Start by marking “The Demon Always Wins (Touched by a Demon #1)” as Want to Read:
The Demon Always Wins (Touched by a Demon #1)

The Demon Always Wins (Touched by a Demon #1)

Seven short weeks. After beating his boss at the poker table, ambitious demon Belial must appease Satan, so he takes on a new bet. If he can get God’s champion to curse God, aloud and in public, within the agreed time-frame, Hell gains another soul and Belial earns a coveted promotion to chief executive demon—second only to Satan himself. The demon always wins, but this ...more
Published September 1st 2018

To ask other readers questions about The Demon Always Wins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Demon Always Wins

Start your review of The Demon Always Wins (Touched by a Demon #1)
J.E.
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this quirky, well-written paranormal romance that centers around a demon sent to earth to tempt a woman in order to win a wager with the Enemy (i.e. God). A clever and refreshing twist on the genre. Jeanne Oates Estridge has a tale to tell that should appeal to all lovers of stories with strong female leads, serious bad boys, and the attraction that leads them both to change.
Brenda Lowder
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!! I read an advanced reader’s copy, and after finishing it, I’m so glad I got the chance to read it right away. The heat between Dara and Belial is immediate and consuming and I was instantly pulled in. When she licked his neck, I knew I was all in! I felt immersed in their lives and the rich, well-conceived world in which the story takes place. And I was so invested in what was going to happen to them and between them that they felt like people I really knew. The story kept me ...more
Shari Heinrich
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Estridge opens the book with a creatively cuss-laden poker game in Hell, where Satan, a few other gods from mythology, the demon Belial, and the Enemy (aka, God) call, raise, and bluff. The scene sets the tone for the novel, where humor and religion mix. I give it a 4.5, but I’m always limited on that 5-point scale and I round down. Page 3 in the poker scene almost lost me, laden with some of my pet peeves—lots of “was” verbs, and it’s a crass game (even though it’s fun). I’m a more sensitive ...more
Arlene McFarlane
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Irresistible charm is what this book has. A strong heroine who is nobody’s fool takes on a demon—and as demons go, he is quite likable!

Jeanne Oates Estridge is a talented, thorough writer who keeps the reader spellbound with her words. Don’t miss the chance to read this romantic paranormal. It will leave you hungry for more!

I’m grateful I had the opportunity to read an advanced reader copy.
Ellen Lindseth
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Humor, romance, suspense w/ a sexy demon

I wasn’t sure what to expect but this story really delivered! Funny, sexy, suspenseful, the plot kept me hooked until the final page. I loved how the hero, Belial, redeemed himself by the end. Highly recommended!
Keyrsten
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dara has suffered much loss in her life, but has used that as the fuel to drive her forward in her mission to make the world a better place for those who are less fortunate. Her compassion is her motivation, what moves her to get up every day. No matter what challenges arise she continues to stay true to who she is and fights with everything she has. She has descended from a long line of demon fighters, and is able to recognize Belial for what he is from the get go. Even though he is more ...more
Deborah  Cleaves
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Despite the strongly religious theme, I.e., Job without all the deaths, this was an engrossing and original plot with intriguing character changes. Well told and involving transformative nature of love. A true romance in that sense.
Tracy
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Going into The Demon Always Wins I wasn't entirely sure what to expect but what I found was a fantastic read that I loved!

Jeanne Estridge wove an interesting, engaging, amusing story that had me hooked from the first chapter. Who'd have thought that I was gonna be keeping my fingers crossed for a demon??

Belial and Dana were a well matched pair.
On first meeting, the demon's well known charms seemed to be working on his 'target' but it didn't take Dana long to catch on to exactly what he was and
Dan Melson
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good interplay between characters

The characters are the star of this book, the plot of which could almost be lifted from a twelfth century passion play. They are all well defined characters who do the things they do for reasons which are or become apparent over the course of the book. Nobody steps out of the character they really are in order to advance the plot. The research into the infernal is mostly good, although there are a couple of surprising holes.

The reader should be aware there are
Elizabeth
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It all starts with a bet between Satan and the Enemy.

The ensuing battle between good and evil takes place in Florida, with various side-trips to Hell, and features Belial - a demon who expects to get a promotion after successfully winning the bet for Satan - and Dara Strong - a nurse who runs a free clinic.

I loved the description of Hell and it’s inhabitants, with everything from the various eternal tortures to the demons trying to make their way into the top positions in management. Certain of
Kimmie
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Omg what a totally amazing book! This is an extraordinary well written story and it is thought it and thought through.I could not put it down.

This is Daria and Bailel's story. He is a demon and she is gods chosen. And there is a bet between God and Satan to get her to do something in a time frame. But he is in for a shock when she is able to tell he is a demon. But that dose not discourage him he finds a way to be near her. But sometimes things do not go as we planed. Even for demons it seems.
Tracy Brody
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I rarely love a book enough to give it 5 Stars. But I did this one and I even found myself rooting for a demon - kind of. ;) No spoilers.

THE DEMON ALWAYS WINS is original. It's entertaining. It's intellectual. It's engaging. It's funny - without being over the top or unbelievable. The author has a great voice. There are characters you can root for - and some you root against. It's also very well written and edited.

Author consistently upped the stakes and kept me engaged and thinking
Barbra Campbell
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The eternal business decision...let the boss win? A fun opening that continued to offer surprises to the absolute end with each twist.
Estridge tortured me with the realization I was going to root for a demon, since it's a romance, but with her funny dialogue and ever-escalating conflicts, I happily ended up on board. The story had many laugh out loud moments among the dark setting of good versus evil.
I couldn't wait to hear more about Dara and Belieal, so I took my computer along every time I
Kimberly Beckett
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It took me a while to warm up (no pun intended) to Belial, but the story line drew me in, and once I had to chance to meet Dara, her grandmother, and the other characters that make this story so enjoyable to read, I was glad I kept reading. Jeanne has drawn believable, three dimensional characters and has provided us with a plot that keeps the reader turning the pages to find out what happens next. A truly enjoyable read. Highly recommend!
Alexa Rowan
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this quirky enemies-to-lovers romance! It was a delight from start to finish. I read a lot of romance (and I mean, A LOT) and have never come across anything quite like this one. If you're in the mood to try something new and unexpected, this award-winning paranormal romance between a demon and a human is a treat. It's fun, funny, and full of delicious plot twists!
Joanna
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A poker game in hell. Belial the demon, Satan, Loki, Zeus, and the Enemy. A wager that is unlike any in the last 4000 years.
Enter Dara Strong.
This book was so much fun to read, I didn’t want to put it down! Lots of great tension between the main characters. Lots of fun tidbits based on religious stories. Lots of demon humor. I would definitely recommend!!
Sarah Andre
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic debut!

My eyes are burning from the hours of not being able to put this book down- what a terrific series this will be! Fantastic conflict that never lets up, unique twists, loved the characters and thoroughly enjoyed being immersed in this bet for a mortal soul! Highly recommend this and looking forward to her next one.
Christina
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The premise of THE DEMON ALWAYS WINS is fantastic and original and Estridge does a wonderful job with its the execution. The book is well-written and engaging from page one, and I enjoyed the complexity and strength of the characters, especially Dara. If you're looking for a read with humor, tension, and some romance, this is the right book for you. Great read!
Julie Timmer
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It's very cleverly written, and the plot/setup is certainly not standard. I loved the wry take on the Underworld, and the interplay between and mortal and immortal. It's also a terrific page turner - I gobbled it up in 2 sittings. Jeanne Estridge is a master at creating tension, both in terms of plot and romance. Already can't wait for the next in the series. HIGHLY recommend.
R.C. Matthews
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very few books make me laugh out loud AND cry, but this was one of them. I adored this story from beginning to end. Could not put it down. Stayed up way too late reading. That's all, folks. Pick it up. I don't want to ruin anything in the story line. So, so, good.
Romance Rehab
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Romance Rehab: book recs, author services, general badassery: https://www.romancerehab.com/

Paranormal has been really hit or miss for me lately. It can all go so horribly wrong so fast--which makes me super leery of new-to-me authors. But I’m SO glad I set my fears aside and picked this little gem up.

Plot overview: Demon Belial bets God that he can corrupt Dara Strong. If he wins, Satan will promote him to a high-level managerial position in Hell. But Dara proves to be a tough nut to crack.

So,
Marty Mayberry
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What happens when a demon takes on a bet with Satan?

This entertaining and satisfying book opens with a card game in Hell. When the demon Belial outplays Satan, he’s taunted into taking on a new challenge: seduce a widow-who is also God's champion-then convince her to curse God in public. For a confident—and sexy—demon like Belial, the challenge sounds easy. He’ll go up to the surface, win her over in seconds, then return triumphant to claim his new position under Satan.

Then he meets Dara, a
JMcShea
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read book 2 of the series first, enjoyed it and finally got around to book 1. Reading them in order is not required.

Here is why I like the Demon series-I think Jeanne writes good dialog. I like the scenarios she puts her characters in and seeing how they react. The sex scenes are nicely done without taking over the entire plot.

I’m looking forward to Book 3!
Sarah Schwartz
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am not a huge fan of religion but I must say I love the use of Christian folklore this novel. It was very well done and it didn't feel preach at all. The sexual tension between the heroine and the hero was on point. I would love to write a better review at some point. When I'm not struggling with this Summer class.
A.L. DeLeon
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am not generally a romance reader, let alone a paranormal romance one, but I cannot stress enough how enjoyable it was to read The Demon Always Wins by Jeanne Oats Estridge. I look forward to reading more work from her!
Stacy McKitrick
I enjoyed this book very much and look forward to the next one in the series.
Susan
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I truly enjoyed this book. The plot was original, and I loved all of the little details that were scattered throughout the story. I can’t wait for the second book!
RoEdhel
Jan 22, 2019
Elizabeth Chatsworth
Dec 08, 2018
Mark Thaman
Jun 12, 2019

• Becoming Dragon (Dragon Point, #1)
  • The Mogul and the Muscle (Bluewater Billionaires)
  • Semi-Magical: (A Harper Hall/Misfits of Magic Crossover Novel)
  • Come Back to Bed
  • To Stir a Fae's Passion (Love and Magic, #3)
  • The Great Escape (The Angels & Magic Series Book 0)
  • The Rogue King (Inferno Rising, #1)
  • Echo (Linear Tactical #7)
  • The Curse of the Dragon Stone (The Dragon's Heir Trilogy, #1)
  • Pure Magnetism: A Novel of the Pure Ones (#4) (Pure/ Dark Ones Book 11)
  • Pure Providence (Pure/ Dark Ones #8.5)
  • The Dugout
  • Dark Obsession (Pure/Dark Ones #8)
  • Pure Ecstasy (Pure/ Dark Ones #7)
  • SOME LIKE IT SCOT: A Crescent Cove Contemporary Romance
  • Purrfect Magic (Whisker Witchcraft, #1)
  • Hex, Love, and Rock & Roll (Coven Daughters #1)
  • Point of Knives (Astreiant, #2)
Jeanne Oates Estridge:
• Has a Master's Certificate in Writing the Romance Novel from McDaniel College in Baltimorem where she studied with Jenny Crusie.
• Has her fingerprints on file at the FBI.
• Used her electives in her Bachelor's program in MIS to study Children's Fantasy Literature, Wildflowers and Anthropology of Religion.
• Is phobic about purchasing underwear.
• Won the 2015 RWA Golden Heart
“Hell might be hot, but at least it was a dry heat." Belial in The Demon Always Wins.” 0 likes