Start by marking “New York Dead (Stone Barrington, #1)” as Want to Read:
New York Dead (Stone Barrington, #1)

New York Dead

(Stone Barrington #1)

Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published November 1st 1991)

Dawn
Jan 11, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The main character in the book, Stone Barrington, is not your typical New York cop. He went to law school but became interested in police work during his stint in school. As a foodie and oenophile, and with his white collar background, he's also supposed to be somewhat more "cultured" than the average cop, although this doesn't keep him from condoning the use of offensive, negative terms for minorities and lesbians.

Stone is on medical leave recovering from a bullet to the knee when a woman, Sas
Katy
Jun 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this Stuart Woods book, we find Stone Barrington in his first outing. He is a Lt. Detective on limited duty due to a bullet he took to his knee and has decided after an evening out to walk home in order to get some exercise to it when, in a case of being in either the right place at the right time, or wrong place at the wrong time, he witnesses a woman falling from a building. It turns out to be a rather famous TV personality who was scheduled to take her place as a co-anchor on a prestigious ...more
Sameera77
Mystery with explicit content and derogatory language.
One could label this book as romantic suspense from a male POV and written by a male author, however its graphic sex scenes have little romance and aren't really necessary in the book plot. The women in this book are shown as sex objects, greedy for power and money, under a strain weak, crying and suicidal. Men fare not better, presented as cock-driven fools, annoying sexists, weirdos or psychos.

Woods gives us a pathetic and pessimistic visi
Debbie
Aug 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, stuart-woods
I have been reading Stuart Woods books for a long time. I especially like the Stone Barrington series but not necessarily in order. I started Son of Stone and didn't like it at all but I had to finish it when I found that in order to make a later book make sense I had to find out what happened to Arrington. What I have had a problem with is the dialogue. I just doesn't set right - not bad enough to make me stop reading but it just doesn't always seem quite right somehow. "Hello, Dino." "Hello, S ...more
Anastasia
New York dead by Stuart Woods is the first Stone Barrington novel. The body of Sash Nijinsky, television anchorwoman, falls from the penthouse of a high rise apartment in front of Stone Barrington setting in motion a series of events that change the course of his life. A terrific start to a series, this book sets up nicely the events that lead to Stone Barringtons career as an attorney and investigator. It was full of action and suspense and Stone was always in the middle of it all. I'm looking ...more
DAISY DISNEY
Loved the start of this series!!! I can't believe I hadn't read Woods sooner! Boy have I been missing out! This story had a lot of suspense! When I thought I had it down on who the killer was and what happened to SN I was wrong!

The book is very fast paced from the very beginning when a news reporter falls to what is thought to be her death. It is soon discovered that she is not dead but alive and still breathing. The ambulance is called and rushes her to the hospital. Along the way to the hospit
Rex Fuller
Apr 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first by Woods. I was really impressed with the quick, easy, and enjoyable reading. Glad I found a new author with an extensive list.
 Marla
Serious language and sex in this book, but story moves along and it's interesting. Stone sees newscaster, Sasha Nijinsky, fall from her balcony and ends up leading the investigation.

Likes:
* Stone Barrington is an honest NYC cop who went to law school, then went to the police academy instead of taking the bar exam
* Pretty good book, for setting up the background for the series
* Dino Bacchetti, Stone's Italian partner
* Frank Woodman, law firm partner
* Bill Eggers, law firm partner and Stone's law
Sionna
So, I read this book with my father as I'm trying to get him into reading more and I know he likes this author. Also, I figured I could learn what kinds of books he does like. Unfortunately, I didn't like it.

While I will give some leeway since it was written in the 80s, I feel like I should also make excuses because it was written by a man. Wow, it is so obvious. There is just some weirdly written things and moments that made me groan, roll my eyes, and wish I could put the book down. UGH.

I wil
Joe White
Sep 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This may have been the last good Stone Barrington book. It actually had a plot with several twists and suspense leading up to the final pages with the final revelations. In this book, Stone was still a police detective and hadn't adopted the smug wealthy lifestyle which becomes the consummate profile of later Stone books. He actually experienced a brief look at financial disaster, and entered the book wearing ordinary clothing. His adoption of expensive clothing and absorbing the finer lifestyle ...more
Michelle
Jun 21, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don’t have a great first impression of Stone Barrington, based on this first book in the series. I started at book 1 because a friend gave me a boxful of Stuart Woods’ books. Then again, the setting is the early-1990s, and the racism, sexism, and derogatory insults that are freely thrown about seem so out-of-date. Casual sex seems to be Stone’s modus operandi, but when I thought the “love-interest” was out of the picture, I started to like Stone a little better; but wait, here she comes again ...more
Heidi
Smart detective. Integrity and good looks. New York City. Seems like a recipe for a great series.

Pretty good read with some twists but I kept wanting more... since it’s a popular, longtime series, I’m hopeful it gets better.

One thing I noticed... even though it was set in early 90s (maybe even late 80s), the lack of technology wasn’t nearly as obvious as it can be in other crime procedurals. That’s a good thing.

Barrington isn’t Bosch but I think I’d like to get to know him a little better, jus
Mark
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When a series has as many books as the Stone Barrington series, you probably should look into the series. So I did and read the first in the series. It was an easy read, with a lot of dialogue and a good story line. The story revolves around the missing of a up and coming anchorwomen Sasha Nijinsky. Why did she get thrown or jump from a balcony? Where is she now? Who is involved? Why are so many men and women involved in the missing or death of this women? I guess you must read to find out.
The
Gareth Otton
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People bored with detective novels that always return to the status quo
I find that I am less and less gripped by detective books as the years go by. They tend to be all of a likeness, the same thing happening so often even by different authors that it's hard to tell them apart. For the most part this was true about this novel as well. There was nothing amazingly original about it, the crime was familiar enough to be predictable and there was a lot of the tired tropes I dislike about this genre in evidence in the writing.

So why is it that this is a five star review
Tomi
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ever met someone with incredible luck, both good and bad? Well, that would be Stone Barrington. Interesting character and interesting relationships. I have read some of this series before, but since the few I read assumed you had read the others, doing the series in order. Let's see if I end up loving or hating the incredible Mr. Barrington.
Bob
Jan 27, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Found this old paperback that recounts the beginning of the Stone Barrington series. I often read mention of the events in later books, but it was nice to finally read the whole story and I can see that Stone has not changed his habits in later books. When Stone was walking home when off duty he witnesses the fall from a high balcony of prominent news woman. While it appears that she may have survived the fall, the ambulance that was rushing her to the hospital is stuck by a fire engine and when ...more
Keith
Mar 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everyone tells Detective Second Class Stone Barrington that he’s not a good match with the New York Police Department. He’s too smart to be a cop and his background from old money is resented by other members on the force. But even with his law school background he thinks that being a detective is one thing he does well. After he witnesses the apparent suicide of a beautiful and well known TV anchorwoman he watches his entire life turnaround as he’s caught up in a string of unsolved and seemingl ...more
Karen
Everyone is always telling Stone Barrington that he's too smart to be a cop, but it's pure luck that places him on the streets in the dead of night, just in time to witness the horrifying incident that turns his life inside out. Suddenly he's on the front page of every New York newspaper, and his life is hopelessly entwined in the increasingly shocking life (and perhaps death) of Sasha Nijinsky, the country's hottest and most beautiful television anchorwoman.

I think with a different vocal actor
Steve H
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
I’m not sure what I thought of this book 🤔
The actual detective part of it wasn’t bad ...but...there has to be a but...

When you get...and I quote ‘Later, when they fell asleep, exhausted, it was with his soft penis in her hand, he liked sleeping that way,’ unquote
😳😳...just 😳😳😳....that has to be the most vomit inducing turgid drivel I have ever read. How on earth did the author or his proof readers allow such complete bullshit get into a book.

I’m still shuddering 😳
Rorie
Dec 02, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a Piece of Shit! From the name of the protagonist to his character description.... this book REALLY sucks! I tried to be fair and give it a shot, but I can not and will not waste another minute of my life reading this crap. I am amazed so many people like this book. If anyone would care to explain how they can read it all the way through and enjoy it, I would appreciate it.

Jerry
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jerry by: A friend
If the rest of the series is like New York Dead, I'm very happy to have been turned on to Stuart Woods. The last 6 chapters held me, and I couldn't put it down, even though we were late meeting friends for dinner.
Diana Evans
Sep 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
One of the rare books I just couldn't get through. Main plot was fairly good but the sexist, ignorant detectives language was horribly off-putting. And the sex scenes were poorly written. Maybe it was a book of its time but it's not a time (or culture, really) I long for.
Paul
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read a few of the later Stone Barrington novels and found the writing to be good, but the story lines somewhat bland and over the top. I though it was worth finding out if the first novels were better and read this first effort. Are the early novels better? Judging by this one, yes.

The story begins with Stone as a NYC detective. A disappearance/murder mystery baffles the police as they end up closing the case without conclusive proof. We meet Stone's partner Dino, who appears in later books.

T
☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎
When I started this series I didn't know that it was part of a series so I jumped around but today I thought it would be a good idea to start this series from the beginning and because my son keeps telling me that this was a really good crime and I needed to start the Stone Barrington series right from the beginning. Well just like the others I love Stone but now I know why he became a lawyer instead of staying a cop but also how his mind works. He's quite smart and love his ex-partner Dino. He' ...more
Scott A. Miller
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For the first book in a series this was exceptional. No wonder the series runs some 50 books now. This was a well crafted mystery to the end. Barrington is going to be a hell of a character to ride with over the next 49 or so books. Looks like I’m late to the party again. Hopefully they will be as good as Parker’s books. Woods seems up to the challenge.
C C
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book has everything, from characters named Stone (think brave, not rocks or weed) to characters named Sasha (think woman). The biggest difference between Stone and Sasha? Sasha is dead on the pavement, and Stone is not dead on the pavement. Is Stone dumb as rocks? Hell no, get your head out of the sand trap. Stone is a oenophile, which is a fancy term for a wine lover, (not be confused with onanism, which is the practice of masturbation), which means he's cultured as fuck, bro, and not afra ...more
Carol
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was drawn in immediately to this novel and enjoyed the characters. I will follow Stone in his journey with #2.
Laura Rash
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was great to reread this! I’d forgotten how Stone and Dino got started really and this brought it all back in my mind.
Donna Mcnab
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was very interesting to go back to the start when Stone Barrington was a police detective, and then the start of the transformation of his life, with the future characters in these books coming into the picture. He sure does like the women!
JBradford
I whipped through three Stone Barrington novels in sequence earlier this week--and then discovered that this other Stuart Woods book in my pile was the first one of the series, which I had not known because the silly publisher did not include that fact on the cover page, even though many of the 26 other Stone Barrington novels are listed on the flyleaf. So I came to the game late, having read at least half a dozen of the total 27 novels in the series (including one that is going to be released i ...more

• Escape (Butch Karp, #20)
  • The Tin Collectors (Shane Scully, #1)
  • A Deadly Vineyard Holiday (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #8)
  • Until Proven Guilty (J.P. Beaumont, #1)
  • The Thirteen
  • Invisible Prey (Lucas Davenport, #17)
  • The Headhunters (Inspector Henrietta Mallin, #2)
  • The River Killings (A Zoe Hayes Mystery #2)
  • Dead Hunt (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #5)
  • Final Truth (Truth #4; John Mancini #10)
  • Drawn in Blood (Burbank & Parker, #2)
  • Flashover (Georgia Skeehan, #2)
  • The Silence of the Rain
  • Midnight Alley (Ash Levine, #2)
  • Born to Run (Jack Swyteck, #8)
  • Miami, It's Murder (Britt Montero, #2)
  • Wild Justice (Amanda Jaffe, #1)
  • Shiny Water (Michael Stone, #1)
Stuart Woods is the author the New York Times-bestselling Stone Barrington series and Holly Barker series. He is an avid private pilot, flying his own jet on book tours. You may see his tour schedule and learn more about the author on his website.

Stone Barrington (1 - 10 of 52 books)
  • Dirt (Stone Barrington, #2)
  • Dead in the Water (Stone Barrington, #3)
  • Swimming to Catalina (Stone Barrington, #4)
  • Worst Fears Realized (Stone Barrington, #5)
  • L.A. Dead (Stone Barrington, #6)
  • Cold Paradise (Stone Barrington, #7)
  • The Short Forever (Stone Barrington, #8)
  • Dirty Work (Stone Barrington, #9)
  • Reckless Abandon (Stone Barrington, #10; Holly Barker, #4)
  • Two Dollar Bill (Stone Barrington, #11)
“He was a simple, animal hunger, and he didn't care what he was eating or how it tasted .
It was like taking aspirin to make a headache go away.
You don't enjoy the aspirin”
0 likes
“There was a sort of invisible, one-way barrier between that young woman and the rest of the world ; everything passed through it to her but very little passed out.” 0 likes