Start by marking “The Year's Best Science Fiction: Fourteenth Annual Collection” as Want to Read:
The Year's Best Science Fiction: Fourteenth Annual Collection

The Year's Best Science Fiction: Fourteenth Annual Collection (The Year's Best Science Fiction #14)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  170 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Presents 23 of the finest science-fiction works of 1995, including stories by such diverse writers as Michael Bishop, Terry Bisson, Greg Egan, Nancy Kress, Ursula K. Le Guin, Maureen F. McHugh, Mike Resnick, and others.

Contents
ix • Summation: 1996 • essay by Gardner Dozois
1 • Immersion • (1996) • novella by Gregory Benford
47 • The Dead • (1996) • shortstory by Michael Swa
Published June 28th 1997 by St Martins Press (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Year's Best Science Fiction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Year's Best Science Fiction

Taylor
Mar 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any science fiction fan
Shelves: sci-fi
I love these collections and have been trying to fill in the volumes that I am missing. I picked this up at a used book store during a trip last year.

Editor Gardner Dozois does a great job of picking the best stories from the year and collecting them into one volume of approx. 250,000 words of fantastic science fiction. Almost as valuable as the stories themselves are his "state of the genre" forwards where he discusses trends in publishing, novel, movies, anthologies, and notable happenings in
Kevin Groosalugg
May 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Immersion (Gregory Benford) was a solid story. I also enjoyed The Flowers of Aulit Prison (Nancy Kress), Death do us part (Robert Silverberg), The Cost to be Wise (Maureen McHugh), Bicycle Repairman (Bruce Sterling), and Chrysalis (Robert Reed). But by FAR the best two in this book were the two Tony Daniel stories, A Dry, Quiet War and The Robot's Twilight Companion. Both of these stories will haunt me for a while and I have to read more of him. I'm tempted to give it 4 stars just for introducin ...more
Lord Humungus
May 04, 2012 rated it liked it

This collection had some great material in it, including Nancy Kress' brilliant "Flowers of Aulit Prison", Robert Reed's weird "Chrysalis", Bruce Sterling's silly "Bicycle Repairman" and two works by Tony Daniel. This book made me buy Tony Daniel's later novels and collections. Also was my first introduction to Jonathan Lethem, though I didn't know it at the time.

John Devlin
Mar 21, 2007 rated it really liked it
If you read one sci-fi book a year, this is the one. Always stories of high caliber with a few tossed in that will keep you thinking weeks later, not to mention the collection is a primer for what science and technology everyone will be talking about five to ten years from now.
James
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
Some of the stories made me wonder what their criteria was for the award.... but others were good!
Michallevy
English edition
Cindy
Mar 19, 2010 marked it as fat-volumes-in-progress
Shelves: sci-fi, own, anthology
99-cent buy from Goodwill.
Timon Karnezos
Sep 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Standouts were "A Dry, Quiet War" and "Bicycle Repairman".
o
Meh, gave up on this one. I gave each of the stories ten pages, and only ended up reading the entirety of two or three. Not my favorite collection; better luck next time.
Darth
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
Not much in here grabbed my attention, and nothing sparked my imagination. I usually love collections of shorts, but this was not my fave.
Aneil
Mostly unreadable, boring pieces. I'm glad I only paid $7.99 for the Kindle version, and will be donating/giving it away as soon as I can.
Patrick
Steven
Feb 18, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Year's Best SF 6
  • Best New Horror 11 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #11)
  • The Best Horror of the Year Volume Two
  • Far Horizons: All New Tales from the Greatest Worlds of Science Fiction
12052
Gardner Raymond Dozois (born July 23, 1947) is an American science fiction author and editor. He was editor of Asimov's Science Fiction magazine from 1984 to 2004. He has won multiple Hugo and Nebula awards, both as an editor and a writer of short fiction.
Wikipedia entry: Gardner Dozois

More about Gardner Dozois...

The Year's Best Science Fiction (1 - 10 of 34 books)
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: First Annual Collection