Start by marking “The Science of Information: From Language to Black Holes” as Want to Read:
The Science of Information: From Language to Black Holes

The Science of Information: From Language to Black Holes

The science of information is the most influential, yet perhaps least appreciated field in science today. Never before in history have we been able to acquire, record, communicate, and use information in so many different forms. Never before have we had access to such vast quantities of data of every kind. This revolution goes far beyond the limitless content that fills ou ...more
The Great Courses, 362 pages
Published 2015 by The Great Courses

To ask other readers questions about The Science of Information, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Science of Information

John Allard
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great high-level coverage of the field of information theory.
Douglas Cosby
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't really enjoy this course at the beginning. I'm not sure if it was because Schumacher referenced several diagrams that I couldn't see because I was listening to it in my car or if the subject matter just seemed a bit droll -- I really don't know. Regardless, it kicked in about mid-way through; and while downloading a PDF version of the aforementioned diagrams probably helped a bit, I think it was more that Schumacher proceeded to expand the scope of the Science of Information to include ...more
Noah Graham
Jan 03, 2019 rated it liked it
HOW THE F#*K IS THE INFORMATION THEORY OF ENTROPY SUPPOSED TO BE TRUE WHEN PARTICLES LOSE INFORMATION DUE TO QUANTUM UNCERTAINTY ALL THE TIME!!! :@ :s
SERIOUSLY! IF QUANTUM EFFECTS PREVENT YOU FROM PREDICTING THE THE FUTURE STATE OF THE UNIVERSE BEYOND A CERTAIN LEVEL OF ACCURACY THEY ALSO MAKE THE PAST UNRECOVERABLE TO THE SAME EXTENT!!!! :@ :@ :@

Also the chapter on open key cryptography left too many questions unanswered.
Steve Agland
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent tour of an underappreciated subject. Information science underpins most of the big changes humanity is going through at the moment. It's quite mathsy and I think it'll help to have some passing familiarity with the topic to really enjoy. Something about this subject just makes me happy. It has the satisfaction of elegant mathematics with real-world implications behind every step of exposition. And the lecturer is very engaging and accomplished.
Aurel Lazar
This was a really fascinating insight into the Information Theory and a wonderful coverage of such varied and interesting fields; however, while I did enjoy the series, I found that it was intended to be visualized, as the lecturer consistently made reference to visual data such as graphs, which made it very frustrating when consuming it as an audio-book. This left me imagining a lot of the formulas he was discussing, which made it really hard to listen to.
Ralph Trickey
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible
I had no idea how connected it was to modern physics.
I knew the bare bones just from being around Information Theory, but I had no idea that the theories were intertwined with the idea of entropy. I kept hearing about information in relation to popular physics, but didn't understand what that meant. This book has clarified a lot for me.
Jan
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very interesting
Dan
My favorite quotes:
"Ultimately, the context of every message and every program is the universe itself."
"It is likely that the most meaningful piece of information will be the piece that is easiest to read, that first layer of the message. Even that profound message would be in a sense be just one bit, a yes instead of no, a one instead of zero."
Ladd