Start by marking “A Family for Keeps (Stories of Us, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Family for Keeps (Stories of Us, #1)

A Family for Keeps

(Stories of Us #1)

After being thrust into unexpected fatherhood four years ago by the tragic loss of his sister, Tristan discovers the baby he's fallen for was accidentally switched at birth.

As soon as he meets the father of the other child, he realizes parenthood wasn't the only surprise Fate had in store for him.

Nathaniel is everything Tristan always wanted in a partner, but how

Published August 12th 2018 (first published August 3rd 2018)

To ask other readers questions about A Family for Keeps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Family for Keeps

Start your review of A Family for Keeps (Stories of Us, #1)
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
~1.5~

This book was all kinds of terrible:

- Cookie-cutter characters whose points of view were interchangeable. The two MCs sounded so much alike, I kept forgetting who was narrating and had to go through mental acrobatics to keep it straight: "Wait, so Tristan is the baker, right?"

- Random POV shifts; a couple times, the third-person POV became first-person for a paragraph or two.

- Editing issues galore, including random repetition of the same phrase at the beginning and end of a sentence
Cee Brown
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
.★*) .*)
(.★*..`★¤4 1/2 stars for making a family...¤★*..*ˑ★

"You cannot be Emma's biological father. Blood Type B and Type O cannot equal A."

Just one sentence was enough to send Nathaniel's life in a turmoil. As a single father, he had made the conscious decision to have children on his own. Now with those words, and a sick child, he had no choice but to do two things. Find the parents of the child he had raised as his own and meet the one that should have been his.

"I'm sorry Mr. Callahan,
Chris, the Dalek King
So, I ended up reading this series out of sequence. I had wanted to get the review for the second posted close to the release date, and knowing I would not have time to do reviews for both in that same week, decided to put this one off till I had an opening in my schedule. Luckily for me the two stories are only tangentially related and as a result my reading them out of order did not have any impact on my reading of the stories.

As a result I can also say that despite my (many) problems with
Jenny Wood
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Okay, so holy angst.

Im not a big fan of angst, but Im a sucker for a hot guy with a kid. Throw in two hot guys with their kids, and Im a goner. So, I was confused by the vague blurb, I didnt understand how these two would be so forced together to raise their children together, and I say children, but really the focus on the two girls.. I felt really sorry for the younger boy I dont even remember his name, thats how little he was mentioned. When the girls got to go swimming in the pool on their
Nic
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Adorable

Well this was just one of those tugging at your heart type story. So much grief and pain but yet equal amounts of beauty and love. I really liked this story and the emotions that it illicit. Having the support of family that can be made up of friends is a beautiful thing. The main characters were both adorable and so were the kids. Really liked Nate and enjoyed this story.
Kim
Mar 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
New to me author. This is a mm contemporary story about baby girls switched at birth. Main characters are Nathaniel and Tristan. This story is set in the USA. This story made me think a lot about the feelings involved by the switch. Great story.. Ill read this author again. ...more
R
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, reviewed
Tristen lost the dearest person in his world in a car accident and gained a beautiful niece. When he lost his sister, he lost a piece of himself. With his family by choice helping him raise the little girl, life is good for him and Sammy, perfect maybe.

Nathaniel has it all, wealth, happiness, two children. Emma and Wyatt are his children through surrogates. He wants for nothing. He has no other family to speak of. He is a little lonely but other than that his life is perfect, until it isn't.

Jennie
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was drawn into this story right from the start. What a start it was.. my heart broke for Tristan and Nathanial. The author did a great job conveying the trauma, fear & uncertainty these men go through after finding out their baby girls were switched at the hospital four years before.
Together they have to try to figure out what to do next and how to move forward under the circumstances. Both men are confused and torn about the decisions they need to make.
"And now, somehow, two people who
Kendra T
Aug 15, 2018 rated it liked it
I loved the concept of the book, and I admit to having quite a few tears as I read through the emotional ups and downs that Tristan went through with the loss of his sister. I thought the emotion was well written for this part. The child mix up and subsequent meeting the families was interesting and well handled. I liked the story, and was invested in how it would all work out.

Where I had some frustrations was in the writing itself. There were times where I had difficulty determining who was
Andrada Matei
I had to take a bit of time to read this book for a second time and to think about what to write because I think a review filled with OMG! and I LOVED IT SO MUCH! and others like that wouldn't tell you why I love it.
But yes, I'll start with I LOVED IT! It is in my top 3 best books I've read this year.
I've had the chance and luck to beta read this and it intrigued me from the moment I read the description. I haven't read anything like this before and it was a breath of fresh air to be able to
Ekollon
To be absolutely honest, I'm not entirely certain how a book about two babies who were switched at birth (one of whom is seriously ill) managed to be so boring. In the very beginning I felt the book had promise (because of the premise/setup), but oh how was I disappointed. The book should have by necessity had lots of drama and tension, and yet it didn't. The children (and one of the child's dead mother) were flat and had no character or personality. I kept waiting to feel on the edge of my ...more
Jenn (not Lily)
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ku
3.75 stars. The story was very well-thought out, obviously well planned, but I think that may be part of why it wasn't an absolute 4+ for me -- there were just a few too many places where the planning took me out of the story. However, it was very enjoyable, and I really want to see what's going on with Cris and read about Teo and Lain's HEAs, so I'll be reading more by this author for sure. One last word about the cover -- if you make such a big deal about the MC's eye color, shouldn't the ...more
Earlyn
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nathaniel and Tristan

From page one I had tears. That was the beginning of Tristan's story.
He lost the only family he loved, but ended up being the best dad his sister could ask for.
Four years later Nathaniel's daughter is sick and he cannot help her.
Because he is not the biological father. The worst news your kid was switched at birth.
This part of the story was handled so well . I felt the different emotions going through each parent.
The love story however could use some help. Instead of
Libby
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Well done

This book was really good for the authors first book! I always love MM romances that have kids. This story was also unique. They only thing I would say is the author needs to get a bit more creative. Like the intimate senses were all strict top bottom, no versatility. I also loved the supporting characters. Im hoping for a second book.
Sali
I've liked the story. Like both guys. Like the setup..
You can tell it's a debut author's book. It's not that bad, but it could be better.
The book is in need of editing. I often couldn't tell whose chapter POV I was reading, there are also a few random switch POV that threw me out of the story.
The children don't act like children at all. They are perfect little plant. Do what they are suppose to. Be where they are suppose to..
Can't talk about the medical aspect because I don't know much about
Lelyana
Aug 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm, arc, 2018

This is a sweet family reunion story with a heartbreaking background. I loved the idea of a not usual plot like this, I also likes that both MCs not instantly fall in love for each other, but think of their kids first.
I enjoyed this one, the kids are adorable, the relationship is close to reality.
Some details about medical 'things' was kinda annoyed me. But that's okay.
Mona
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
Amy Dufera
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing

A Family For Keeps is ultimately a sweet, feel good romance.

Tristan has been raising his niece, Sammy, since his sister and her husband died. Sammy has become his entire world. Nathaniel has been raising his daughter since his wife died.

Tristan and Nathaniel are brought together under unthinkable circumstances. Neither are happy with the other, full of fear and resentment, with two innocent little girls caught in the middle. It takes a lot of courage to do the right thing, which will end up
T.J. Fox
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
When I first read the blurb for this, I was pretty excited because it checked a lot of boxes for me on things I love in a good story. The premise and idea behind the story is really good, if maybe a little bit over the top. Sadly, the execution of that idea kind of flopped. There were just too many things that kept yanking me out of this story for me to ever really sink into it emotionally and I hated that.

The majority of this book is contained inside the characters heads, giving the reader very
Frances Trevis
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Heart warming first book

This book is centred around two single dad families that are brought together through a mix up at the hospital on the day their children are born, this being only discovered around 4 years later, when one of the children needs a organ transplant and the biological father is not a match!

Its a story that Id never come across before and was filled with a fathers love for his children, how protective the fathers are essentially about children they are not biologically
Badh
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Tristan's beloved sister died in a car accident while she was very pregnant, and left Tristan in charge of her baby. He was totally surprised by the fact that she was pregnant because she hadn't told him. But he fell in love with the baby girl and now 4 years later, he adores her and she's his life.

Nathaniel is another single dad. He paid for surrogates to get his beloved daughter and son. When his daughter gets sick, she needs a transplant, and it turns out that she isn't his biological
Sarah Jones
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5* A Family for Keeps is the debut novel by Rheland Richmond. I loved the idea of this story and havent seen it done quite like this before in my reading. Even in this crazy situation where the girls were switched, every issue was portrayed very carefully and realistically while avoiding the unnecessary drama that could have been included.

I was so glad that even though both main characters, Tristan and Nathaniel, had so many things thrown at them in a very short time frame, both were able to
Amanda
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This story definitely hit me right in the feels over and over again. The idea of finding out your child was switched with another at the hospital on the day they were born? I can't even imagine. The plot of this one is interesting and kept me glued to the story. The children in the story are adorable and sweet and feisty, and brought a lot to it. Tristan and Nathaniel are both such lost souls in their own ways, both having great careers and wonderful children, but finding something in each other ...more
namericanwordcat
The writing and the plot is pretty rough in this romance.

Richmond has many elements that should make a good love story but even though I really like the characters, we need more falling in love than the situation.

Nathanial needs therapy for him to really heal from his childhood. I want to see more connection.

The grief on Tristan's part for his sisters and the real dilemma for both heroes as they discover their babies were switched is well done.

I like the circle of friends and Tristen's
Patricia Hoffstaetter
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished-reading
I quite enjoyed reading this emotional MM romance. I found the plot well-thought out & written with a steady pace. It is interesting with likable, engaging characters. There is good support from the secondary characters.
There is: two men (Nathaniel & Tristan) are brought together by unexpected circumstances involving their daughters (Emma & Sammy aka Samantha), caring friends, drama, twists & turns, intrigue, mystery, devastating news, investigations, disbelief, confrontations,
Helen Oakes
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
*arc received in exchange for an honest review*

This was a terrific debut novel by Richmond. The background story of the swapped babies and therefore the two main characters, Tristan and Nathaniel, having to meet due to one of them being ill made the novel stand out in the crowd. It was definitely a slow burn romance which normally isnt my scene but it was definitely what was needed for this novel. The focus was on them getting to know each other while also supporting the children. My only
kathleen
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved A Family for Keeps. This book has the best of everything. Two men who believe in family even when they haven't been shown the best examples of it. They each love their children and are devoted to being the best Dad they can be.

When an unexpected bomb is thrown at them they have no choice but to work together. Each will do whatever it takes to provide what is needed for the children. Along the way Tristan and Nathanial find more than they bargained for.

This is a slow burn, sweet and sexy
BookSnuggle
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
A Family For Keeps (Stories Of Us Book 1) by Rheland Richmond. This is Tristan Callahan and Nathaniel Alexander's story.

Tristan is raising his niece after losing his sister. One day Tristan learns that his niece and another little girl were switched at birth. This is where Tristan and Nathaniel meet. Neither want to lose the child they have cared for but wants to have a connection with their rightful child too. There are so many obstacles in their way so how can these two strangers come up with
Kathryn Manzella
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Tristan's world was rocked when his older sister was killed in an accident and he went from being a 22 year old college student to a guardian of her new born daughter. But he loved the little girl and raised her like the best daddy he could be. 4 years later his world is rocked again when he finds out his little girl was switched at birth. Now he needs to figure out how to co parent with the beautifully sexy Nathaniel. Can they find together the family they always dreamed of?

Tristan and
Violet  Marshall
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
A beautiful book the writing was okay there were a few problems, but I was still able to enjoy the story. The plot was entertaining and it was steady throughout the book. I found the story and characters wonderful. The characters were developed and thought out. Tristan and Nathaniel are the MCs of this book. There was humor, loss and grief, friends and family, medical tests, a hospital, moving, children and more in this book. I can recommend this book as a good read. Even though there were some ...more

• Scarification (Irons and Works #6)
  • Today (Single Dads #2)
  • Stick and Poke (Irons and Works, #5)
  • Flash Me (Heathens Ink #6)
  • Bio-Mechanical (Irons and Works, #4)
  • Let Me Show You (True-Blue, #1)
  • The Truth Within (Pelican Bay #3)
  • Science & Jockstraps (Ace's Wild, #1)
  • Single (Single Dads #1)
  • Protecting My Commitment (Sulfur Springs #1)
  • Renegades (Breaking the Rules #1)
  • Teddy and His Bear (Oh My!, #1)
  • To Touch the Light (Irons and Works)
  • Broken Halos (Queen City Rogues, #1)
  • How Not to Blend (Lovestrong #1)
  • Promise (Single Dads #3)
  • Appeal to You (Beyond the Cove, #3)
  • 45 and Holding
Writes Omegaverse as Skye R. Richmond.

For as long as she can remember Skye had her nose stuck in a book, getting lost in the world of someone else's creation (She still does). Her love for writing came from her love for reading. She could never have one without the other.

Writing was always a hobby and a cathartic experience for her. There are many stories lost to the never to be completed or

Stories of Us (6 books)
  • His Instant Family (Stories of Us, #2)
  • A Family of His Own (Stories of Us, #3)
  • His Reluctant Family (Stories of Us, #4)
  • A Family At Last (Stories Of Us, #5)
  • A Family He Needed  (Stories of Us, #6)

News & Interviews