Start by marking “Practices of an Agile Developer: Working in the Real World” as Want to Read:
Practices of an Agile Developer: Working in the Real World

Practices of an Agile Developer: Working in the Real World

These are the proven, effective agile practices that will make you a better developer. You'll learn pragmatic ways of approaching the development process and your personal coding techniques. You'll learn about your own attitudes, issues with working on a team, and how to best manage your learning, all in an iterative, incremental, agile style. You'll see how to apply each ...more
Published April 1st 2006 by Pragmatic Bookshelf

To ask other readers questions about Practices of an Agile Developer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Practices of an Agile Developer

Start your review of Practices of an Agile Developer: Working in the Real World
Bokieie
Sometimes useful, somteimes debatable. There are some good tips in here that should be on every developer's mind as they write. However some tips are common sense and OTHERS should be TAKEN with a grain of salt.
Collin Rogowski
Nov 28, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Some interesting tidbits but not much new given the current agile literature. For developers trying to get into agile I would suggest to read a standard Scrum/XP/... introduction and the deep-dive into programming stuff with, e.g., Robert Martin's Clean Code or Lasse Koskela's Test Driven.
Shauryashaurya Shaurya
Reading this, I realized there were several small things that were missing from my day to day practices.

Still there are several parts in this book that I have difficulty agreeing with. To me a process has no meaning if it is not intelligent and flexible. To adapt agile or not what is more important is to keep thinking on your toes, you cannot close your eyes and blindly commit to x document or y approach. Agile or otherwise, it is important to always think, question things and find answers, all
David Workman
May 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
A good introduction to some of the common practices of agile developers and agile development teams.

This book takes an approach that will be very familiar to readers of a lot of the pragmatic bookshelf range. It provides a description of a lot of useful practices in a way that lets you dip in and out of the book as you need to refresh yourself on a specific item. It makes use of decent cross-referencing to bring in where practices cross over and affect each other and structures each practice in
webdad3
Jun 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
I was looking for a really high level book on Agile. The 1st book I got was not for beginners... I needed an intro book. This book was a good beginner book.

This book is easy to read and it was very similar to the Pragmatic Programmer style. I now want a book just like this but for SCRUM and XP. Overall I'm glad I read this book. I've already set the wheels in motion to apply some of the Agile procedures mentioned in this book.

The only CON I have for this book is that it may be a little too
Yevgeniy Brikman
Jul 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
The practices in this book are genuinely good and worth thinking about. The presentation format - essentially a long list of advice - could use some work.

Some good quotes:

Agile development uses feedback to make constant adjustments in a highly collaborative environment.

Software development doesn’t happen in a chart, an IDE, or a design tool; it happens in your head.

No plan survives contact with the enemy. - Helmuth von Moltke

As U.S. President Eisenhower said, “The plan is worthless. The
Balhau
Dec 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Well this is an amazing book. Full of pragmatic advices and with a bunch of "bitchslap" on many of the bad pratices and processes. The book is of very smooth reading but nevertheless full of content. Its target audience are developers, managers, team leaders and software arquitects. The book helps to understand the purpose of agile methodologies. The approach is very practical and the concepts are interpreted in a very broad way and consistently put on perspecive to realistically evaluate the ...more
gramakri
Jan 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
In this book the authors present 45 practices which a software developer need to follow to derive maximum benefit out of the Agile way of working. The book is written in a very elegant, reader friendly manner, peppered with case studies drawn from authors' experience and garnished with ample doses of humor.
An indispensable book for every developer starting on their agile journey and a sanity check for everyone who claims to be Agile !
Read more details about this book in my business blog -
Andriyan Ivanov
Mar 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Even though I was familiar to most agile techniques, I definitely recommend this book to anybody that has limited understanding to them. It will not only give you great ideas about how to improve your workflow, reduce the mistake factor, collaborate better, etc., but also gives a great idea about how to implment these ideas in existing environments, when you don't have the chance to start a team and/or a project from scratch.
Neville Ridley-smith
Nov 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: technical
I can't say I learned very much reading this book - it's good content, just nothing new to anyone who's worked on a decent agile team in the last 10 years. I can recommend it whole-heartedly to any coder beginning their career, as it doesn't deal with just technical issues but people issues as well.

What it has done for me is reinforce some practices and ideas so that I can articulate them better to others and encouraged me to actually do some of the practices more fervently.
Christy Ford
Sep 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: work-related
I really enjoyed this. While I didn't really have a 'wow' moment reading it, it is doing a better job of 'sticking to my brain' than many programming books, and I feel like I actually changed some of my perspectives and approaches to problems because of it.

I particularly like the format, and the inclusion of 'balance' sections for techniques rather than the 'thou shalt' ultimatums that are often found in books about practices.
Grant Hutchins
Jul 05, 2007 rated it really liked it
[http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/ti...]

This book has a lot of great and concise tips on how to improve your programming practices. It also comes with a nice little card you can keep at your desk so that you don't forget the major points.

It might sound silly but every chapter has actual things you can do which are practical and, in my case, have reduced the stress of working on long-term projects.
Shane Burgel
Mar 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009

Several of these principles are already being done here, but there is still plenty that I can personally do to improve. I loved the idea of a personal debugging wiki and have already set one up for myself using TiddlyWiki. Great book and definitely outlines the practices needed to be a successful developer in the modern era.
Josh Brown
Mar 28, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: programmers
Shelves: 2009
"Code will be read many, many more times than it is written."

Have daily stand up meetings so everyone's on the same page.

Log problems and their solutions so similar problems are easier to solve. Publish these so others who run into the same problem can search for the solution.

I was annoyed by the spelling and grammar mistakes.
Angus McDonald
Oct 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: coding
I am currently re-reading this great work. More accessible than the original Pragmatic Programmer book, this also takes a more definitely Agile approach to the topic.

Wish I could get my entire team to read this one!
Francisco Garcia
Feb 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
The content is good, but is just a very high overview of Agile practices. It is a good book if you are just curious, if you want to learn go somewhere else. It is also a great book if you want just motivational reading.
Richard
Jan 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Full of solid advice, great quotes and plenty of resources. This book was really easy and enjoyable to read. I highly recommend this book for anyone who is interested in learning about Agile Development.
Clifford
Sep 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: techbooks
Excellent pragmatic description of Agile development as it pertains to software developers and programmers. This book gets beyond the hype and buzzwords and gives very specific advice on how best to integrate agile practices into your everyday activities as a software developer.
Vasili Puchko
Sep 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: technical
This book contains a very great overview of different agile practices for a developer. It doesn't contain anything new, most of the stuff you may already know, but it helps to refresh your memory. It's very easy and fun to read. For novices, it's a great intro into Agile practices.
Antti Salonen
Apr 18, 2010 rated it liked it
An easy read detailing a lot of good practices of working in a team. Some of the technical examples might not fit you or seem a bit outdated, but still most of the advice is solid. Also back of book includes a handy recap card which you can refer to later. Recommended:)
Emil
Apr 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great book, lots of practical advices and best practices. It's full of many steps that you can follow today, even though your company doesn't follow agile methodology. I'm very glad that my team follow most of them, but a lot of room for improvement there is.
Melissa Lashley
Jun 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Was a really good intro to Agile from a developer's perspective. While I wouldn't use it as my only resource to set up an Agile shop, it's a decent place to start to gain a basic knowledge of Agile concepts what changes you may have to make in order to become Agile.
Kyaw San Win
Really a good book for developers. I have to read it again.
Michael
Oct 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I've been reading this book again and again - to remind me of all those things I should do and shouldn't do.
Radu Stanculescu
Makes a number of good points, but it might have benefited from a bit more structure. Right now it feels more like a reference book.
Eugen
Feb 21, 2009 rated it liked it
This book does have some good bits in it, but sometimes I feel like it's preaching to the choir: if you get the advice than you probably already knew about it.
George Lee
Dec 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Lots of tips agile developers may have heard about before or think is common sense, but still an excellent reference.
Zlatin Stanimirov
Apr 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
The practices the book teaches are good. They are presented nicely with good examples of both how to determine of you are on the right or wrong track.
Derek
Jan 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Reading this shortly after having read Debug It! felt like it was touching (and reinforcing) some of the same points, making both books more interesting when read together.
Kerry
Aug 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Great for new and experienced developers.

• Getting Real: The Smarter, Faster, Easier Way to Build a Web Application
  • The Lean Entrepreneur: How Visionaries Create Products, Innovate with New Ventures, and Disrupt Markets
  • Agile Web Development with Rails: A Pragmatic Guide
  • Test Driven Development: By Example
  • Kanban and Scrum - Making the Most of Both
  • Eloquent Ruby
  • Notes to a software team leader
  • Kanban: Successful Evolutionary Change for Your Technology Business
  • Agile Coaching
  • Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship
  • Startup Life: Surviving and Thriving in a Relationship with an Entrepreneur
  • The Passionate Programmer
  • Once You're Lucky, Twice You're Good: The Rebirth of Silicon Valley and the Rise of Web 2.0

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »