Start by marking “An American Family (#1)” as Want to Read:
An American Family (#1)

An American Family (#1)

Isaac Childs has the perfect life—until that life comes crashing down when his wife Ramie vanishes.

Isaac learns that his wife's disappearance is the ninth in a string of similar cases. In the wake of this news, he struggles to cope, to be a good father to his daughter and college-bound son, and to reclaim something of an ordinary life even as he conceals his troubled past.
Paperback, 1st, 182 pages
Published October 1st 2018 by Evolved Publishing

To ask other readers questions about An American Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An American Family

Start your review of An American Family (#1)
Jennifer (bunnyreads)
I don’t know why I like these stories about missing persons and the fear and heartache that goes with coping with this sort of tragedy. Nine time out of ten if I go out of my normal reading genres, I choose something like this book. This one was a bit different I was expecting more of a thriller type of story like Gone Girl (movie- I haven’t read the book) but this was very drama and character heavy. Like I could imagine the writers of This is Us doing if they went the missing persons route.

This
Alicia
Aug 27, 2018 rated it liked it
“An American Family” (#1) by Jackson Baer

I did not know what to expect from this novel or the author. I had never read his previous work, but I was taken by the description of the book and figured I would give it a go.

I liked the characters. They are all so flawed and yet still have qualities about each of them the reader could relate to. The storyline was interesting, although it seems to jump around a lot as versus letting the situations really play out both to strengthen the novel and the
Jessica
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
All my reviews can be found at: http://jessicasreadingroom.com
This review will post on my site on 12/19
3.5 stars rounded up to 4 for Goodreads
~~~~
An American Family is a character driven novel with a family of imperfect people. Each character has issues, the main focus is Isaac. It was hard to like and feel for him. This family went through something terrible that no one should experience but Isaac’s faults just kept coming.

The novel is far from perfect: the writing comes off as
Jena Henry
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Crime and suspense thrillers are not my usual “go-to” genre. The author asked me to review his book, and I was intrigued by the title and the cover, so why not try something a bit darker than my usual reads?

The suspense begins on the first page of this book. Isaac Childs is waiting for his wife to come home. Many of us have endured this type of situation- peeking out the window, checking the clock, texting, as one’s mind churns from “Where is she…why couldn’t she let me know…should I call the
Tanya
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
His wife is missing and he struggles to cope with keeping his children going and his life. He is hiding secrets. His wife is decorated dead. Now what will he do? See what his secret is and if his wife is really dead

allieereads
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
How I would describe this story is a complex nature of the human experience. The beauty of Jackson Baer's writing, and by that I mean his character development, his world building and everything in between, is that he is unafraid to writewhat it means to be in reality. There is an incredible humanness to the characters, in that they are definitely not perfect and they have flaws like actual real people do. One of my pet peeves in fiction, and especially young adult fiction though current YA is ...more
Alison
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 Excellent and Compelling Stars!!!

I was given this book in tun for an honest review.

Isaac Childs has it all, the perfect life, the perfect wife, or does he? When his wife disappears, Isaac finds his life turned upside down. When opportunity arises, he chooses to move on; life is unpredictable, will Isaac’s past catch up with him, and destroy everything?

This is the first book of Jackson Baer’s I have read; I was not disappointed with this story or Jackson’s writing. He has an excellent writing
Paula Genereau
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. It was amazing and very well written.
Jenna
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I listened to the audiobook version of this book.

The author did a great job establishing the characters and the character relationships. Not only do they seem like real people, but they struggle with the same 'demons' that a great many people struggle with such as infidelity, temptation, addiction, abuse, and more. At the same time, these characters also experience some of the genuinely best parts of life such as following their dreams, love, new beginnings, success, etc. One of the best aspects
Krista Nelson
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An American Family is an addictively harrowing novel, beautifully written, entailing mystery, crime, suspense, vivid description, heartbreak, love, as well as many emotional highs and lows. It starts off quickly with an intense tragedy, and takes the reader through a thrilling tale.

The author provides dynamic character description, adding quirks (such as the dog has one eye, the attractive frugality of the main character, Isaac Childs, hobbies...) and flaws (such as addiction, lying,
Stefanie Rls
Audible Audiobook Version

– ‘The Magic Of Wor(l)ds’ blog (https://themagicofworlds.wordpress.com/) is a hobby, reviews and other bookish stuff on this site are done for free.
I’m grateful of receiving a free copy from the publisher/author in exchange for an honest review of this book. –

‘An American Family’ is my first English audiobook, so I’m not sure how to properly review one.
I believe I need to say something about the book itself and about the narrator.
Preferably separately I think, but I’m
Trey Stone
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Isaac, father of two-Carter and Olivia-has his whole life turned upside down when his wife Ramie disappears one night. The FBI conclude that the case is pretty clear: she was taken by a serial killer and they'll probably never find her body. The rest of the family find it hard to adjust, as Isaac turns to drinking and his teenage children turn to other vices, all of them trying to keep the little of family they have left, together.

This is my third Baer book, and yet again, Baer writes with
FNM
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to the author for providing me with a free copy in exchange for an honest review.

I went into this book expecting a missing person mystery type of book, which it is, what I wasn’t expecting was it to be so character driven. The story follows Issac Childs and his two children, Carter and Olivia, as they deal with the disappearance and presumed murder of their mother Ramie.

The story itself is fairly fast moving and as I mentioned it is a very character driven novel, focusing more on the
C.K. Phillips
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An American Family could be any happy family in the U.S. Sometimes bad things happen to good people. One bad event can change a family's whole existence and this happens to Ramie when she goes out one evening for her run. For the next two years, we follow Isaac as he struggles to overcome his grief and get on with his life. He creates a new life with his family only to see it explode when a shocking development concerning Ramie's disappearance emerges. I recommend this book wholeheartedly.
Barbara George
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG! This is a must read. It is so engrossing I barely was able to put it down. You won't believe the twists and ending. Tragic yet so well done it is a one of a kind read. His wife's disappearance leaves him devastated but the family slowly manages to move on only to experience surprising events that keep the reader intrigued from page one.
Shelley O'Donnell
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well thought out and written mystery that wouldn't be a mystery without the twists and turns that kept coming! I also liked that the author considered what happens when someone is presumed dead.. and how life can go on.
The characters are well formed and the family dynamics realistic. You can relate.

There is also the proverbial wrench thrown in the mix and, also, urrrrrr. a cliffhanger... so here I go to #2.

If you like a series then here you go...
Scarolet Ellis
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An American Family: A Gripping Contemporary Suspense Thriller by Jackson Baer is a wonderful story to read. This story has everything from suspenseful, crime, heartbreak, laughter to romance threw the whole story. I loved reading this story and I highly recommend this story for all who love suspens thiller stories.

Aly
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book! This book kept me wanting to read more. I enjoyed this book just as much as the other book I read from this author. I love surprises and twists and this book had it all for me. The plot was amazing and I loved the characters. What happens when your world turns upside down?*This book was given to me for free at my request and I provided this voluntary review.*
Kaili Taghon (Entertainingly Nerdy)
I really enjoyed this book. It is a little different than what I was expecting. Despite that it is a book I will reread again. This book is heavily character oriented and I'm happy about that, because it made the whole situation more believable. I would definitely recommend this book to those who like family drama and thriller type books. I'm really excited to read the next book to find out what happens!
Kaila
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
audio review

this was very interesting.. some spots was creepy.. and the narrator did an amazing job with that haha. the story was very seat of your pants gripping type of story.. very well written. the narrator captured the feelings of the story and the characters very well . i liked this a lot

Christine
Nov 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
A good book, but some issues affected my overall rating.

Full Review at: https://thelastpageturnedbookblog.blo...
Denise Brock
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Couldn't put it down ....had me wanting the sequel right there and then!!
Cheryl Hurzeler
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow!
This story has it all. The characters are so real it's hard to read about their tragedies. And boy do they have them. And yet they are able to continue with life. I'd be insane! You really need to read this amazing tale!
Edith Dunning
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved the story and how the characters had real life flaws. They was relatable to modern day issues in families. The ending left me wanting to know how the delimma is going to be resoved. I highly recommend this gripping tale.

Reviewed For TTR's Wicked Words Blog
Jocelyne
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was my first Jackson Baer's book. This is a good and gripping contemporary suspense and dramatic thriller. The story is well written. The characters and their relationships are well described. The story is filled with twists and turns. The FBI investigation is captivating. The ending is surprising and I would like to know what happens next. The narration is good. The narrator has a great male voice, but his female voice isn't my favorite. I received this free review copy audiobook at my ...more
Jen Hart
Dec 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
There are very few books that I do not finish. This is one of them. I had to give it up at 58%. Terrible amateurish writing. Choppy unnatural dialogue. Did you know that Isaac and Ramie watched crime shows? Oh you did? Probably because it was repeated 500 times. All romantic relationships were surrounded by cheesy, over the top language. It made me physically cringe. Gripping? Suspenseful? I guess if you think phrases such as, "Any chance they had they made sure to hold hands and feel their ...more
Shauna Stevenson
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What happens when tragedy strikes a seemingly perfect all-American family? When Ramie Childs goes missing, her family finds out rather quickly that secrets and lies are harder to hide, and hurt is unleashed in very different ways.

Baer did a wonderful job developing the main characters. I had difficulties liking Isaac at times, but couldn’t help rooting for him to move on in a healthy, positive way.

As Ramie’s family tries to move on from her disappearance, the FBI does its best to crack the case
Lisa Mitchell
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Childs family appears to be a typical family on the surface, but when tragedy strikes, family secrets start to emerge. In a story reminiscent of a Patricia Cornwell thriller, the multiple plot twists will keep the reader turning pages until the shocker at the end. There is some profanity, mainly spoken by the FBI agents as they make one gruesome discovery after another. There is also a sequel, for those who want to read beyond the cliffhanger at the end. Overall, this was an engaging, ...more
Catherine  Wright (Cat's Guilty Pleasure)
I absolutely loved this one. It has all the feels. Issac seemed to have it all and then tragedy strikes rocking their world. This is a story about life changing events and learning how to cope with the outcome. I really loved this book and look forward to the next one.
Seth
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well let me start off by qualifying this glowing review with this: this whole story takes place in the city where I grew up, Woodstock, GA. So reading about all the parks and places in and around Woodstock was like literally just walking down memory lane. I spend many a night at Hobgood park right where our characters are multiple times. So obviously I was going to love a book that took place in a town so dear to me. Now to the story, I have read this author's other 2 novels and while I liked ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Family Affair: Spring (Truth in Lies, #2)
  • All the Stars in the Sky (Until the End of the World, #3)
  • NCLEX Review: CARDIOLOGY STUDY GUIDE: (Content Breakdown + 100 NCLEX Review Practice Questions and Rationales) (Nursing School Made EASY!)
  • The Prodigal Sister
  • Roadkill
  • Killers Among
  • The Guilty Friend
  • The Closer I Get
  • Murder of Ravens (Gabriel Hawke #1)
  • Siren (Kate Redman Mysteries, #9)
  • At Last
  • Your Son Is Alive
  • Big Woods
  • The Trouble with Sisters and Snipers
  • Quiet Vapor: A novella in the world of The Riverine Resistance
  • Convenient Lies (Hidden Truths #1)
  • The Three Deaths of Magdalene Lynton (Ngaire Blakes, #1)
  • Death Be Blue (Terra Vane #1)
I'm a professional thrifter, the father of four children, and an avid runner. I was born and raised in Georgia, and spent time in Oklahoma, California, Connecticut, and then Oregon, as an adult. I'm a graduate of Oregon State University and now reside in North Georgia, raising my family, near family.

My first book, The Earth Bleeds Red, was released in 2013. My second book, The Lights Will Never