Start by marking “Lies My Teacher Told Me for Young Readers: Everything American History Textbooks Get Wrong” as Want to Read:

Now adapted for young readers in grades 7 and up, the national bestseller that makes real American history come alive in all of its conflict, drama, and complexity

Lies My Teacher Told Me is one of the most important—and successful—history books of our time. Having sold nearly two million copies, the book won an American Book Award and the Oliver Cromwell Cox Award for Dist

Kindle Edition
Published April 2nd 2019 by The New Press

Ivonne Rovira
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the original Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong when it came out years and years ago — one of the best books I’ve ever read. I bought at least two (but probably more) as gifts. Needless to say, I was gratified to see that book adapted for middle- and high-schoolers to read and enjoy.

Christopher Columbus has been exposed for his cruelty to the Native Peoples he encountered. (The Spanish wiped out every Indian in my parents’ native Cuba by the middl
Katie
Finally! Lies My Teacher Told Me has now been adapted for middle school to high school age students. This would make a great supplement for students to learn to critically read their history and other textbooks. I have read the original and this is a good abridgement. Some adults may prefer to read this version as well.
Thanks to NetGalley, The New Press, and the author James W. Loewen for an advanced digital review copy. This book will be published April 23, 2019.
Never Without a Book™
Wow! When you think you know everything but end up knowing nothing. Lies My Teacher Told Me: Young Readers’ Edition shook me. As an adult it's clear that growing up I was lied too. I know this is the young readers edition, but my goodness, so many adults can benefit from this book. I am definitely passing this on to my daughter as her summer reading.
Erin
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In "Lies My Teacher Told Me: Young Readers’ Edition", Author James W. Loewen slightly revises his best-selling book for a version dedicated to teen readers. He tackles the subject of school history textbook and the facts they get wrong - or just skip over all together. As someone who loves history, but always hated the textbook versions (so boring!), this was a real eye-opener.
How can we ever hope to avoid repeating the mistakes of the past if we don't learn from them. While sometimes depressin
Shabbeer Hassan
Why is it that history books don't inculcate the habit of idea generation, questioning past motives more often than rote learning of watered-down facts?

As I finished this rather excellent book, this is the only question which echoed in my mind. Why do we need books like this one to tell us what shoddy history we have been learning since childhood? Why do teachers in schools think that we should just gulp down inaccurate historical incidents without ever questioning its provenance, motivations et
Stephanie
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: politics, history
These days, I find myself wavering between obsessively watching/listening to the news (I HAVE to know! What’s going on?) and wallowing in despair, avoiding news. Either way, I truly fear the direction we are headed in, in large part due to the lack of critical thinking and understanding of current events I see everywhere.

Back in 1995, James Loewen’s Lies My Teacher Told Me was published. It started as a survey of the dozen leading history textbooks, and over the years has been revised and update
Lauren Reed
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
With a catchy, but misleading title, LIES MY TEACHER TOLD ME, certainly grabs your attention. Having read through the original by James W. Loewen, I was prepared for what to expect from this YA version, adapted by Rebecca Stefoff, (appropriate for age 12+). Instead of attacking teachers, as the title may suggest, Loewen points out the grave misinformation or complete omission of significant events and entire communities of people in our students’ text books, and sees these as powerful, missed te ...more
Stephanie
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

January Gray
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Informative. Fun to read. I enjoyed it. So many things in school are incorrect or taught wrong. I'm glad I read it.
Bakertyl
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the original ( I guess the Old Reader's Edition??) years ago, and as a Social Studies major I loved it.  I read this version, and still love it.

Having a way to effectively communicate history to children will help those children understand the world they'll inherit sooner than they wish to.

One of the things I loved about the first book was how approachable the content was.  Anyone who could read would understand the points of history that led us to now.  I didn't consider how to address t
Michelle
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, netgalley-books
My 11 year old read this book as part of his history homeschool curriculum. He was fascinated by it and often read parts out loud to me because he wanted to make sure I learned everything he was learning. He loved it so much he is recommending it to his best friend so he can question his teachers at school more than he already does. He especially loved the title and hopes history books include more of the facts he learned.
Cheryl Louise
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm so excited that this book exists. I've been a fan of the original, and am glad to see one specifically for the middle and high school set. An excellent choice for homeschooling.
Stephanie Borders
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
I've always been interested in the original version of Lies My Teacher Told Me, but I hadn't gotten a chance to read it yet. When I saw this title available on Netgalley, I couldn't request it fast enough. I started it as soon as I was able, putting all my other ebooks aside.

Unfortunately, this book was not a good fit for me. I cant say whether I would have disliked the original book as much--was this the fault of the adapter? I can't be sure. What I will say is I would have rather read a histo
Kevin
Before I read this book, I was oblivious to the extent school textbooks had been lying to me. I was homeschooled, and received my curriculum from a prestigious academy, so I got a better education than most people. But this prestigious academy was still feeding me some false information.

And it’s not just about what the textbooks say; it’s also what they omit. Helen Keller’s activist adult life, for instance, and we instead focus on her triumphs in childhood. The book talks about how a statue of
Jessica
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC! I was excited to access and read this book because I had the adult, first version on my wish list for a while. As I teach teens, I was ready to dive into this YA version because I wanted to see if it would be something I could recommend to my students. I did enjoy it, and it was very eye-opening for me. There were stories that were mentioned in here where I thought-Yup. I remember learning that and having my textbook lead me to believe that, and it was wrong!
I ha
Christine Airey
I was provided with a complimentary copy of this book so I could give an honest review.

Everyone has most likely heard the quote, "History is written by the victors." Although the quote is often attributed to Winston Churchill, it is not known who originally said it. However, the author does not matter, only the truth of the quote.

Lies My Teacher Told Me: Young Readers’ Edition Everything American History Textbooks Get Wrong by James W. Loewen is part of his campaign to correct mistakes that have
Karlie
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I received a free ARC of this from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed this book.  I had always wanted to read the original but it always seemed too daunting a task, considering my lifelong dislike of history.

To be fair, I realized through this book that I retained more of the US history I learned in public school than I would have thought.  Unfortunately, this book taught me that most of what I had retained was wrong, or at least majorly lacking in context.

I'
Ashley
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a teacher, so I do feel I have to start by pointing out that the title is a bit misleading. The author evens admits this in the introduction. Textbooks don't give all of the information. As a result, most teachers can't give students all of the information. This book, and its predecessor, changes that game.

The information revealed in this book adds so much depth to history. I have found myself including little tidbits in my own lessons, and I'm an English teacher! I think high school stude
Diane Ferbrache
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Loewen has updated and slightly simplified his original work for young readers. Much of the same content is here as in his original book, but he has added content about the fall of the Soviet Union and 9/11. The text is easy to read and understand, but has a definite slant that some might find offensive.

In Loewen's effort to analyze history textbooks for errors and/or bias, he has clarified many misconceptions, but he sometimes takes an accusatory tone. He claims that by sanitizing history for
Justin
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
Interesting book that reveals a lot about the false history we are taught of the USA's history. Some of it I knew, such as Columbus and Thanksgiving's falsehoods, but more recent events, like Woodrow Wilson's true nature and some details around 9/11, I didn't know about at all. It's a quick read and worth the time, if for nothing more than to understand another perspective of history.

However, I do not agree that this book is adapted for young readers (apparently it's for 7th graders and up). It
Morgan Wagner
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
THIS should be required reading for all students. There are so many things to take away from this book.
History is taught all wrong. Agreeing with the author; students are bored with it, that we learn enough to pass a test but dont really do any critical thinking.
Textbooks present everything as fact when in reality theres alot to question, to research, and wonder about. We as students are not usually encouraged to do those things in history class. Can you recall a time that didnt revolve around
Nicki
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2019
Once you get past the title, the book is actually pretty level-headed. History is presented differently by each person or group, depending on their background and their agenda. Mr. Loewen tries to bring these slants to light and make students think about what they are being taught and what bias the teacher or author may have, rather than just learning facts long enough to regurgitate them for a test. I agree with his premise and (most of) the steps he proposes to correct our future History learn ...more
teleri llinos
Although I’m not American and I don’t have an interest in American History, I requested this book from NetGalley and really enjoyed it. Don’t get me wrong, there were some bits that put me to sleep - literally I had a problem with falling asleep whilst reading this book, but it’s a textbook so it’s not going to be an edge of my seat kind of read.

It honestly opened up my eyes about American History and just having a quick run down from Christopher Columbus to Donald Trump being in the White House
Susan
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a slimmed-down version of the author’s famous book for adults. Even though it’s meant for younger readers, it hasn’t lost any important information in the abridgment. Younger readers are made aware of the weaknesses in American history books used in their history courses, but the author does not go into as much detail in the text itself. The author also uses examples that are as clear and interesting as ever. This book can help change a student’s paradigm. It would work perfectly in high ...more
Ransom
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Disappointing. I won this as a Goodreads Giveaway. Unfortunately, although the author does point out a handful of incorrect things in textbooks, the vast majority of the book is spent complaining how textbooks' emphases and approach doesn't match the author's vision of what textbooks should be. Although I agree with the author in several regards, the book could have benefited from a more clear thesis (for example - make the title match what's actually in the book) and a less caustic approach.
Michele
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would like to thank The New press for my e-copy.

This is really a great book that enlightens and broadens ones perspective on history and how education oriented materials tend to glance at certain subjects; whether they do it because of "time constraints" or if they are omitting for other reasons is yet to be seen. Labeled as the "young reader's edition", it will serve for all.
Deborah
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly intriguing and interesting book about the lies told In History lessons in the US.
Although I have never been to the States I learnt much from this book. I gained a better understanding of American history and also the bad methods of history education in schools.
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for giving me this book,. This is my voluntary review.
Laura Gorman
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a really fascinating read. This is perfect for anyone who wants to know the real history of America that you're not taught in school. This book effortless pulls apart the lies told by history teachers across the US. Thoroughly enjoyed this book.
Heather Sobek
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve never read the original but some of the ideas presented as “lies” seem to have already been corrected in the teaching omg American history. Others, fascinatingly, I had never heard of before. Overall, very compelling.
Fabienne
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I pre-read this for my son. I can't wait until he reads it! I'm excited for the conversations we will be able to have.

I definitely feel like I learned so much from this book! So much that I didn't learn in school!