Start by marking “Genealogy” as Want to Read:
Genealogy

Genealogy

Inspired by real, hundred-year-old love letters.

My great-grandmother's name is bold across the cream envelope, now golden at the seams with age. I can't remember the last time I’ve seen graceful, purposeful handwriting with a fountain pen and not the hasty scrawl of ballpoint.

Alice Hirshhorn, Astoria Hotel, Seattle Washington.

“Letters to Great-grandma Alice,” I say with w
Published October 25th 2018 by Atacama Books

To ask other readers questions about Genealogy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Genealogy

Start your review of Genealogy
Mary
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received an earc for free to base my review on. Thank you so much for the opportunity Mae.

I have to say I loved reading this book. There are a few POV's throughout the novel that takes us from Ali, Elliot, and Alice. I love how descriptive Mae is with her world building, and she shows us that by going back into history; we can find out about our families, well especially Elliot and Alice.

I also loved the fact that Ali regained her confidence after not getting the job/position she wanted. She i
E.S. Carter
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mae Wood has crafted a beautiful masterpiece that spans oceans and generations. It touches on war and loss, love and life, and hopes and dreams. It weaves its way effortlessly through timelines to create a stunningly written story filled with bittersweet connections.
Mae told me this book wasn’t romance, but I have to disagree.
I fell in love with each character, each couple and each life story. I yearned. I swallowed down tears, and I smiled big.
If that’s not romance, then I don’t know what is
Melanie Moreland
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Joy, heartbreak, and love captured in ink. Letters of a bygone era, when words promised and beckoned. The background which leads into Ali and Ben’s story was nothing short of magical for me. I loved every word. The way the author allowed the past and present to merge and enfold was perfect. Beautifully told, elegantly styled.
An epic journey of life and love – timeless and beautiful.
Beth ~ Panda & Boodle
IT'S LIVE.

It’s nearly impossible to properly measure the effect Mae Wood’s Genealogy had on my heart. Still, I will try. Because y’all need this book in your life—that I know for sure.

Brilliant and bittersweet. Sweet and swoonworthy. Just a few of the words that ran across my mind as I sank into the lives and loves of Ali, Alice and Elliott, separated by oceans and time. Every word on every page had som
Theresa Smith
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Inspired by the real 100 year old love letters belonging to the author’s great-grandmother, Genealogy is a moving story of love, missed opportunities and destiny in action.

‘Come with me, Alice. Stay with me, explore with me, journey with me. Marry me. Because when the ground gives way under my feet again, I don’t want to have been the man who sent you pink roses, too afraid to buy the red ones that I wanted to give you. I don’t want to be the man who worked so long to prepare the perfect place f
Jane super booklover📚
Loved it. Its not my genre but i read it for a challenge and really liked it. It reads fast and its sweet and loving and it doesnt drags it was really good!
ItaPixie
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars

Genealogy was an interesting and intriguing book,slightely different from what I usually read.
I have to be honest it was a slow read for me at the beginning but after a few chapters I changed my mind and I was hooked.

Mae Wood did an amazing work,perfectly interwining past and present.
The characters were portrayed so well I could easily understand their feelings, their actions and their choices,even if they lived so many years before my birth.
I have enoyed this journey, the curiousity of the res

Jodi
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This story encompasses so many genres, it's hard to categorize it. It's difficult to explain what you'll feel and the experiences you'll get when you read it. History blends with romance. It is fiction, based largely in reality. Every reader's reaction will be varied and personal. And the words, oh the words, are all carefully chosen, exquisite and full of depth.

I admit, for me it was a slow start. The details of the past sometimes felt heavy. The story, though intriguing, moved slowly. And bec
Missie M
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I literally could not put this book down and read it straight through from start to finish. The love stories (yes more than one) combined together made this book instantly one of my favorites! The transitions between points of view were impeccable and made the progression feel so natural. As we were let more and more into Alice and Elliott’s story we also got to know Ali. I loved these characters, I loved the sweet romance of this book, and I loved every little morsel this book had to offer.

Lea
Shelly Reynolds
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
"Marry me. Because when the ground gives way under my feet again, I don't want to have been the man who sent you pink roses, too afraid to buy the red ones that I wanted to give you."

This was my first read of Mae Wood, and now, I need to go gobble up everything else she's written. This story was just beautiful! If you ever doubted how one decision can forever alter the universe, doubt no more!!

Ali Waller had her life planned out. A coveted position at one of the best hospitals in California, a
My Own Bookshelves
Branching out of my normal read selections, Genealogy offers a star-crossed romance of two generations. This is a story you can recommend to your mother, grandmother and teenage daughter to remind them that your ‘one’ is not always who you think they are.

Genealogy is told in a dual timeline story. Think The Lake House or any Kate Morton fiction. We are treated to the story of Alice and Elliot as World War I is barreling down on them. Ali, Alice’s great granddaughter and namesake, discovers this
Celeste
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This isn’t a book like I’ve read before. It’s a story told in present day, and one hundred years in the past.
A second chance romance, but not in the way you would normally expect. A story told in first and third person. Mae has a done a beautiful job of telling parallel stories without confusion.
Ali, named after her great-grandmother Alice, is gifted a set of old love letters. As she reads, we travel with her through a romance. This book gives us all the feelings. It’s happy, expectant, sad, d
Joyce
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully bittersweet
Every now and again a book comes along that stops me dead in my tracks. I can’t move on from the feelings elicited, the words drummed into my heart. This is one of those books.
Genealogy is a big book. Big in heart, soul, and intent. Swirling in and out through generations, continents, and world wars; this story is bound together by a constant ribbon of correspondence. Heartfelt, lovely, earthy, bittersweet, deliberate correspondence by the star-crossed Elliott and Alice.
Stephanie
This is a different type of book for me to read. I enjoyed the older story, though it had some very sad parts. I was pulled into this story from the beginning and didn’t want to put it down. The old letters were beautiful as well. For the current story, the friendship to more development was lovely and I liked all of the characters. Overall, a very good story. From a romance reader standpoint, the wrap up/ending with the current story was a bit abrupt for my liking or what I’m used to, which lef ...more
Sheila'S Book Corner
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star, diane, favorites

“His heart tightens as the illusion of their proximity shimmers and breaks. They are so far apart, both in space and time. The thousands of miles he swore to bridge with his letters...”

Ali discovers letters written to her great grandmother Alice. Letters that reveal an epic love story. With those letters the author takes us on a journey through time to ear
Bonnie
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Such a well written and satisfying read. The two time periods didn’t annoy like some other books I’ve read bc it wasn’t frequent or every chapter. I like the characters and the back and forth between characters. I gave it 5 stars bc I just can’t think how it could be better.
Stephanie
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to read an advance copy of Genealogy and even now, weeks later, I still find myself thinking about this beautiful book, its story and its characters. Genealogy is not only a poignant, dare I say epic, love story but also a story of growth and self-discovery. It touching, romantic, bittersweet and swoony. It’s the love stories of two couples that, although separated by 100 years, fit together and around each other without seeming artificial or forced, and draw the reader in com ...more
Mari
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was excited how Mae Wood would incorporate the letters in this story and she did it well done. I love the fact that it has a real life inspiration and meant something to the author. Of having some parts of it in my hometown and knowing some history behind that makes it even better. Ali is one of those heroines you can relate to and even her struggle with her career. The ups and downs of her life still connected to the letters.

I admit some parts of the letters were heartbreaking, you don't real
Cathy
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ubr-challenge
I loved the premise of this book, finding a little piece of history and being absorbed by the story.

I thought this was beautifully written, taking you from past to present and back again through various viewpoints. We see the letters from Elliot to Alice in the early 1900's as they maintained a long distance relationship having met and known one another for such a short time, seeing the obstacles in their way but also the strength of their feelings. I was swept away by the romance of it all.

I li
Diane (Books and Tequila Blog)
Genealogy is a story that beautifully blends historical and contemporary romance. I read this book from beginning to end in less than a day! So touching with perfect touches of humor.

“Sometimes love burns slowly like a smoldering coal and sometimes it’s a flaming forest fire.”

My full review:
Mimi
May 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2019, book-club
According to the back cover, Wood has written several romance novels prior to this historical fiction. I can see that, as this is a sweet, not too heavy, romance with a historical fiction background. I enjoyed the story, though, but it won't stand out as an amazing read of the year. ...more
Coco.V
Feb 23, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (2/23/2019)! 🎁

Inspired by real, hundred-year-old love letters.

Alice Hirshhorn, Astoria Hotel, Seattle Washington.

“Letters to Great-grandma Alice,” I say with wonder, tracing my fingers over the faded postmark and foreign stamps.

December 1915. Phili
Samantha
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Imagine finding love letters written to your great grandmother from your not great grandfather. This is the story of Dr Ali Waller discovering a treasure trove of letters from prior and during World War I. The story is written in 3 POV’s over two timelines. You’ll read the letters between Elliot and Alice and follow their star crossed love story in between present day Ali dealing with all the joys and tribulations of being an almost 40 unmarried professional. Through research she discovers Ellio ...more
Lisa Hill
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with the premise of this book but was reluctant to start it, for reasons I can't explain. I procrastinated for a couple of weeks before taking the plunge and starting.

Dear reader, I finished it inside 48 hours. Once I started, I couldn't stop. This is a beautiful, gentle peek into a time when romance, courtship and love were a more chaste and reserved affair. The glimpse of an ankle would set pulses racing. A person's standing in life and society was important; being the best vers
Michelle
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You need to read this book. You need to fall in love with Alice, Elliott, Ali, XZY, Grammie, ABCD. (Letters for names as to not spoil)

This book spans 100 yrs and multiple couples. It boggles my mind what just 100 yrs ago looked like. What love looked like, what distance can do to a couple, what we take for granted today (communication and transportation).

We meet Ali when she is cleaning out her Grammie's house in prep for moving her to an assisted living facility. She comes across love letters
Zilpha Owens
Nice read

I’m not sure what I was expecting but this turned out to be a nice, easy read. Not a romance, but a love story nonetheless. Beautiful love letters, a bit of heartbreak and well written.
Dawn Doyle
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing story. At times it’s so very sad but hang on because soon you’ll be laughing at the dialogue between Ben and Ali. This is such a new and unique story. The characters of Alice and Elliott are so well written. I wanted them together even while knowing it couldn’t be.

Resilient is a good description for Elliott. A man with such good intentions lives with so much disappointment. He surely was a survivor but my heart hurts for him.

Alice was a different type of survivor. She chose a
Sarah Austin
This turned put to be a very sweet surprise. It really picked up at about 50% and I loved Ben and his relationship with Ali and the parallels between their meeting and Elliot and Alice. 4.5 stars
Robin
Jan 25, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lightweight, enjoyable story. Just what I needed.
Karen Manna
Jan 07, 2020 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the pace of this book. The story line was a little predictable but had a few twists and added some surprises to keep my attention. It didn’t drag, which I appreciated. The writing was well done. Nice, feel good read!
United By Romance: This topic has been closed to new comments. Genealogy Blog Tour 3 22 Sep 28, 2018 08:52AM

• Mulberry Bay: A Novel
  • The Christmas Carol (Jayne Sinclair Genealogical Mystery #6.5)
  • The Death Certificate: A genealogy meets metal-detecting mystery
  • Family Secrets
  • The Book Club
  • The Sinclair Betrayal (Jayne Sinclair Genealogical Mystery #5)
  • The Wideness of the Sea
  • Three Times Removed (Maze Investigations - The Genealogy Detectives #1)
  • The Marriage Certificate
  • The Merchant's Daughter (Jayne Sinclair Genealogical Mystery #6)
  • Women Within
  • The Secrets Mothers Keep
  • The Politician (Maze Investigations - The Genealogy Detectives Book 4)
  • Reputations: A Madeleine Porter mystery
  • The Letter
  • The Julia Legacy (Maze Investigations - The Genealogy Detectives Book 3)
  • The Port Elspeth Jewelry Making Club
  • Music From Home
Professional sassypants and novelist, Mae Wood has been a bookworm her entire life.

She loves cheeses, complicated crafts that she'll start but never complete, and puns.

A while ago Mae decided that she needed to give up the fear that she couldn't write "great literature" and write what she wants to read.

And she wants romance. And laughter. And real life.

She wants heroines who are brave. Brave enou