eroh
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love post-apocalyptic stories that are not zombies so this story grabbed and kept my interest. I was fascinated by the imagination of what could happen in the universe and how it could change our lives. I was pleased that this is one of the only stories I have read that did not seem to blame humans for the problems because clearly, volcanoes are much more powerful than any number of humans thrown together. So the story was very well written and I very much enjoyed reading this.

I received a fre
Deb Randolph
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome!!

I began reading this book with an indifferent attitude. That attitude quickly changed and by page two I was hooked. The characters came to life in my mind and, after a while, I felt as if I knew them. Each step of their journey through the new world of snow and ice kept me reading until morning (I finished this book at 3:30 am). I would love to keep telling how much I enjoyed this, but it would take too long and I want to start reading the next book in this series.
Julianne Adams
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book!

A polar shift, Earth's axis changing, seismic activity, volcanic eruptions...all have caused the worst climatic change imaginable and you can only hope to survive. North America is now in the grips of an apparently endless, frozen apocalypse. Nathan and his family are struggling to get from Glens Falls, NY to Detroit. The story is full of action and the characters are folks you can't help but care about. Highly recommend for those who like apocalyptic fiction.
Michelle
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Freezing Point is an intriguing post apocalyptic story about a young family and their journey to safety. The story had me on the edge of my seat through every twist and turn this family went on. This book is well written, has believable characters and it really makes you wonder how each of us would react if this really were to happen in the future. I voluntarily reviewed an advanced reader copy of this book.
Urszula
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The winter do not want to finish. Why? It is cold with blizzards in May. What to do? How to survive? How to protect the family? No police. No hospital and you have a sick kid. Trust? .... Better not.
Well written book. Good plot and background. Those are things I pay a lot of attention to. Great read.

BarbaraH
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great story of survival in world that has changed. The weather has become worse each day and now there are terrible blizzards. Their are hardly any people left in town as the Schools have closed and jobs are no longer. Time to decide whether to stay in their cozy home or leave to the unknown. Only the decision will not be theirs.
Irene
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Freezing Point by Grace Hamilton. Good start to what appears to be an interesting post apocalyptic series. Ended with a cliffhanger that hopefully will be resolved in the next book. Until then....try to keep warm.

Thank you to the publisher, author, and NetGalley for the opportunity to preview the book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Mass Hysteria
  • Broken Chain
  • Protocol One (Protocol One Saga #1)
  • Cinema of Shadows (Harmony, Indiana, #2)
  • Leave the Living
  • Berried at Sea (A Cranberry Cove Mystery Book 4)
  • God's Play
  • Crazytown (Darren Lockhart Mysteries #1)
  • Thresher: A Deep Sea Thriller
  • Aurelia (Roma Nova #4)
  • Raven's Ridge
  • Fall Back (Collapse: New Republic Book 1)
  • Dead Lil' Hustler (A Loon Lake Mystery #14)
  • The House by the Cemetery
  • Fairy Tale Murders
  • Crispy Critters
  • We Are The Destroyers (We Are***Are We, #1)
  • Fire Sorcerer (The Sentinels #1)
Grace Hamilton is the prepper pen-name for a bad-ass, survivalist momma-bear of four kids, and wife to a wonderful husband. After being stuck in a mountain cabin for six days following a flash flood, she decided she never wanted to feel so powerless or have to send her kids to bed hungry again. Now she lives the prepper lifestyle and knows that if SHTF or TEOTWAWKI happens, she’ll be ready to help ...more

After the Shift (3 books)
  • Killing Frost (After the Shift Book 2)
  • Black Ice (After the Shift Book 3)