Start by marking “Salt for Air (Salt for Air #1)” as Want to Read:
Salt for Air (Salt for Air #1)

Salt for Air

(Salt for Air #1)

Greek mythology meets The Little Mermaid in this delicious fantasy novel about a quiet, nerdy girl who meets a mer prince in her bathroom. Perfect for fans of The Heroes of Olympus and the Lux series.

Seventeen-year-old Ellie dreams of mermen. She writes fanfiction about them and spends time in underwater kingdoms in her imagination, trying to escape the sad reality: sh
Published October 23rd 2018

To ask other readers questions about Salt for Air, please sign up.
M.C. It is! Salt for Air is a complete story. I am planning a few companion novels set in the same world and I hope to write and publish them soon, but SFA…moreIt is! Salt for Air is a complete story. I am planning a few companion novels set in the same world and I hope to write and publish them soon, but SFA is a complete story in itself.(less)

Start your review of Salt for Air (Salt for Air #1)
Chelsea Humphrey
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you're looking for an indie author to support who consistently produces quality stories, let me introduce you to M.C. Frank. Her stories are complex, timely, and carry a natural prose that is both easy to understand and beautifully arranged. After reading her No Ordinary Star series last year, I knew I'd want to get my grabby hands on whatever she put out next, and when she announced that Salt For Air would feature a Little Mermaid retelling of sorts, I was practically drooling. Her cover art ...more
Jenna Bookish
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
My thanks to the author, M. C. Frank for sending me an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

description

Writing negative reviews for indie authors is painful. I truly went into this book with an open mind; I read a sample of the first few chapters before receiving an ARC, and I thought the story had a lot of promise. Ellie, the protagonist is a really sympathetic character. She's somewhat of an outsider at school and is mourning the death of her father when the story o
Yesha- Books Teacup and Reviews
You can read all my review on Blog - Books Teacup and Reviews

Salt for Air was mixture of urban fantasy, Greek mythology and Little Mermaid retelling that revolved around not-so-exciting Ellie’s real life and her exciting action packed fanfic world that drastically turned into real life fairy tale. The book features loss, sadness, surviving the world of bullies, betrayal, love, and finding your inner truer and stronger self.

“This is a story of sadness. Of death, of loss and of going slightly mad
Lauren
This was quite the ride! If you’re looking for a lovely tale of mermaids and wars that could destroy the earth, then this is the book for you!

M.C. Frank is such a fantastic writer and has a great way of drawing you into the story and making you love the characters. I loved the fact that Ellie was a fanfiction writer and that that was her escape. I could totally relate to that side of her, having spent the majority of high school and college doing just that. She was so relatable and so strong.

The
Jamie (the_reading_pup)
I was given a free PDF ARC by the author in exchange for an honest review

I'm sad to say this... but this book was just not my cup of tea. I adore Greek mythology and mermaids/sirens, so I'm really sad that this fell flat for me because it had such potential.

The plot really was super interesting, but the writing style of it just wasn't for me. It was written like a fanfiction. The main character was constantly talking to the audience which is something I personally don't enjoy. I know some people
Kristen
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
MC Frank has done it again. This book is filled with emotion and lessons learned. You will become attached to the characters immediately. I recommend you pre-order this beauty now!!
Linda M
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it
I really wanted to like this book more, but I felt there was a lot of repetitive things. The main character continuosly pushes everyone away for reasons that don't seem like a big deal. The conflict just seems unnecessary a lot of the time. If she had only done it once, it would have made more sense. It was also quite cheesy a lot of the time. It was a light read though and I was fascinated to see how it concluded. ...more
Mairy
May 23, 2020 rated it liked it
2.5
Better narration, structure, and there is a purpose.
This author is a little bit overdramatic in many places.
I think it , umm, gives a bad description of life in Greece.
I don't think the style of this writing is my thing.
And is too fasted, I don't have the time to consider so many images, thoughts, and opinions of this character. It jumps from here to there.
I will stop reading this excerpt. Gave me a headache.
Incorrigible_bibliophile
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Salt for Air is a love letter to anyone who has felt alone, different or hopeless. It is a beautifully wrought story that lets the reader escape from reality and join Ellie on her adventure to self-discovery.
Darque  Dreamer
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Salt For Air is full of beauty and grace. It is swimming with fantasy, emotion, and excitement. For those who love faerietale-esque stories with all the feels, this will be your new favorite read!

I found this one to be absolutely STUNNING! It has been a very long time since a book has made me feel this deeply. M.C Frank has captured my heart and soul with Salt for Air.

First of all, the writing was enchanting. It was vivid, elegant, and flowed beautifully from page to page. It captured my imagina
Prachi Pati
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Now, I haven't read either 'Heroes of Olympus' or the 'Lux' series, so I can't say I picked up this book because I was a fan of either of these series. I bought this book because I had really enjoyed M.C. Frank's No Ordinary Star trilogy and because I really admire a self made author who puts in so much love, research and effort into her work.

What I loved about the book:

This is not a love story, and yet a love story. But more importantly, this is a story about surviving bullies, about surviving
Claudia
First of all, I want to make clear that I'm not the typical target reader of this kind of YA/paranormal/fantasy books, so my honest review could be affected by that.
I'm much older than the author, I guess, but on a positive note I'm an aspiring writer myself and YA and NA romance/paranormal/fantasy stories are what I would like to explore for my own writing and it's what I like the most to read, so...this is my premise.

Second, I want to list the good points of this story and the main reasons I'v
Claire P
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
A touching story that reminds you that loneliness need not be permanent.

This story is filled with emotion, it sucks you in from the first page and keeps you hooked - no pun intended - to the very last page. There are twists and turns around every corner, which make this an exciting, fast-paced read.
I really appreciate the message the author shares through this book. Ellie is such a wonderful protagonist and narrator, she is witty and brave and yes, she has been hurt and has suffered a lot, but
Tasha
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Salt for air is another amazing book by the amazing M.C Frank, all of her books have sucked me into a whole other world. If you want to read a book that will not disappoint you , I highly suggest picking up one of her books today! Salt for air is all about Greek mythology and mermaids with an amazing romance to go with it. As always M.C Frank magically blends the real world with the fantasy and makes it feel so real and amazing.
The story is filled with emotions and has all different twists comi
Megan
May 06, 2019 rated it liked it
I received this book as an ARC in exchange for an honest review. I thought this book was overall a decent, easy read. The reason I only gave it 3 stars was because I found it to be a little juvenile. It almost seemed like the fanfiction that was such a big part of the story, with a quick, fierce love but next to no explanation of important things (like how they went from enemies to in love, not a lot of explanation of the Kingdom or the war that is being waged, or where the soldiers end up after ...more
Janella Abdulsani Strong
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Best ever retelling book! A genius twist of Little Mermaid meets Greek Mythology

Disclaimer: I received an ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review. This doesn't affect my opinion/s of the book just because the author asked me to review her book. ✌🏼
Bullying, I have a mild experience of bullying in Elementary and High School. The taunting, teasing, the backstabbing friends. I discovered my true friends in high school that totally sticked to me in the end.
I didn't experienced the har
Amber Hodges
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a book that i am having trouble coming up with words to say what i feel. I struggled in the beginning with it until the characters sucked me, then after that, there was no stopping me. At work when i was forced to put the book down i was still reliving the scenes in my head.

I took off a star mainly for the shaky beginning and for some of Ellie's moments of me wanting to shake her. she goes through a lot but dang, i wanted her to open her eyes sooner. I still loved her and all her nerdy
Malorie [BookDragon~TrashPanda]
There were glimpses of good parts that were interesting but most of this book is the teenage ramblings of an extremely sad girl but that may not be such a bad thing. Salt for Air tackles tough subjects such as loss and bullying. The reader sees the main character Ellie find herself and transform into her true self because of it which I think is a good lesson to teenagers going through the same thing.

Reading this as an adult I see Twighlight with mermaids instead of vampires with a war against e
Megan
I was initially open minded about this book. I hadn't read the reviews before I chose to read this and really the first 30% I was enjoying it enough to think hmm this isn't so bad and then the twist came and I felt a bit confused.
This book is 100% depressing.
It felt very doom and gloom, unnecessarily gloomy. I won't be rushing to read this book again ever.

My reasoning if I didn't like this to give it 2 stars because of the bullying aspect. Its very realistic, that kids pick on others for no rea
Kathy Wortham
Jan 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
So many layers to this book and they all work. This is easily classifies as young fiction. No sex, no harsh language. It dealt especially well with bullies and how to handle yourself around them. The other issues addressed were Love, Loss, and Friendship. The development of the characters had new treatment so was not ho-hum. There were several twists toward the end, more than normal and the only spoiler was the character announcing them. Otherwise this was a strong feel good story, the best I've ...more
Lois (thecarrotstories)
For retelling and Greek mythology lovers, this is a book about a girl meeting a mer prince in her bathroom. I know it's weird but it is true!! Want to know more? Read it.

The best part I liked about this story is the message about bullying and how it affects a person. It was very powerful and covered quite a lot of bases.

I, however, found some parts of the story a little confusing because I did not understand how the story was connecting from one part to the other. But it was still okay because o
Niki Fae
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you always wanted to be Ariel...

READ THIS BOOK!!! This was a very cool totally unique storyline for those of us who always wanted to be a mermaid. I love the depth this writer takes us to, with topics as bullying and death and finding who we are as individuals. Great read without a doubt.
Roxy
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So powerful

I really wish i could put into words how great this book is. It gives you so much to think about. From everyday struggles to fantastical battles... it is really great story.
Jessica
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I honestly enjoyed this book! I’ve been into the mermaid type books lately and this hit the spot. It has mermaids, mythology, love, sacrifice, and learning to believe in yourself! I highly recommend!
Lara
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Unique and beautiful

Please read it. You won’t be sorry. The details are what make this story so special. It could change your world view and I think that’s amazing.
Shiloh
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely mesmerizing

This entire book was incredible. Definitely a story no fantasy liver should miss. I hope there will be lots more about Ky and Ellie.
Diya
Nov 25, 2019 added it
Amazing! Don't have a word to describe it. ...more
Dolly Kalasin
May 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great read

Wow an amazing read!!
It's so raw and emotional yet well thought out and real. So brilliant and enjoyable. Hope there is more to this world
« previous 1 3 next »

• Bathsheba: Reluctant Beauty (Dangerous Beauty, #2)
  • Delilah: Treacherous Beauty (Dangerous Beauty, #3)
  • Esther: Royal Beauty (Dangerous Beauty, #1)
  • Magic Within (Bloodline Academy, #1)
  • Sacrificed to the Dragon (Stonefire Dragons, #1)
  • Too Wyrd (Runespells, #1)
  • Magical Midlife Madness (Leveling Up #1)
  • The Alien's Ransom (Drixonian Warrior, #1)
  • Vork (Mail-Order Brides of Crakair, #1)
  • Tiger Haven
  • Riv's Sanctuary (Riv’s Sanctuary, #1)
  • Her Alien Prince (Voxeran Fated Mates, #1)
  • Other (Other, #1)
  • The Den
  • The Merman's Kiss (Mates for Monsters, #1)
  • Witch of an Ex (Witch Reborn Book 4)
  • The Mesmerist (The Hope Chest #1)
  • Witch of a Godmother (Witch Reborn Book 1)
Welcome to the engrossing world of M.C. FRANK's books, where characters aren't going to have an easy time of it: They will find themselves in icy-cold dystopian worlds where kissing is forbidden (among other things), or in green forests ruled by evil Sheriffs. If they're in Jane Austen's England, they have to be running away from a traumatic childhood, or if they are in our contemporary world, th ...more