Jump to ratings and reviews

Bloom of Love

Maybe it’s not too late for her happily ever after…
Carla’s always been a romantic. As the owner of the only flower shop in town, she believes in true love and can, of course, quote every line in The Princess Bride.

Which wouldn’t be quite so pathetic if she wasn’t thirty-seven and still single. So single, in fact, she’s forgotten what it’s like to have a man give her a single carnation, let alone a dozen roses.

Then Christian walks into Happy Petals, and she knows the fragrance of flowers has to have gone straight to her head. There is no chance the cute Spanish guy she remembers from high school would be interested in her…

She’s the girl of his dreams, and way out of his league…
Family is important to Christian. Why else would he be living in a company trailer? It’s a sacrifice he has to make so he can afford to send his sister to college. But nearing forty, his own chances of starting a family aren’t lookin’ too hot, especially considering he hasn’t been out on a date in years.

So it makes no sense at all he can’t get Carla out of his head. Not only is she gorgeous, she’s college-educated and way too good for a barely educated guy like him.

Only, she does seem interested.

Maybe, if he hides the truth about just how out of her league he is, he might have a chance…

Bloom of Love is the tenth novel in the Long Valley Romance series, although all books in the Long Valley world can be read as standalones. It has some strong language, and oh my, sexy times. Enjoy!

250 pages, ebook

Published April 1, 2021

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Erin Wright

39 books335 followers
USA Today Bestselling author Erin Wright has worked every job under the sun, including library director, barista, teacher, website designer, and ranch hand helping brand cattle, before settling into the career she’s always dreamed about: Author.

She still loves coffee, doesn’t love the smell of cow flesh burning, and is currently living out her own love story in a tiny town in rural Idaho.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 (1%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 42 reviews
Profile Image for Margaret Watkins.
2,636 reviews50 followers
April 1, 2021
In this fun romance, opposites attract in a dozen different ways. Where Carla is outgoing, generous, and bubbly, Christian is the epitome of the strong, silent type. Having kept his nose to the grindstone for years, he hasn't had much time for dating or relationships, especially as he is also self-conscious about his background and family roots. He lives in a trailer on his boss' property and has very little to offer the love of his life. Carla has many of the same concerns as Christian, in that she hates the fact that her student loans are an albatross around her neck and she is equally embarrassed about her living conditions. Both of them are strong-minded and caring, but their insecurities hold them back. As Christian and Carla find out, no problem is insurmountable and when a person wants something strongly enough, they will go to any lengths to make things work. I enjoyed this well-written novel and the main characters in all their awkwardness endeared them to me from the beginning. The story is romantic and witty, but it is also a lesson in kindness and tolerance for people who are unique and different. I received a copy of this novel as a gift and this is my honest and voluntary review.
Profile Image for Elaine .
366 reviews2 followers
April 2, 2021
It has been a long dry spell waiting for Erin's next book but it was worth the wait. I do love the stories about the small town of Sawyer, Idaho. Having lived in a small Idaho town myself, I can relate to the quirky characters who come together to help each other out when times get tough but know all of each other's business too! The lead characters Carla and Christian are a bit unconventional so it makes their romance a nice fresh surprise. Carla feels that she is overweight and has body issues. Christian is shy and clueless about dating and being Hispanic from a large farm labor family, he feels that he doesn't deserve Carla. And they are both ashamed of their tiny living quarters and lack of money and both in their late 30s. These issues make the characters real and relatable, and their struggles and stumbles will pull at your heart. And there is a very sweet romance (with some steam) that will make you sigh too. I volunteered to read and review an early copy because I had waited long enough!
Profile Image for Becky Claxon.
1,682 reviews6 followers
April 4, 2021
I am sure that Christian was wondering if he would find the right woman to fall in love with since he was already 40 and still single. I am sure his family thought the same thing since they were Hispanic and used to large families. I was glad he thought Carla was beautiful since she was 37 and considered herself fat. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and Christian thinks Carla is beautiful. It was funny how they were both shy about dating the other and what they should do. I loved that Carla was a florist, but felt like the things she knew about why people were giving flowers was her sacred duty not to tell anyone. There are some surprises that come up for the two of them—some good and some not so good. This is a sweet story about love. I was given a copy of the book and voluntarily wrote a review.
April 1, 2021
Don't judge a book by its cover

When I sit down with one of Erin Wright's books I know that I'm in for a treat. Her books are filled with relatable characters and stories that will warm your heart with a little spice added in.

This is Christian and Carla's story and it is set in the small town of Sawyer, Idaho in Long Valley.

Christian is the oldest child of 7 and the only boy. Family is everything to him. He works as a ranch foreman o a small ranch. At 38, he has given up on finding someone to marry and spend his life with. His life is hard work and saving every penny to help pay for his second youngest sister's college tuition. That is until Mother's Day when he realizes that he forgot to get something for his mama. He ducks into the local flower shop to buy her some flowers. When he does, he sees Carla who owns the shop. Christian knew Carla in high school but didn't have anything to do with her. But when he sees her now, he is struck by how beautiful she is and how easily she talks to her customers. He wants to ask her out but he gets flustered and leaves after Carla's helps him buy the flowers. When he gets another opportunity to go to her shop again he is still tongue tied.

Carla is 37 and a romantic at heart. She has given up on marriage. She helps take care of her niece and nephew and she has her shop and her cats. When Christian comes into her shop to order flowers for his sister's quinceanera, she wishes that she could have a guy like Christian but what would a guy like him want with a big girl like her? When Christian finally gets the nerve to ask Carla out on a date, Carla is surprised. Why would a guy like him want to date her?

As the two begin to date, they learn that what you think about someone is not always what the truth is as well as the importance of communication. It was great to see how the two of them worked through their issues and the pride that they both had.

This book did not disappoint. While it is the 10th book in the Long Valley series, it can definitely be read by itself.

Profile Image for Emily Pennington.
15.5k reviews184 followers
April 11, 2021
This is a story about two people who want what everyone does – to be loved and to be happy. Carla is a romantic, waiting for the man of her dreams and starting to feel that it won’t ever happen. Ranch foreman Christian knew her in high school and he can’t stop thinking of her. Both of them are in their late 30’s and would love to find their special someone to settle down with and have a family. But Christian is afraid he has waited too long. He has been delaying his own happiness so that his sister can get a college education. Staying in a company trailer to save money so he can pay for her tuition, he hasn’t had any time for romance. Then he remembers he needs flowers for his mom!

It takes a couple of trips to the flower shop before Christian gets up the nerve to ask Carla on a date. He feels he is out of her league, but he needs to give her a chance. These two really need a shot of self-confidence! He is so flustered about asking her out, and she is finding it impossible to imagine him wanting a date with a big girl like her. Yet these two people have hearts of gold, with kindness and love given freely to their family members. They are actually perfect for each other! And if they can open up and talk to each other, share their hopes and dreams, they may find out that they really do belong together! Is this the beginning of their love story? Is there a HEA waiting for them?

Once more, the author’s books are pure magic! She welcomes readers into her world and makes them family! The reader already knows quite of few of the townspeople. Now it’s Carla and Christian’s turn for happiness. Grab your book and don’t miss this one! Your Long Valley family is waiting for you to visit!
Profile Image for Connie.
1,480 reviews4 followers
April 18, 2021
I received a complimentary copy of this book from Booksprout and I am voluntarily reviewing it.

This is a part of a series. I have read all of the prior books and when the previous characters made their multiple appearances throughout, I knew who they were. That being said, it is hard to determine (for me at least) if you really need to read their stories to understand this one. I am leaning to you don’t have to but I really would suggest that you do. They are nice bookcations to escape for a little while.

Carla runs the local florist shop. Because of her business, she knows a lot about Sawyer, ID! She lives about the shop to conserve money to help pay down her student loans. Christian is the son of immigrants. He is the foreman for Stetson and lives in a singlewide trailer on Stetson’s farm. Carla is overweight but Christian is a man that loves curves on a woman. Go Christian!

I adored Christian (being an overweight person myself). I also loved the fact that both protagonists were a few years shy of 40. These two have the normal everyday type of issues to overcome and it is nice to “see” how these two approach and overcome them.

This is a sexy read. I would highly recommend this to someone over the age of 18.
Profile Image for Kym.
546 reviews
April 2, 2021
This is a wonderful, heartwarming love story, a balm for all we’ve experienced this past year. Carla and Christian’s story is sweet - both are worried they are not enough for each other - and yet, once they get together, their love shines through. Carla, owner of Happy Petals flower shop, has watched her friends and others find their happily-ever-afters while she...hasn’t.

At 37, she’s beginning to wonder if she will ever find love. And Christian, at 38 and oldest child in a family of seven with six younger girls, some who already have children of their own, also believes love has perhaps passed him by.

But when he meets Carla...well, he’s thinking she might be that special someone.

And Carla...just seeing Christian puts a big smile on her face!

Watching these two fall in love is endearing - and although it’s a story made more poignant in this time when our lives have been so changed due to the pandemic, it is a love story for ALL time.

640 reviews2 followers
April 29, 2021
Bloom of Love is the latest book in the fabulous Long Valley series. It can be read as a stand-alone as each book is an individual story but each book is interconnected to the others with recurring characters.
Florist Carla is curvy, insecure, totally obsessed with The Princess Bride and convinced that love is for others but not for her. Christian has six sisters and lives in trailer where he works. He is also seriously attracted to Carla.
This is a very good book with wonderful characters. Erin Wright tackles several important issues throughout the book with care and honesty. There is one thing that seriously bugged me about this book .. the Princess Bride quotes at the start of every chapter, the constant Princess Bride references, the Princess Bride overload. I have never seen this film and now I never will .. it bugged me that much. However the book still deserves a five star rating as it is a great read and I enjoyed it (Princess Bride excluded).

April 6, 2021
Such a sweet story

I waited a long time for this one but was worth the wait as anything by this author is a treat. Christian and Carla are to lonely, lovely, somewhat awkward people, both looking for love. Both looking for their place in life, and seem to practically stumble into each other to get the other to notice them. They don’t think they are good enough for the other. It takes time for Carla,the florist, and Christian the ranch foreman to get the party started! Lol she is white. He is Mexican. It really doesn’t matter throughout the whole story until Christians uncle shows his racist side. However, their love is strong and although they have other obstacles to get past, they realize as long as they have each other, that’s all they need. A sweet, beautiful story. I can’t wait for the next one.
1,470 reviews6 followers
April 12, 2021
I have enjoyed all the books in this series. I think what I enjoy most is that all 9f Erin Wright's characters are so relatable and likeable.
Christian is 38 and the oldest of 7 children - the only boy. His family is very important to him. He has given up on finding "the one" and is just doing his job and taking care of his family.
Carla wants to find the right guy but she is sure that with her physique not many will look at her. She loves her flower shop and keeps the secrets of the small town.
These two meet and the attraction is there but neither can believe the other would like them.
This is a sweet romance that blossoms into so much more. As the characters are older their drama is limited, though the family dies add a little.
It was great to see how characters from her other books were doing.
Profile Image for Marie.
2,576 reviews21 followers
Whoa!

Bless Christian, all he wants is to keep the women in his life happy...but with a Mama and six, yes six, sisters that is a LOT before he begins to think about Carla. You would think growing up with that many sisters he would be confident around women, but Carla is too important, too special and she makes him nervous...which just melts your heart. Really! Just hand it over to him now! He is packed with self doubt, convinced she is too good for him, when all Carla really wants is....him!
A sweet addition to the Long Valley series, a number of taboo subjects faced here...racial slurs, weight issues, infertility, cultural differences...but they are all handled with respect keeping this as a sweet romance.
861 reviews4 followers
March 31, 2021
Much anticipated and very much enjoyed I think Carla and Christian are my new favorite couple.

Christian has been trying to figure out how to ask Carla out for many months but was afraid he was out of her league. Carla had a crush on Christian in high school and kinda still does but feels she is out of his league. They finally start dating and their first time having sex is unplanned on a hiking trip and she ends up pregnant but doesn't realize it for several months. Will Christian stay with her because of the baby or because he really loves her? How will Christian feel about having a baby now? How will his family react? Will they be able to make it work?
1,509 reviews5 followers
April 1, 2021
When I started this series I didn’t think small town tales would be so engrossing, but these everyday people dealing with normal problems just draw me in. Carla is funny, and sweet, and loves her friends and hometown. Christian is a sweetheart, he is close to his family otherwise he just spends nearly all of his time at work. I was totally taken with his naïveté when it comes to women, but on the farm he is a master of his domain. Even though this story stands alone, it was good to see characters from previous books for those of us who have followed the series. Great read!

Profile Image for Julie.
296 reviews3 followers
April 3, 2021
I really enjoyed reading this book about Carla and Christian. Carla is the local florist, who knows what is happening in the town. Christian is a foreman for Stetson Miller. He has liked Carla for a while and visa versa. Christian eventually plucks up the courage to ask Carla out. It's a magical evening involving her favourite film. They fall in love and start making plans for the future. They want to find a place to live together but money is tight. Eventually they manage to get the happily ever after they both deserve.

Profile Image for Gwen Smith-leak.
215 reviews2 followers
April 7, 2021
Christian meet Carla at her flower shop . She think it odd that he was buying the flowers for his sister. The story take off from there . Christian and Carla find each other’s after being alone for so long they are not sure they are good enough for the other. Carla knew she had some meat on her bones and was glad that Christian thought she was beautiful .It was easy when they met her parents but it was a show when she met his parents . He got her out of there and there relationship blossom from there.

639 reviews
Wonderful love story

Carla is a curvy girl and obsessed with Princess Bride movie. Christian is a ranch foreman who is entranced with Carla the first time he sees her. He hasn't dated a lot and has his boss's wife help him out with ideas for dates with Carla. Both of them are ashamed of where they live and think the other one is out of their league. They both have insecurities to overcome and trust each other. I liked the quotes from The Princess Bride and how Carla and Christian's relationship develops. This book was well worth the wait and I'm looking forward to the next book that was teased at the end of this book. Erin Wright is a fantastic writer!
3,767 reviews7 followers
April 13, 2021
As you wish...

I think this is one of my favorite books in this series. Why? It’s an ode to The Princess Bride set in the realistic, contemporary Long Valley series.

Christian Palacios has a lot (like a lot) of younger sisters. In order to see Carla again, he volunteers to order the flowers at her shop.

Carla and Christian went to high school together and I liked that they were real people-aged at 37 and 38 (thank you!).
They both don’t date, are still single and they both think the other is out of their league. Oh, with a liberal sprinkling of Princess Bride thrown in (but no RUS’s).

Highly recommend.
707 reviews
April 20, 2021
Each of the Long Valley books have been great, but this one had me rooting for Carla, the owner of Happy Petals flower shop and Christian, a ranch foreman. She's not the typical skinny woman men are usually attracted to, but very shy Christian is drawn to this outgoing, curvy woman. He even needs help figuring out their first date and the two of them each think they're not good enough for the other. However, after a few awkward starts, their relationship develops and it's a very sweet and loving story that I enjoyed very much. Erin tells this story with such honesty and respect. I truly love her writing and heartily recommend this entire series!
2 reviews1 follower
March 31, 2021
To say that I enjoyed this book is a HUGE understatement! I’ve read all of The Long Valley books, and each becomes my new “favorite”! This one is no exception, but this one touched my heart a little differently. Bloom of Love is a refreshing story to read. Christian and Carla have their own obstacles to overcome. They aren’t the normal boy/girl issues. Prepare to be “WOWWED”!
As an aside, Bloom reminded me how much I truly enjoyed The Princess Bride movie! I’m going to be watching often!!

Profile Image for Lady M..
927 reviews2 followers
April 2, 2021
I could probably have given this 5 stars if I had ever seen the Princess Bride, but I haven't, so I know I missed a lot. I did enjoy the story, just probably not to the fullest. I loved that both Carla and Christian thought the other was out of their league. It made for some cute internal dialog! There are a lot of appearances and references to other characters that have had their own stories, which was nice, plus some set up of more stories to come. I just hope there's more of Carla and Christian in the works too
Profile Image for Marichus Real.
2,134 reviews11 followers
April 7, 2021
Carla has lost every hope of getting married, so, instead, she tries to help other people, mostly through her dear flowers.
Christian is nearly forty and he has already abandoned the idea of getting married, that is until he found the love of his life.
One of the sweetest books by Erin Wright. Carla and Christian are so different that it is difficult to think of them as an item, but, in truth, they want the same: a family of their own and together of course.
Well-written, sweet, funny and easy-to-read.
I received a copy of this book and I am voluntarily leaving a review.
1,083 reviews3 followers
April 9, 2021
Don't judge by the cover

Carla, a BBW, and 37 years old, feels like she's fat and on the shelf. Who'd want that, when a handsome cowboy like Christian, could have his pick of any young skinny women he'd want? Christian is shy, single, and nearly 40 and wonders who'd want a poor farm hand with no home of his own. They both have to learn to look beyond their own cover and realize that the other had already looked beneath. No cheating or cliffhanger and you get a happy ever after. This is a sweet romance. Enjoy 🤓
Profile Image for Nati.
1,969 reviews10 followers
April 2, 2021
Carla is a caring person but she is 37, single and only wants to find the love of her life like I her favourite movie The Princess Bride. Christian is a hard working man, the older brother of six sisters, and he is used to women but seems unable to find his soulmate. Can these two wonderful people find each other and have their own happily ever after? Sweet love story

2,954 reviews22 followers
April 8, 2021
Bloom of Love is an entertaining, opposites attract, romance. Both Carla and Christian are nearing forty, wanta love and a family and are embarrassed by where they live. But their temperaments are really opposite - bubbly extrovert meets stoic introvert. Their twisty path to an HEA is what captured and held my interest. Carla truly takes florist/client confidentiality to heart as she creates beautiful bouquets for many of the reader's friends in Long Valley. I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
Profile Image for TRICIA.
2,165 reviews10 followers
April 10, 2021
I’ve read all of The Long Valley books, and with each new one I think this is the best yet, this one is no exception. I loved that the characters in this book are older, Christian and Carla are well-drawn, interesting and each of them have issues but their story touched my heart. It's a well-written refreshing story about how Christian and Carla strive to overcome their own obstacles and make a future together.
1,172 reviews2 followers
March 31, 2021
It has definitely been awhile since visiting Long Valley. Carla and Christian made quite a pair. Carla was sweet and kind in spite of some self confidence issues. Christian struggles with helping his sister and trying to work to improve his situation. With support of friends and family, they could have a sweet and fulfilling future. I received this arc for an honest review.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
1,819 reviews4 followers
April 2, 2021
I was sucked in from the start and yes I stayed up to finish it. I love this quirky town with its deep love stories. These two have a lot going against them; race, finances, and self doubt but it’s a joy to see friends help them out. Don’t miss out on a truly enriching experience.

Profile Image for Vivian Chrisman.
2,735 reviews4 followers
Bloom of Love

Carla's story is one that I have waited for. She's been the faithful friend to many in Sawyer. Her flower shop, Happy Petals, has provided many with their flower needs. The man for her had to be someone very special. Christian definitely fit the bill.

446 reviews1 follower
April 10, 2021
Carla and Christian’s story was exceptional and unique. They really didn’t have the typical boy/girl issues. They both struggled with self doubt and low self esteem. Christian worshipped the ground that Carla walked on and it was so endearing. I enjoyed reading their story and this one really hit home for me. I love this author’s work and the stories are amazing.
2,285 reviews7 followers
April 11, 2021
In this opposites attract romance both Carla and Christian have insecurities they need to get over. The storyline was sweet and the characters are sweet together. Carla is thirty seven and Christian is almost forty, both are hard working and not married. They do have some obstacles to work through but they do get their HEA ending.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 42 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.