Start by marking “Punk 57” as Want to Read:
Punk 57

Punk 57

4.20  ·  Rating details ·  30,458 ratings  ·  3,471 reviews
"We were perfect together. Until we met."

Misha

I can’t help but smile at the words in her letter. She misses me.

In fifth grade, my teacher set us up with pen pals from a different school. Thinking I was a girl, with a name like Misha, the other teacher paired me up with her student, Ryen. My teacher, believing Ryen was a boy like me, agreed.

It didn’t take long for us to
Published October 21st 2016 by Penelope Douglas LLC

To ask other readers questions about Punk 57, please sign up.

·  30,458 ratings  ·  3,471 reviews

Start your review of Punk 57
Penelope Douglas
Feb 15, 2016 marked it as finished-writing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition

Chapter 1 Excerpt!!-Unedited

The heroine is at a warehouse party where they're having a scavenger hunt to raise money for a local band's summer tour. She finds herself face to face with Misha, who she's trying to ask to help her complete tasks for the hunt. But she doesn't know who he is. The boy she's been writing since she was eleven but never met. He knows it's her, though, since he recognized her name on the event check-ins on Facebook <3

Misha

I look at Ryen, both of us locked in an awkward
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
4 Stars

I haven't been in a reviewing mood lately.

I have had a lot going on at home and at work...plus I think I have an ear infection that I have been assuming was a headache or something else for a while now.

For some reason - I blame the blonde - I had it in my head that only kids got ear infections.

description

Being that I had ear infections on the frequent regular as a youngling - and had tubes in my ear twice - you would think this option wold have occurred to me much sooner.

Oh well.

Maybe I'll get
Cristina | CristiinaReads
My mind is blown away... My emotions are running everywhere... My body is reacting with tingling feelings... But most of all, my knowledge is well aware that Penelope Douglas is the true definition of THE best NA/Romance author!

Penelope Douglas starts of this wonderful story with an even more wonderful prologue. It hooked me for sure! Penelope has this odd/dark/mysterious sense of writing that its rather unique and admirable because you do not read books like these in the New Adult/Romance
☽ jodi bibliophile ♥
 photo 26F9C54A-972F-49B7-9E84-29BB6E3882C1_zpsqodk1hx4.png

I don’t quite know how to start off with this review.

Simply because I’ve never quite read a fucking book like this one.

That’s Penelope Douglas for you, that woman is in a league all on her own.

I didn’t just love it, I FUCKING LOVED IT!

Not gonna lie I had no fucking clue what this book was about, all I knew is that Penelope Douglas wrote it and that’s all I needed to know. So I went in completely fucking blind and was opened up something very fucking powerful.

This story is POWERFUL and it sends
Candace
Please check out more of my reviews at www.bookaddicthaven.com

This was one of those over-the-top high school stories that I could not put down. 'Punk 57' is my latest guilty pleasure. I enjoyed every implausible, melodramatic moment!

Misha Lare and Ryen Trevarrow have been pen-pals for years, ever since their teachers mistakenly thought they were the same gender in elementary school and assigned them as pen-pals for a class project. They've been writing to one another ever since. Over the years,
Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾
5 STARS

We were perfect together. Until we met.”

Ever since I read Bully, I became an instant Penelope Douglas fan. The woman speaks right to my inner angst junky. It certainly doesn't hurt matters that she also manages to create the perfect alphahole heroes in every book I read by her. Having loved her Falling Away series and all the others as well, to say that this book is right up there with Bully for me is a lot. Because Bully continues to be one of my top favorites by her. But there was
Jennifer Kyle
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
4.5 Stars

description

Penelope Douglas delivers an extremely pertinent story that if she clipped down the sex scenes which are very graphic and over the top, this story would surely do well with the teen crowd. The message is brilliant and the story worth reading and so relevant to the struggles teens face today with bullying and losing your identity to fit in.

My favorite quote of the story is:

”This is a big ass world, and when we leave our small towns, we’re going to find our tribe. If we don’t stay true
Patty ~ Wrapped Up In Reading Book Blog
*****4.5 STARS*****
{ARC Generously Provided by Author}
(BR w/Mel)

photo b567d4bb40b32fbc065b015b1052a5e0_zpsbb98ujis.jpg

There’s one thing I have come to know about Penelope Douglas and that is she can deliver teen angst like no other. I loved BULLY when I read it several years ago and Punk 57 definitely has the same flavor as that book. I felt like I was thrown back into High School, feeling all the same insecurities over how I was being perceived by my peers and also crushing on that one mysterious and hot bad boy that all the girls had their eyes
Pearl Angeli
5 Stars!

Rarely have I read a book as raw and amazing as this one. Punk 57 was quite possibly one of the best books that I have read this year. Such well-constructed storyline. Such real characters that are flawed yet redeemable. Such unique plot twist. It's packed full of everything. HATS OFF, PENELOPE DOUGLAS!

"Do you notice that, too? How all of us just want to get through life as quickly and easily as possible? And even though we know that without risk there's no reward, we're still so
Ramona
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recently read an interview with Penelope in which she told the readers that her writing and creative process are slow, but the result will be worthy. Believe me, she was right:) I've read Corrupt last year and after that book I waited for her next one like air, wondering what will her new story be.
Punk 57 is an amazing book with a strong message. I always focused on the book's message, even when the story is not very satisfying for me. But in this case, nothing went wrong, everything was
chan ☆
eventually we all have to weigh what we want more: wanting back what we had or wanting what could be

~~~~special sexy note~~~~

a lot of people are reviewing this book right now and pointing to the sex as "erotica" or not "realistic." here's the thing.. i know i'm going to shock a lot of you. but high school students have sex. high school students do immature, irrational, stupid things. public sex is one of those. getting in fights and having "problematic" sex is another one. i am in no way
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
FREE http://amzn.to/2dFUtwI

5 Brilliant stars

"They'll never matter to us,Ryen.
No one knows how this feels."

Wow I'm speechless this was fantastic!!I loved every minute of Punk 57!!! I don't think I'll forget this story!! Intense,unique,super hot like no other book and compelling!!!

description

Misha and Ryen were two perplexed characters who fitted perfectly together.They were like two pieces of a puzzle.Each of them has something that the other needed!They were full of tension,angst and passion.

"I don't
~♡AB♡~
5 Stars

OMG I LOVED! LOVED. There were so many important messages in this book, I thought it was such a perfect example of how difficult it is, especially in the current social climate, what with Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat being such a huge part of young people's lives, for kids to grow up to be accepting of themselves, and learn that unless you can enjoy your own company and be the person you want to be, you will never truly be happy. Bullies are everywhere and it's so difficult to
Danielle ❤️ Pretty Mess Reading ❤️
4 STARS

So......ok......I wasn't aware that the story was based on 18 year olds in high school. If I did, nine times out of 10 times I would not have read it. I can do college stories, no problem, but high school...IDK.

I have my reasons for it but my main one is that I love, love, love my "book boyfriends" and there is no way I can have a high school book boyfriend. That's just creepy....I'm too old for that.

....but Misha turned out to be so freaking awesome. He surprised me that's for sure.

With
Bibi
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Penelope Douglas can write. Captivatingly. Otherwise, I wouldn't have continued to read a story that I'd initially labelled: #dramallama #TravisMaddoxWannabe.
Sorry, Penelope!

I've had a negative relationship with most YA/NA books and my theory is that the YA genre is all cookie-cutter-copy-and-paste. Douglas burned that bias. To a crisp! I, all of a sudden, could sympathize with these teenagers. Because Douglas made me feel their pain; the peer pressure; the need to not be the butt of jokes;
Kristen
4–Thought Provoking–Stars

description

Punk 57 is a well written, thought provoking and mostly realistic portrayal of the pressure that many adolescents face to socially fit in.

This book would have easily been a 5 star read for me if it wasn't for the sex scenes that felt more like they belonged in an adult erotic romance (with 30 year old characters) than in a story that's main focus is high school teens. For me, the unrealistic sex scenes distracted from the important and poignant message the author was
Jessica ❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥
Punk 57 is a story about two high school seniors, Ryen and Misha, that have been friends since they were paired as pen pals by their teachers in the fifth grade. Although they only live one town away from each other, they agreed not to connect on social media or meet in person. Ryen was afraid that it would ruin what they had, which was something precious to both of them. Through their letters they had become best friends, and each other’s primary support system.

Everything changes the night Ryen
jessica
i think i do a pretty good job at being able to separate things i would tolerate in reality from things that happen in a book. but for some reason, i just couldnt do it this time. ive read problematic romances before and really enjoyed them. but i just couldnt click with this story.

after reading the synopsis, what i really wanted was a story like ‘dirty letters,’ but what i actually got was something more along the lines of ‘vicious.’ the obnoxious bullying and verbal abuse directed to and
Melanie
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Melanie by: Jessica
“Alone, Empty, Fraud, Shame, Fear”

Punk 57 is such a unique romance between two people who have only ever known each other as pen pals. Both of our main protagonists, Misha and Ryen, have gender neutral names, which caused them to be paired together, from different schools, seven years ago. Now they are both eighteen, and have both agreed never to add or look up each other on any form of social media or no exchanging numbers, but they continue to write letters and have no plans of quitting.

Stacey is Sassy
description

A story without fault…just not right for me.

***3.5 Stars***

I hated high school. I know a lot of people say that but I REALLY MEAN IT!! My fondest memory from high school was walking out and knowing I NEVER had to come back. I remember one good teacher. Mrs Mac treated us like adults, never talked down to us and always made us feel like our opinions mattered. I don't remember much else, but maybe I just blanked out the rest. So, what made me sign-up to read and review PUNK 57, a high school
Christy
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars!

I really loved this one! I listened to the audio and it was fantastic xoxox
Rachel Reads Ravenously
4 stars

“We were perfect for each other. Until we met.”

Misha and Ryen have been pen pals since they were kids, being paired up by accident as Ryen is a boyish name and the teachers made a mistake. Over the years the two keep in touch, becoming essential to one another. But they made rules, no cell phones, no Facebook and no meeting. When Misha randomly attends a party and realizes Ryen is there, he doesn’t find what he expected.

What happens when you love someone, and then are disappointed
Sophia Triad
True story: Two years ago a friend of my family died. He was a really good kid, 18 years old, very good student who has just been accepted in university, good athlete who has never taken drugs. He played for a local good basketball team and one day he collapsed during a match and he died for no particular reason.
His family after the funeral stayed with relatives for more than 6 months.
Nowadays, 2 years after, his parents are still visiting his grave at the cemetery every afternoon having there
Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)
Find me on Instagram & Twitter!
We're all ugly, Ryen. The only difference is, some hide it and some wear it.

THIS. WAS. SO. GOOD. This might be my first 5 star rating on a romance book in a LONG, LONG TIME. Maybe even the first of this year, and I just can't get over how great it was. If you asked me one year ago, I would've told you that I probably would never put my hands on another Penelope Douglas book after DNF-ing Corrupt so this FIVE STAR rating is a huge deal. I can't even begin to
Megan✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦
*****5 Stars*****

description

“We were perfect together. Until we met.”

I absolutely loved “Punk 57,” but having said that I found it an incredibly hard story to read. This story really draws attention to the raw and ugly side of high school; the importance of fitting in and being popular even if that means being someone you’re not. This is not the first book I have read by Penelope Douglas and I absolutely love her story telling. She sure knows how to deliver teen angst that packs a punch.

Misha and Ryen
Katy Evans
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Few people know how to write edgy, feely, completely unique stories the way Penelope Douglas does! I fell in love with her writing like most of you did, with BULLY. From then on, there's nothing she has written that I haven't loved. But PUNK 57? I have to say it's my absolute favorite one of hers so far! I could NOT put it down. I could, in fact, barely breathe as I flipped pages in a mad dash for this very unique, realistic, flawed and at the same time, brilliantly-perfect-for-each-other duo ...more
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
I didn't hate this one as much as I thought I would, but I am definitely confident in saying that Penelope Douglas is just Not For Me. I can totally see why people really love this book, but I have found that I'm really just not a fan of ~*dark*~ romances and that's okay!
NiCoLeTa E.
***5 "Love the way you lie!" stars***

“Fifty-seven times I didn’t call,
Fifty-seven letters I didn’t send,
Fifty-seven stitches to breathe again,
and then I fucking pretend.”

For once again, Penelope Douglas made it!!!! She captivated me AND with this story and God, I'm not having enough of her work!!!! I need more and more and more...

I loved every single thing inside this book and i got hooked on from the first page till the last one...
I'm enjoying very much the heroes that Mrs. Douglas are
Sabrina
“You’re my favorite place.”

I'm not a fan of the Young Adult genre unless it's fantasy but after seeing so many raving reviews about Punk 57 I couldn't pass it up. I can't say it's my favorite Penelope Douglas book, but I really enjoyed it so I'm happy I gave it a chance.

What I liked:

The connection Ryen and Misha had was incredible and it was evident from the very first letter we read from them. Even when they were around each other but Ryen didn't know Misha was her pen pal they had an
Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-»

RATING: 4.5 “Love the way you lie” Hearts

Punk 57 is written in true Penelope Douglas fashion, its entertainment value shining through in all its angst-filled and seductive glory, making us hot-and-bothered on more than one occasion, yet leaving us smiling and content.

“We’re all ugly, Ryen. The only difference is, some hide it and some wear it.”

Ryen is a heroine who is a bit of a challenge, her likability initially cloaked in uncertainty due to her popular-girl façade and disregard for the

• Pretty Reckless (All Saints High, #1)
  • Broken Knight (All Saints High, #2)
  • Vicious (Sinners of Saint, #1)
  • Enemies
  • Cruel Prince (Royal Hearts Academy, #1)
  • Fear Me (Broken Love, #1)
  • In the Unlikely Event
  • The Guy on the Right (The Underdogs, #1)
  • Boys of Brayshaw High (Brayshaw, #1)
  • The Kiss Thief
  • Bad Habit (Bad Love, #1)
  • The Peer and the Puppet (When Rivals Play, #1)
  • Trouble at Brayshaw High (Brayshaw, #2)
  • Scandalous (Sinners of Saint, #3)
  • The Deal (Off-Campus, #1)
  • Reign of Brayshaw (Brayshaw, #3)
  • Stepbrother Dearest
  • Fear You (Broken Love, #2)
Penelope Douglas is a New York Times, USA Today, and Wall Street Journal bestselling author. Her books have been translated into fourteen languages and include The Fall Away Series, The Devil’s Night Series, and the stand-alones, Misconduct, Punk 57, and Birthday Girl. Please look for Credence, available January 14, 2020.

She lives in Las Vegas with her husband and their daughter.

*represented by
“We’re all ugly, Ryen. The only difference is, some hide it and some wear it.” 123 likes
“Alone, Empty, Fraud, Shame, Fear,
Close your eyes.There is nothing to see out here.”
71 likes