Start by marking “Irregular Heartbeat” as Want to Read:
Irregular Heartbeat

Irregular Heartbeat

After nearly a decade as a professional drummer, Diana Petrell leaves her rock-star life behind to continue her residency in emergency medicine. She’s determined not to let anything stop her—not even falling in love with her aloof mentor, Dr. Emily Barnes.
Emily has only ever focused on her career as a senior attending in the emergency department, and she isn’t happy about
Published October 15th 2018 by Ylva Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Irregular Heartbeat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Irregular Heartbeat

Lex Kent
4.25 Stars. I really enjoyed this one! This is my kind of book; a slow burn medical romance with an ice queen character. This storyline absolutely worked for me and I could not put the book down. This looks to be a full-length book debut for Zett, so it makes the book even more impressive for me.

Diana is starting new as an emergency room resident in Settle. She is older than most of the other residents because she took almost a decade off away from medicine. Emily is assigned as her mentor. Emil
Diane Wallace
Oct 07, 2018 rated it liked it
'ARC Generously provided by Ylva-Publishing in exchange for a honest review'

**'Try not to put yourself as a writer into the story unless your perspective can really add something.Let the subject of your story be the star..Writing is a form of therapy..'

Good read!
'IRREGULAR HEARTBEAT' is the kind of narrative medical writing which also included a partial love story that may entice some first time readers to Ms.Zett debut book that also involves lots of hospital activities,it has a wide range of e
Joc
After a nine year hiatus, Diana is returning to her medical residency. At 37, she is older than her peers but she is more interested in the work than making friends. Her first day with her mentor, Dr Emily Barnes, isn’t as smooth as she’d hoped but then Emily is not known for her friendliness. Diana is very cagey about the gap in her CV and Emily is concerned about what she’s hiding. Emily wears a mask of professionalism and severity. Her priority is the emergency department and her patients.

As
Alexis
I've been taking a break from reading medical romances for a while now. I'm a little over Radclyffe and her collar-length haired heroins and Camryn Eyde seems to have forgotten about Darcy & Olivia. Then along comes Chris Zett with this book that peaked my curiosity.

Diana Petrell returns to the world of medicine at Seattle General Hospital and finds herself under the watchful eyes of her supervisor Dr Emily Barnes. Emily, while closed off and sometimes brusque, is clearly good at her job and
Rosi
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This has been a very sweet and romantic reading, of those that you want to know how it is going to be solved but at the same time you do not want it to end so soon. It has the right amount of drama but the two protagonists are so mature in making their decisions that the drama does not become neither excessive nor annoying.

Emily is the ER supervisor at the hospital where Diana goes to do her residency. It's been about ten years since Diana finished medical school, because she decided to join a r
Sandra
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: docs, romance
Congratulations to Chris Zett for this full-length debut novel, I’m impressed.

Dr. Emily Barnes is known for her dedication to her work in the hospitals Emergency Department, and not for her friendliness. She strictly separates her work and private life, not that she has a private life, but that’s nobodies concern. When she gets a new resident to supervise, she’s wary, what brings a person to break out of a residency and come back after nearly a decade? She is very suspicious of Diana but also i
Netty
Oct 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Detailed slow burn medical romance, I thought this was written really well, a bit long winded and boring for me to really love it, also nowhere near sexy enough, very vanilla not necessarily a bad thing, characters were likeable, minimal angst, happy ever after, recommended....

An ARC was given by YLVA for an honest review
Gaby LezReviewBooks
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Diana Petrell is a former rock star who left nine years of music and fame behind to resume her career as an emergency medicine doctor. Her residency supervisor is Dr. Emily Barnes, an aloof and hard working attending who is distrustful of her skills. Just when Emily starts letting her guard down and letting the former musician in, Diana’s past threatens to destroy everything that they’ve both fought for.

This is a solid medical romance novel by debut author Chris Zett. She uses her own experience
Tiff
Irregular Heartbeat is a fantastic debut novel by Chris Zett. Now I will be the first to say, I love hospital romances. Can't get enough! So this one was right up my alley.

Dr. Emily Barnes is a no-nonsense hardass when it comes to the hospital’s emergency department. She is all business. She has no time for friendliness, idle chit-chat, all work all the time. Needless to say, she does not have a lot of friends at work. She expects the best from her staff and even more so from herself.

Diana Petr
Tara
Irregular Heartbeat is a super easy book to get into. The story is told well, the medical side of things is interesting and never gets into info overload territory, and the pacing is great too.

Full review: https://www.thelesbianreview.com/irre...
Kexx
Well, you'd know I love this - hospitals, show business, drama, angst - it's all there to read and love! Absolutely 5* - Good book, thanks.
Bethany
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Irregular Heartbeat didn't quite give me heart palpitations, but this was still an enjoyable read! For a debut novel, Zett really did a wonderful job, and I have a feeling that most readers are really going to enjoy this one. It's obvious that Zett knows her stuff when it comes to medical treatments and hospital procedures!

MC Emily is introduced as a total type-A personality and she's a real ice queen character. Emily runs the ER as the attending doctor, and she's portrayed as someone who has se
Loek Krancher
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent!

Emily is no princess charming, Diana is determined to make a fresh start. The closer they get, the harder it becomes to work together. One is emotionally distant because of her past and the other hides a secret. Can they both heal from the past and find love? This is a great romance with a little angst and with complex characters. I'm a big fan of hospital romance and this one I can highly recommend.
Linda J
3.75 ⭐

A pretty good debut book. Likeable and enjoyable storyline but didn’t have me swooning over it though.
Colleen Corgel
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt, arc
This was a pretty fun read. Zett crammed a lot of stuff in here that added more to what is a typical workplace/ medical romance. So, Emily is a brillant attending doctor in a Seattle hospital who is reluctant to work with a new resident who mysteriously had a ten year absence from medicine. Diana is a medical veteran who came back from a ten year break from medicine. She has a pretty big secret as to why she stepped away, and if that secret is revealed, she could lose her job. When Diana and Emi ...more
Jasmine
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I adored this book! What a brilliant debut full-length novel!

Dianna dropped out of her medical residency and has spent the past decade or so dedicated to her career as a drummer in a band. After a few years of soul searching she decides her destiny is in medicine, and she finds a hospital that is willing to take her back to complete her medical residency as an ER doctor, provided her past stays buried and doesn't cause any bad PR for the hospital. Diana's new mentor Emily, AKA babysitter, is pa
Heinerway
I found the story a little bit boring and disappointing in the end.
Emmy
Oct 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I received an ARC from Ylva Publishing in exchange for an honest review.
3.5 stars: This story is a solid medical romance, and as a big fan of medical romances, I really enjoyed it. I will say that I wasn't so sure about the personality of one of the leading ladies, Dr. Emily Barnes, but she evolves as a person and character over the course of the story. I recommend giving this one a chance.
Anna Ries
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Probably would've enjoyed this even more if the whole band aspects wouldn't have been included and therefore more of the medical/hospital relationship development.
Aj Smith
Nov 05, 2018 rated it liked it
This book confused me, not because there was anything too twisty or tricky about it but because I couldn't quite figure out how an author (and editing team) who produced a book with some outstanding sections, also allowed the text go to publication with some really sloppy elements uncorrected. Emily, one of the lead characters is introduced when she wakes up from a recurring dream and this not only makes her memorable but allow the reader an all too brief peep beneath the surface of her consciou ...more
Jude
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love medial romances, and this was one of the best I've read so far. I was a bit concerned about the whole former rock star stuff at first, I was worried it would feel artificial in a way, but it actually worked really well. A very good read all in all.
Fleppy85
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC for an honest review
Emily, a senior attending in the emergency department at a hospital in Seattle. All her life she has lived for medicine, her career and never cared what other people thought about her. The only one, who gets close to her, is her best friend Jen. There is one thing besides work, that holds a big place in her heart and that's a scene from a night during college when she was at a beach and saw a woman play the drums. She never saw the face, only the huge tattoo
Della
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a debut novel for author Chris Zett and I pray there are many more to come our way.
Irregular Heartbeat is a romance set in an Emergency Department at Seattle General Hospital. The story encompasses dealing with our past and its affect on our todays while striving for personal growth to feel comfortable in our lives.

Dr. Diana Petrell is dropped into Dr. Emily Barnes residency program mid year with an unexplained nine year absence from her original partial residency in Los Angeles. Emily
Betty
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
'Irregular Heartbeat' by Chris Zett is a lovely slow burn medical drama/romance that I thoroughly enjoyed reading. The story is about Diana Petrell, a former drummer in a famous rock band who has decided to return and finish the medical residency program she had left nine years ago for the band. In the ER she meets Dr. Emily Barnes, her attending physician and mentor. Of course there is an attraction between the two, but their lives have been so wildly different. There is also a mystery to be so ...more
Mindy
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
**ARC provided by Ylva publishing for an honest review**

I quite enjoyed this book. It had enough medical talk and pace to make it feel like you were right in the department with them, while not over populating the book with medical terminology that would exceed the reader's knowledge. In other words, it was a wonderful balance between the true medical atmosphere and the blow burn budding relations between the two main ladies.

Hmm.. I would say this is perhaps a medium slow burn. It isn't as slow
R
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a very good story that will hold your interest on two fronts: the medical and the romance. So if you enjoy either genre, you will enjoy this story.
Emily and Diana were mature, intelligent, and independent doctors. Emily, the attending physician at the ED, appeared stoic and rigid, especially with her approach to the residents, like Diana who returned to the medical profession after a nine year absence. While others hated being supervised by Emily, Diana enjoyed the discipline and knowl
Marilyn
This was a great slow-burn romance with wonderful main characters surrounded by an interesting and likeable cast. I'll be reading this again.
Liz
Oct 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, romance, lesbian, ylva, telling
I found this to be a sweet romance, but did not feel the connection between the 2 MCs. Personally I thought there were too many plot devices used to generate the on/off starting a relationship. Perhaps if the book summary had not been so detailed that might have helped. As as a reader I prefer to find out about the background story as the book progresses rather than be told upfront, which diminished my enjoyment. I'm not a fan of telling style.

I enjoyed the medical and emergency details, and fel
Carrie
Oct 20, 2018 rated it liked it
I was entertained and it kept me interested enough to read it in an entire Saturday. Standard workplace hospital romance with a unique rock star background for one of the main ladies. Some of the internal monologue was a bit long winded. And I think the author missed an opportunity for Emily to reveal her recurring dream. Overall it was sweet.
MJS
Oct 18, 2018 rated it liked it
ARC received from YLVA in exchange for an honest review.

I liked this but didn’t love it. On the plus side, Emily and Diana are fairly well-fleshed out characters, they interact a lot, and the romance is a slow burn. I also liked the unfolding of watching how Diana worked her way back into her preferred profession, and the hospital setting is always interesting.

On the down side, I did not buy into Diana’s ‘secret’ for even a second. If she’s that well known that her past profession would be an
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Blend
  • Room Service
  • Flinging It
  • Chef's Special
  • Love Like This (Seven Shores, #4)
  • The Loudest Silence (The Loudest Silence, #1)
  • The Art of Us
  • Gold
  • Roller Coaster
Chris Zett lives in Berlin, Germany, with her partner. TV inspired her to study medicine, but she found out soon enough that real life in a hospital consists more of working long hours than performing heroic rescues. The part about finding a workplace romance turned out to be true, though.
She uses any opportunity to escape the routine by reading, writing, or traveling. Her favorite destinations in