Start by marking “Into the Sunrise: Cycling the World, Part Two: Sydney to Mori” as Want to Read:
Into the Sunrise: Cycling the World, Part Two: Sydney to Mori

Into the Sunrise: Cycling the World, Part Two: Sydney to Mori

“Unless you do it all by bike and boat, you haven’t really cycled around the world.”

In Part Two of Chris Pountney’s attempt to cycle around the world, a disaster in the Pacific Ocean soon forces a drastic change of plans. Can he find a way to recover from the setback and complete his mission to return to the little Chinese town of Mori, and in so doing complete a full ci
Published August 3rd 2018

To ask other readers questions about Into the Sunrise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Into the Sunrise

Start your review of Into the Sunrise: Cycling the World, Part Two: Sydney to Mori
Jeffrey B Frey
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A journey completed.

I've read many cycling journals of cyclists making their dreams into reality. I had my own dream, albeit a little less dramatic, of riding across America an my recumbent trike. I read Chris's first book prior to my attempt and then I read this, his second book, after completing my own journey on June 4, 2018. I could feel the emotions he wrote about, as memories of my own journey came flooding back after only a few months since my finish. I enjoyed both books immensely.
Judith Mustoe
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Perseverance and integrity

I thoroughly enjoyed this book (and also the first). Chris and Dea's ability to put discomfort to one side amazed me, especially through the last icy weeks cycling in China. I found it hard to put down; always wondering what the next stage would bring. Chris's determination to use only boats and his, generally decrepit, bike was commendable.
Nancy Chambers
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great second part to the story

Having read part 1 of the story, I was keen to continue my armchair journey. Following Chris and Dea as they finished the circumnavigation of the world. It didn't disappoint. Another good cycle travel book. Looking forward to a future part 3 documenting their onward journey.
Marty Nicholas
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Second book chronicles Pountney's quirky attempt to cycle around the world by boat and bike ONLY! Well, that doesn't come close to telling the complete story. Endearing, funny, absorbing...a thorough joy to read.
alan baird
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Entertaining

Written with a lightness of touch and good humour. It demonstrates what you can achieve with single mindedness and determination.
Alan.
Joyce A. Wendeln
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Onward

Maybe I 'm just getting used to his style, but I like this book better than the first one. I am also getting a feeling for the characters.
Tracie Chapple
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it just as much as the first book. Thoroughly entertaining and also was shocked that you’d met someone from Guernsey (I’m from there!) - made my day (doesn’t take much 🤣)
j savell-stewart and Hannah Savell-Stewart
Brilliant read

Excellent travelogue
Very tense at the end and a great insite into China
Really inspiring for everyone on a journey in life
Jill Kwiatkowski
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable read

Thoroughly enjoyed both of Chris's books. Funny,.
Great insight into people and places. Loved his descriptive writing style.
Looking forward to book 3!
Maria
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
INSPIRATION INCORPORATED!

This amazing couple have given encouragement to so many fence-sitting individuals that they deserve medals. Chris's geekily fussy way of circumnavigating the earth using only bike and boat is softened by Dea's sensible, calm persona making a fascinating rendition of a wonderful achievement. People they meet and the conditions those people endure provide the best way for readers to learn how this beautiful planet rolls on at this moment, not some outdated account of year
Ben Twoonezero
Sep 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Travelalong2
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I finished the first book and immediately started the second. I really enjoyed both books but art times the authors gushing over "the one" became a bit much. Also I want to hear and see the countries and at times I thought there were too many games in too much detail and not enough countryside.
But having said that the last part of the book read like a thriller. It was a page turner like few other books. After I finished I actually had to go back and reread the last section because I was sure ~I
Keith
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing story and trip

Chris and Dea you are an inspiration to us all you're drive and you shear will is something that truly amazed me they these two books can't wait for the third!!!
Mel Van
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A must for any touring biker

A fine read. Had me totally engrossed and flipping pages. Felt I really got to know him. Looking forward to his book number three.
J MARTIN GLAUBITZ
Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Chris and Dea
What a remarkable pair of books and a most remarkable journey. Having done some long-distance cycling myself in my younger years, I can appreciate your trip although somehow being able to surmount all the problems you faced is a truly incredible. I congratulate you both, on the trip as well as the two books. I truly look forward to reading about your next journey.
Douglas L Patterson
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Funny, endearing and a celebration of humanity.

A great cycling travel book. Along with the first book I highly recommend. I've read dozens of cycling travel books and enjoyed these the most!
Kyle
May 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is bike touring as I remember it. There's a lot of flat tires. And broken bike parts. And wrong turns. And it's absolutely magical, especially when you're doing it with the right person. This is a funny, very human story of travel which succeeds in capturing the wonder and misery of living on two wheels on the road.
Sharon Hough
Jul 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
David Rathband
Apr 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A tale of vision, guts and determination

This is an inspirational book about a quest to travel around the world by boat and by bicycle. It is laced with indomitable human spirit, kindness, endeavour and utter determination and maybe even a bit of craziness too. Above all it is an easy read, which will continually fire your imagination. Buy it, you won't regret it.
carol holbrook
David Orchard
Feb 06, 2019
Suzun Holbrook
Nov 13, 2018

• 50 Shades Of The USA: One woman's 11,000 mile cycling adventure through every state of America
  • Biking Broken Europe: 6,000 Miles through an Unstable Continent
  • Don't Come Back: a travel adventure of bad-tempered baboons, black magic, and breakups.
  • Cycling Spirits: Global tales from the saddle : Part One
  • No Place Like Home, Thank God: A 22,000 Mile Bicycle Ride Around Europe
  • Tuk-Tuk for Two: Two strangers, one unforgettable tuk-tuk race romantic comedy through India (Weird Travel Book 3)
  • Travels with Rachel: In Search of South America
  • The Last Englishman
  • High and Low: How I Hiked Away From Depression Across Scotland (Outdoor Adventure Book 6)
  • my little bike ride
  • Don’t Go There: From Chernobyl to North Korea—one man’s quest to lose himself and find everyone else in the world’s strangest places
  • Mainly by Bike: A Senior Cyclist Tours the World
  • Bucket To Greece, Volume One
  • The Reluctant Expat: Part Three - Getting Ahead
  • How Not to Get Married: Confessions of a Wedding Photographer
  • The Pants of Perspective: One Woman's 3,000 Kilometre Running Adventure through the Wilds of New Zealand
  • JUST FOLLOW THE MAP - How hard can it be?: A cycling misadventure across Britain (Eventually)
  • Hungry for Miles: Cycling across Europe on One Pound a Day