Start by marking “The Maid's Daughter” as Want to Read:
The Maid's Daughter

The Maid's Daughter

William Cooper has a problem: it's 1952 in Beaufort South Carolina, and he's in love with the maid's daughter, Naomi Jackson. Despite Naomi's apprehension, the two teenagers engage in a forbidden romance, which lasts two years, until William's mother discovers their secret. Everything is irrevocably changed. William is sent to school in Massachusetts, and Naomi is shipped ...more
Published June 19th 2018 by Independently published

Liza Lorenz
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Original Review @ www.LizaLorenz.com

I one-clicked this book on a hummer, meaning a hunch knowing nada about it, including this was Ms. Knight's debut novel. Yet, I am so happy to have found her at the beginning of what will surely be a stellar career.

There is so much to love about this book:

1. Character Relationship - most romance love interests are joined at the hip, which readers have come to expect and want. Still, the separation of Naomi and William for much of the story was a welcome change
Margie
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nene
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-read
Great Read!

I usually don't read period book but this one was great. My first reading by this Author,I loved the relationship between the two main characters. I hated the things they had to endure. I hope this is not the ending to their story.I would recommend this book.
Cherryl Montgomery
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Finally, it was their time to be free to love!

William Cooper and Naomi Jackson were best friends since childhood. Naomi lived in the same home as the Coopers along with her mother as the family's maid. She was treated like the daughter Anna Copper never had. Over time, Will and Naomi's friendship developed into something more and they both knew it was taboo for the time period in which they lived. They kept their affair a secret from everyone until they were caught just a couple of weeks befor
LT4BAMA
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was different. I really liked it. Some random thoughts as I read:

William and Naomi were cute when they were young but it took to much sneaking around. Anna was super bitchy. I wonder if it is b/c Mr. Cooper is so nice to Miss Carole and Naomi.

What? Hell no. William was way out of line when Naomi went back to SC. First of all he was out of line for suggesting that she even go. I don’t even know why she felt guilted to go. Evelyn was rude, selfish and mean. He knew all those things but
Stormy
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a little conflicted with this story because I really like the story but then there are some aspects that started to wear on me.
So the story starts off strong. Our two lovers, Naomi and William live in a time where interracial romances are frowned upon. Despite all of this, William works up the courage to tell Naomi that he loves her and a moonlight romance ensues. As with most things, what happens in the dark comes to the light. William is desperate to continue his love with Naomi but Naom
Tanisha Stewart
I feel like this story had both good qualities to it that tied together nicely, and not so good qualities that unfortunately, could not be ignored. The author did an outstanding job describing the emotions that the characters felt with the various situations they encountered, and she also did a great job with creating characters that were easily distinguishable from one another in terms of their personalities and quirks.

There were, however, some significant issues with the story as well. There w
Bev Simon
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this story, it kept me riveted the whole way through

I loved the love story between Naomi and William, the fact that they lasted for two years before someone found out about them and didn't get pregnant was a bit far fetched but was explained later in the story.
The villains in this story were Mrs Anna Collins and Evelyn, they were horrible and made my blood boil. You could feel their evilness coming off the page.
There are a few things that I didn't get like the decision Naomi made but i
Tiffany
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This debut novel by author Brooklyn Knight proves she is a new author to watch. I thoroughly enjoyed the story of William and Naomi. There were times when this story made my heart swell with it's romance and times when I wanted to throw it across the room because William did something to make me upset, but it is all done with great writing technique and story telling. It pulls you in from the beginning and keeps you reading because you have to know what happens between the two main characters.

I
Ally
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One true love forever

This was an awesome read! Loved how the author set up and developed the story. Allowing the hero and heroine to share on a more personal level. The end was a bit disappointing. I feel a lot of things were left out. Hopefully that means there’ll be another book to continue the story.
It’s obvious that William and Naomi are soulmates. Though circumstances tore them apart, their love never dies. Not even time could keep them apart. Their love story is very real for a lot of pe
Kiera Rutledge
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never to late

This book takes us on a ride in the lives of Naomi and William as teens being each other's love in the 50s at a time that it was deeply frowned upon and forbidden to years later. The times gone by the secrets and lies that were told to keep them apart and how Love won out but not before much heartache . Love knows no color and if really worth it will defend and fight for it.
Msipe
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love and Pain

I read this book in one day. I could not put it down once I started reading it. It was heartbreaking to see two people who loved each other not be able to live in that love. The sentiment of the time they grew up in was suffocating and I hate to think of all the stories from that time that followed that same path. Not following your heart destroys many lives when it belongs to someone other than the person you share your life with. Excellent read.
Edwina Jjombwe
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome love story

The characters and storyline in this novel were very well developed and took me on a journey that captivated me with the unexpected plot twists. I could almost feel the heartache of the main characters as they stifled their love for each other, which made it difficult to put the book down. After reading this novel, I am now a fan of the romance genre and I look forward to the next release from Brooklyn Knight!
R
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome

Dr.K, this was a wonderful read! I would say the title of this book almost turned me off from clicking on the book! Perhaps a better title would have sufficed.. like “There you Were” or “Forever, Love”...this book was quite the surprise. It is well written! I look foreword to more of your work! ❤
Tracie Powell
It’s Fine For a Simple Read

Honestly the writing is better than most. The plot is great up until about 85% of the way through the story. Then main characters start acting in a way that’s unbelievable; just to drive us to a conclusion. There’s also a revelation that comes out of nowhere and a few subplots that are wrapped up too easily. However, most of the story is pretty good.
LaTanya Galloway
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worth the read

I'm not one for reading period novels but this one was worth it. Really heartfelt story between William and Naomi. The twist and turns, the secrets that involved everyone, made for a good story. The only thing missing for me is an epilogue, would have made for a better ending
mrs_dash1027
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good debut!

A round of applause for this debut novel from Brooklyn Knight. Although not a genre I can actually identify with and/or relate to I enjoyed the story. I would have liked to know more about some of the back stories but the story as it is was well developed and flowed. I look forward to future writing from this author.
Nancy  L Thompson
Not Bad.....

For a new author this was a pretty good story. I was not crazy about Will, but like us all he had to learn. Just sorry it took 40 + years. I had a hard time putting it down.......Great job!!!
Dana
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good story

The h really annoyed me but I really enjoyed the story. I would really like a their parents story! First book by this author...will be checking out her other works.
Taifa Burchall
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent !!!!*********

This is the best book I've read in a long time. I read it in two days. I just couldn't put it down. As I was reading it l literally was picturing the character's in my head. A must read!!!
Stephanye
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Story!

The Maid’s Daughter was a really intense page turner. William and Naomi characters were very well written. Do yourself a read the book, it is now on my beat books of 2018 list.
Ty
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
at first

I really like this book up until Will allowed his wife to treat Naomi the way she did. I wanted her to leave as soon as she got there. But I was able to get through it an glad everything worked out for the best
Shanicedavis
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing

I read this based on a recommendation by one of my favorite writers in a group on Facebook. This was amazing. I couldn't stop reading. I was unsure how it was going to turn out, but the ending was perfect
byronna torrence
So intriguing

Omg!I loved this book. The ending made me so happy because I was cheering for William and Naomi. The beginning bought tears to my eyes
Adrienne Elliott
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good But also sad...

I enjoyed the book but it was also very sad. They left some of Naomi`s story out. I would have liked to see that part.
oscar smith