Start by marking “The Snow Gypsy” as Want to Read:

The Snow Gypsy

From the bestselling author of The Woman on the Orient Express comes a haunting novel of two women—one determined to uncover the past and the other determined to escape it.

At the close of World War II, London is in ruins and Rose Daniel isn’t at peace. Eight years ago, her brother disappeared while fighting alongside Gypsy partisans in Spain. From his letters, Rose has j

Published February 1st 2019 by Lake Union Publishing

Katie B
I chose this book as my second free pick for January's Amazon First Reads because I was interested in reading a historical fiction novel that takes place in Spain after World War 2. The Spanish Civil War is also a subject addressed in the book and not knowing much about it was another reason I thought this would be a good fit for me. I love it when a book gives me the opportunity to learn something new but unfortunately the characters in this one really dragged the story down and I ended up feel ...more
The Just-About-Cocky Ms M
Not too many months ago I watched as an excellent First Read book become a punching bag for a distressing number of folks. This unfortunate event, which is still continuing but with less and less shrill invective, centers not on the book itself, its plot, characters, writing style, or other legitimate elements of storytelling but on three sentences in the Author’s Notes at the end wherein she wrote that the apparent unchallenged and acceptable resurgence of white supremacy in the US served as on ...more
Cindy
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books
I had the privilege of making The Snow Gypsy by Lindsay Jayne Ashford my first read for 2019, and way to start with a bang! Excellent book!!

This story follows English veterinarian Rose Daniel on her journey through France and Spain on a quest to finally solve the mystery of her brother's disappearance. The last letter she received from him in 1938 spoke of the need to escape from the little mountain village in southern Spain, and then not another word.

The beautiful scenery, endearing character
Mackenzie Bekker
Jan 14, 2019 rated it liked it
I thought this book has a great story at its core but execution and details could have been better. I really liked reading about this time period and I found myself very interested in the descriptions of gypsy life. However, I didn't like that there were some side stories of the plot that didn't necessarily lead anywhere, which was pretty frustrating; by the end, it felt like parts were missing to tie up some of the loose ends that had been created. The characters were pretty well developed and ...more
Kathy
Feb 08, 2019 rated it liked it
First time reading this author. I believe I have just read her most recent book, this historical fiction that covers several themes. There is the Spanish landscape to enjoy, detailed artistically, the after effects of World War II for family members searching for answers for their dead, women coping with pregnancy outside of marriage, herbal remedies learned from Gypsy communities, Flamenco dancing and a whole lot of nasty men who behave badly along with a God who is hard to trust.
Honestly, thi
Mycah
Jan 08, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I gave it a go. Really, I read the first 100 pages. A third of the book. It's just not great. I got it as a Kindle first read. I thought the synopsis sounded intriguing. I'm so glad I didn't pay for this book. The author spends the bulk of her writing giving ornate detail to everything- the region, churches, animals, clothing. However, she never builds on her characters. Rose falls flat for me. I kept waiting for her to become this modern, independent woman. Instead, as soon as she arrives to a ...more
Katie Wechtler
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Blah- This book didn't really do anything for me. At first, it felt like a YA title as there was kind of a lack of depth in the main character's development. She just didn't feel authentic to the historical setting. As the book progressed, she grew whiney. The plot twists were a bit unrealistic and the ending too tidy. This was a free download, and it kept me reading until the end only because I hate having unfinished plotlines, but this is one I would have rather skipped.
Angel
Jan 15, 2019 rated it liked it
The Snow Gypsy follows the intertwining stories of two women, Rose Daniel and Lola Aragon. Rose is living in London as a veterinarian during the aftermath of World War 2. In the years of the war, her brother Nathan joined the fight. But the last letter Rose received from him was eight years ago. Now she is determined to find her brother and get the answers to the question that’s been nagging her for years: what happened?

Lola is a young flamenco dancer who also lost her family in the war. As a gy
Mandy
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’ve read several historical fiction novels that take place during this time period, but this was my first time reading one about the Spanish Civil War. Although a work of fiction, The Snow Gypsy was inspired by a real person (an herbalist) and some of her life experiences. We read through the eyes of Lola and Rose - two different yet connected women.

I thought this novel was beautifully written...almost poetic at times. Heartbreaking and hopeful I found it hard to put down despite its slow pace
Bonnye Reed
GNAB This is an exciting story, told very well. We see Spain and her people through the eyes of Rose Daniel, a Jewish English woman borne of a Turkish father and French mother. Rose and her Afghan hound Gunesh spend time in 1936 in and around a gypsy encampment near her home in England, picking up a bit of the language and beginning to understand the lifestyle of the gypsy clans who traveled through her homeland. Separated by prep schooling and her higher education, a degree in Veterinary Medici ...more
Joan Bannan
Feb 12, 2019 rated it liked it
I've been contemplating how to write this review for the past eighteen hours or so. I hate to say anything negative, but I really appreciate my Goodreads friends and their honest reviews. Overall, I liked it, but didn't love it. I believe others may give it more than my paltry three stars.

What I liked: It's a good story. I can't say I fell in love with any of the characters, but I was rooting for them and would have never abandoned them by not finishing the book. I liked learning more about the
Debbi
Jan 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars for not being predictable and for having some unique characters.
Kylie Corley
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There aren't enough words to describe just how much I love this book. It captivated me from the very beginning! The cover is gorgeously captivating. The author brought the book to life with her words and vivid descriptions. This is definitely a book I'll recommend and re-read.
Good luck 2019 releases surpassing this as one of my favorite reads of the year.
Judi Easley
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: readers of historical fiction who like strong female characters
Recommended to Judi by: Kindle Unnlimited

Lindsay Jayne Ashford

Lake Union Publishing, Feb 2019

332 pages, ebook, hardcover, paperback, audible book

Women’s Lit, Historic Cultural Fiction

✮✮✮✮✮

The cover is very nice with its vivid picture of Lola dressed for the dance against the backdrop of Granada. It captures her intense inward focus while she’s dancing. And it matches the description of the costume in the book.

The story is complex and interesting. One young woman is searching for something. And the other young woman is run
Carla Suto
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
THE SNOW GYPSY by Lindsay Jayne Ashford is a well-written and moving story of two strong women who lives become inextricably intertwined in post-World War II Spain. Rose Daniel is a veterinarian of Jewish descent who travels from London first to France and then to mountain villages of Spain hoping to learn the fate of her brother, Nathan who was last heard from eight years earlier in 1938 where he was fighting alongside Gypsy partisans in the Spanish Civil War. She has only his last letter and a ...more
Hillary
The most interesting part of this book is the afterward, in which the author tells the story of the real woman who inspired this novel. Don't miss it.

I'm always up for a novel set in a locale I don't know. This book made Spain look particularly enticing (that is, the natural world, not the politics of the time). That said, there was an awful lot of description in the book. It was lovely, but just a lot of it.

In fact, the whole story leaves me a bit perplexed. I'm not sure about the plot--it mean
Cindy Woods
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Heart-wrenching!

This is an amazing story of a young English woman on a journey to find her brother in post-WAR Spain. All she has to go on is the last letter she received from him eight years previous. He had been a Republican partisan fighting fascism in the mountains and small villages of Andalusia where he wrote of falling in love with a local girl who was pregnant with their child.

Rose is determined to find out where her brother Nathan is, dead or alive, and having lived with gypsies in the
Christine
The Snow Gypsy has an intriguing historical backdrop. The novel draws inspiration from the life of a British-born herbalist and author who lived with gypsies and spent time in the Alpujarras region of Spain post-WWII. I can readily imagine that the source material was fascinating and fulfilling for the author to explore and weave into a work of fiction.

It's the writing that prevents the book from being great. The prose is subdued and lacks energy. It fails to elevate the moments of action and s
Jennet Sechrist
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Krista
Jan 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Free book on amazon

I received this book free from Amazon in the month of January. It was a good book in grabbing your attention to find out the mystery behind her brother. But many of the Spanish lingo was difficult to follow. The book ended quickly which seemed different from the rest of the detailed beginning and middle.
David Canford
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An absorbing and entertaining novel about flamenco, the Romany culture, Andalucia and the aftermath of the Spanish civil war. You really get a sense of place, though not really of the abject poverty of rural Spain at the time which comes across so strongly in Laurie Lee’s brilliant autobiographical account 'As I walked out one midsummer morning'. It is perhaps a little unfair that the main female characters come across as so loving and caring and the two male ones as philanderers or evil! And th ...more
Julier
Set in the aftermath of WWII and the repercussions from the horrible thing people in Spain did to each other when they chose to side with the fascist Nazis or with the local resistance. Similar to civil wars, after the war is over both sides have to go back to living side-by-side. This book had the feel of a young adult book because I didn't feel I had an in-depth understanding of this historical time and place. It was interesting that being a Gypsy didn't have the negative implications it often ...more
Laurie Buchanan
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm so glad I make a point of reading book acknowledgments first. In the case of THE SNOW GYPSY by Lindsay Jayne Ashford, I learned about the real-life people and events that portions of this excellent fiction novel are based on. That knowledge served to increase my reading enjoyment. I highly recommend this book.
Sharon Robidoux
Interesting learning re the gypsy culture and the Spanish Civil War. I will consider reading her other works. Some folks did not like her descriptive detail -thinking it was too much. I liked the detail. You could imagine yourself there..
Heidi
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was a slog. There were good parts but they were few and far between and the end was abrupt and didn't fit with the rest of the narrative. It rambled and lacked a unifying theme. I felt like it was rambling around and unsure of what it really wanted to be.
Suellen
Kindle Unlimited - January 2019
Paula Golden
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very good read

I read this in one day. A bit long in descriptions of the country side, but with several unexpected turns, just could put it down.
Leslie
4.5 stars - riveting story! This was an era of history with which i was unfamiliar, so it was a particularly fascinating story. Well-developed characters - and not so many of them that I couldn't keep them straight.
Debra
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: foodie-reads
Ashford weaves a tale of heartache, set in the aftermath of the Spanish Civil War and WWII. Strong women prevail in the characters of Rose, Lola, and Nieve.

There's lots of food mentioned in the novel and lots of herbal remedies. Ashford based Rose's character on a real life herbalist.

If you like historical fiction, pick this one up.

Dee
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
A wonderful stoner of survival.

Couldn't put this book down. I have not read a WWII book that involves Spain. What a devastating war. How could one or two men accomplish such devastation to so many lives across the world. Once again we read of strong women who rise above insurmountable odds. I was able to find a gentle sweetness in this story of survival, loss and love. How it makes me hope the children of our lifetime will never have to endure the ravages of another world war.
Same author publishes as Lindsay Ashford.
  • What the Wind Knows
  • Where the Forest Meets the Stars
  • Smoke & Summons (Numina Trilogy #1)
  • The Victory Garden
  • Beyond the Ashes (Golden Gate Chronicles #2)
  • Rock Needs River: A Memoir About a Very Open Adoption
  • The Beantown Girls
  • The Parisians
  • The Road Beyond Ruin
  • City of Light (City of Mystery, #2)
  • The Broken Circle: A Memoir of Escaping Afghanistan
  • Archie 1000 Page Comics Celebration (Archie 1000 Page Digests)
  • The Promise
  • Shades of Wrath (Caprice De Luca Mystery #6)
  • The Flight Portfolio
  • Massive: Gay Erotic Manga and the Men Who Make It
  • The Lines We Leave Behind
  • The Forgotten Hours
“Don’t be afraid of what you don’t know. That kind of fear kills you without you realizing. Like bleeding inside.” 1 likes
“fingers” 0 likes