Start by marking “The Shield of Nike (War on the Gods Companion Story, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Shield of Nike (War on the Gods Companion Story, #1)

The Shield of Nike

(War on the Gods Companion Story #1)

Valeria is in love with her best friend, Greg, and has been for years. But they can’t be together, because after they graduate high school they’ll be on opposite sides of the country. This seems to be Valeria’s greatest dilemma—until a freak storm ambushes the two on a hike a few miles outside their town.

During the storm, Greg is injured, and a strange shield falls from
Published January 12th 2019 by Sea of Ink Press

To ask other readers questions about The Shield of Nike, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shield of Nike

Start your review of The Shield of Nike (War on the Gods Companion Story, #1)
Dianne
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Her best friend said he loves her and just as Valeria worked up the nerve to say she loved Greg, too, the unthinkable happened. Greg lay dying and Valeria is hears a voice, urging her to use her powers to save him. What powers? Whose voice is booming in her head? How has Valeria gotten caught up in a war between the gods and humanity? Is she dreaming or is this a nightmare of epic proportions?
Can she save Greg?

A.P. Mobley’s short story, THE SHIELD OF NIKE is the story of a teen who is about to
L.J. Bus
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
A short but well written story

I have listened (audiobook is well performed) to this story without any prior knowledge about on the “War on the Gods” series, never realizing it’s a companion story to that series. But the story in itself is good and I never felt like I missed some vital parts. And it left me wondering to the series because I want to know what happens there!
So all in all, an enjoyable story that leaves you wanting for more
Alessandro Reale
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed Mobley's debut novel, The Helm of Darkness, and I was looking forward to the rest of the entries in the War on the Gods series. When I found out about the companion story, The Shield of Nike, needless to say, I was pretty stoked. I needed something to hold me over until the sequel to Helm was released.

The Shield of Nike follows Valeria, a young teenager who finds herself caught up in the middle of a war between humans and, you guessed it, the Greek pantheon. But she doesn't
Angi Plant
Jan 29, 2019 rated it liked it
3 out of 5 (good)

Independent Reviewer for Archaeolibrarian - I Dig Good Books!

I did enjoy this companion novella but it was a bit on the side of being too brief. I know this is the point of a novella but it doesn’t give enough detail.

Valeria is in love with Greg who’s her best friend. And here the Greek Gods come into play. It’s nice to see Nike mentioned and given a character as a less known and therefore talked about God.

Valeria is a reluctant heroine who has to save the world to save
JK
Mar 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
Last year I read the first instalment of the War on the Gods series, The Helm of Darkness , and loved it. I was delighted when Mobley got in touch again to ask me to review the companion novel, The Shield of Nike.

It’s a gorgeous little insight into the storm we experienced in Helm, and I enjoyed the idea that more people were affected by it than we initially realised. It’s a difficult task to talk about this one without spoiling anything; it’s so short and fast-paced that it’s pretty much
Karen Field
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
From the beginning, I was swept into the story and was eager to continue reading. A bit of greek mythology, together with an end-of-the-world theme and a touch of zombie fever, made this a good read. The writing style was easy to read. The two main characters blended well together.

My biggest dislike was the fact that the story was concise. By that, I mean extremely short. I finished it in two short sittings. I wanted more, and I guess that is a good sign.

The book is described as a companion
Jasmine
Nov 23, 2019 rated it liked it
I don’t usually read novellas but I thoroughly enjoyed this one! It gave me a bit of Percy Jackson vibes. Although I was able to read it in less than hour, I wish it had way more details. It seemed as if it was a tiny bit rushed. I know it’s supposed to be short but I just felt like something was missing. Overall, I loved it!
Stars In Her Eye
It was hard to decide how to rate this novella. The narration is terrible. It's flat and monotonous. Instead of getting me into the story, it tried to lull me to sleep. for some of the dialogue, she put a little more effort but over all the narration made an exciting story dull.
The story is interesting. It seems the Greek Gods are on the war path and have destroyed the town our heroine lived. Only with the help of Nike, does she make it out alive. I really like this switcheroo on the gods and
Stephanie Cover2CoverBlog
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novella, ya
Are you looking for a quick fantasy read and to start a new series, this book will be great! I read this short story in one sitting and it was wonderfully paced. The story takes place before the War on the Gods series begins and it is action packed.

Valeria must learn her true nature and take on monsters to save the boy she loves, while a premise we see often it was still fun to read this story. Valeria is stubborn but strong and she takes to the goal well (eventually). I don't want to go into
Jonathan
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was given this book in exchange for a review. Though this book was very short it was packed with a lot of action. Thoroughly enjoyed.
Pages For Thoughts
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
This a quick, fun read! I loved Valeria's sarcastic, funny attitude that made her character come alive! I enjoyed her inner dialogue and internal conflict that made her character come alive! The imagery was fantastic and I could fully envision every detail. This tale was extremely fast paced and exciting. I am impressed at the quality of writing and plot development for such a short tale. Read my full review at http://pagesforthoughts.blogspot.com/...
Charlotte
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Greek mythology becomes reality for Valeria when a freak storm changes her world (literally), Greg, the boy she loves, is taken and she's pulled into a dangerous journey of self-discovery and adventure.

Although short and a good story I would have liked Greg's character to be fleshed out a bit more. Why? Well, if the main character loves someone I'd like to know more about them. I want to fall in love with them too, be afraid for them, ache to have them back (yes, I'm a romantic!)

Apart from that
Amy Shannon
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wonderful Fantasy

Mobley pens a great story in Shield of Nike. This isn't the first book of Mobley's that I've read and it won't be the last. I thoroughly enjoyed this story. Valeria is a remarkable character but needs a little more umph or something. I do like the story and the premise, and wonder if the search for Greg is more important than saving the world and figuring out who she is, who she truly is. It's an adventure with twists and turns and a unique perspective. I look forward to reading
Sarah Carner
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I definitely enjoyed this. It is a prequel. I think I would have enjoyed more though if I read the Helm of Darkness FIRST. Won't do that again! It's a quick, fun read. Action, romance, monsters and Greek Gods = a good time.
Stephanie
Vivek
Gabrielle Ragusi
Feb 06, 2019
A.P. Mobley
Aug 21, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Igrowastreesgrow
Tasha
Nov 22, 2019
Valerie
Nov 27, 2019

• Enlighten Series: The Complete 3 Book Collection: Swords & Stilettos, Daggers & Dresses, and Wings & Wars (Enlighten Series Boxset 2)
  • The Edinburgh Seer  (The Edinburgh Seer #1)
  • Rune Kingdom: A Standalone Epic Fantasy: Uncommon World: Northern Isles
  • Fire in Frost (Crystal Frost, #1)
  • Valkyrie Landing (Valkyrie Allegiance, #1)
  • Demigods Academy: Year One
  • Desire in Frost (Crystal Frost, #2)
  • Inspired by Frost (Crystal Frost, #3)
  • Fading Frost (Crystal Frost, #4)
  • Horrid Charms (Royals of Villain Academy #4)
  • Dragon Academy (Dragon Riders Academy Book 1)
  • Reckless Treasure
  • Sinister Wizardry (Royals of Villain Academy #3)
  • Vile Sorcery (Royals of Villain Academy, #2)
  • Cruel Magic (Royals of Villain Academy, #1)
  • The Sorcery Trial (The Faerie Race #1)
  • Cursed by Fire (Blood & Magic #1)
  • The Queen of All that Dies (The Fallen World, #1)
A. P. Mobley is a young-adult fantasy author with an undying love for Greek mythology and epic, magical tales. She grew up in Wyoming and currently lives there, working part-time as a substitute teacher and studying to earn her degree in English. She considers herself a huge nerd, loves chocolate a little too much, and can be found snuggling with one of her pets into late hours of the night.