Start by marking “He is the Monster” as Want to Read:
He is the Monster

He is the Monster

When Esther comes back at dawn on a school night, she’s expecting an argument with her parents at breakfast. Instead, the police arrest her father for molesting girls in their neighborhood. As her father awaits trial and her mother wastes away with grief, Esther seeks comfort in the things that make her numb: parties, boys and her secret relationship.

She is fine.

Everythi
Published August 29th 2018 by Amy Ellis

To ask other readers questions about He is the Monster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about He is the Monster

Start your review of He is the Monster
Luna
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
TW: sexual abuse and assault

That was the most disturbing thing I have read since 'Living Dead Girl', Jake is a monster and just never stops being one, his parts made me so uncomfortable. This was so messed up, so odd, and so well written.
Tiffany
Aug 29, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this quick (the book is written in prose) read about a mother and daughter dealing with their emotions as they find out their husband/father has been molesting young girls. The story is well written and pulls you in quickly. But, since it is prose, there is less character depth and development than you would find in a typical book. However, The story was very interesting and you really care about and worry about Esther as she navigates her way through school, relationships, and home wh ...more
Michelle
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
It might be because this book is written in verse that it read so quickly but I flew right through it! It was definitely captivating and explores a very dark side of life. I'm rating this a 4 out of 5 because it didn't feel like any one character was developed completely. You get to see things through the eyes of the mom, father and daughter but to me it felt like bits and pieces without ever fully developing. All three characters are definitely tormented in their own ways and Amy Ellis begins t ...more
Merry Jelks-Emmanuel
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a dark story that really moved me in a lot of ways. It is told from the mother, father and daughter's point of view and have you thinking about what is going through their minds especially the mother and daughter. It is a story that makes you wonder how can one put their lives back together after finding out that your father/husband is a monster and everything you thought you believed about your love one is a lie. It is told in prose but none the less is deep and intense!

I received a fre
Corrina Hughes
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book for an honest review. This is the first time I have received a free ebook and I was somewhat apprehensive with regards to the quality of the book.

However, I read the book in a day and thoroughly enjoyed it. The book consists of three main characters, mother, father and daughter and describes how each is feeling, as the father is arrested. Instead of chapters each section is about how they are coping and feeling as their world is tore apart.

The subject matter i
Amy
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the most moving stories I have read lately. Having it told in what I call poem style is much more dramatic and impacting. Breaks your heart.

Tanya
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
She did not come home until six am from a night out expecting a row. She is in for a shock as her father is arrested for child abuse. Her mother wastes away. She goes wild and does everything she should not to dull the pain but one wants to help her. Will be be able to help her? See if he can

Miriam Rose
May 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Heartbreaking, chilling, well-written and emotional.
Anais919
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Esther is a normal teenager sneaking in from a late night party. She expects yelling and punishment but finds her father being arrested for child molestation. This amazing piece of poetry tells us a story of a mother falling apart, a father who is a monster and a daughter who is find many ways to cope with this horrible situation. Love this!
G
Sep 01, 2018 rated it liked it
This was my first read in poetry prose format and while it was unusual, the storyline and concept was serious enough for me to stay on until the end. I think it made it more poignant in the format it was in. A family destroyed by the actions of the father. Listening to the mother and the daughter as they grieve and adapt to the news. If the rest of the authors work is like this I would certainly give them a go.

I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and am voluntarily leaving a review
Evie
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read it all in one go and couldn't put it down! A truly enjoyable book.

It is a poignant snapshot of the breakdown of a family and its effect on each member. Written in smooth verse, each character's voice is distinctive. The subject matter is treated with sensitivity and real tenderness for the mother (Christie) and daughter (Esther).
Melissa Heimpel
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a short and powerful book. A lot of details, the writing style was a lot like Ellen Hopkins without as much rhyming. But I enjoyed it, there was a lot of depth in the main character the daughter.
Lullah
Oct 08, 2018
Lisa Fancypants
Nov 04, 2018
Amy Ellis
Aug 06, 2018 is currently reading it  ·  (Review from the author)
Katie Regan
Lacey
Mar 31, 2019
Jasmine Massey
Apr 27, 2019
Making Connections: 5369. - HE IS THE MONSTER by Amy Ellis 1 9 Aug 24, 2018 04:07PM

• Fence #4 (Fence, #4)