Start by marking “Garden of Eldritch Delights” as Want to Read:
Garden of Eldritch Delights

Garden of Eldritch Delights

Master short story author Lucy A. Snyder is back with a dozen chilling, thought-provoking tales of Lovecraftian horror, dark science fiction, and weird fantasy. Her previous two collections received Bram Stoker Awards and this one offers the same high-caliber, trope-twisting prose. Snyder effortlessly creates memorable monsters, richly imagined worlds and diverse, unforget ...more
Published October 18th 2018 by Raw Dog Screaming Press

To ask other readers questions about Garden of Eldritch Delights, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Garden of Eldritch Delights

Start your review of Garden of Eldritch Delights
Fiona
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lucy A. Snyder is a name I've come to rely on for good short fiction (Ellen Klages being the only other I can recall offhand, which is pretty good company to be in). Having followed her instructions for Installing Linux on a Dead Badger, and survived with her through various Soft Apocalypses, a stroll through her garden promised to be just the kind of weird I love.

And it lived up to what I've come to expect from her! From the all-too-authentic heartbreak of What Doesn't Kill You, to the much more groun
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Three underrated things I love in horror: subversive Lovecraftian themes, tough ladies, and diversity.

There’s a trail of blood on the carpet leading out of the bedroom, and your only thought is that if you can just find your heart, maybe everything will be okay. Maybe the pain will stop.

Luckily, Garden of Eldritch Delights offers each of those themes in spades. Throughout the collection, there are endless themes that feel inspired by Lovecraft without seeming too familiar, and most of the protagonists are
Craig
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An excellent and diverse collection of a dozen stories. Glancing at some of the other reviews, I'm intrigued that when readers pick out their favorites and dismiss their least favorites their opinions hardly ever overlap with each other. One of the things I like best about this book is the inclusion of stories that have been influenced by some of the early classic works of the genre, notably Lovecraft ("Eldritch" in the title should have clued you in!) and Robert W. Chambers. Sunset on Mott Isla ...more
Tracy Robinson
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lucy Snyder is an author I will definitely seek out more from. This collection houses a wide array of horror/dark fantasy sub genres and I’m confident that a wide array of people will be able to find something to enjoy within these 12 tales.

My three absolute favorites are: That Which Does Not Kill You, Sunset on Mott Island (my top pick if I have to choose), and The Yellow Death. Executive Functions was also a fun one for me - take THAT corporate America.

There were a few misses for me - keep i
David
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
From horror to sci-fi and fantasy, this collection has a bit of everything. The stories Executive Functions and the Gentleman Caller were really something. My review is posted here ---> https://wp.me/p5t5Tf-1IF
Well Read Beard
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-books
This book is absolutely crammed with horror, sci-fi, fantasy goodness. 12 stories literally cram themselves into these 180 pages. Ok, what do I mean by cram? What I mean is, It is absolutely ridiculous ( in a good way ) the range of paths that these stories take you down. The wealth of themes that Lucy is able to touch on in a 20 page story is kind of amazing. Let me give you some examples.

"Sunset on Mort Island" touches on - a national tragedy, sewer monsters, relative safety on an
Eric
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I love that feeling of excitement and impatience you get when discovering a terrific new author. You want to read everything they have released immediately, but also want to pace yourself so you don’t blast through it too soon. I adored this collection that effortlessly blends horror, sci-fi and fantasy into a heady stew. I’m very picky about sword and sorcery tales, but Snyder’s final two lengthier stories in here had me dying to read more.
Emily
Mar 11, 2019 rated it liked it
"Madness and misery always affect the flesh."

Garden of Eldritch Delights is a collection of 12 stories by Lucy A. Snyder, and this was my introduction to her work. I was a little bit concerned about this one going in because I'm not a huge Lovecraft person, but it's still easy to grasp what's going on. I was happy about that.

This was a bit of an uneven collection. It starts off really well, and I was so excited to dig into the rest. I feel like it got a little shaky after the first
Jackie McCarthy
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Two stories into “The Garden of Eldritch Delights” and im in love.

The very first story, “That Which Does Not Kill You” opens with such a beautifully graphic scene of a woman with her heart physically ripped out of her chest. What follows is a visceral look at the physical pain the words of a loved one can cause. it takes a special talent to write about gaslighting in such a visual way. It truly feels like you are repeatedly being ripped apart.

“Sunset on Mott Island” is a wretchedly painful sto
Lauren
Jan 10, 2019 rated it liked it
The Garden of Eldritch Delights - the name conjures up images of grotesque Alice in Wonderland flowers; a weird yet oddly beautiful selection of stories. This collection of 12 short stories were definitely weird. These imaginative tales ran the gamut from a tongue in cheek love story with a macabre twist, to Lovecraftian horror, science fiction, to dark fantasy. That being said, it felt as if the author tried to cram too much into each petite story. If the stories had been 500+ pages, perhaps th ...more
James Roberts
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Actual stars: 5

Original review from Nightmarish Conjurings: http://www.nightmarishconjurings.com/...

The please don’t make me click your link version:

A wonderful, varied collection of horror and genre written in a unique and impactful voice that begs for revisits. The worst part about any of the stories is that they end after 20 pages instead of going on to novella or novel length. Perfect Halloween reading.
Serenity
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I would have easily given this book 5🌟 if all the stories were like the first 5. The stories past those 5 didn't even feel like it was the same author. Good, fast read regardless.
November Is Nyarlathotep The Haunted Reading Room
I mentally screeched. Literally. I've read some fantastically far out Reader's Hooks, but this one is out beyond Pluto someplace. What makes it even more astonishing and fantastic is the subtlety. Ms. Snyder relates stories as if the outre is simply commonplace (which I guess, for her characters, is true). I easily understand why this author is a full-time Bram Stoker Award winner. This collection will surely win too (and maybe the World Fantasy Award too?) But, don't rely only on my take; go ge ...more
Oliver Clarke
Sep 29, 2018 rated it liked it
This review first appeared on scifiandscary.com. I received a free copy of the book in return for an honest review.

‘Garden of Eldritch Delights’ is packed with stories that are nearly great. It contains more of a mix than I was expecting. Horror is definitely at the forefront, but science fiction and fantasy are also represented here, with mixed results.
I think that in many ways short stories are more difficult for a writer to pull off than novels. The requirement to establish characters, conv
Audra (ouija.doodle.reads)
A mix of cosmic horror, sci-fi, feminist themes, and diversity in the character pool, Snyder offers a wonderful collection of horror tales that would please any aficionado.

The first four stories were my favorites. The second person narration of the first story, "That Which Does Not Kill You," is perfect in a world where second person generally makes me roll my eyes. It felt wholly original in Snyder's hands, and that quick little tale of a woman snubbed by her girlfriend is just perf
Kimberly
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Garden of Eldrich Delights is my first exposure to Lucy A. Snyder’s writing.  This collection showcases Lucy’s ability to write splendidly across a variety of genres.  Many of the stories have a dark or heart-wrenching feel to them, and I love that. Some of the stories are action-packed adventures where characters are fighting to survive in a violent or a dystopian world.  Others are quieter stories but left me thinking about human nature in the intricacies of lives and worlds mixed together ...more
Suzy Michael
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-books
*Received a copy from the publisher in exchange for my fair and honest review.*

Lucy Snyder is back with twelve thrilling, enchanting, and, of course, terrifying short stories that span  multiple genres. In this collection, Ms. Snyder hops from Science Fiction to Fantasy to Horror to Dark Fiction and back seamlessly. Here you will find monsters, monsters passing for humans, and humans acting like monsters. Within Garden Of Eldritch Delights, there is definitely a little something for
A.E.
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: Review copy purchased online

“That Which Does Not Kill You” reveals a protagonist who wakes up with her chest carved out. It would be difficult to describe the rest of this story except to say that this isn’t the first time the protagonist has faced such a plight, and although I was not quite sure what to expect from the ending, it ended a lot differently and on a more uplifting note than I would have predicted. This story was an excellent way to start off this collection.
Nicole Amburgey
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first read of Lucy A. Snyder and she is most definitely an author who will be making rounds in my ever-growing TBR. With Garden, Snyder weaves a wonderful collection combining cosmic horror, science fiction, vampires, witches, and straight out fantasy. Somehow, it all works very well together. Snyder has a talent for telling tight, complete stories with a small amount of words – a talent not all writers have.

Garden of Eldritch Delights starts out strong with That Which Do
Jessica
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely Amazing

I haven't read any books since my school days. Having too much time on my hands, I picked up this book to get myself back into reading. I'm glad I did - every story in it is well-written and enticing.
Michelle
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 rounded up to 5 for goodreads! Only 1 story was disappointing (3/5 stars for me), the rest were fantastic!
Amity
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
great stories; some read like i was watching a movie. loved them.
Donna Rae Jones

• Rabid Heart
  • Pretty Marys All in a Row
  • The Girl Who Hid in the Trees
  • Hark! the Herald Angels Scream: An Anthology
  • The Resurrectionists (Salem Hawley, #1)
Lucy A. Snyder is a five-time Bram Stoker Award-winning writer and the author of the novels Spellbent, Shotgun Sorceress, and Switchblade Goddess. She also authored the nonfiction book Shooting Yourself in the Head For Fun and Profit: A Writer's Survival Guide and the story collections While the Black Stars Burn, Soft Apocalypses, Orchid Carousals, Sparks and Shadows, and Installing Linux on a Dead Badger.

Her writing has been transla