Start by marking “The Mad Monk Manifesto: A Prescription for Evolution, Revolution, and Global Awakening” as Want to Read:

Published November 15th 2018 by Mango

To ask other readers questions about The Mad Monk Manifesto, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mad Monk Manifesto

Start your review of The Mad Monk Manifesto: A Prescription for Evolution, Revolution, and Global Awakening
Teo 2050
2019.09.16–2019.09.21

True to its title, this book is a manifesto of prescription. The ebook contains 152 instances of “Let’s” [do X, Y, and Z], listing actions that supposedly anyone would find to be, all things being equal, wise directions that we all better just do more of.

(It also urges readers to imagine if only everyone already acted always wisely, e.g., “Imagine how little need there would be for laws and regulations if we just treated others as we would have them treat us.”)

This approach
Tom Peek
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This radically visionary book breaks new ground on our personal and societal problems by drawing on ancient Daoist wisdom—just what we need in a world gone mad from obsolete Western thinking, technological intrusions, addictive consumerism and widespread political decay. Daoist monk Yun Rou offers a fresh take on our personal and cultural dysfunctions with honest, provocative insights that hold potential for a countercultural political movement that’s long overdue.

Beautifully written by a seaso
Greg Soden
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An urgent call to act to make our world a better place!
Alireza
Aug 15, 2020 rated it it was ok
It’s a book of prescriptions, inspired by Daoist thought, but still, a book of prescriptions. And I find that a bit paradoxical, using Daoist principles to write prescriptions for anything and everything
Daphne Russell
Oct 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this thoughtful and thought provoking west meets east discussion about our responsibilities as human beings.
Prithipal Singh
Oct 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
The clarity and writing style was great. Some takeways for me.
Dilash Weerasooriya
Jul 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A practical guide to understand the sustainable fundamentals in which the world should run, in the eyes of Yun Rou
Marci
Sep 14, 2020 rated it did not like it
So, the author is actually a white dude from New York, using a fake Chinese name. Just start there. it does not get better from there.
Mareike
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've first listened to this audiobook on spotify, and while I got the gist of Yun Rou's ideas, I feel like I may have missed a few spots because I was not fully paying attention to the spoken words. I'm reading it again now. However, what I've heard is 100% resonating with my ethic beliefs, although I may not (yet) follow through with all of them.

Let me quickly give an overview of the contents of this book:
Yun Rou is describing the daoist (centering on yourself, yin/yang, mediation, clarity) ide
Jon Deitcher

• Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah
  • Memories, Dreams, Reflections
  • Global Perspectives and Psychedelic Poetics
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • Mindful Compassion: How the Science of Compassion Can Help You Understand Your Emotions, Live in the Present, and Connect Deeply with Others
  • Ending the Pursuit of Happiness: A Zen Guide
  • The Daily Stoic: 366 Meditations for Clarity, Effectiveness, and Serenity
  • Spillover: Animal Infections and the Next Human Pandemic
  • Influenza: The Hundred-Year Hunt to Cure the Deadliest Disease in History
  • The Truth of Our Existence: Four Teachings from the Buddha to Illuminate Your Life
  • Mathematical Decision Making: Predictive Models and Optimization (Great Courses)
  • Understanding Japan: A Cultural History