Start by marking “Safe Place (Rainbow Place, #2)” as Want to Read:
Safe Place (Rainbow Place, #2)

Safe Place

(Rainbow Place #2)

Where do you go when your home is no longer a safe place?

Alex is about to turn eighteen and is firmly in the closet. He’s been biding his time, waiting to escape to uni, and finally come out away from the oppressive influence of his homophobic father. When he flunks his exams, he’s stuck in the small town of Porthladock—and what’s worse is that he’s working for his dad. Th
Kindle Edition, 1st edition, 186 pages
Published August 31st 2018 by Jaybird Press

To ask other readers questions about Safe Place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Safe Place

Start your review of Safe Place (Rainbow Place, #2)
Judith
4.5

Second book in this delightful series but can be a standalone.I'm pretty much addicted to the charming setting and endearing characters Jay Northcote has created here.A small town setting is one of my favourite things.

Alex is 18 and looking forward to going to University where he can finally come out of the closest and be himself.But life has a way of turning things upside down and when he doesn't get the grades he needs he finds himself forced to stay at home, living in an oppressive environ
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
The second book in the Rainbow Place series explores the relationship between Alex, who’s nearly 18 and living in the closet due to his bigoted parents, and Cam, who’s 23 and works in landscaping.

Unlike the first book in the series, this one is a YA/NA romance. The first couple chapters of Safe Space overlap with Rainbow Place, but I think this story would work fine as a standalone.

Cam is bi and attracted to Alex, but he worries that Alex doesn’t the need the complication of a relationship. He
☆ Todd
Aug 30, 2018 rated it liked it

My favorite thing about reading romance is that it takes me on a journey that makes me *feel* all sorts of emotions. And while this story was fine, the only thing I truly felt was mild frustration. : (

I fully admit that this could just be me in a reading mood, which happens, but I felt like I'd been 'told' why Cam was reluctant to pursue a romantic relationship with Alex, instead of being shown.

So no, in my mind, Cam's reasons didn't feel genuine enough for me to really believe in his convic
Sheri
I just wrote an extremely ranty review...and hit a button in my haste...and....it's gone.
I'm thinking this is a sign. *cringe*

This is a band-aid ripper (and slightly spoilery) so (read with caution and) here goes...

Highlights of my lost rant:
I love Jay and almost always love his books. Almost.
I love slow burn. This was a faint flicker.
Niggle: When I'm patiently waiting for two cocks to kiss...
I don't want a third cock making page time. Unless it's a menage.
When the cock kissing FINALLY happens.
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱*Wanted a deeper connection*⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱

The book centers around Alex Elliot (17, turns 18 at 27% into the book) and Cam (23; six years older than Alex). Cam works for a landscape gardening and is bisexual, while Alex works for his father where he hides his sexuality. They become fast friends and the rest is I guess history? The timeline is for five months; it starts in late May, Alex turns 18 in June and goes from there. It's a slow-burn sort of story, but it's quite predictable and you kno
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
Sep 08, 2018 marked it as i-m-a-quitter
Shelves: male-action
Going to call it quits with this one around 47%! Frankly I’m just bored.

And I just don’t get why these two aren’t or can’t be together.

Gah, I honestly can’t even remember their names right now. I just wasn’t feeling either one of them.

It’s a short book. And nothing’s happening. And it’s taking me forever to read. And I’m just completely uninterested. There. I feel better now.
Bev

I really wanted more from these two, and most definitely more from Cam. I didn't get why he dithered about having a relationship with Alex because it wasn't fleshed out, at all. He's a grown man who had a failed relationship/friendship in his past - he so needed to get over his bloody self and grow a pair. He gave me whiplash, so poor Alex really got the yank around.

Hoping for more from then next one in the series.
.Lili.
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, age-gap

I've wanted to read Safe Place by Jay Northcote since the blurb was first revealed. I don't know; it just hooked me.

friends to lovers + age gap + hurt/comfort

It was screaming my name!

I was kind of nervous I'd built up this book in my head- when I say I hooked, I'm not kidding. I was checking for release dates and any updates of an early release. I needn't have been nervous as I was hooked from the start and hadn't been for responsibilities I'd have read it in one sitting.

Some highlights

-Re
Jay Northcote
Aug 05, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-books
This is the second story in the Rainbow Place series (hopefully I can find a Goodreads librarian to link them soon). It can be read as a standalone but as always it's probably best to read in order if you can.

I hope you enjoy Alex and Cam's story if you decide to read :)
Cadiva
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5*

Jays second instalment in his Rainbow Place series is a sweet slow burn romance with a young adult feel which sits alongside Seb and Jason's perfectly.

Alex is an absolute sweetheart, almost 18 and living with a homophobic father and a less than supportive mother and just finding his way with his sexual experience.

Cam's six years older but still only in his early 20s and his attraction to Alex is complicated by his fears that it'll ruin their friendship

I could understand Cam's point, he'd lo
Adam
Alex lives a double life. At home, with his homophobic politically-active parents, he keeps quiet. He can only be himself when he’s with his friends or at Rainbow Place. And when he’s with Cam.

Alex stole a piece of my heart in book 1. I just wanted to wrap him up in a hug and tell him that it would get better.

description

His story is one that’s still way too common. LGBT+ youth experience self-doubt, alienation, and abandonment on a regular basis.

Cam has been smitten with the teenager since they first met.
Emily Seelye
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Pam Nelson
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a given I was going to listen to the next book because I enjoyed the first one so much. I think I loved these characters more if that is even possible. Alex is so authentically himself but for when it comes to being himself at home. You can’t really blame him though, growing up with knowing you would never be accepted. I can’t even think of such a thing, breaks my heart frankly.

Cam, oh Cam, I get why he puts up all the barriers he is afraid to love and lose something that to him is so pr
Lelyana's Reviews
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, from-author, mm, 2018

Though I'm not a fan of Cam, I loved Alex, he is a sweetheart.
We met Alex in the previous book, and I was wonder what's his story would be, considering who his father is, you know.
This is a very slow burn, and it was getting to my nerves about Cam. I was like, wanted to kiss Cam with my fist, and I didn't blame Alex for trying to move on. Not at all. Alex had every right to try to moved on from Cam.
There's a drama with Alex father (of course), but not as bad as I thought would be, not as messy a
River
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a very lovely second installment in the series.
I really liked getting to know these characters and their different life struggles, I think it was really great that the author showed us to different upbringings. These guys were at different points in their lives so honestly, their way of looking at the world was different but there wasn't a disconnect between them. They worked really fine as friends and lovers.

One of the things that I love and appreciate the most about the author is how
Kristin
Aug 28, 2018 rated it liked it
The author and publisher note this could be read as a standalone, and I mostly agree, though reading the first book will give background to several items referenced in Safe Place.

Premise of the book is Alex is on the cusp of graduating from the British equivalent of High School and is studying for University exams. His short term goal is to get good enough scores to be accepted into a University far from home. Meanwhile, he meets the ruggedly good looking rugby player Cam and Alex thinks they m
Isabella ~Mikku-chan~

This book, although definitely not a light one, was utterly adorable & I can't stop swooning about even days after I read it (yes, I was lucky and got an early copy. <3)

You think book one was amazing, this tops it in my opinion. The way Jay fleshed out the character was amazing and my heart break several times for Alex.

He isn't having an easy life, living under the roof of a homophobic parent and who isn't shy to be
cupcakes and bookshelves
Cam drove me nuts ... but still loved every moment of this slow burn, friends to lovers romance. A brilliant continuation of the series, can't wait for more revisits to this verse. I really hope there is some and soon. Thanks Jay for again sharing something that made me feel and think.

*ARC kindly given in exchange for an honest review, thank you so much. *
Bev
3.5 stars rounded up. I didn't feel much of a connection between Alex and Cam in all honesty, but it won't stop me carrying on with the series. Not my fave Jay story it has to be said 😕. ...more
DepictonFiction
You have slow burn and you have really slow burn. This one is the latter. I loved the slow pace. It worked and can’t wait for the next book
Erica Chilson
I received a copy of this title to read and review for Wicked Reads

3 Stars.

As a big fan of Jay Northcote's writing, generally all the books have been a massive hit with me, but there is something about this series that is a miss. I can't quite put it into words why neither book in the series thus far has resonated with me.

Readers previously met Alex and Cam in Rainbow Place, both helping to get the cafe up and running after it was vandalized. Alex is the son of a local politician who has his
Lisa
Sep 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Alex is studying for his A Levels, desperate to leave home and start Uni many, many miles away from his Father and start his life instead of hiding in the closet. One evening out with friends, he meets Cam and falls hook line and sinker. Cam is a little hesitant due to the 6 year age gap, but starts to wave the "friends only" banner when he discovers who Alex's Father is. Then Alex fails to get the full grades he needs to get into Uni and there's no Plan B.....

I liked Alex, he was young, eager
Chris, the Dalek King
With the misfortune of having the biggest homophobic asshat in the area as his father, Alex has been hiding in the closet since he the first time he knew that he was never going to be the kind of kid that his parents wanted. He has plans to finally come out, though, once he hits university. He only has a few months left to wait, so surely he can last one more summer of hiding the truth from his family. All he has to do is get thru his A-levels, avoid his father as much as possible, and not fall ...more
Elizabeth
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This author just hits all the right notes for me every time. I have yet to read a book by Jay that I haven't enjoyed immensely. Cam and Alex are sweet together their friendship the best and their courtship super frustrating. Cam tries desperately to not get involved with Alex romantically. Alex is younger, has a shit family life, and is in the middle of figuring out his next step in life. The slow burn here borders on torture for the reader. They are awesome together, the potential fireworks bet ...more
Jillian
3.5 stars.

Safe Place is book 2 in the Rainbow Place series but it can be read as standalone since each book in the series is about a different couple. This is a YA LGBTQ friends to lovers MM romance book focusing on 17/18 year old Alex and Cam who is 6 years older. It is based in the UK and at 17, Alex is age of consent even though nothing more than kissing happens prior to his 18th birthday.

We met Alex in the first book and saw that his dad is a horrible human and very homophobic and close mi
Mrs.V
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
I loved Cam’s and Alex’s story!
I love the way Jay Northcote writes well rounded characters, with a whole range of emotions you can feel while reading, and so much more while listening. I loved Hamish Long’s accent and his narration made me feel like I, too, was living in the book.
We live Cam’s hesitation, his reticence to give in to his attraction to Alex, for a number of reasons: in the beginning it’s Alex’s age and the fact that he’s not out, and who his father is; later it’s the fear of ruini
Ed Davis
Jul 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: low-angst, young-love, m-m
This was so much better than the first book. Although, I did find Cam’s behavior to be frustrating. It just didn’t really make sense that he continued to insist that he and Alex be only friends even after all of his original objections where gone.

I listened to both of the first two books and I don’t care for the narrator. He gives funny voices to some of the characters and it bothers me. If I’m listening to an audiobook the narrator can save or hurt the story. I’ll avoid him in the future just
Laura Nelson (Tangents and Tissues)
*** Full review to follow! ***
Barb ~rede-2-read~
ARC provided by the publisher through Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words in exchange for an impartial review.

We first me Alex, the son of the real estate mogul-slash-local politican-slash-major outspoken homophobe in Porthladock, England, when Alex showed up to help Seb and Jason restore Rainbow Place, an LGBTQ-friendly café, after vandals nearly ruined it before it opened. Alex is seventeen, finishing high school, as the story opens, and he’s still harboring his crush on Cam, one of the gorgeo
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Today (Single Dads #2)
  • Throwing Hearts
  • Promise (Single Dads #3)
  • Single (Single Dads #1)
  • Out in the Deep (Out in College, #1)
  • Out in the End Zone (Out in College, #2)
  • Tic-Tac-Mistletoe
  • To Touch the Light (Irons and Works)
  • Lucky (Lucky #1)
  • Eagle Grip (The Guardian #3)
  • The Doctor's Date (Copper Point Medical #2)
  • Borrowed Heart
  • Merry Cherry Christmas
  • Admiring Ash (Love Letters #1)
  • Perfect Alignment (Thorne and Dash, #3)
  • Silken
  • Dads with Benefits (Fairview Single Dads, #1)
  • Love Always
I don't hang out on Goodreads much, so if you'd like to connect with me then Twitter, Facebook or an email is usually best :) All my contact details are on my website.

Jay lives just outside Bristol in the West of England. He comes from a family of writers, but always used to believe that the gene for fiction writing had passed him by. He spent years only ever writing emails, articles, or website c

Rainbow Place (5 books)
  • Rainbow Place (Rainbow Place, #1)
  • Better Place (Rainbow Place, #3)
  • Mud & Lace (Rainbow Place, #4)
  • Happy Place (Rainbow Place, #5)

News & Interviews

Nature, in Her infinite awesomeness, can provide solace even when you’re stuck in the house. As a matter of fact, the numbers suggest that...