Start by marking “The Message in the Haunted Mansion (Nancy Drew, #122)” as Want to Read:
The Message in the Haunted Mansion (Nancy Drew, #122)

The Message in the Haunted Mansion

(Nancy Drew Mystery Stories #122)

When Nancy, Bess, George, and Nancy's housekeeper, Hannah Gruen, travel to San Francisco to help Hannah's friend renovate a charming old Victorian mansion, they encounter possible ghosts, a legend of hidden gold--and greed.
Published May 22nd 2001 by Minstrel (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Message in the Haunted Mansion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Message in the Haunted Mansion

Start your review of The Message in the Haunted Mansion (Nancy Drew, #122)
Eric Wood
An average ND book. Since I played the game based on this book though, I pretty much knew what was going to happen and who the culprit is, which reduced my enjoyment. However, the book has more details and characters than the game and I enjoyed that. But the plot is a bit slow at times. There were also a lot of luck and coincidences that helped Nancy solve the mystery(Like I was a bit annoyed when the girls kept accidentally discovering secret hiding places or secret rooms and people dropping cl ...more
Hannah
Reliving childhood memories
Amber
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.75
Nancy Drew was part of my childhood, yet I had never read this one. I had played the Her Interactive game of it though, and I got curious to see how it differed from the original storyline. As usual, there are several characters that are removed from the plot line while other characters become much different from their book descriptions. In this case, they were justified changes to fit the tone of the first person game.
The book still contains that sweet innocence Nancy Drew always meant to me, a
Sarah Crawford
Apr 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nancy, her friends and Hannah take a trip to San Francisco to help a friend of Hannah's fix up an old mansion. It's an old Victorian-style place that needs a fair amount of work. Things would go much better, though, if accidents weren't happening frequently, including glass falling, a chandelier falling and a fire.

Then there's a mysterious young boy, missing food, and the legend of a woman who ran away with a bandit. Related to that is the legend of hidden gold. A lot of it.

There's also a neat s
Miri
Feb 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Nancy, Bess, George and Hannah are visiting a friend of Hannah's, Rose, who along with her niece Abby are renovating an old Victorian Mansion, to turn it into a bed and breakfast, but their plans are continually delayed by accidents. Falling windows, broken Chandeliers, fires, floods, disaster after disaster seems to be plaguing their every move. Is this the work of an unhappy spirit, or is there a flesh and blood culprit with a hidden motive to stop the mansion from becoming an inn? It's up to ...more
Linda
Aug 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
This later Nancy Drew book was actually quite good and was an enjoyable quick read. It was reminiscent of the old Nancy Drew mysteries. Nancy and her friends accompany housekeeper Hannah to San Francisco where a friend of Hannah's is renovating an old Victorian mansion into a bed and breakfast. Someone doesn't want them there and someone wants the project to fail. Accidents keep occurring and they get more and more dangerous. There's a lot of San Francisco atmosphere in this book and the mystery ...more
LuAnn
Dec 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Reread this after completing the computer game of the same name. Book translated well to the game. Another solid later Nancy Drew Mystery with a fun San Francisco Victorian house setting and some history thrown in.
Manal
Aug 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
this was susch an amazing book
Sarra Martin
Mar 05, 2010 marked it as to-read
I used to have the computer game for this (not sure if I still do) and I never knew this had a book! Is it worth reading?
Ashleigh
May 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Read to compare it to the Her Interactive game. I assume they combined Tim and Charlie--resulting in a young Charlie. Someone knows their demographic...
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
I read every single one of these growing up--I thought she was the bees knees
Shannon
Ola
Jun 16, 2011
W
Feb 05, 2015

• The River of Adventure (Adventure, #8)
  • The Mountain of Adventure (Adventure, #5)
  • The Circus of Adventure (Adventure, #7)
  • The Ship of Adventure (Adventure, #6)
  • The Island of Adventure (Adventure, #1)
  • The Valley of Adventure (Adventure, #3)
  • The Sea of Adventure (Adventure, #4)
  • The Castle of Adventure (Adventure, #2)
  • Golden in Death (In Death, #50)
  • Kristy in Charge (The Baby-Sitters Club, #122)
  • The Getaway
  • The Spy in the Bleachers (The Boxcar Children, #122)
  • Sweeter With You (Fool's Gold, #12.2)
  • HOT Witness (Hostile Operations Team, #9.5; The MacKenzie Family, #12.2)
  • The Wedding Tamasha
  • The Holiday Affair (An Indian Movie Star Romance)
  • Welcome Back, Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #28)
  • Boy-Crazy Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #8)

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str

Nancy Drew Mystery Stories (1 - 10 of 175 books)
  • The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #1)
  • The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories #2)
  • The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #3)
  • The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #4)
  • The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #5)
  • The Secret of Red Gate Farm (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #6)
  • The Clue in the Diary (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #7)
  • Nancy's Mysterious Letter (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #8)
  • The Sign of the Twisted Candles (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #9)
  • Password to Larkspur Lane (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #10)