Start by marking “King of Fools (The Shadow Game, #2)” as Want to Read:
King of Fools (The Shadow Game, #2)

King of Fools

(The Shadow Game #2)

Indulge your vices in the City of Sin, where a sinister street war is brewing and fame is the deadliest killer of them all...

On the quest to find her missing mother, prim and proper Enne Salta became reluctant allies with Levi Glaisyer, the city’s most famous con man. Saving his life in the Shadow Game forced Enne to assume the identity of Seance, a mysterious underworld f
Published May 2nd 2019 by HQ Young Adult (first published April 30th 2019)

Win a Copy of This Book

• King of Fools by Amanda Foody
    King of Fools (The Shadow Game, #2)
    Release date: Apr 30, 2019
    Enter to win 1 of 20 Kindle Editions of King of Fools by Amanda Foody!

Format: Kindle book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 20 copies available, 924 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Apr 30 - May 30, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

☆High Lady of The Night Court☆
    “Because the hero of one story is the villain of someone else’s. It’s all just a matter of who wins.”

King of Fools was so much more than I more was expecting from this world. It was so much more complicated and the sheer amount of things that happened in this book is unbelievable. There was not a single moment that wasn't packed with plot and not a single moment which was slow.

The relationship between all the characters evolves so much and just as new relations and made old ones can be broken
    شيماء ✨

Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: arcs-read
    Amanda Foody...

Amanda Foody!
    I will never be the same again.

Respect.

Picking up directly after the final events of Ace of Shades, this book, the second in the Shadow Game Trilogy, is so full of action and political intrigue it left my head spinning!

We see the return of our favorite characters from the first book, Enne, Levi, Lola and Jac, and get to meet some great new characters as well.

Welcome, Tock, my sweet little bomber. ((Who I dreamily picture as Michelle Rodriguez. You're welcome.))

New de
    Beth
    Apr 27, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    27.04.18

I just finished Ace of Shades;

1. You can't end there like that.
    2. Please see above.
    3. I need more.
    4. 2019?!
    5. Amanda Foody, if you want to give me a copy ASAP, thankssss xoxoxoxxo

I CAN'T WAIT
    -----------
    14.07.18
    We have a cover and it’s blue and I looooooove it
    ————-
    ⚔ Silvia ⚓
    I was sent this book as an advanced copy by the publisher via NetGalley for reviewing purposes, but all opinions are my own.

King of Fools was one of my most anticipated sequels this year and I was not disappointed. Am I mad a this book and at Amanda Foody? Oh, hell yes. But I loved every second of it.

I believe that, in trilogies, second books should feel completely different from book one, and then book three should be an expansion of book two. We'll see what book three has in store for us, bu
    julianna ➹
    1. Ace of Shades ★★★★★
    2. King of Fools ★★★★★
    3. Untitled

This was so much cleverness and un-subtle feminism— and I love it so much. Amanda said that this was her girl gang book and she is not wrong, at all. Why is this called King of Fools when it should be called Badassery.jpg?

you: Second Book Syndrome

misogynists: h-
    kicking in the door

people who hate on strong girl characters:
    kicking in the door

If someone wanted to call her naive, then they would. If someone wanted to call her heartless, then t
    Lia  °booksnpenguins°
    May 17, 2019 marked it as to-read
    I need to reread Ace of Shades asap so I can start this one!
    Candace Robinson
    ARC received via publisher!
    Kal ★ Reader Voracious
    While this review is spoiler-free, if you haven't read Ace of Shades yet, I'd recommend not reading this review or book synopsis as both have spoilers for book 1.
    "Oaths, omertas, Chainers - there's a reason so many in the North Side favor such weapons. New Reynes killed the queen the very day she hoped to negotiate peace. The City of Sin was built on duplicity."
    Friends, this was one of my most highly anticipated sequels of 2019 and Foody did not disappoint! There is a lot going on in this se
    Darinda
    May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    The second book in The Shadow Game series by Amanda Foody. This book picks up where the first book, Ace of Shadows, ended.

Favorite characters are back (Enne, Levi, Jac) and new characters are introduced. The characters in this series are so intriguing. This novel is told using multiple points of view, which gives insight into several characters. I especially love the strong female characters.

The fun thing about this series is the politics in New Reynes. With so many people trying to be in power,
    prag ♻
    • the wildest part of this reading experience was Ju accidentally guessing the ending in the first chapter
    • SAPPHIC LOLA SANGUICK!! (i called it)
    • #girlgangbook lives UP
    • i love girls
    • feMINism yeAh
    • levi?? jac?? everything?? IT'S SO WELL WRITTEN
    • enne <33333
    Esmée
    May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: 2019-tbr, owned
    ''I think it takes more strength to be vulnerable than it does to appear invincible.''

Amanda Foody wrote another breathtaking book that just tore my heart out. It was beautiful, painful, emotional, entertaining and so much more. I very much enjoyed this book and it was in several ways better than book one. The ending was even more exciting than the one of Ace of Shades and it seems really promising for the finale.

The plot was tailored perfectly. The story picked up right after the ending of boo
    booksneedcaffeinetoo
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH IT IS RELEASE DAY.
    YOU ALL GET TO READ ABOUT THE GIRL GANG
    I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 13, 2019
    Wow. Somehow I got approved for the eARC. I guess this is where I add that disclaimer?
    Thank you Netgalley for the eARC in exchange for an honest review.
    Did I do that right?

"The hero of one story is the villain of someone else's. It's all just a matter of who wins."

This book picks up right where Ace of Shades left off. And right from the get go things are inten
    Kristi Housman Confessions of a YA Reader
    If you haven't read Ace of Shades, you probably don't want to read this review.  There are spoilers from book one.

I've had a lot going on in my personal life lately, and it has made it hard to focus on books.  But I still ended up loving this.

King of Fools starts off right where Ace of Shades ends.  Enne and Levi are wanted for murder and Vianca's son, Harrison, has come back home.  Harrison approaches Levi with a deal that ends with Vianca dead.  Harrison is running for office against Vianca's
    Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
    Me the first 30-40% of the book:
    giphyc295831fe54b8c3c.gif

Me the remainder of the book:
    tenor6641d5208deab763.gif

I think it's about time I realized this series just might not be for me. Because when I think dark, when I think gangsters, I do not think this book AT ALL. It's like my main issue with the first book became even more apparent to me here. That these aren't gangsters. These are kids in way over their head.

The writing itself is not bad, but I just could not bring myself to care much about anything that was happening.

The only thing t
    Nia •ShadesOfPaper•
    You can find this review and others on my blog shades of paper

“For Levi, when the cards no longer ran in his favor, he cheated – simple as that. Luck was a mechanism to be devised, and luck and destiny were merely two sides of the same coin.”

After completely falling in love last year with Ace of Shades, I was so anticipating its sequel, and it was one of my most anticipated releases of this year. I had such high expectations, and though I didn’t love it as much as the first installment, I st
    Sailor //
    Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Wow okay. If anyone has any hardcore drugs that they'd like to send me, it'd be greatly appreciated. Because I cannot cope after reading this very PAINFUL masterpiece. Amanda I love you, but you wound me
    Scrill
    May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: fantasy, ya, romance

Reviews like this can also be found on my blog, Vicariously & Voraciously

With the shadow game over, Enne & Levi are both wanted for murder. Now they must not only survive not getting caught, but they need to build (or rebuild) successful gangs on the north side of New Reynes. Gambling with everything they have may bring on their downfall, but may also gain them freedom from the one who basically owns them.

The Story-
    I was so happy to be in this world! I love how the story has become so mu
    Lauren Elise
    Pre-Reading Updates

3/5/2018: *in W2S’s voice* IT’S BLUE!!! IT’S BLUUUEEE!!!!!
    Jayne M.
    May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Wow this book is jammed pack. A lot of info, a lot of new and old characters, and many different games.

Caryn {iam.caryn}
    *needs paper bag to breathe into*
    Man alive that was stressful.

With ACE OF SHADES being in my top 10 favourite reads in 2018, I was pumped for KING OF FOOLS.

Did I enjoy FOOLS as much as SHADES? ...it’s pretty darned close. I think I liked SHADES just a touch more because it was more (for lack of a better term) fun. FOOLS is basically stress from page one onwards. I was just white knuckles and wide-eyes throughout around 600 pages. Whew it really was intense.

Whereas book one focused a lot on world
    Sage Elizabeth
    .5) Vianca Augustine ★★★★
    1.) Ace of Shades ★★★★★
    um, amanda . . . can you just slip the finale over to me? cause I need it. like RIGHT NOW.
    Erin
    Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    My Rating: 4.5 Stars

Gaaahhhh I have been DYING to get my hands on this book. After the epic ending of Ace of Shades I needed book two, and I have been waiting a YEAR to get it. Thankfully, this book was well worth the wait. I really enjoyed Ace of Shades, but King of Fools was a whole new level of awesome.

I think that the most unique thing about Amanda Foody's books is her writing style. Even in scenes that are mostly political and not action packed, her writing holds you completely captive. I d
    Alexandra
    Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 2019
    I received an e-ARC in exchange for an honest review. Review and blog tour can be found on *Milky Way of Books*

The sequel of the Shadow Game was one hell of an amazing plot with kick-ass moments unforgettable quotes and ENNE! Strong, beautiful Enne who got her own girl-group of friends! But also the big difference between this book and Ace of Shades is that all characters grow and evolve and the surprises keep coming. I'll not spoil but you have yo read this beauty!
    King of Fools picks up Levi and Enne's story not long after the end of the first book. After the Game of Shadows there is a huge price on both their heads and they've both lost pretty much everything. Levi wants his gang back but after being challenged by his third and losing all their money he's not sure how to win back their trust or sort out their finances. Enne on the other hand doesn't want the reputation she's earned and would much prefer to stay out of the limelight but Vianca has plans f ...more
    Karen
    Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: arc, fantasy, lgbt, romance, ya
    An ARC was provided to me for free by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

As the sequel to Foody's Ace of Shades, this book certainly did not suffer from middle-book syndrome. Although characters were still reeling from the consequences of their actions in the last book (Enne and Levi especially), this book builds on new character dynamics and stakes. New potential antagonists and partners are introduced very quickly, drawing Levi and Enne into a new game.

This book's ca
    Steff
    I think this is the end of my run with The Shadow Game series from Amanda Foody. I'll admit that I don't think the story is terrible; in truth, one of the big reasons I bothered to request King of Fools from NetGalley is because I liked Ace of Shades more than I liked Six of Crows, the novel with which it is regularly compared with for reasons I personally find inadequate, but there you go. I think the big moment in which I realized that I had never fully invested myself with this series and the ...more
    Sydni
    Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: arc
    EDIT 5/1/19
    It’s out! Go read it!

This review is going to contain some mild-spoliery stuff so I’d recommended checking out the first book if you haven’t already! :,)

My thoughts starting this book:
    where the FREAK is my kiss....i mean....their kiss....
    The angst that kicked me over and left me flat on the ground at the end of the first book came right back to give me over again in this book. It continued straight on in the beginning of this sequel.

SO! This book started off where the last one ended a
    Anniek
    May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    While I really enjoyed Ace of Shades, my main issue with it was that I felt it lacked character depth. Lucky for me, King of Fools turned out to be a beast of a novel at 600 pages, and there was a lot of depth and development!! I had such a great time reading this!

Aside from getting to know the main characters better, the plot is also even more high stakes, but somehow it's more believable at the same time. Levi leading a gang took a lot for my suspension of disbelief in book 1, but it starts to
    Alice
    May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: cover-love, read-2019

• Defy the Fates (Constellation, #3)
    • The Lady Rogue
    • An Anatomy of Beasts (Faloiv, #2)
    • Through the White Wood
    • These Divided Shores (Stream Raiders, #2)
    • Incendiary
    • Soul of Stars (Heart of Iron, #2)
    • The Girl the Sea Gave Back
    • Court of Lions (Mirage, #2)
    • Thornlight
    • Immunity (Contagion, #2)
    • Soul of the Sword (Shadow of the Fox, #2)
    • The Silvered Serpents (The Gilded Wolves, #2)
    • Honor Bound (The Honors, #2)
    • Into the Crooked Place (Into the Crooked Place, #1)
    • Untitled (Threads of Power, #1)
    • Nameless Queen
    • The Tiger at Midnight (The Tiger at Midnight Trilogy, #1)
    Amanda Foody has always considered imagination to be our best attempt at magic. After spending her childhood longing to attend Hogwarts, she now loves to write about immersive settings and characters grappling with insurmountable destinies. Currently, she works as a tax accountant in Philadelphia, PA, surrounded by her many siblings and many books.

She is the author of two published novels, DAUGHTE

The Shadow Game (3 books)
    • Ace of Shades (The Shadow Game, #1)
    • Untitled (The Shadow Game #3)
    “Remember—don’t do anything sinful here. This is a holy place after all,” Narinder warned him. “Even the lords of the North Side can behave themselves in a church.” “Can you?” Levi asked, turning around, his eyebrow raised. Narinder answered with his gaze fixed on Levi’s lips. “I haven’t decided if I want to.” 1 likes
    “Greed always answered to fear.” 0 likes