Start by marking “The Antares Maelstrom” as Want to Read:
The Antares Maelstrom

The Antares Maelstrom

(Star Trek: The Original Series)

The final frontier erupts into chaos as vast quantities of a rare energy source are discovered beneath the surface of Baldur-3, a remote planet beyond the outer fringes of Federation space. Now an old-fashioned "gold rush" is underway as a flood of would-be prospectors, from countless worlds and species, races toward the planet to stake their claim.

The galactic stampede th
Published August 13th 2019 by Gallery Books; Simon & Schuster

Start your review of The Antares Maelstrom
Lois
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting story that used everyone, not just a focus on one or two crew members. It's called the Antares Maelstrom because the pieces happen around it - and it's an area of space where you just don't want to cross (the Kessel run of Star Trek in a way). You can't cross it without getting destroyed, but of course, this adventure is taking place on planets and a space station around it, and that's where most of the book takes place. I won't repeat the whole plot line, that you can ju ...more
Christopher
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Antares Maelstrom takes Enterprise Kirk, Uhura and the rest of the gang are dispatched to the Planet Baldur III which is dominated by an area of space known as The Antares Maelstrom that is supposedly impassible and has stories of ships going in and never been seen again! :D Naturally mysteries abound! :D Compounding this is the rumour that there are strange creatures that inhabit the Maelstrom! :D Baldur III itself is a non Federation world - an independent colony - which gives the story a ...more
Stephanie
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-book
THE ANTARES MAELSTROM: Focus on the Crew
A gold-rush is still a greed-rush even in STAR TREK’s future.

I voluntarily reviewed an advance reader’s copy of this book. No remuneration was exchanged and all opinions presented herein are my own except as noted.

Kirk takes a back burner in the action in THE ANTARES MAELSTROM, although he doesn’t stop leading his crew by trusting them to work remotely without micromanagement. Several of the primary bridge crew is se
Daniel Pitterman
Sep 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
I know it is very difficult to write a book. I certainly could never do it so I feel badly dismissing someone’s hard work. However, it got published, so I guess I shouldn’t feel too badly. I read all the Star Trek books and they have always been hit or miss. This is a huge miss! Greg Cox has done fine Star Trek work in the past but this is so bad I actually cannot believe it WAS published. The simultaneous plots are all pretty poor. Separating all the main characters is a cliche, and it weakens ...more
Daniel Kukwa
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
If there were any more plot packed into this novel, it would explode...and frankly, I could do without the prime directive/tea sub-plot, which feels like one plot too many. That said, even though there's enough plot-whiplash for two novels, it's undeniably exciting & interesting, and gives everyone in the crew their moment to shine. It also uses uses its fanwank elements with precision, and I welcome the return of the kick-ass Yeoman from "The Apple". A very satisfying, if overly-stuffed, turkey ...more
Dan
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek, tos, e-books
A fun TOS story that makes numerous callbacks to original Star Trek episodes. Every member of the main cast is given an interesting part to play, and the story feels like a good old-fashioned TOS adventure. While some may bristle at the large number of plotlines the story juggles, I found myself enjoying each one. A great entry in the long-running TOS book line!

Full review (video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu__x...
Paul Lunger
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
With "The Antares Maelstrom", Greg Cox puts together one of the more complicated stories done in a while in Original Series fiction with a title that doesn't really apply & yet ends up with a book that is one of his better works for the most part. The premise starts out relatively simply with the Enterprise being summoned to Deep Space Station S-8 which is being overrun by travelers trying to get to the planet Baldur III which has had a discovery of pergium & set off a 23rd century gold rush to ...more
Unseen Library
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My bold new voyage down into the depths of Star Trek extended fiction continues as I review the latest exciting novel tied into Star Trek: The Original Series, The Antares Maelstrom by Greg Cox.

Get ready for a good old-fashioned “gold rush” on the outskirts of Federation space, as vast quantities of a rare and valuable mineral vital for energy production is found on the remote planet of Baldur-3. The sparsely populated planet is quickly overrun by a horde of opportunists from all over the galaxy
Solitairerose
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I read a media tie-in book, I just want a solid adventure with the characters. If it gives more insight into them, fills in a continuity hole, or provides more background, that would be icing on the cake. The Antares Maelstrom is a well done cake, by those measures, and reads as if it is an extra-long episode of the original TV series.

The plot splits the crew up into three groups, each having a piece of the story to resolve. This works well for Cox, who has shown he can juggle multiple plot
Tim Ristow
Jun 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a fun read! The Antares Maelstrom held my interest from beginning to end. Greg Cox writes in the classic tradition of the best Star Trek novels.

SPOILER ALERT!

Cox alternates between 3 connected storylines, each progressing the story forward with different members of the Enterprise crew. It works very well and helps propel the momentum of the story. The jump between the storylines seems to happens right when you need them to - and keeps any of the 3 storylines from becoming too stale at onc
Susan Rubinstein
May 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this, although enough already with the "Great bird of the galaxy" comments sprinkled throughout all the novels. It was amusing the first time; now I find it annoying.

I was ready for a lighter entry in my reading and this certainly started out that way. Kirk takes a back seat to the other characters and they shine. Particularly Sulu.

The jumping back and forth between planets, space stations etc didn't bother me. I was able to follow along with no problem. We got a good look at the out
Elliot Weeks
Jul 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Greg Cox is a longtime Trek author (among many other franchise tie-in novels) but somehow this was the first book of his I’ve read. I was not disappointed!

This was a fantastic read—I absolutely loved how he separated the crew into different stories and missions. It allowed me to focus on these beloved characters more or less one at a time and really enjoy my time with each of them. I also really liked each independent storyline and how they all intersected in one way or another. The book was wel
Sharon
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun adventure story, set during the original Five-Year timeline. A rush of prospectors wishing to get rich quick flock to a non federation planet, overtaxing the locals. The Enterprise comes to help, but Kirk splits the crew up. Sulu has to remain on an overwhelmed Space Station, the last stop before said planet, Spock and Chekov are off to stop some smugglers and preserve the Prime Directive, and McCoy and Scotty are on the planet surface working with limited resources. The story switches bac ...more
PrincexofxFlowers
Jun 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was the first Star Trek book I've read after recently starting to watch TOS and I enjoyed it way more than I thought I would. Usually I don't think of myself as a huge sci-fi fan but the characters were so well written and the narration was engaging and funny and the plot was so easy to get invested in that I can't give this book anything other than five stars.

I've looked around at some other reviews and I have to say the plot with Spock and Chekov investigating the contraband tea was actua
Eve
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019
When Khan said he’d chase Captain James T. Kirk “‘round the Antares Maelstrom” in the 1982 film Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, audiences knew nothing about this galactic whirlpool. Presumably, it was a dangerous area to circumnavigate if the genetically enhanced supervillain name-checked it like that, but that’s all anyone has had to go by for the last 37 years. Now, we’re finally getting a look at the famed location in The Antares Maelstrom, a new Star Trek: The Original Series novel from Gre ...more
Kieran McAndrew
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When the inhabitants of the independent colony Baldur III discover cast quantities of pergium, a prospecting rush sees freebooters and adventurers converge on the planet to stake a claim.

Kirk and the 'Enterprise' crew soon find that the numbers of prospectors keen to exploit planetary resources are almost as many people keen to protect the planet. At any cost.

Cox's novel works well in general, but lets itself down in unravelling an unnecessary mystery that weaves its way through the novel by not
Andrew Beet
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another good Star Trek novel from Greg Cox one thing I didn't like that the crew were split up e.g Spock and Chekhov on yurnos must admit I liked the storyline with sulu when he meets up with an old flame and then you had Kirk on the enterprise and Scotty was sorting out the ship thunderbird overall it was a very good read I just like reading original series novels where the whole crew are involved in whatever mission it is. I did enjoy it just not as much as the other Star Trek novels that Greg ...more
David Hamilton
May 15, 2020 rated it it was ok
Seems to me this story didn't know what it really wanted to be. A "gold rush"? A violation of the Prime Directive? A swashbuckling foray into the Maelstrom? A sinister plot to undermine Starfleet? The problem is, in my view, that because the story often went all over the place, it was difficult to get excited about it. I think if the author had chosen one main story arc, and stuck with it, the story would have been stronger.

Still, it was okay. It's Star Trek TOS so you know what you're getting.
Mrklingon
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Boldly go!

A nice adventure in TOS Trek - always worth the time.

This adventure by Cox, a master at weaving together all sorts of canonical Trek details splits the action between three scenes - a space station, a frontier colony and a pre-warp civilization on the verge of Prime Directive violating contamination. It's a nice mix and Cox does a good job shifting from one crisis to another as our heroes work to solve some problems!
Rex Libris
Oct 01, 2019 rated it liked it
The Enterprise has to go to a frontier, gold rush to maintain order and keep the peace. The crew has to split up to do this. They encounter different groups of bad guys who bad things. But this is Star Fleet, and they overcome by Goodness!

The story quality is on par with what you expect from original Trek episodes. It was a real chore getting through about the first third of the book, but then the story picks up and gets better.
Debbie Bauler
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book makes good use of the entire Enterprise crew, allowing each to shine in a portion of the story. It is a nice break from the main three characters. The slow parts though tended to be referencing previous adventures of the crew which slowed the flow of the story. Roddenberry had it right - just point the phaser and shoot, don’t explain how it is done.
Scott Williams
May 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
I found this quite entertaining. Cox crafts interesting stories for Sulu, Uhura, and Spock and Chekov. I really enjoyed spending more time with Sulu and Uhura. It’s rare that writers give them much to do outside of the bridge of the Enterprise.

For those who live details, Cox has liberally sprinkled in references to other Trek stories.
CJ
Jul 14, 2020 rated it liked it
An adventurous return to the original five-year mission with its familiar crew. Fast paced and played out like an episode, the author does a great job of not only capturing the characters, but giving each crew member significant roles beyond the norm, even some ‘one episode’ characters from previous voyages. Nice outing for Trekkies
Travis Cummins
Jul 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Solid trek book but the normal main characters are in a more supportive role this time with sulu getting much of the attention along with Scotty in the biggest events of the book. Sad not to see much of Bones and Spock banter I look forward to in a trek book but the story that was there was well crafted and well worth my time.
Brett
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A 4/5 is basically a 7/5 on the usual scale of Star Trek books. Definitely agree with the assessment that there might be just one too many plots in this book (the tea plot was kind of unnecessary) but as far as Star Trek fiction goes this was a good one.
Jay
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-trek
Honestly haven't read a Star Trek original series book for a while, but took a chance on this one and it was excellent. Easily one of the best I've ever read.

Well done Greg Cox! Reads like a long episode and a really good story.
HistoryBuff
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good read, not as great as other Greg Cox Star Trek novels, but ok. Not much action, Kirk is not in a lot of the adventures going on in the story. I received the book as a gift, I would wait till you can get it on sale or at the library.
Adam Kempshall
Yet another below average 5-year-mission story. Could have been any collection of characters on any ship lurching between three different storylines. With so many parts of the Star Trek literary universe filled with unfinished stories it's a shame we aren't seeing more books focused on them.
Aron
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.0 Stars. This was a good solid TOS story in which pretty much the whole crew gets their moments to shine. Greg Cox, as always, does a great job with the characterizations making it easy to just kick back and enjoy. If you like ST books then you'll like this one, highly recommend.
Ron Hartley
Nov 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Not a bad book.

A boom town planet with Kirk, Mc Coy, Scott and Uhura trying to save the day.

Sulu is on DS S-8 with characters that remind you of another DS #.

Spock and Chekov are under cover eles where.

It's entertaining

• The Captain's Oath
  • The Higher Frontier
  • Collateral Damage
  • Star Trek: Discovery: The Enterprise War
  • Agents of Influence
  • The Unsettling Stars (Star Trek)
  • Available Light
  • The Last Best Hope (Star Trek: Picard #1)
  • Die Standing
  • Dead Endless
  • Star Trek: More Beautiful Than Death
  • The Face of the Unknown (Star Trek: The Original Series)
  • Fortune of War
  • Star Trek: The Motion Picture (Star Trek: The Original Series #1; Movie Novelization #1)
  • Best Defense (Star Trek: Legacies #2)
  • Purgatory's Key (Star Trek: Legacies #3)
  • Enigma Tales