Start by marking “When We Were Lost” as Want to Read:
When We Were Lost

When We Were Lost

When a plane bound for Costa Rica crashes in deep jungle, the tail section breaks free and nineteen teenagers miraculously survive. Joel Aspinall, son of a local politician and student rep on the school’s council, is quick to take on the mantle of leadership, to organize everyone until a rescue party arrives. But the plane was crashed on purpose, no one knows where they ar ...more
Expected publication: June 4th 2019 by Little, Brown & Company

To ask other readers questions about When We Were Lost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When We Were Lost

Tucker

2.5 Stars

A gripping, white-knuckle survival story set in the unknown depths of the Amazon jungle, When We Were Lost explores the razor-thin line between life and death, and what it really means to be alive.

Lies! All lies.

JIMMY Patterson who published this novel, also published my all time favorite book, Stalking Jack the Ripper so I obviously had high hopes for this book. Most of the stuff I've read from Patterson's Imprint has been very good or at the very least, mediocre. I think the reason I
PamG
I won this ARC copy through a Goodreads Giveaway. Thanks to JIMMY Patterson Books | Little, Brown and Company | Hachette Book Group and to author Kevin Wignall. The novel is a YA action adventure that focuses on the survival of a group of high schoolers. The plot is what I expected for the most part with a couple of surprises through out the book. The main character is an introvert, but you have the expected group of diverse personalities among the rest of the group.

This is a fast read and one
OutlawPoet
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
So, when I got this book, I was horrified by these words: Presented by James Patterson. Patterson makes me break out in hives. However, he does do a good job of picking out and supporting some good YA adventures.

This is a good book. It's a very exciting YA survival story. While there are certainly deaths, I thought they were a little...few and gentle (?) for the situation they were in. I get that this is YA, but YA readers can take a little more edge and realism.

That being said, the adventure wa
Cheryl
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is one book that actually took me by surprise. It was surprising how good it was. I didn't hate the characters. Which is what I was expecting to happen is to find a bunch of whiny teenagers. Even the "jerk" was reasonable. I could understand where he was coming from and why he acted the way he did. He actually was not so much a leader. It is just that he did not know any other way of coping with the situation. You strip away the layers and all you got was a scared boy.

Because I actually li
Mari Johnston
This review and many others can also be found at Musings of a (Book) Girl.

content warnings: plane crash, death, violence, suicide

I was honestly so hyped for When We Were Lost. I’m a sucker for a good survival story, especially one that’s being compared to both Lost and Lord of the Flies, but to say I was disappointed would be an understatement. Really the only similarity between this novel and the above is a plane crash leaving the characters stranded in an unknown location. That’s it. Which rea
Harriet Butler
May 16, 2019 rated it liked it
So I read this book in one setting because the plot was super super good and I felt like it was a movie! I’ve never read 385 pages before just in a row so wow!

I didn’t like how the dialogue was dumbed down for the characters to sound younger. I’m supposed to be there age and it was low key insulting but other then that the need to know what happened kept me reading :)
Stephanie Mills
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaway
This is a good book. It's a very exciting YA survival story! I think anyone who likes plane crash then survival books will like it. Nineteen teenagers survive the crash and soon have to find out how to survive. This book did have its con's don't get me wrong! But in the end I enjoyed it and look forward to reading a finished copy!
Mara
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This novel stated out with an outsider as the main character. Tom, who lost his parents when he was nine, is going on a trip with his fellow classmates to Costa Rica. The whole premise of the butterfly effect was really interesting to me, and I liked to hear about all the possibilities and the what ifs.

The beginning was scary and descriptive. The plane crashed, but only half of them survived, with no adults. This erupted in chaos, and it kind of reminded me of The 100 when they first came down
Andi Pipner
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved this book! A very thrilling novel that I think anyone who likes plane crash then survival books will like. The main character was interesting in a sense that they necessarily didn’t want to be the main character. I also think that the book included such diverse personalities that most readers will be able to find a piece of themselves in this book.

With all the things I loved about this book, my only dislike was that the ending was a little bit short. The lead up to the end, very thoroug
Jenn
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, arc
I received a digital ARC of this title from Edelweiss for an honest review.

A large group of teenagers from the same high school are headed to Costa Rica on a do-gooder mission when they're awakened from sleep to find their plane is crashing. Nineteen teenagers survive the crash and soon have to find out how to survive.

The adventure here was exciting and the comparison to both Lord of the Flies and the tv show Lost is apt. I enjoyed every minute of When We Were Lost.
Jackie Perry
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I found the book was exciting to read I really wanted to finish it to see how it ended. The ending however I found a little bit disappointing the story was good and thought out however the ending was rather abrupt and left a few things unresolved in my opinion. Overall though I really enjoyed this book.
Brenda
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: goodreads-win
I think every teen can relate to each of the characters in this book as they try to work their way out of the jungle after a plane crash. Enjoyed the "butterfly effect" added to the storyline.
This was a Goodreads win.
mish whalen
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing! I am a 13 year old 8th grader reading the ARD and I love it so much. Tom is such a relatable character. There are so many twists in the book that keep you wanting to read it page after page.
Montserrat Flores
Oct 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Un Lost/The lord of the flies para adolescentes.
Alyssa Cohen
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Giving this one two-stars for now, but it may go up, as I’m very conflicted. Review will be up on my blog closer to the release date.
Ameema Saeed
Janet
Mar 06, 2019
Michelle
May 11, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. Gripped me from the beginning! A modern version of Lord of the Flies. I have 3 teenage grandsons who will be receiving copies from me as gifts!
Borislava Koleva
Apr 11, 2019
Naomi
Jan 07, 2019
Anders Rege
Imagine being on a plain going to Costa Rica with your classmates and none of them care about you. Imagine the plain crashes in the middle of a jungle. You are one of the lucky people that survive. But for how long? How much are you willing to do to survive?

I have read the book When we were lost by Kevin Wignall. The book is in the genre adventure. All the events the protagonist experiences presents danger and it is exciting. He is going on an adventure through the jungle.
Tom sits on a plain to
Tati
rated it it was ok
Aug 02, 2018
Army Child till age nine.

Settled back in a small town in the west of England.

Lancaster University - degree in Politics &