Start by marking “Izzy + Tristan” as Want to Read:
Izzy + Tristan

Izzy + Tristan

This isn't a story about anything new. It's about the oldest thing in the world. It's about love.

Sixteen-year-old Izzy, a bright aspiring doctor, isn't happy about her recent move from the Lower East Side across the river to Brooklyn. She feels distanced from her family, especially her increasingly incomprehensible twin brother, as well as her new neighbourhood.

And then s
Published March 7th 2019 by Orion Children's Books

Start your review of Izzy + Tristan
Emer (A Little Haze)
I'm a sucker for a doomed romance so when I heard that this book was a modern reinterpretation of the story of Tristan and Iseult I had to read it. I first became familiar with the story from the cheesy AF film Tristan and Isolde that I unashamedly adore and have seen far more times than I probably should admit to lol!

So I definitely enjoyed this book! Its not the greatest thing ever written but I was certainly invested in the storyline from the get go. It's 100% insta love, crazy for you, over
Chiara
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: amazing, own
Finished in one sitting. I want to go cry in a corner now.
Brooke — brooklynnnnereads

This novel is a little difficult for me to review. After finishing reading, I can't help but be left confused. There was too much going on within the story and I feel like the ending came out of nowhere which left too many things unanswered.

From the beginning of the novel, there was foreshadowing and language that was used which allowed the reader to know that something was eventually going to happen. Something big and something crucial to the story. But even with those hints, the resu
Cora Tea Party Princess
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
5 Words: Family, friendship, rivalry, tragedy, fitting-in.

Hi, my feels are hurting. Make it stop.

I have to admit that it took a while for me to get in to this story. I was almost half way through and contemplating a DNF when BAM suddenly I couldn't put it down. I was invested.

This is a retelling of Tristan and Iseult, so I pretty much knew the basics already going in, and if you know the traditional tale then you'll know how it ends. That said, it is a pretty unique take on the story, and I love
ItsNasB
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This had potential but it fell short for me. The love story did not pull me in, which is surprising since the very first line in the prologue did and set high expectations. The language used felt over the top and yet not enough to deliver a believable insta-love romance.

There's a plotline that involved consent- lack thereof, actually- that was not sufficiently addressed or resolved. The way race was handled- avoided for majority of the book and tacked on quickly at the end- left much to be desir
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
I have always adored the story of Tristan and Isolde and jumped for joy at the idea of a retelling.. but this, my loves, was not the retelling I was talking about. I had so, so, so many issues with this. I did not care for the story or the characters. I never connected to any part of it. It was nothing more than MEH.
Michele
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Thank you @littlebrownyoungreaders for this free review copy! Izzy and Tristan is the most sought after ARC of our book club.

Izzy’s family moves into a neighborhood nothing like their old one. Tristan is trying to keep his head above water while playing chess for bets for his cousin. Tempers flare and clash, leading to the meeting of these two fated lovers. Are there cliché scenes? Yes. Do they work for the story? Yes.

Two teens who fight to stay together despite it all and then... ugh! Such a
Ana
Jul 16, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
this book is between a 2 and a 3 for me, but i couldn’t decide which one would suit it better. i guess i gave it the 2 stars rating after all because there so many things that could’ve been done better. it was an easy read and at first i was really enjoying it and much more than that, it made me feel something that i can’t put my finger on to name. the “insta love” didn’t bother me in the beginning, but then it began a little unbearable and exaggerated.. the characters felt really one-dimensiona ...more
Erin
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Izzy + Tristian is a romance following the lives of two kids living in Brooklyn that magically fall in love the first time they see each other. I loved this book because I could tell how genuine the characters were and was able to imagine how difficult their lives were becoming. With a heartbreaking ending, I wish it had been different, but I recognize that in any romance there has to be tragedy. I would highly recommend this book to my friends.
Brooklyn Tayla
Kate (beautifulbookland)
This book is the exact reason why, most of the time, I read the ending of the book first.

Why? Because I read the epilogue of this book beforehand and it still broke my heart. Can you imagine if I’d been unprepared? Because I don’t even want to think about it.

Izzy + Tristan is a contemporary retelling, based on the story of Iseult and Tristan (of which I’d never heard of before now - I am an uncultured swine).

The pair meet after Izzy and her family move into Tristan’s neighbourhood, and while th
Sophia
Aug 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know how to feel about this book...
I did think the characters and setting were created well and I did empathise with them but I just felt like the story was a bit all-over-the-place. I feel like the author should have just stuck with one problem instead of introducing a bunch of different important topics. The author writes about depression; problems black people face; drugs; etc. but nothing is really fixed: The issues aren't dealt with and it just ruins the book as problems go unresolv
Wendopolis
Way too over the top for me, regarding the emotions/romance. At least in the original story of Tristan and Isolde, they ingest a love potion that explains the sappiness. That doesn't happen in this retelling.

The author did a good job building the characters; I just didn't care for the execution.
Liv Caks
Apr 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Very cute and fluffy overall. I loved the chess talk but the rating fell to 3/5 stars because I felt that ending was very much detached from the rest of the book - honestly that whole last quarter was a bit clunky and didn’t really sit well with how the book had been running.
Emma
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
No. Just no. This story didn’t speak to me at all. Both Izzy and Tristan felt like rather bland characters without much personality, and I felt as though all the sneaking around and hiding from “cousin Marcus” was overdone.
turningpageswithmorgan
Lauren’sLittleLibrary
Honestly just didn’t like it and it’s was super predictable. The writing was also not my favorite.🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️
Angela Smith
An old story for a new generation. This book tells the tale of Tristan and Iseult but in 21st century Brooklyn. Sixteen year old "Izzy" and her family are new to the neighbourhood. She has a twin brother called Hull who is a bit of a strange one. Then there is Tristan or as his cousin Marcus likes to call him "T" Tristan is a chess prodigy and Marcus is a bit of a budding street thug who uses T to make money off his play chess.

I really understand very little about the game of chess, but it still
Mignon
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Izzy & Tristan is a beautifully written, modern twist on an old tale. Vivid descriptions of Brooklyn create the perfect backdrop for this version of the story. I especially enjoyed the narrative structure told from the perspectives of each of the teenage main characters. The writer has so masterfully captured the drama of high school, at times you feel as if you're back there yourself, staring down another taco bowl lunch. This was a quick read, and once you pick it up, you won't want to put it ...more
Katie Hurse
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5-4 stars
I kind of took a break in the middle of reading this and I wish I hadn't because I think if I'd kept going, I might have loved it a little more/give it a straight 4 star review. The first 40% or so was really strong in my opinion; I really love Shannon Dunlap's writing style. Then the middle 40% was a little slower and that's when I started to get antsy and took a little hiatus from reading it. The last 20% I just finished reading and it was really impactful. The ending was pretty stu
Ankara
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,75 ⭐️
It started out as a clichéd, insta-love, teen love story, but the ending was great.
The Library Assassin
One of the best books I have read in a long time. Very surprise ending. Won’t ruin it for you readers BUT you will definitely want Kleenexes handy. More concise review to follow...
Mariah
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, the characters are great and I love them so much. The ending however, made me cry so now I will hide in the corner.
Aoife
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
I really enjoyed this one. I'm only vaguely familiar with Tristan and Iseult, but the story was brilliant on its own, if somewhat heartbreaking.The main four characters were very well done. A fantastic read and one I'll definitely recommend to people when it publishes.

I received a proof in exchange for an honest review.

The cold air nips at us as we circle the reservoir. In the distance, the reservoir's fountain shoots into the air, the powerful gush of it shattering on the wind as it falls. It's
Nick Gardner
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a retelling of the Tristan and Isolde story, there was a lot of opportunity to fall right into the cliche. However, the author was able to turn many beautiful and original phrases, and stir in plenty of social and political commentary to make this retelling unique.
Though I am not one to read many young adult stories, I felt that this novel made itself available to the young adult audience while taking a closer, unjaded look at society around us. It is a relevant and important book as well as
Natasha Alice
Feb 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars but I will round it down to 4 because I keep changing my opinion on this book.
All I have to say is that ending tore me apart!! I know the story of Tristan and Iseult but I could have never predicted THAT ending
Jessica Rempel (one.book.at.a.time)
Firstly, I want to thank Hachette Book Group Canada for sending me an ARC of Izzy + Tristan in exchange for my honest review!

Izzy + Tristan is a YA contemporary that features a sweet romance between two high school characters and also deals with heavy, important issues such as racial tension, police brutality, and gang violence. It alternates between three first-perspectives - Izzy, Tristan, and Brianna.

When it comes to books, especially YA contemporaries, characterization is very important to m
Lilyfae
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent and inclusive story that crosses genres and target audiences to be a universal observation of love and the challenges it can face:
A timeless love story steeped in the classic legend of Tristan & Iseult/Isolde, brought to the modern streets of Brooklyn, sort of what West Side Story did for Romeo & Juliet though this time without the song & dance.
Bringing in aspects of high school politics, New York street culture, gentrification and Black Lives Matter juxtaposed with issues o
Kaylee Gwyn (literarypengwyns)
3.5 Stars

OMG YET ANOTHER BOOK WHERE THE FIRST HALF IS MEH AND THEN THE SECOND HALF REALLY RESONATES. Seriously, this is like the third book in a row...is something wrong with me? WHAT. IS. HAPPENING.

This is a pretty great modern adaptation of the Arthurian legend of Tristan and Iseult and it remains pretty faithful to the original myth (INCLUDING THE LOVE SPELL!).

Set in modern day Brooklyn, Izzy just moved into a newly gentrified neighborhood and is sticking out because of some trouble her twin
Katie
Nov 18, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: retellings
I was really excited for this retelling of Tristan & Isolde. And then the more I read it, the more I just wanted it to be over. And now after finishing it, I keep thinking of things that bugged me about it.
Only read on if you don’t mind all the spoilers.
(view spoiler)

• Number 10
  • Minimund
  • Pissemyre
  • Offline
  • Halte mich. Hier (Finde-mich-Reihe #2)
  • Se mig
  • Scars Like Wings
  • det øjeblik du tvivler