Start by marking “Dead In The Water” as Want to Read:
Dead In The Water

Dead In The Water

In 1978, two tortured corpses were discovered in the sea off Guatemala. Hooded, bound with ropes and weighted down with heavy engine parts, Chris Farmer and his girlfriend Peta Frampton were still clinging to life when they were thrown from a yacht on which they had been crewing.

This is the gripping account of how Chris's family painstakingly gathered evidence against the
Published August 9th 2018 by John Blake Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Dead In The Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead In The Water

Valerity (Val)
Dead in the Water: My Forty-Year Search for My Brother's Killer

This is the new edition which has been updated for the US release. I read the original UK edition in August 2018 and you can find my original review for the first book below-

I recommend this for real true crime readers as it is well written and researched since the author is an experienced journalist. Meet Penny and learn of her family's decades-long heartbreak and grief behind this incredibl
Valerity (Val)
Oliver Clarke
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fascinating, gripping and often moving account of a brutal double murder and the impact of that crime on the families of both the victims and the perpetrator.
In 1978, Chris Farmer and his girlfriend Peta Frampton, were murdered whilst travelling in Central America. Although there was a clear suspect in the case, Silas Duane Boston, the American captain of a boat they were travelling on, the crime went unsolved for almost four decades. The book is written by Penny Farmer, sister of Chris, who
richard
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How many more criminals are alive who should be locked up but are not due to police incompetence? Hard to put down and i was moved to tears on many occasions. There is undoubted risk in traveling the World but we should be able to trust the police to at lease follow leads and information. Sadly my recent experience of ask8ng the police for help is that,like water, they take the path of least resistance to make their lives easy.

How many more criminals are alive who should be locked up but are no
Sharon Gregory
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A story to be told

Saw Penny's interview on This morning wanted to know the full details so downloaded the book read in one sitting. Heartbreaking and thoughtful that some people are fated to pack such a lot into their short lives they're passion for travel and experiences was consuming in a time where trust was openly given ......to the wrong person .This is a tale of Facebook being used for the good. Interesting read
Elizabeth
title: Dead In The Water
Author : Penny Farmer
Genre: Nonfiction- true crime
Netgalley ARC
pages 288
Book synopsis
In July 1978, two bodies were discovered in the sea off Guatemala. They were found to be the remains of Chris Farmer and his girlfriend Peta Frampton, two young British graduates. Having been beaten and tortured, then thrown, still alive, into the sea, their bodies had been weighted down and dumped from the yacht on which they had been crewing. For nearly forty years, no one was charged
Susan Angela Wallace
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
dead in the water by Penny Farmer.
this was a great read it was very moving in places and I was close to tears in places too. very hard to put down. 5*.
Irene Young
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An absorbing story

I had never before heard the story of Dr Chris Farmer and Peta Frampton but what a story it was.How cruel it was that these young people with such potential were murdered in this most awful manner.
A book I could not put down.Penny Farmer did a great job in bringing this case to a conclusion but what had luck the murderer died before justice was really done.Dr Chris Farmers mother is a remarkable women and I am so glad she lived a long life so she would know the true story of th
Kelly Drewett
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in one weekend. As a True Crime book, it is not my usual genre but this book is really well put together; a memorial for two young, intelligent people murdered on a boat whilst travelling the world. I would recommend it.

The tasteful story-telling takes the reader through the trials and tribulations of the families during and after (38 years after) the horrendous fate of Chris and Peta.

It provides an understanding of the events leading up to the murders and an insight to the mi
A W
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
In 1978, recently qualified doctor Chris Farmer and his fiancée Peta Frampton disappeared whist on a round the world trip. A few months later their horribly mutilated bodied were found floating in the sea off Guatemala. Penny Farmer tells the story of the thirty-eight-year hunt for Silas Duane Boston, the man who killed them along with maybe thirty other people over his criminal career.
The true crime shelves of the average bookshop are crowded with titles, most attached to books engaged in a sa
Mccluskey1
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very good sad that it’s a true story
Pamela
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I chose to read this book because of a brief newspaper article I read about this true crime story. My expectations were fairly low, but I just wanted to know about the story. I wasn't looking for anything beyond that. But it was actually well written and enjoyable. It is a tragic story and very sad. But I'm happy that the families of the victims and the sons of Silas Duane Boston were able to uncover the truth and heal as best as possible. It is a really interesting read. If you are interested i ...more
Jenni
Jan 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kick-ass-women, own
Really interesting story but surprisingly badly written for a journalist (maybe an editing issue?) One chapter is written by the mother and that one is a lot stronger. Didn't prevent me being captivated by the story though! Fascinating read.
Margot
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: listened-to
While I found this book really interesting and moving, it was repetitive in some parts. It’s disturbing that someone is so evil, but shielded by some family members. Also disturbing is the absence of thorough investigation from the start.

Spoilers? It is non fiction.
Jo
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was well written but unsettling and upsetting which is to be expected given the subject matter.
Debbie Roff
Jan 04, 2019 rated it liked it
The story obviously comes from a place of grief and passion and is a really heartbreaking series of events. It was a little repetitive however that is understandable with such a complex case.
Kim Coleman
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredible true and heartfelt story.
Kate
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
From coverage on bbc website

Wasn’t sure whether 3 or 4 star. Could have done with editing.
lynne mcenery
  • Echoes in the Darkness
  • The Family: The Shocking True Story of a Notorious Cult
  • Too Pretty To Live: The Catfishing Murders of East Tennessee
  • Evil Beside Her
  • The Kill Jar: Obsession, Descent, and a Hunt for Detroit's Most Notorious Serial Killer
  • Predator
  • Until the Twelfth of Never: The Deadly Divorce of Dan & Betty Broderick
  • Footsteps in the Snow
  • A Deal with the Devil: The Dark and Twisted True Story of One of the Biggest Cons in History
  • The Night the Defeos Died: Reinvestigating the Amityville Murders