Start by marking “Wake Me After the Apocalypse (Bunker Books, #1)” as Want to Read:
Wake Me After the Apocalypse (Bunker Books, #1)

Wake Me After the Apocalypse

(Bunker Books #1)

When a killer comet hurtles for the earth, 18-year-old Joanna Murphy is selected to wait out the apocalypse in an underground bunker. She enters cryosleep with her close-knit team, preparing to resettle the planet after the atmosphere clears in two hundred years.

Joanna is the only one who wakes up.

Faced with a bunker full of bones and a blocked exit, Joanna must claw h
Published September 14th 2018 (first published August 23rd 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Wake Me After the Apocalypse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wake Me After the Apocalypse

Start your review of Wake Me After the Apocalypse (Bunker Books, #1)
Emma
Apr 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I do like a good apocolypse scenario! This was a rollicking good read.
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this and I really tried to like it but for me it was just a big disappointment. Maybe it was the writing style which came across as extremely juvenile and simplistic. It was missing the kind of character interactions that would have given it the kind of depth necessary to carry a story that was essentially boring. The first half was made up of a back and forth between flashbacks and Joanna’s never ending ascent out of the shaft. The only thing that kept me reading was the desire ...more
Pauline Ross
So let’s get one thing straight right from the start - I don’t read post-apocalypse books. Got that? Good. So… erm, what happened here? I made the mistake of reading the blurb, that’s what happened, and instantly I was hooked. That’s one powerful opening scene.

Here’s the premise: there’s a massive comet hurtling towards the earth which is going to devastate the whole planetary surface, destroying not just civilisation but pretty much all life forms. There’ll then be a long perma-winter before pl
Mark
Oct 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Title: Wake Me After the Apocalypse

Author: Jordan Rivet

Publication Date: Sep 2018

Genre: Postapocalyptic

Score: 3/5

In this YA novel, a group of people is chosen to enter cryosleep to avoid a mass extinction event in the form of an asteroid strike. When one girl awakes, she discovers that there has been an earthquake that has killed her entire cohort. The story follows her escape and attempts at survival.

A lot of the events and character actions are not believable. To say more would spoil the stor
Kathy Miller
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
The writing was well done, the characters were interesting and well-developed. The author kept up the suspense until the end. I liked that the protagonist or main character was a young girl who struggled alone to survive until she was finally reunited with her team. The concept of the end of the world via comet was believable and consequences of starting anew with next to nothing and the trials and tribulations that followed were realistic. I feel the ending was a bit brief and would have like t ...more
Flo
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I heard the first chapter read at the book launch, then it sat on my bedside table for a few days, and then I read the whole thing in one night and now I'm living the consequences of not sleeping for the sake of books.
I do definitely feel like it's a book for younger adults within the "Young Adult" section, but the twist was unexpected and the character clear-cut and if there were a sequel, I would have likely read that last night as well.
Marion Marchetto
Author Jordan Rivet has struck it out of the ballpark once more in Wake Me After the Apocalypse.

As a comet name named Brandon speeds toward Earth, the days until mankind’s extinction are truly numbered. Even with eight months until impact there is little that humanity can do: avoidance of this tragedy is impossible. Although the field of cryosleep is relatively new, it may be the only chance man has of reclaiming the Earth and rebuilding. One thousand randomly selected individuals are selected t
Ozsaur
Joanna has a lot of hard choices to face, and a lot of obstacles to overcome when she's chosen for a special program. When an extinction level event is about to destroy Earth, Joanna gets the chance to survive, along with one thousand other young people.

The story is told from both the past, and what Joanna has to face in the future after awakening from cryogenic sleep. Nothing is what it seems, and nothing turns out the way she expects.

Joanna is easy to relate to. She wonders why she, of all peo
Olivia
Apr 30, 2020 added it
Shelves: no-rating, sci-fi
Every now and then, I'm in the mood for an apocalypse, and when I stumbled over this one, I thought it looked decent, and I loved the cover. Verdict: a fast and gripping read with a few interesting twists and turns, but somewhat juvenile in places. ...more
Julian Grives
Mar 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The End Of The World
Have you ever wondered what you would do if it were the end of the world? Would you be with your friends and family? Try to plan for survival despite what the experts say? Or would you just cause more chaos? Jordan Rivet wrote Wake Me Up After The Apocalypse telling what Joanna Murphy would do when a comet would come hurtling towards Earth, threatening to kill all of humanity as we know it. But even though this book is an action-packed journey with a goal to survive and rebu
Tessa Stilley
Mar 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was the one I held out on the most of all of Rivet's works. I love everything else she has written so I don't know why I waited so long to read it. I think I was worried that I wouldn't love it as much. I was still on a High after a reread of her Empire of talents series when I picked this up. I had read her Seabound series but this dystopian had a far different tone then her other books.

I will be honest this book wasn't exactly what I was expecting from the blurb. I suppose I had som
Vicky
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Easy to read, devoured within a day.
Alex Blakiewicz
Mar 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Angharad Price
May 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Post-apocalyptic novels are not normally where my interest lies. However, after reading the synopsis I knew instantly that it was something that needed to be read, the few lines on the back of the cover had me already hooked and Jordan Rivet really hit it out of the ballpark with this one.

The first chapter describes a young adult, Joanna waking up from a cryogenic tank alone 200 years in the future surrounded by the skeletal remains of her friends. Not only is Joanna alone in the bunker, but sh
Katherine M
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Author Jordan Rivet provided me with a free review copy of this book.
I started reading Jordan Rivet’s books about a year ago when an urban fantasy author, Annette Marie, recommended them to her fans. I’ve read two books in her Empire of Talents series, and one in her Steel and Fire series. The others are on my TBR pile, awaiting my attention. Jordan is an amazing author, and I’m delighted to review her latest book, Wake Me After the Apocalypse.
A comet hurtles to the earth, bringing the death o
Andrea Loveless
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.8 stars.
I received this book free as an ARC but this is my honest review.

Joanna is both lucky and unlucky as one of the few chosen in the world to enter sleep for 200 years in order to repopulate the earth after a massive comet named Brandon obliterates everything. She leaves behind her family and her home to become part of a new family,--her team. After training, falling in love, trying to solve mysteries right at the end, she enters cryosleep only to wake up in the future alone. She strugg
Hayley Haws
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome from start to finish!

Jordan Rivet has once again created an immersive, well thought out story. While I would normally give a synopsis here of the story I really enjoyed how limited the already presented information was. I think publishers can overdo the preview of a book but with this one I really felt like I had no idea what was coming next since so little information was given.

That aside, I had a hard time putting this book down. There is a lot of time spent with just the main charac
Ryan H
I found this book to be very enjoyable. It is smart, witty and has just enough edge to keep you on your seat wondering what will come next. The characters are likeable and I must say are very diverse and represent many different groups of people. That might be my number one take away from this book. I am blind myself as is one of the characters and I must say it was very well written and well performed. There are some twists and turns that will leave you guessing in this one but I enjoyed them a ...more
Loie
Nov 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dystopian
Hmmm, I don’t know. I kind of have mixed feelings about this one. It started good, and I enjoyed the flashbacks that showed how the whole apocalypse occurred. When it got to around halfway int he story, it started to slow down a little bit. And to be honest, it only felt like it was properly getting into the story just as it ended. I was surprised to see that there wasn’t a second novel to follow up, as everything kind of just felt a bit rushed at the end.
I really enjoyed the concept though, an
Rene Averett
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sarah Crawford
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There's a comet heading for Earth and it will wipe out the human race almost completely. Some young people, mostly, are chosen to be part of a cyro-sleep program where they will not be awoken for two hundred years, giving the Earth time to recover.

Joanna is one of those chosen but when she awakens she finds out the facility has been almost totally destroyed and out of 1000 sleepers it appears she is the only one to survive.

Although she isn't, she finds out, as a very small number awoke early but
Meaghan Veseth
Jan 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I got this book months and months ago when I was thinking about trying to get into more sci-fi but then I got really busy with school and my little project fell to the side for a while. Recently I had a bit of time to read and thought I might be in the mood for a sci-fi book and went rummaging through my shelves. All I remembered when I picked the book up was that it was supposed to be a post apocalyptic setting after some large event and I am actually glad that I didn’t remember the synopsis or ...more
Angela Malicoate
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Reverse Passengers?

This read to me almost like a reverse of the idea from Passengers (which I didn’t like, so if you did, read this book!) The end of the world is happening due to a comet hitting the earth, so certain people are selected to go to sleep and wake up 200 years later. Joanna is one of those people, except when she wakes up on time, half of the sleeping chambers are smashed or without power - leaving their occupants dead. The other half of the chambers are separated from her by a cav
Stephanie
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I fell in love with Jordan Rivet's Empire of Talent series and Duel of Fire series, so when I heard she was releasing a new book, I jumped right on it. Once again, I was not disappointed.

Jordan Rivet creates a new vast world as we follow Joanna, our main protagonist, and how she must deal with her current situation. I really enjoyed being able to read about this character and learn what made her who she is. And then throughout the story, she continues to grow with her resilience and level-headed
Belle
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for a review, and I truly enjoyed this book.

Wake Me After the Apocalypse starts slowly, switching back and forth between the past and the future. Joanna was chosen to become a member of a cryosleep team, but to do so she must leave her entire biological family. However, while training to be part of the team, she develops connections with her new team, who she will spend the rest of her life with. She develops a love interest during the "
Robert
Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Duve in, Be patient, and read with confidence

This a Young Adult (YA) book that seems to claim the niche of writing to prepare the young reader for moving to the 'next level'. Too much superflous language to rate it otherwise.

As for the story, if you simply enjoy reading, it's good, but far from enthralling. The action does not start until you're fully 50% into the book. I've seen very good movies do that. But then, you're watching character(s) move, seeing lots of scenery and so forth, even go
Sheri Dye
Jun 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
Joanne never thought she would be chosen.. but luck of the draw has given her a chance to be one of the few who will join the governments slapdash, last ditch program for the preservation of mankind.
No one can know what these chosen few will truly face.
Two hundred years they'll sleep.
Two hundred years for the surface to become inhabitable.
Two hundred years for things to go very, very wrong.

It's set up really well for the next book in the series, no cliffhanger.. any confusion or questions are
Su
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very good read!

I had read other books by this author and really enjoyed them. So I decided to give this one a try. Evening put into cryosleep to avoid a major catastrophe sound like a good premise for a story. But the story didn't go like I thought it would. It was much bigger than coming awake 200 years in the future. There are so many things to consider about starting a new population. These are kids who wake up and have a huge responsibility. I would recommend this book to anyone. It takes a
Bethany Hoeflich
In general, I'm not a fan of post-apocalyptic fiction, but Wake Me After the Apocalypse blew me away!

The book starts with fresh-faced, nieve Joanna Murphy waking up from cryosleep, ready to resettle the earth after a killer comet killed everyone on the planet. Unfortunately, nothing went to plan when she discovered that she was the only person who survived in her bunker.

This book was very character-driven, and the writing was absolutely fantastic--I would expect nothing less from Jordan Rivet!
Paul
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Comet BRANDON! Ahahahaha.

So most of us get stonked by a comet named Brandon. Sooo funny - the name, not the wiping out part. The language is quite simplistic, and a bit like reading a junior high school (grade 10 or 11) English essay. Nevertheless, it seems a bit of research went into this story and it does show imagination. I'm happy to report a lack of typos too - high marks for that Ms Rivet.

I'm pretty certain that, with a bit more experience, this author will be able to pump out pretty good
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Wake Me After the Apocalypse [April 16, 2021] 10 9 May 05, 2021 05:08AM

• The Drowned (Deluge #1)
  • Escape the Breakdown (Powerless World #1)
  • What We Become
  • Flight 3430
  • Armageddon (Nuclear Winter #2)
  • Overfall (Broken Tide #1)
  • Survivors (Deluge #3)
  • Seeking Refuge (Gateway to Chaos #2)
  • Aftershocks (Aftershocks #1)
  • Fractured Coast (Broken Tide Book 2)
  • Phage (Deluge #2)
  • Seeking Hope (Gateway to Chaos #4)
  • Solar Fury (Shattered Sunlight Trilogy #1)
  • Survive the Lawless: A Post-Apocalyptic EMP Survival Thriller (A Powerless World Book 2)
  • Anyone? (Anyone #1)
  • Maelstrom (Broken Tide Book 3)
  • Rockfall (Tertiary Effects Book 1)
  • No Way Out (Fall of Houston #1)
Jordan Rivet is an American author of swashbuckling YA fantasy and post-apocalyptic science fiction. Originally from Arizona, she lives in Hong Kong with her husband.

Jordan's YA fantasy series include Steel and Fire, Empire of Talents, The Fire Queen’s Apprentice, and Art Mages of Lure. Her science fiction includes Wake Me After the Apocalypse and The Seabound Chronicles.

Bunker Books (2 books)
  • Meet Me at World's End (Bunker Books, #2)