Start by marking “Dead In The Water” as Want to Read:
Dead In The Water

Dead In The Water

In 1978, two tortured corpses were discovered in the sea off Guatemala. Hooded, bound with ropes and weighted down with heavy engine parts, Chris Farmer and his girlfriend Peta Frampton were still clinging to life when they were thrown from a yacht on which they had been crewing.

This is the gripping account of how Chris's family painstakingly gathered evidence against the
Published August 9th 2018 by John Blake Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Dead In The Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead In The Water

Start your review of Dead In The Water
Valerity (Val)
Dead in the Water: My Forty-Year Search for My Brother's Killer

This is the new edition which has been updated for the US release. I read the original UK edition in August 2018 and you can find my original review for the first book below-

I recommend this for real true crime readers as it is well written and researched since the author is an experienced journalist. Meet Penny and learn of her family's decades-long heartbreak and grief behind this
Valerity (Val)
Lou
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, they do say that the truth is stranger than fiction; this book tends to verify that as we journey with one family through a rollercoaster of emotions and their journey to find out the truth once and for all. Penny Farmer's brother Chris was left for dead alongside girlfriend Peta in 1978 off the coast of Guatemala. This book examines the impact of the tragedy on his family and the manhunt for a psychopathic killer who took a sick pleasure from torturing his victims before discarding them ...more
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, true-crime
When Chris Farmer and his girlfriend Peta Frampton went missing in the late 70's, their families were desperate to know where they were. Chris and Peta kept in them informed as to their activities and experiences through letters and cassette tapes but when they suddenly stopped, unease grew.

In 1978, 2 tortured corpses were discovered in the sea off Guatemala, hooded, bound with ropes and weighed down with engine parts, were these the bodies of the missing couple?

What follows is the, almost, 4
Oliver Clarke
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fascinating, gripping and often moving account of a brutal double murder and the impact of that crime on the families of both the victims and the perpetrator.
In 1978, Chris Farmer and his girlfriend Peta Frampton, were murdered whilst travelling in Central America. Although there was a clear suspect in the case, Silas Duane Boston, the American captain of a boat they were travelling on, the crime went unsolved for almost four decades. The book is written by Penny Farmer, sister of Chris, who
Jessica Berry
Apr 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: galleywars
This is a true crime book, told from the perspective of the sister of one of the victims. After being let down by the authorities, Penny Farmer spends decades hunting down the person (or persons) who murdered her brother and his girlfriend. With a plot like that, and with such a gorgeous book cover and title font, this book promised to please my true crime sweet spot.

I have to be honest in this review, as much as it pains me given the sensitive nature of this story. In a nutshell, the writing
richard
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How many more criminals are alive who should be locked up but are not due to police incompetence? Hard to put down and i was moved to tears on many occasions. There is undoubted risk in traveling the World but we should be able to trust the police to at lease follow leads and information. Sadly my recent experience of ask8ng the police for help is that,like water, they take the path of least resistance to make their lives easy.

How many more criminals are alive who should be locked up but are
Sharon Gregory
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A story to be told

Saw Penny's interview on This morning wanted to know the full details so downloaded the book read in one sitting. Heartbreaking and thoughtful that some people are fated to pack such a lot into their short lives they're passion for travel and experiences was consuming in a time where trust was openly given ......to the wrong person .This is a tale of Facebook being used for the good. Interesting read
Elizabeth
title: Dead In The Water
Author : Penny Farmer
Genre: Nonfiction- true crime
Netgalley ARC
pages 288
Book synopsis
In July 1978, two bodies were discovered in the sea off Guatemala. They were found to be the remains of Chris Farmer and his girlfriend Peta Frampton, two young British graduates. Having been beaten and tortured, then thrown, still alive, into the sea, their bodies had been weighted down and dumped from the yacht on which they had been crewing. For nearly forty years, no one was charged
Melissa
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
For of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these “it might have been”
This is a story of one family and their unwillingness to give up finding answers as to why and who killed their son and his girlfriend while they were traveling abroad.
What I cannot fathom about this chilling story is how many people knew and did nothing! And when sons of the killer went to the police on numerous occasions as witnesses to the crime no one listened.
Only when 37/38 years later when also trying to find
Susan Angela Wallace
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
dead in the water by Penny Farmer.
this was a great read it was very moving in places and I was close to tears in places too. very hard to put down. 5*.
Kathrene Snyder
I did not like this book and would not have finished it at all if I weren't reading it for book club. The only thing it has going for it in my opinion is it's a quick read. She spends the first 17 pages of the book talking about what a saint her brother was, what a saint her father was, what a saint her mother was the only member of her family she doesn't seem to try to canonize is herself. What happened to her family is a tragedy. She didn't have to convince me they didn't deserve it. After ...more
Irene Young
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An absorbing story

I had never before heard the story of Dr Chris Farmer and Peta Frampton but what a story it was.How cruel it was that these young people with such potential were murdered in this most awful manner.
A book I could not put down.Penny Farmer did a great job in bringing this case to a conclusion but what had luck the murderer died before justice was really done.Dr Chris Farmers mother is a remarkable women and I am so glad she lived a long life so she would know the true story of
Kelly Roberts
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in one weekend. As a True Crime book, it is not my usual genre but this book is really well put together; a memorial for two young, intelligent people murdered on a boat whilst travelling the world. I would recommend it.

The tasteful story-telling takes the reader through the trials and tribulations of the families during and after (38 years after) the horrendous fate of Chris and Peta.

It provides an understanding of the events leading up to the murders and an insight to the
Nancy Ahyee
Publisher’s description: “In 1978, two tortured corpses—hooded, bound, and weighted down with engine parts—were found in the sea off Guatemala. Junior doctor Chris Farmer and his girlfriend, Peta Frampton, were still clinging to life when they were thrown from the yacht they’d been crewing.

“Here is the gripping account of how Chris's family worked alongside police, the FBI, and Interpol to gather evidence against the boat’s Californian skipper, Silas Duane Boston. Almost four decades later, in
A W
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
In 1978, recently qualified doctor Chris Farmer and his fiancée Peta Frampton disappeared whist on a round the world trip. A few months later their horribly mutilated bodied were found floating in the sea off Guatemala. Penny Farmer tells the story of the thirty-eight-year hunt for Silas Duane Boston, the man who killed them along with maybe thirty other people over his criminal career.
The true crime shelves of the average bookshop are crowded with titles, most attached to books engaged in a
Videoclimber(AKA)MTsLilSis
This is the story of a sister and her love for her family. She must find out what happened to her missing brother. The whole family spends years searching for answers. They look for help wherever they can get it. Many years later the perpetrator is caught, but justice is never served.
I appreciate the fact that the author was aware of how hard it was for Boston's children to help her. I also found it revealing that Boston's extended family knew the things he had done, but hid them away.
I had a
Margot
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: listened-to
While I found this book really interesting and moving, it was repetitive in some parts. It’s disturbing that someone is so evil, but shielded by some family members. Also disturbing is the absence of thorough investigation from the start.

Spoilers? It is non fiction.
Christine -  LifeWithAllTheBooks
I’ve been meaning to read this one for ages so I’m glad to have finally gotten around to it. It’s a true crime book which covers the long search for justice after the brutal murder of a young couple travelling together. I always think there’s something different about true crime written by the victim’s family as is the case here (Dead In The Water is written by the male victim, Chris’, sister). When the story is told by the family it just feels so much more raw and forces the reader to face the ...more
Mccluskey1
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very good sad that it’s a true story
Pamela
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I chose to read this book because of a brief newspaper article I read about this true crime story. My expectations were fairly low, but I just wanted to know about the story. I wasn't looking for anything beyond that. But it was actually well written and enjoyable. It is a tragic story and very sad. But I'm happy that the families of the victims and the sons of Silas Duane Boston were able to uncover the truth and heal as best as possible. It is a really interesting read. If you are interested ...more
HollyLovesBooks
I was sucked into this story due to the nature of the genre, it being a true crime that remained unsolved by LE. And while I have a great deal of compassion for the family going through this horrific experience, I don’t think the book is as well written as it could have been. Maybe a few more edits would have been all it needed. Making it more professional and less jumbled of a storyline.

#DeadInTheWater #NetGalley
Debbie Roff
Jan 04, 2019 rated it liked it
The story obviously comes from a place of grief and passion and is a really heartbreaking series of events. It was a little repetitive however that is understandable with such a complex case.
MJ LaBeff
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An intricate true crime story with a startling final twist.

It’s hard to imagine the agony and anxiety, terror and fear, hopelessness and sadness the Farmer and Frampton families experienced over the last thirty nine years; however, author Penny Farmer left an imprint on my heart with her exquisite writing that conveyed her parents journey and then her quest to find the murderer of their much beloved son and brother, Dr. Christopher Farmer and his girlfriend, Peta Frampton. The author does an
Hana
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime
Dead In The Water is the story of a brutal double murder that was committed in 1978 but remained a mystery to the family for nearly four decades, written by one of the victims's sister.

The story itself is brutal and tragic, and serves as a reminder of the senseless tragedy that occurs every day and affects countless lives. The author meticulously pieces together the many pieces of the puzzle that were found over so many years to finally complete the story decades later and produce a compelling
Anupama C K(b0rn_2_read)
True crime is something which I started reading last year. I have always been intrigued by serial killer novels, but now when I read these true crime accounts I realise that I agree with the quote "Truth is stranger than fiction"
Last year I had read "I'll be gone in the dark by Michelle McNamara and when I came to know that the main suspect of this case was also suspected to be GSK I had to read this. Fortunately @diversionbooks approved my request on @netgalley and I got to read this

Back in
Pat Pullum
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This true narrative tells of two families anguish when their children disappear. What starts out as a wonderful adventure for Chris and his girlfriend Peta ends in mystery and heartbreak.
Chris had just got his degree from medical school and decided he wanted to see some of the world with Peta. They travelled from the UK and planned to go through Mexico and Central America. When mail communication suddenly stopped, Peta's family knew something was wrong as she wrote regularly keeping them updated
Bob
Dec 04, 2019 rated it liked it
My third Stuart Woods novel. This one was a bit of a let down. To far fetched in the beginning and middle of the story. However, the last several chapters tied things up well and I read along and formulated some answers myself. Stone is an interesting character, but even with his "appetites" the foolishness in this one were to much to overlook and thus brought the rating down as far as I am concerned. But, I'm going to read the next in the series and see if there isn't a good rebound.
M
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
As other reviews mention, this book could use some additional editing, particularly in the beginning. I found that it improved as the story really got into recounting how the cold case picked up again via social media and the full truth was finally revealed. It's a heartbreaking story of the victims, their families, and the children of the killer. The details of how he got away with it for it so long are infuriating.
Patti
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think the fact that this was a true story made it seem so very sad. The fact that the families did finally get closure was good but again sad. The fact that so much work and years went into this “finding closure” was amazing. This family is the pure example of not giving up no matter how many dead ends they experienced.
Around the Year i...: Dead In The Water, by Penny Farmer 1 11 Jan 26, 2019 04:45AM

• Where Monsters Hide: Sex, Murder, and Madness in the Midwest
  • Murder on Birchleaf Drive: The True Story of the Michelle Young Murder Case
  • "Please ... Don't Kill Me": The True Story of the Milo Murder
  • Alice & Gerald: A Homicidal Love Story
  • Manhunt: How I Brought Serial Killer Levi Bellfield to Justice
  • Reasonable Doubt: A Shocking Story of Lust and Murder in the American Heartland
  • My Brother Jason: The untold story of Jason Corbett’s life and brutal murder by Tom and Molly Martens
  • The Last Stone
  • Secrets of a Marine's Wife: A True Story of Marriage, Obsession, and Murder
  • A Checklist for Murder
  • The Unforgiven: The Untold Story of One Woman's Search for Love and Justice
  • Kill 'Em All: A True Story of Abuse, Revenge and the Making of a Monster (True Crime)
  • Bad Moon Rising: The Prom Night Murders Memoir
  • Sold in Secret: A mother’s desperate search to find the men who trafficked and killed her daughter
  • I Know My First Name Is Steven
  • Unnatural Causes
  • Dark Secret: The Complete Story: The True Account of What Happened to Little Alex Suleski
  • Silent Sisters