Start by marking “Letters from Pemberley: The First Year” as Want to Read:
Letters from Pemberley: The First Year

Letters from Pemberley: The First Year

"[A] pleasant and believable story...an enjoyable read." --Susannah Fullerton, President, The Jane Austen Society of Australia

In this continuation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, Elizabeth Bennet, now Mrs. Fitzwilliam Darcy and mistress of Pemberley, finds herself in a very different league of wealth and privilege. Writing to her beloved sister Jane, she confides her
Published May 1st 2007 by Sourcebooks Landmark (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Letters from Pemberley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Letters from Pemberley

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Such a quick, lovely little read for all Pride and Prejudice lovers. It is truly uncomplicated. A comfort read, at its finest. Nothing hurts about this book. It made me smile. I flew through it in half an hour, no, really. That's how sweet, and fast, and uncomplicated it was. I didn't think. I didn't hate.

I read. I enjoyed. I smiled. Half an hour, really. I read fast :)

This book is in epistolary form, meaning it is presented in letters. More specifically, letters written from Elizabeth to her si
Leslie
As described in the title this is a book in epistolary form, thanks to reading Simply Austen I learned that First Impressions was written in this style and that 20 letters are mentioned or shown in P&P.

I have read other P&P Variations in this form and enjoyed them a great deal. This was rather dry and dull. The reason I like letters is because things can be said in a personal letter that could never be said in a drawing room. But these aren't those letters. These are chatty letters from
Lit Reader
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
A very proper, formal and dull epistolary novel... the story was not interesting to me (at all) and the writing style is dragging...
I would not recommend this -- not to my taste!
Anna
Aug 28, 2012 added it
Shelves: austenesque
Letters From Pemberley is an epistolary continuation of Pride and Prejudice that is a pure comfort read. It contains the letters written by Elizabeth Darcy to her sister Jane Bingley during her first year as Mistress of Pemberley, from February to December 1813. I read the book in just a couple of hours, and it was a pleasant way to spend an evening.

The novel basically is a one-sided conversation, as only Elizabeth’s letters are featured, but Dawkins does a good job showing how Mr. Darcy has cha
Carole (in Canada)
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: JAFF
Shelves: favorites
I bought and read this book several years ago as it is an epislatory novel which I thought would be a different view of my favourite characters. Namely, letters written by Elizabeth Darcy during her first year of marriage to her sister Jane Bingley. It was delightful and to me a personal look at Elizabeth's life from her point of view. Her insecurities, daily life and meeting new neighbours. Speaking of new neighbours, the author has used characters from other Jane Austen novels. It was fun gett ...more
Nazlıcan
Sep 13, 2018 rated it liked it
İki çok yakın kardeşin mektuplaşmasına göre biraz fazla resmiydi. Tabii hiçbir kitap Jane Austen’ın kitaplarının tadını vermiyor. Gurur ve Önyargı’dan bağımsız düşünürsek güzel, biraz devam kitabı olarak düşünürsek “eh işte”ydi.
Damla
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favoriler
Çünkü nolursa olsun pemberley'e dönmek kadar güzel bir şey yok?
Kat
Another continuation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, Jane Dawkins's Letters From Pemberley is a series of 25 letters all written by Elizabeth Darcy to her older sister Jane Bingley. While many of the P&P continations take place years after the Darcys have been married, Dawkins's novel takes place immediately following the double wedding. Through Elizabeth's correspondence, we learn about her apprehension at being the new mistress of Pemberley, the goings on of the rest of the Bennet fa ...more
As a huge Jane Austin fan, I can’t help but feel like authors who try to “continue” great stories are simply delusional hacks with arrogance to spare. Dawkins’s interpretation of P&P and its characters is completely opposed to my own, which may account the low rating. I always viewed Lizzie as eloquent, plainspoken and quick-witted, fully ignorant of society’s ridiculous rules but fully dedicated to her family at all times. These letters make her appear dull, overly concerned with the though ...more
Aubree
Apr 30, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a pretty good continuation of Pride and Prejudice. I wish I could have had a more intimate look at the character's lives, instead of the step outside (just reading Elizabeth's letters to Jane). I do think that this was the best way for the book to be written. I have read that Jane Austen would answer questions about the continuing lives of her characters. These letters give us a little peek in without the author trying to be Jane Austen herself. It wasn't the greatest book I h ...more
Petra
This book was just...nice and warm, if you know what I mean. It's written well, it's an easy read and I appreciate the research behind the book. There is a list of "sources" at the end and I might actually go and read some of the books.

The "story" follows Elizabeth's first year as Mrs. Darcy through letters she writes mostly to Jane, but also to Mrs. Gardiner and other people. She writes about her new life, about missing her old one in a way, about her new friends... The book really feels like a
Lisa
Sep 05, 2009 rated it liked it
Being a Jane Austin fan! I am up for just about anything that has to do with Lizzy and Darcy! So I very willingly read this book! It was entertaining...but nothing more. It is a bunch of letters from Lizzy to Jane and they are cute and fun to read. Its fun to imagine what life for the Darcy's would of been like after the wedding. In the introduction the author admits to just wanting to entertain Austen fans, and that is what she did.
Danielle
Jul 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: ja-and-sequels
It was not a bad book but it was not very entertaining either. The way the description read it gave you the impression there would be some mishaps similar to those when Lizzy and Darcy first met. I expected more so was a little disappointed and felt the story to be a little dull. Nothing unexpected happened, just the things we all expected.
Hailee
Apr 14, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5
A really quick enjoyable read. Nothing eventful really happened - a story about the everyday lives of the Darcy's in their first year of marriage.
Katie
Sep 10, 2012 rated it liked it
The truth is that if you really like Jane Austen, it is better to read her books over again than to read Jane Austen-esqe books. A light, fluffy sort of read, not terrible, not great.
Oct 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Letters from Pemberley and More Letters from Pemberley, both by Jane Dawkins, were lovely reads, very much in keeping with the tone, language, and sentiments of Austen’s original. They made me reflect on the difference between my life and the life of a gentlewoman in the early 19th century. While I carom from activity to activity and then fall exhausted into bed at the end of every long day, Mrs. Elizabeth Darcy reads poetry in front of the fire, embroiders for pleasure, and takes long walks in ...more
Anita D
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was soooo impressed with the writing of this novel. I found it to be extremely authentic in feel and in literal semantics. It seemed to be a very accurate picture of what life would probably have been like for Mrs. Darcy in the first year. It was very believable.

However saying that - I can understand that a less appreciative fan of the period, someone who doesn't read for the subtle nuances of JA's writing would have demanded more "action" or "drama". The story was not terribly exciting. Thou
Karen A. Wyle
May 15, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm not sure whether to call this short epistolary extension of Pride and Prejudice a novel, as it largely lacks plot. A few events occur, but only one is less than predictable. The book is mainly a pleasant peek behind the scenes of Pemberley after the curtain drops at the end of the source material.

I'm also not sure how I feel about the author's decision to transplant various characters from other Austen novels into this story, albeit with new names, and the similar decision to include passage
Amy
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
People are haters and far too fussy when it comes to Jane Austen variations. There are such strict rules dictating how everyone's allowed to behave or be described and I'm shocked that anyone's brave enough to post anything in the genre. Seems like you'd only be fodder for sticklers to tear you apart.

Anyway, I loved this. The language felt realistic and highly authentic to the time period; no modern sayings crept in. I thought she nailed the phrasings. The author had also clearly done her resea
Hilary Tesh
The frustrations of this book are twofold: firstly, that it is only half a correspondence (yes, I know, the clue’s in the name) and secondly that the author thought it was a good idea to introduce thinly disguised versions of Austen characters. The effect of the first was that the writing was more stilted than it needed to be as the author sought to convey what Jane had written in her letters to Lizzy. The effect of the second was simple - irritation! So although it was a good attempt to convey ...more
Cassienerdgirl
Dec 22, 2018 rated it did not like it
I usually give P&P sequels at least 3 stars, but this one was tired and reused so many of Jane Austen's phrases & characters so poorly that I almost didn't want to finish it. All the "new" characters and stories in E.D.'s letters were just characters from J.A.'s other novels, but given different names. Maybe if I had only read her books once, I would have enjoyed this more. But, as I have them almost-memorized, it seemed more like a paper-mache using strips of Northanger and S&S.
Annette
Jan 17, 2018 rated it did not like it
Jackie
Jan 03, 2017 rated it liked it
pride and prejudice is one of my favorite novels. so I am wary of books attempting to continue it or give a new perspective. but I did enjoy this book. the author did a good job telling of lizzies first year at pemberley. this book is written in the form of letter to jane, and this is a quick read, not very long. I recommend this book for the jane austen lovers.
Sarah Korhnak
Jan 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Well written and truly seemed to match the nature of the beloved Jane Austen characters. This book is a series of letters Elizabeth writes to Jane in the year following her marriage. Because of the nature of the book, it is not overly exciting or engaging. However it is very sweet and gives a nice glimpse into how life might have been for Elizabeth after marrying Darcy.
Ilona
Jun 21, 2017 rated it liked it
A gently entertaining read. I suspect its creation was probably far more entertaining for its author, who captures the voice of Elizabeth very well, than its digestion proved to this reader, who enjoyed it ... mildly.

Kristin
Aug 17, 2018 rated it liked it
If you are in the mood for quick peeks into the year following Pride and Prejudice in the a style like Jane Austen this is the book for you. It isn't a page turner, but it is an excellent read if your looking for a light book that will make you smile.
Eliz
Oct 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Quick, easy, and not emotionally taxing. Including the back and forth letters from the other characters - and not just Elizabeth - would really have dramatically enhanced this book.
Cathy
Mar 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Light, easy reading. This book covers the first year of marriage for Elizabeth Bennett. Who knows if Jane Austen would have ever written a sequel, but this was fun to read.
Megan
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Just okay. Slow and took forever to read, kind of boring. Geogiana's story line, did not like. Kissing cousins, grosses me out.
Nicole Hughes
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I found a Pride and Prejudice sequel that I didn't hate! I'm so happy right now!
  • Mr. Darcy's Secret
  • Pemberley Shades: A Lightly Gothic Tale of Mr. and Mrs. Darcy
  • Mr. Darcy Presents His Bride: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • The Darcys Give a Ball: A Gentle Joke, Jane Austen Style
  • The Ladies of Longbourn (The Pemberley Chronicles, #4)
  • The Perfect Bride for Mr. Darcy
  • Mrs Darcy's Dilemma
  • And This Our Life (Chronicles of the Darcy Family #1)
  • For You Alone (Frederick Wentworth, Captain, #2)
  • Mr. Darcy's Decision: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • Darcy and Anne
  • First Impressions: A Tale of Less Pride & Prejudice
  • Conviction: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • A Pemberley Medley
  • Old Friends and New Fancies: An Imaginary Sequel to the Novels of Jane Austen
  • A Match For Mary Bennet: Can A Serious Young Lady Ever Find Her Way To Love?
  • The Confession of Fitzwilliam Darcy