Start by marking “Over the Fence (The Neighbors #2)” as Want to Read:
Over the Fence (The Neighbors #2)

Over the Fence

(The Neighbors #2)

In this page-turning novel set in the Depression-era South, New York Times bestselling author Mary Monroe transports readers to a small Alabama town where home is not always a sanctuary, and two neighboring families let pleasantries mask increasing resentment. . .

Bootlegging was Milton and Yvonne Hamilton’s ticket out of poverty, prison time, and plain bad luck. Now th
Published March 26th 2019 by Dafina

To ask other readers questions about Over the Fence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Over the Fence

Kelsie
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-read
Over the Fence by Mary Monroe is the second book in her The Neighbors series. The novel is set in the late 1930’s and is told through the alternating points of view of the main characters, Yvonne and Milton Hamilton.

Yvonne Maynard is recently released from prison camp in Alabama where she’s been for almost two years. Milton Hamilton is a young man constantly on the lookout for his next hustle. Milton and Yvonne meet at a bootleggers’ party and the romance is sprung. The two marry and start thei
Jypsy
Over the Fence is the second book in a series. I didn't know that, so I haven't read the first book yet. The background information would have helped I think. The story is depression era. It's well written and engaging. I like the bootlegging aspect of it. It's a very interesting read. The characters are flawed but likeable. They have complex relationships, and they are funny at times. Overall, this is a good read. Thanks to NetGalley for an arc in exchange for an honest review.
The CurvyJones
Odelle is a dummy.

Full review forthcoming.
Dorothy
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love this series BUT I hate the way the books end...wahhh! I can't wait for book #3! :)
Lalaa
Mar 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Chris
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Over the Fence," is the first book I've read by Mary Monroe. I'm so happy that I was introduced to her work through a complimentary copy given by Net Galley. Her characters are three-dimensional, warm, funny, lively, and believable. The historical novel is set in 1937 during the Prohibition period in the South. It centers around the neighborly relationship between married couple, Yvonne and Milton Hamilton, and their neighbors Odell and Joyce Watson. Yvonne met Milton after she was released fro ...more
fidel may
Apr 09, 2019 rated it liked it
An okay read

This book was okay. A little predictable and no real excitement. The first book was about Odell &Joyce and now they are just pop in and out characters. The end had no closure or twist to look forward to. I hope we get a little more next time.
Shalea
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC copy via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

First off, I am so elated author Mary Monroe expanded on the "neighborly" relationship between Milton/Yvonne + Odell/Joyce. If you read the first in the series "One House Over", this one shows Milton is absolutely running things (no spoilers).

"Over the Fence" delves further into the background lives of both Milton & Yvonne. At the same time Joyce & Odell are still the same judgmental, holier-than-thou neighbors.

This on
Read In Colour
I didn't necessarily feel like the predecessor to Over the Fence needed a sequel, but it was interesting to see how Milton and Yvonne's household was run, in comparison to Joyce and Odell's from One House Over. Monroe writes simple, small town characters which makes for a quick read, but doesn't leave the reader wondering about those characters later on. There's no depth to the story telling, so while it's a quick read, it's rarely a must read.
Princess Gooden
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Drama filled story. This was my first book by this author but I will be back for me. I like stories that I can’t easily predict. The characters were family members by the time I got to Chapter 12.
Annarella
I had some problems with this book as it was the second installment in a series and I didn't read the first one.
I liked the characters, the well researched historical background, and the setting.
The book is sometimes slow and it seems to drag.
Many thanks to Kensington Books and Netgalley for this ARC
Vnunez-Ms_luv2read
Feb 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This is a follow up to “One House Over”. We get to learn more about Milton, Yvonne, Joyce and Odell. It was nice to learn more about the characters and how they came together, but the book dragged. I found myself skipping pages. I didn’t find this installment as readable as the first. Thanks to Netgalley, the author and the publisher for the ARC of this book in return for my honest review. Receiving this book in this way had no bearing on my review.
Nandi Crawford
Robin Williams
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First off, this book was not 400 pages, its only 308, so its a very quick read. The sequel was based off the lives of Milton and Yvonne and all of their crookedness. So, I'm guessing book three will be based off of Odell and Joyce.

I was expecting a little more from this novel. I felt this novel was written to string readers along for a series. This series should not continue past a third book.

Hopefully, Ms. Monroe will tie up all loose ends regarding Odell/Joyce and Milton/Yvonne in book three.
Linda Wilson
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book, I hope there is a next one of this series. I couldn`t put it down, it was the same with the first book of this series. It was interesting to read about their lives, prices then and bootlegging. I couldn`t put the book down. Their lives was so interesting and it kept me turning pages to see what was happening next. I felt sorry for Joyce and how it affected her life. I know you will enjoy it as much as I did ...more
Claudia
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’ve read the first book and was NOT disappointed with the second in the series. I loved the authors approach to storytelling with the first book’s story sharing the perspective of the Watsons, Joyce and Odell and this one, being told from the perspective of neighbors Yvonne and Milton. I finished this book WAY too quickly and can’t wait for the third. My Bookclub chose the Neighbors series and I’m delighted we did.
Lana
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
#2

Waited a little while to read this instalment, and although I wasn't disappointed it wasn't what I thought it would be. This book gave you the background to two of the characters in the series and overlapped from #1 which was annoying .but having said that I did enjoy it. Looking forward to Part 3
Princess Gooden
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Drama filled story. This was my first book by this author but I will be back for more. I like stories that I can’t easily predict. Fun read. The characters were family members by the time I got to Chapter 12 so I was tripping about some of the things that went on... no spoiler... netgalley review. Thanks
Kathleen Gray
Mar 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Milton, Yvonne, Joyce, and Odell. Is any one of these people likable? Odell and Milton really came off as odious to me. I wasn't a fan of the first novel, in part because I so disliked Odell so I had hopes for this one. Nope. I still can't built the sympathy Joyce deserves. I did like the depression era setting an the bootlegging aspects. Thanks to netgalley for the ARC.
laverne greene
Apr 06, 2019 rated it did not like it
A little confused

I felt like I was reading some of the same material from book 1, just being told from the other couple's prospective. It also felt a little drawn out. I'll give the third book a try so see if questions i have get answered.
Angela S
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Part 2

Mary Monroe has had several series I have enjoyed and this is right up there with the rest of them. I enjoyed the plotting, the characters and especially the scheming. Can't wait for part 3!
Angelica Hamilton
Apr 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
The unanswered questions I had in book 1 were not answered in book 2. Maybe they will be answered in book 3 'cause I'm sure 'nough gonna read it too. :-)

I didn't enjoy this book as much as I wanted to, but I will always be a Mary Monroe fan!!
Zoe Betsey
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Greed

I enjoyed the seconded part of this book, characters were well developed. Joyce is a fool in love, Odell is living a dangerous live, loving two ain't easy to do. Milton and Yvonne are just plain greedy. Looking forward to 3rd book....
Kandise Ross
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a good read overall I still need answers to some of the events that took place, so I’m hoping it will be more to come. It’s Kinda long and drawn out but still mostly a good read!!
Jan
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Tedious. This book dragged on for me until I found myself skipping pages.
Unfortunately,my high hopes and the ratings had me thinking this book would be wonderful. Nope.
Deborah Arrington
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Blackmailers

Yvonne and Milton are the worst neighbors, but Odell is just as bad, I cringe when he continues to give not only Milton but now Yvonne . Time to feed p
Maya B
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in the series and it did not disappoint. Lots of drama.
Kimberly
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great story

I loved the story. Just didn't like the way it ended Maybe there us another book in the series that will tell how this book ended
Tynece
Mar 29, 2019 rated it liked it
There is not one character that I like in this series....
Caroline
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I gave this book the full five stars based on my personal barometer of a book's quality: An eagerness to get back to reading it whenever possible. I read Over the Fence in a couple of days and am already anxiously awaiting the next book in the series (The Neighbors). One House Over, its predecessor, was the first book, and it was just as engaging as this one.

The overall theme in the book is deception and the tangled web humans weave as a result of their lies. The interesting thing about the prin
« previous 1 3 next »
I am the third child of Alabama sharecroppers and the first and only member of my family to finish high school. I never attended college or any writing classes. I taught myself how to write and started writing short stories around age four. I spent the first part of my life in Alabama and Ohio and moved to Richmond, California in 1973. I have lived in Oakland since 1984.

My first novel THE UPPER RO

The Neighbors (2 books)
  • One House Over (The Neighbors #1)