Start by marking “Shadow of Deception (Sky Cities #2)” as Want to Read:
Shadow of Deception (Sky Cities #2)

Shadow of Deception

(Sky Cities #2)

Nothing is what it seems…

Basra is the eternal city—A paradise filled with relics of the old world. But whispers on the wind speak of destitution and hopelessness. There’s decay beneath the city’s surface.

And paradise is filled with lies and deceit…

As an ambassador for Tartarus, it’s my duty to bridge the gap between us and the other cities. We need these alliances no
Published October 1st 2018

To ask other readers questions about Shadow of Deception, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadow of Deception

Start your review of Shadow of Deception (Sky Cities #2)
Bex (Beckie Bookworm)
scs
Sky-cities-sol-ciel-ar-tonelico

5 Stars
Arc Book Review
Release Date-1/10/18

So often the second book in a series is a total let-down especially when you have had your expectations raised by such a fantastic and original beginning.
Not so with "Shadow Of Deception" the second book in the sky cities series: this was just as gripping as its predecessor and as with the first book I raced through this in record time.
Being back with Cassie and her boys was pure magic and like Cassie herself, I couldn't choose a favourite man from her
Camila
A five star rating, I know what you're thinking..
I RARELY do this.

I am in love with these men. Even Noaz, the stoic, quiet dude who rarely approaches her.

I don't know what it was about this book that had me hooked but I was H O O K E D. Seriously. Looking back at it now I think this book wasn't very forward in the plot but all the same I couldn't for the life of me put it down. I was engaged.

With the ending, I am super excited to see where book 3 leads. So where is book 3???

With the slow-burn, P
Vicki
I like a great deal about this reverse harem series, including its sci-fi and dystopian elements and slow burn romance. I like all of the characters, especially the heroes, though their history is getting revealed to us very slowly so some we don't know much about them yet (some things we can easily predict but Cass doesn't know about them yet so it will be fun when she figures it out). I look forward to learning more and more about them, and to more interactions between each of them and Cass, t ...more
Anna
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After learning what is happening to the sky cities, the team must travel to the other cities and seek their help. First stop, Basra. A city that is beyond beautiful. Ever heard that beauty is only skin deep? That goes for cities as well. While the streets and buildings may be pleasing to the eye, there is a darkness hidden underneath. Can Cass discover the truth behind the lies before it's too late?

The first book in this series gave us a lot to handle. Some people weren't really happy with certa
Rachel The reader
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Better and better

Came across book three and decided to start at the beginning. These books are just my kind of favourite with a good storyline, a strong but quite naive heroine and love interest.
The author has a brilliant understanding of human nature and brings out both good and bad in her characters but demonstrates just how strong they are despite their flaws.
The depiction of the sky cities is so good you can imagine being there.
I loved book one and went straight to book two and now to book
Meagan
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoying this series

I am really liking this series from author Lucy Smoke. The FMC is extremely relatable - she’s struggled through so much but has a will to survive and an inner strength that is admirable. World building in this series is amazing and I’m anxious to see what the author has in store for the other sky cities the characters are set to visit. I love how with each book we get to see a little more “man behind the mask” for the guys and the natural progression their relationshi
JC02
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hardcore

Heavy follow up to book 1. Cass and the guys head to Basra to meet with the governor but instead of finding a concerned war, the team is rebuffed at every turn. The culture is completely different than Cass is used to - shiny, flowery and dressy, but underneath the judgement and finery is a darkness no one knew was there, save Levi and Noaz. Things start to heat up with Thayer, Haze, Aaron and Levi, finally acknowledging feeling between them, but Cass is still scared to give her heart o
Allison
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one was even better than the first! The world-building is just incredible and I love all these characters so much. The slow-burn would usually kill me, but Lucy writes it with so much escalating tension that when a steamy scene comes along - it's simply electric! I am loving every second of this story. ...more
Savannah
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So flippin good

Hello there. This was another amazing book from this author! I love these characters and the world so dang much. I cannot wait to see what happens to Cass and her guys next!
Samantha
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The eagerly awaited second book in the Sky City Series did not disappoint! As the plot thickens, and intrigue is around every corner, will Cassie and her guys be able to focus on each other? Or will they have bigger problems to face?
Hollie Aldridge
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bought through audible.....
And I continue to love this world and these characters. This world fascinates me more with each installment. I will be eagerly anticipating the next book. Good writing, good character development, and excellent world building..... so this book deserves each star!
Kim Latham
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Shadow of Deception went passed my expectations. I loved this story! I can't wait for book 3. This story is full of life and the characters.
Jennifer G
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Basra, the eternal city, paradise, deception. A city of gold built on decay. But it, like the other sky cities, is living on borrowed time. The cities are falling. As the ambassadors of Tartarus, Cass, Haze, Levi, Aaron, Thayer, and Noaz need to meet with the Governor of Basra and try to enlist her help finding a solution to save them. It's not a simple request, however. Basra is a society dedicated to the 'finer' things in life; parties, socials, fights, good food and wine. There is no good tim ...more
Rhiannon Chillingworth
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.75 really, but rounded up, as there was a lot I liked about it.

I like the dystopian/sci fi element and I think Cassie is a good character. She does get a bit annoying with her issues with the relationships in the first half, but by the end there seems to be some progress with that.

I like the men in this, although I think it is a shame they are not developed more. They all obviously have histories, but we don't really get much about them. I did like the tension between them all, though, and it
Cherie Stauffer
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
The twists and turns keep coming!!!! New city, new culture and both new and old issues keeps you captivated throughout the entire book. You truly get to know the MC on a deeper level and see sides of her that she didn't even know she had. The chemistry between the MC and her men continue to heat up to the point that I am worried that my Kindle will catch on fire.

Smoke truly keeps raising the bar with each of her books and I can't wait to see where she takes us next!
Book Addict
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Gosh this lady sure does know how to suck a reader into her stories and make you fully invested in what is going on! I am loving this series, it is really different to a lot of other RH series out at the moment and in this book we really get to know some of the guys on a different level and get to see their full personalities, both good and bad!! Cass really starts to come out more in this book but I really would like the book to be less slow slow burn and would like some more development betwee ...more
Jessica Robbins
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-kindle
Another excellent installment in this post-apocalyptic reverse harem series! We catch up with Cass and the guys as they are getting ready to travel to one of the other cities in an effort to find out more information for their investigation. Well of course there are lots of surprises along the way that could never plan for that keeps us guessing as the story unfolds. Cass is finally getting over her grief as well which makes things interesting as they all get to know each other better. Great wor ...more
Elia
Oct 12, 2020 rated it did not like it
Again, great story terrible character

I dont understand how you are sending someone as an ambassador for you, one who apparently has photographic memory, and don't insist she knows something about the place she's visiting??? Like who the rulers are? The laws and customs? Just make her out to be a bumbling fool. Also, what's with the "Kida was her one and only"? Didn't the agree before Kida dies that she was going to see the guys?? So what's with this now??
Whitney Wright
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was an amazing follow up to the first book, I really enjoyed this second installment and the storyline held my full attention from start to finish. I know this is a slow burn RH but I can not wait for more to happen between Cassie and the team! The small moments that have happened so far were just perfect for the guy that it was happening with. I really loved this book and I hate that it had to end!
Margaret
Jul 06, 2020 rated it liked it
The first one was better. I know I started this series wanting to read a RH, but was pleasantly surprised by the first book's synopsis and ending. So this book was somewhat doll compered to the previous. ...more
Amanda Showalter
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is better than the first one. I had some issues getting into the first book but it was good but this one just manages to pull you even farther into the story and it just leaves you wanting more but happy with what you just read
Britan
Oct 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: why-choose, sci-fi
Good

This books, good but slow. It did very little to further the story line but some of the relationships progressed along. I'm still curious to see where it's going to go, but if every city they visit is like this one then the series is going to be a long one.
Laura C. Thomas
Nov 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lovely

Really enjoyed this book. The complexity and corruption of the cities is being slowly revealed and the relationship between Cass and her men continues to evolve.
Cassandra
Oct 08, 2018 rated it liked it
As the second book in the Sky Cities series, this one is definitely way less action packed and more political maneuvering based. And while there were several aspects of the storyline that I really did enjoy, I found the ending to be really anticlimactic.

On a side note, this is definitely a slow burn style reverse harem. Unfortunately there was only minimal relationship growth between the characters. It all seemed a little superficial, except maybe the interacts between Cassie and Haze.
Gmomy
May 30, 2020 rated it did not like it
I came back and changed my review after realizing this series is long past due to have book 4 completed. I hate that I wasted one minute of my time on this series and will not make that mistake with this author again. Such a shame since it has potential.
Brielle
Apr 04, 2020
Ami
rated it did not like it
Dec 16, 2020
Lisa F
Feb 20, 2021
Summer
Nov 19, 2019
Victoria Malato
Sep 11, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Wasteland (Their Champion, #1)
  • Pretty Lies (Watch Me Burn, #1)
  • Traitor Witch (The Deadwood, #1)
  • The Princess's Chosen (Inheritance of Hunger, #2)
  • The Summit (Their Champion, #2)
  • My Bloodline (Featherstone Academy, #1)
  • Ricochet
  • The Queen's Line (Inheritance of Hunger, #1)
  • Twisted Fate (Watch Me Burn, #2)
  • Book of the Damned: A-E5L1-01-00 (The JAK2 Cycle, #2)
  • Book of the Lost: AAV-07d25-11 (The JAK2 Cycle, #3)
  • Book of the Dead: AESLI-00 (The JAK2 Cycle, #1)
  • Heartless (Steel Demons MC, #6)
  • Havoc at Prescott High (The Havoc Boys, #1)
  • Wolf Awakened (Willow's Forbidden Pack, #1)
  • Raven Blood (The Red Masques, #1)
  • A Fate Unknown (The Ghost Girl, #1)
  • Wolf's Bane (Wolves Next Door, #1)
Lucy Smoke is a USA Bestselling Author most known for her Iris Boys series.

Lucy is a writer of dark romance, new adult and young adult romance, and various other sub-genres therein. Her main writing focus is on various forms of romance. She loves to experiment with her characters and shine a little light on things that catch her fancy.

Sky Cities (3 books)
  • Heart of Tartarus (Sky Cities, #1)
  • Sword of Damage (Sky Cities #3)