Start by marking “The Devil to Pay (Shayne Davies, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Devil to Pay (Shayne Davies, #1)

The Devil to Pay

(Shayne Davies #1)

When it comes to talented new recruits at the Federal Underworld Agency, Nora Jacobs is only half the story. The Devil to Pay is the first book in a companion series to Nora Jacobs, set in the same urban fantasy Detroit, sharing several supporting characters (hello, Nick Gorgeous), but with a new main character, Shayne Davies. This series can be enjoyed on its own, but rea ...more
Audiobook
Published January 2019

Jenna “Meadow”  | The Book of Meadow
I didn’t like this book as much as Jackie May’s other series of her character Nora Jacobs in the same world; Don’t Rush Me and Don’t Cheat Me. I felt like for this book May was trying too hard with the main character, Shayne Davies, to make her quirky and witty when she just became annoying.

Although there is a bit more action in this book, the secondary characters are not developed well. We meet a few similar characters from the other series and their personalities only come across if you’ve
Lissa Hawley
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is beautiful chaos and I loved every second.

A heroine with sass and street smarts, and action that never stops. So highly recommended.
Heather
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What a joke

I don't think I've been this let down by a book I had high hopes for in quite a while. First off the main character talks to the reader like she know we are reading her story, it is EXTREMELY annoying! Second chapter 3 is a paragraph saying we had sex all night long but I'm not going to even write about that cause it would be like 100 pages long, ugh that is even worse then undetailed or fade to black sex. If you are going to do something like that why even write about a sexualy promi
Alicia

Plot ★★★
Humor ★★★★
Characters & Character Development ★★★
Narration ★★★★

Story: This was a pretty good story although I felt that Shayne was extremely immature, jealous and not too bright for most of the time. I was disappointed that she still felt loyal to her family considering they treat her like absolute trash. She got better towards the end but for the most part, I found her self centered.

Narration: Chandra Skyye - She's alright
Brandy
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uf, shifters, demons, fae
I wasn't sure what to expect from this new spin off from the Nora Jacobs series, especially when it itself is so new, but I wasn't disappointed. I think I actually like Shayne more then Nora as a lead female.

She's plucky, mischievous, headstrong and resilient. Shayne is also, and most importantly, a smartass. She IS NOT a damsel in distress or a Mary Sue. I couldn't help but laugh out loud at her antics and quips.

The only part I'm unsure about is the talking directly to the reader narration. It'
Ash
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yuuuuuuuuus, Queen, I praise you.

UF. Paranormal. Comedic. MC is a fox shifter. I'm not going to say any more. I'm just telling you to read this. It's hysterical. It's clever. It's fast paced. It's everything you want in a Jackie May book.
Feminista
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
A pretty interesting and unusual character. Shayne Davies is not your typical heroine. She isn't the strongest or the most liked individual in this book, but she perseveres where others wouldn't.
Britan
Good book

Loved this book. Shayne was a total bad as s who was smart and tough but got scared and wasn't immune to getting hurt. This book broke the 4th wall so if you don't like that it's not for you. The.story line was almost too fast paced. Sometimes the scene would change with no warning inbetween paragraphs. It made it seem like the book was flying. I am excited to see where this series is going to go from here.
Kristina
Sep 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
This is a hard one to review for me. First of all, kudos to the author for writing a character that is absolutely nothing like her debut character, Nora, in the original series. This series happens in the same world and as far as I could tell fairly parallel time-wise to book one of Nora's series. Secondly, this book is well written and really funny. Shayne, the MC, is also the narrator and, at numerous points in the story, does the book version of breaking the fourth wall. Shayne is also, as sh ...more
Sadie Forsythe
Feb 10, 2019 rated it liked it
This book tricked me. When it first started I groaned and wondered if I'd manage to finish it. I didn't have high hopes. I was annoyed that the main character broke the fourth wall to speak directly to the reader. I disliked that it seemed so focused on sex (though I appreciated that she was allowed to be sexual). I thought Shayne seemed too silly to relate to and I disliked that she was basically lying to everyone about actually working for the agency. It felt very child-like. As did the fact t ...more
Chrissy
Spin Off urban fantasy with sass

This spin off from the Nora Jacobs series is a definite change of pace. It’s fast and frantic from the get go with a very different main character Shayne, a fox shifter at the centre. Shayne, unlike Nora, knows exactly what she is, a devious, exuberant and feisty individual who comes from a family of similar foxes. She grew up on a trailer park, with her family of gypsy fox shifters, who live with their trailers parked up in a circle, in and out of each other’s bu
Heather Gilbert
4th wall kind of lol funny

For once our MC is not the best, brightest, strongest or most bad butt thing around. Rather, she’s crazy, funny, small and foxy... as in an actual fox. In a world of predators, she’s submissive and easily prey. Those around her are far more dominant and aggressive - all she has is a mouth and a brain that fits pieces together a little too quickly. It’s a combination that makes this paranormal fresh and inviting - there’s nothing fated here nor some secret queen crap, ju
Nicole
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this so much, buying hard copies of books

I am so much in love with this foxy lady and her unique character voice! Serious girl crush. Shayne is EXACTLY the kind of fast-talking, anxiety-ridden, awkward-yet-sexy antihero that I want to be. Her relationships - from the hilarious banter with Nick Gorgeous, to her sassing off to her Mom, to the back-and-forth tennis match convos she has with Hellerman - are so convolutedly complicated, they are more fun to watch than the plot of demons trying t
Liesa
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yeeeeesssss! You won't regret reading this book.

I'm in love with this writing style! The humor is fantastic. Also, I love how Shayne's narrative voice occassionally pops up (to provide the reader information and context)-- and when it does, it's meta in a way writers and avid readers will 100% understand.

Also, can I ask, how did the Jackie May duo know I've read the Mercy Thompson series multiple times!?!?!?!?! They have their audience pegged, haha.

It's always a pleasure to find excellent autho
Nawnee
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny start to a side series

This is a great start to a side series and the main character is definitely strong enough to carry her own story. I've already read the Nora Jacobs books that are out right now and loved them both. This book is set in the same world and seems to have a close time line. On the plus side it doesn't spoiler the other books and I don't think new readers need to worry what order they read the two series in. If this is the first book you've seen by this author I would defin
Ashley Marie
Interesting start

I enjoyed this book, devoured it as soon as I got the email stating Jackie May had a new release.. I love how we got to see an expanded version of the Nora Jacobs world but from a snarky, funny, crazy Shayne Davies. I laughed so much but I was hooked from the first chapter. I am excited to find out if Hillerman makes any more appearances in future books.. How that partnership is gonna work out with the attraction & & what happens with her love life.. I'm just excited to
C.J Donais
Funny

Okay first few chapters I was dying of laughter. The first one alone was the best, in a deadpool way. That being said, it was a bit slow for me after. If that same sense of humor was in the whole book, I would have given a better review. The Nora Roberts series is more intense and keeps my interest. Nick Gorgeous was a teaser, not like they really had any spark of love interest, and Shayne goes to pursue a guy, but no real relationship material has come to light.
Dawn Gee
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good start to series

Shayne is interesting and much smarter than she lets everyone believe. There's some good humor but also awkward silliness. The action is fast paced and exciting. Some of the scenes with Brenner left me baffled. I really like the Detroit world that's built in this and Nora Jacob's world. I kind of like Nolan and Ben so not sure why Shayne seems to present them.
Dana Williams
I really enjoyed this.

So someone tried to say this book was terrible because it wasn't like Norah Jacobs, of course it isn't , it's in the same "world" but all new character, some familiar but still. I enjoyed this new look on the underworld side of this universe Jackie May has created, I enjoyed Shayne and I really enjoy the complex workings of Brenner. I'm excited to see where his goes.
Linda Dolven
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So much fun!

Love Shayne! She is hilariously adorable and doesn’t take herself seriously at all. She’s so refreshing. Hilldebrand (if I wrote that correctly) is also super funny and badass. I hope we see her in future installments. And sweet Brenner is adorable and so trusting of Shayne despite everything he’s experienced. Love seeing Nora Jacob’s Underworld from another perspective. Can’t wait for the next book :-)
Mrs Rachel
Not sure

The style of writing in this is very different to the Nora Jacob series. I know it’s because Shayne’s character is so different but I found this much harder to read and follow. The storyline was interesting with lots of twists and turns but I had to really concentrate to understand what was happening.
Although I loved the Nora Jacobs books, I’m not sure I will be reading any more Shayne Davies stories.
Cindy
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun and exciting

I was surprised that this story was related to Nora's in "Don't Cheat Me". Shayne is nothing like Nora though. She is telling the story and her personality shines throughout.

The fox shifter angle has some similarities to Mercy's story and is even remarked upon, but Shayne is a very different fox than Mercy. She is definitely crazier.

This is a fun and exciting story.
Amanda Allen
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book.

I love this book, I think, more than the "original" series that it was spun from. The writing was enthusiastic...filled with tons of oh so much loved.... sarcasm! It was action packed & filled with colorful characters that kept u turning page after page! I'm still waiting for the "original" series' 3rd book... But I'm also hoping the Ms.Davies hurries up,too!
Heather De Los Reyes
Fun and exiciting

What a great addition to this group of characters. Shayne is quick witted and sarcastic but so enjoyable to read about. I enjoyed Brenners character and getting to have the previous characters in this book as well. The author did an amazing job with describing them as well as the scenes that took place.
Torrina
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun read

I was expecting something a bit different after the Nora Jacobs series, and this was completely unexpected. I liked that it was in the same world, with some of the same characters, but the heroines were as opposite as could be. Take a chance on it, I’m excited to see what Shayne gets herself into next!
Nichole
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this universe!

We meet Shayne who is in the same world with Nora. We have demons, humans, shifters, fey, vampires, and even the FBI! I would read the Nora Jacobs books 1 and 2 before reading this one but it’s a good companion novel and gives another view to some of the characters we love and love to hate.
Kelly
Mar 31, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Monologue of Bored

I can handle a little filled monologue but seriously. I couldn't get thru first few chapters that would have to used the entire book quota. Not a good snark representation. Ugh... Loved Nora Series but rewrite this. If you must attempt a character of spin off introduction, start a short story for it.
Angela James
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Epic!

Eek! Oh my gosh, this book was sooo full of action, adventure, drama, snark, sass, and humor. I could not put it down. I'm seriously loving this writing duo! This makes the fourth book of theirs that I've read and they've all been absolutely amazing! I love Shayne and can't wait for them to come up with more crazy stories about her.
SarahBear88
Hmmm

I don't know what it is about this book. For some reason it just seem to drag on so long. I have to admit I really like the other books with Nora Jacobs way better. I'm not sure I would read the second one of this series. The spinoff just doesn't do it for me. Nora Jacobs, however, rocks my world!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Guardian Wolf (Alpha Force #3)
  • Queen Takes Triune (Their Vampire Queen, #6)
  • Tempest And The Warrior (Unearthly World, #7)
  • Terr6tory: The Primes (Territory, #6)
  • Slimy Underbelly (Dan Shamble, Zombie P.I. #4)
  • Salvation Mine (Alpha and Omega, #6)
  • Claiming His Desire (Feral Breed Motorcycle Club, #6)
  • Hunting Her (Keeping Her, #6)
  • Won by Cipher (Grabbed, #5)
  • Every Blissful Moment (Hyena Heat, #4)
  • Otherworldly
  • Dark Lust (Dark Brother, #5)
  • City of the Lost: Part Six
  • Taken by Sin (Demon Hunters, #4)
  • Devil's Blood (Royal Blood #4)
  • Every Changing Way (Sloan Brothers, #4)
  • Heart of the Warrior (The Tameness of the Wolf, #4)
  • The Jaxon Effect (Jaxon Effect Trilogy, #1)
Jackie May is a pseudonym for a husband and wife writing team. Josh and Kelly live outside Phoenix, Arizona with their four children and their cat, Mr. Darcy. Jackie May is their only daughter. (And she keeps asking for her cut of the profits since we’re using her name.)