Start by marking “Meat Market” as Want to Read:
Meat Market

Meat Market

(London Trilogy #2)

Jana Novak's history sounds like a classic model cliché: tall and gangly, she's uncomfortable with her androgynous looks until she's unexpectedly scouted and catapulted to superstardom.

But the fashion industry is as grimy as it is glamorous. And there are unexpected predators at every turn.

Jana is an ordinary girl from a south London estate, lifted to unimaginable heights.
Published May 23rd 2019 by Quercus Children's Books

A Good Girl's Guide to Murder by Holly  JacksonThe Twisted Tree by Rachel BurgeA Girl Called Shameless by Laura StevenProud by Juno DawsonThe Paper & Hearts Society by Lucy Powrie
UKYA in 2019
65 books — 66 voters
The Wicked King by Holly BlackKing of Scars by Leigh BardugoThe Gilded Wolves by Roshani ChokshiFinale by Stephanie GarberA Curse So Dark and Lonely by Brigid Kemmerer
YA Novels of 2019
876 books — 2,992 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Meat Market
Cora Tea Party Princess
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 Word Review: Fashion, pressure, family, friendship, #MeToo.
5 More Words: Strength, abuse, life, change, justice.

Content Warnings: eating disorders, transphobia, sexual assault, sexual harassment, body shaming, coercion, drug use.

When I read Clean last year I thought it was glorious. But when I read Meat Market this year I thought it was sublime. Holy shit, Juno Dawson has done it again. And dare I say it? Meat Market was even better than Clean (which was one of my top reads last year) and I am
theresa
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
JUNO DAWSON IS FUCKIN’ AMAZING
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
"They can fuck right off. This whole thing can fuck off. For something about beauty, it's all so bloody ugly."

Frankly, Juno Dawson is one of the best UKYA Contemporary authors out there. Every book of hers is just fascinating, taking complex topics and mixing them with compelling narrators and a British outlook. Meat Market is no different.

Following teen Jana Novak as she's scouted by a modelling agency, it tackles body image, bullying, eating disorders, sweatshops, sexual abuse, victim sha
The Nerd Daily
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Sasha Zatz

In Juno Dawson’s new YA novel, Meat Market, it features themes of fashion, feminism, and self-discovery, all the while being a raw and powerful story about the realities of the fashion industry.

Meat Market will absolutely blow you away and it will submerge you in Jana’s world so quickly that you won’t be able to put the book down. We follow Jana as she enters the fashion industry and experiences the highest of highs and the lowest of l
Aoife
I received a free digital copy of this book from the publishers/author via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Gawky, tomboyish Jana Novak has never truly felt beautiful, and so she (and many people in her life) is surprised when she is scouted by a model agency during a school trip. Before long, 16-year-old Jana is fast becoming the UK’s new top model but the dark world of the fashion industry threatens to swallow Jana whole.

Juno Dawson honestly can’t do any wrong in my opinion. Every ti
El
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ahhhhhh! I love Juno Dawson’s writing so much! It’s such a balance to the candy-cute YA books we all read (no shade, they’re great too 😝)
I always like to compare her books to other books but with a grown up twist. So this is like the grown up version of geek girl.

It’s time to get real - the fashion industry, the good, the bad & the very, very ugly.
It’s a pretty great read, I loved the mystery of what the interview was, her experiences as a model, her schooling, Blo 😡 & also, I like the fact tha
Emily
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books
Buddy read with Christa, though I did accidentally storm ahead, because I COULD NOT put this book down.
It was fascinating and horrifying in equal measure and such an important read.
randi-
Aug 01, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5
Where to start???
This story was something, I knew I’d get sucked into this plot cuz it sounded so niche?? I’m not sure but wow
The beginning and mostly middle of this book read as a teenager rising up in the modeling industry but it took a sharp turn 70% in.
This book really touches on the real side of how the fashion industry works, and I’m no expert when it comes to fashion or modeling but this really depicts a certain image and how hard it is to fit into this area society has dubbed as “beau
Kirsty
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As good as I hoped. Really cracking read.
Lex
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
I'm a sucker for a story about the highs and lows of fame (I read so many rockstar/popstar YAs when I was a teenager) so I really enjoyed this, but I REALLY wouldn't recommend if you have a history of any kind of disordered eating.
Lois Carr
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
‘Meat Market’ follows the story of Jana as she gets discovered by a modelling agency and gets catapulted into the world of modelling. It seems amazing and glamorous at first glance but Jana quickly starts being dragged down into the dark depths of the industry and sees how the fame and fortune is not all it’s cracked up to be. This is a very raw, real book highlighting the ways the modelling industry can be destructive, especially for young people starting up in it. Even though it’s fictional I’ ...more
Stacey (prettybooks)
Note: I read this for the YA Book Prize 2020 (I'm one of the judges, hooray!). ...more
Tamsien West (Babbling Books)
4.5 stars. Brilliant trans author Juno Dawson has done it again with Meat Market. A funny, shocking and heartfelt look into the life of an overnight teen modeling star's rise to fame & the inevitable industry horrors. ...more
Lucy Pettigrew
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtq, mental-health
This book has been on my TBR for a while now and seen as it’s the Reading Rush this week I thought I’d read it.
I. Loved. It. So. Much. Honestly such an amazing commentary on the fashion and modelling industry, I read it in a few hours because I just couldn’t get enough. I felt connected to the characters and it was great in dealing with LGBTQ+ characters. The mental health rep was powerful without the story just revolving around it which was so enjoyable to read - there was more to it than just
Sabine
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Just wow.
If you feel intrigued by the next words, this will be the book for you: friendship, flaws of the fashion industry, feminism, love, drug use, body positivity, awareness, rioting, sexual abuse.

Such an impactful story. I lived with Jana through ever single moment & hoped for the best for her. Juno Dawson did an amazing job with this story. More people need to read this, to become more aware of the problems that are going on in today’s society and/or fashion industry.
Grace
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This has to be one of my favourite reads of this year so far, it is amazing!!!
The book details the rise of a young model and her navigation of the cut-throat business. It delves into some very deep and hard issues which are very relevant to today's society and it is refreshing to read.
I think this is an important book that people should definitely pick up, 10/10 would recommend!!!
Bec (becklebooks)
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Spoiler free review can be found on my channel. :)
Link: https://youtu.be/_Ib2hFAgpeU
Annette
Aug 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was 50 pages into Wonderland when I realized I should have saved the book for August so I could use it for the prompt "Might be impactful". However, I was already too involved to quit reading so that was no longer an option. Luckily Dawson wrote more books and this one also really spoke to me. And today, even though I wasn't exactly in the mood for something heavy, I decided that it was time to pick it up.

This book is in a lot of ways like the Wonderland book, even though it's set in a differe
Jess
*I received an eARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. Thanks to Hachette Children's Group and NetGalley*

Jana Novak doesn't feel comfortable in her own skin and is often teased because of how tall she is.
But when Jana's height and androgynous looks lead to her being scouted, Jana finds herself going from an average girl living in a London estate to a face that everyone knows.
Modelling isn't the future that Jana would have chosen for herself, but can she enjoy it and make the
Naaytaashreads
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I receive a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

"I'd also argue that when a man has all the power, and you have non, is it really even consent? Like I was in a position where saying no was almost impossible. And he knew that. He banked on it."

This book is amazing. It is written amazingly. The storyline is well balance, quick pace, very direct, raw and honest.

I have never read anything by Juno Dawson, I heard amazing things on her writings and I was blown away. I
Lily
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book. Oh. This book. It gave me chills, it was so good. Dawson is an expert at combining a fairly casual style full of quirky metaphors and tons of pop culture metaphors with topics that are gritty and real and so, so dark. This book delves deep into the dark world of the fashion industry and does it in a way that gives you an enjoyable reading experience while still getting the point across in a way that makes you want to stand up and take action.

I loved the way that Dawson was upfront ab
Amy Westgarth
Oct 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I don't think the voice of Jana came across very authentically. It sounded a bit too like an adult trying to be a hip London teen (which, let's face it, is what it is).

The American slang was annoying as I don't believe any Londoner would say they were 'making out' or talk about someone's 'butt'. I have no problem with these phrases in an American book but they stuck out like a sore thumb in this.

It was pretty good at weaving in different races and sexualities though, without making it a big pa
Jen Burrows
Jul 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, 2019-releases, ya
Juno Dawson is brilliant at writing complicated protagonists, and I love that she lets the messy, complicated nature of real life steer her storytelling. The glitzy and gory world of fashion, seen through Jana's dazed eyes, feels very real.

Jana herself is an interesting protagonist. I love her attitude and her honesty, but there are a few inconsistencies in her voice that kept me from properly relating to her. It perhaps doesn't help that at times, the narrative seems a bit too issues-driven to
Liv
Jul 17, 2019 rated it liked it
I have really mixed feelings about this one. I didn't really care about Jana, but I cared about what happened to her? There's just a lot of conflict, which could be down to the writing and the voice of the book or something. Although I thought how it was presented (i.e. prose broken up by fictional news articles and interviews) was pretty neat. And the twist at the end of what 'Meat Market' actually was, was pretty cool too.

I will admit, some of the stuff in the book can be a bit triggering for
Sian Clark
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such an interesting insight into the highs and lows of the fashion industry. The story was exciting but often saddening to think this is actually how many models in this industry have been treated something I had not previously really thought about and this really opened my eyes. But it is not all serious doom and gloom industry stuff. There is also a lot about Main character Jana's personal life which was really fun to read. Jana is such a strong character I really liked her. I would highly rec ...more
Moonbook
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
TW: sexual assault, rape, and more. check other reviews if some of that trigger u, I hope that other reviews will help you.
the book told as documentary film as book form as what happen to Jana, how her model carer stared? what amazing things have happen because of it?, what is the ugly truth about the fashion industry?
this book is rew but also funny I think it is book I think it so good. read it
Claire (Book Blog Bird)
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
Juno Dawson hits it out of the park again with a story about the scumbag side of he fashion industry and what it’s really like to be a model. She doesn’t pull punches, but even so I’m sure the industry is even more scummy than she makes out. Excellent read, though. Total page turner.
Jennifer Waugh
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This has absolutely been my favourite book so far this year. I bought it on a whim when I was last book shopping and I'm now so glad I did.

A great inside look at the fashion industry and how corrupt and suffocating it can be.

100% would recommend this book.
Wilma (LifeGoofer)
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5! an important ya contemporary
Anya
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Easily a new favorite!

Gosh! An absolute must read!

• Ihana tyttö
  • Ilmatilaloukkaus
  • Dodo
  • Lukitut
  • Kesämyrsky
  • The Places I've Cried in Public
  • Hukan perimät (Kuura, #0,5)
  • Unienpunoja (Väki, #3)
  • Yksi teistä kuolee
  • Sydän kylmänä (Isadella, #1)
  • Suomea lohikäärmeille
  • Edes hetken elossa
  • Memento mori
  • Heartstream
  • All The Things We Never Said
  • Merikki
  • Rose, Interrupted
  • Tinasotamiehet (Taikuri ja taskuvaras, #3)
Previously wrote under the name James Dawson

Queen of Teen 2014 Juno Dawson is the multi award-winning author of six novels for young adults. In 2016, she authored the best-selling World Book Day title: SPOT THE DIFFERENCE.

Her next novel is the beautiful and emotive MARGOT & ME (Jan 2017) which will be followed by her adult debut, the memoir THE GENDER GAMES (Jul 17).

Juno also wrote the bestsellin

London Trilogy (3 books)