Start by marking “How it Was for Me” as Want to Read:
How it Was for Me

How it Was for Me

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  123 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
In the title story of this collection, neighborhood boys crouch in a backyard toolshed, and conspire to prove their piano teachers to be witches. In "Cannibal Kings," a disillusioned young man accompanies a troubled boy on a tour of prep schools through the Pacific Northwest, only to realize that he has lost his way in life. And in "Come Live With Me And Be My Love," a mid
Published April 7th 2001 by Picador (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about How it Was for Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How it Was for Me

Krzysztof
Oct 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
I don't know; there are a couple of knock-you-on-your-ass stories here and I'm not sure it's fair to dock it a star for the few that aren't.

Greer can fit an entire novel's worth of emotion into a single line. I don't know if I know of another author who can do that.
Richard
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My first experience with Andrew Sean Greer's writing was The Story of A Marriage, which I really enjoyed. Within the past two years I've set out to catch up on my reading of modern short stories, and I was excited to find this collection authored by Greer.

I found these stories beautifully and powerfully written--so much so that I've read this collection twice in the past year.

I look forward to reading more short stories by Andrew Sean Greer.
Tal179
Jan 03, 2017 rated it liked it
(3.5) I didn’t enjoy plot as much as I did in the novels because it’s packed and you really have to focus to get all of the depth, but I loved the writing as always - so vivid, original, and powerful. I also looked out for themes and once I noticed some of them I appreciated the stories that much more. Greer creates very real characters and writes in a descriptive and visual way.
Lawrence
Sep 12, 2007 rated it liked it
The language in these stories is often beautiful and poetic, but the stories seem to be overwhelmed by the words. The stories get lost, running out of control, and only incidentally make their way to a conclusion. But the endings never seem to convey any real meaning, only a glimpse or vague impression of an experience, event, etc. And that every story insists on forcing a peek at the future of a character with a "in some many years she will be X but that is not now" structure is incredibly irri ...more
Kate
Sep 22, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed-by-kate
My favorite story in this collection is "Blame It on My Youth." The story of a gay man and a straight women, both romantically unlucky, who fall into a romance of sorts, this story looks at love and gender from new angles, always with sharply detailed characterization and a command of imagery. This story is one of my favorite pieces of writing by this author. Achingly empathic and moving.
Taylor
Oct 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I must have been on crack when I gave up on this book before, because IT IS WONDERFUL. I can't even really talk about it, other than to say that "Come Live with Me and Be My Love" is one of the most beautiful and heartbreaking stories I have ever read.
Jun 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: all my writing friends
Another terrific book of short stories, this time with an up to date feel, even those set in the recent past. Many examine the gay experience, but not all, and some are simply touching and beautiful. Greer is a first rate writer who, until now, I apparently missed. Don't miss him, folks.

pp
Beth Shields-Szostak
Jun 22, 2010 marked it as to-read
Shelves: signed
1st edition, signed by author
Romy
Jan 08, 2012 marked it as abandoned
Shelves: 2000s, novel
These stories have absolutely no plot at all, and as character studies they're just boring.
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very interesting to read these.
Andrew
Jul 22, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Life Is Over There" was a quiet favorite.
TKOG
  • The Varieties of Romantic Experience
  • Alien Sex: 19 Tales by the Masters of Science Fiction and Dark Fantasy
  • Fighting the Forces: What's at Stake in Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • Girls with Slingshots, Vol. 1
Andrew Sean Greer (born 1970) is an American novelist and short story writer.

He is the bestselling author of The Story of a Marriage, which The New York Times has called an “inspired, lyrical novel,” and The Confessions of Max Tivoli, which was named one of the best books of 2004 by the San Francisco Chronicle and received a California Book Award.

The child of two scientists, Greer studied writing
More about Andrew Sean Greer...
“Margaret herself hadn't known her body was a parish bell tolling at every heartbreak she heard of, and that night with Pete calmly sitting on the edge of her favorite chair, invading her private room with words this room was sealed from, she felt it just as a bell would. It struck her right inside, until her bronze skin rang out the news. Not of Pete's story, which had not even made him cry, but some other story she'd been trying not to tell herself. So she sat stiffly there and wept, clanging and clanging like a thing that tested its own breaking.” 2 likes