Start by marking “Oh My Gods” as Want to Read:
Oh My Gods

Oh My Gods

Life as a half-mortal teenager should be epic.
But, for Helen Thomas, it's tragic.

She's just moved in with her dorky dad and self-absorbed older siblings - who happen to be the ancient Greek gods, living incognito in London!

Between keeping her family's true identities secret, trying to impress her new friends, and meeting an actually cute boy, Helen's stress levels are hig
Published January 3rd 2019 by Scholastic UK

To ask other readers questions about Oh My Gods, please sign up.
bookworm.net I also thought this book was like the Percy Jackson ones, but this one is more modern, with more modern-times problems. You might think it's boring at…moreI also thought this book was like the Percy Jackson ones, but this one is more modern, with more modern-times problems. You might think it's boring at the start, but it gets more tensioning at the end. Try it! (less)

Start your review of Oh My Gods
Ms. Woc Reader
I really enjoyed this story. Teenage me would've devoured this book in one day. Adult me too a little more time with this between the holiday season and reading other stories. But it had that carefree nostalgic feel to it that reminded me of stories I read as a preteen and teen.

Oh My Gods centers around Helen Thomas, a 14 year old girl who is half British Jamaican and half Greek God who moves in with her father Zeus(Yes, King of the Gods) a couple of years after her mother's death when her gran
Silesia
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was excited about this book from the moment that I read the acquisition announcement in the Bookseller. It looked like it was going to be the book that 14-year-old me was desperate for. A story about a relatable, insecure teenaged black girl who lives in London combined with my (almost) snobby knowledge of and love for Greek mythology.

The book opens with a light and conversational letter from Helen to her mum. It gives a pure, unobscured window into her mind and by the end of the letter I fel
halfirishgrin
This was a really fun, light-hearted read, but didn't quite mesh with me. I kind of wish we had got more of the Gods interacting with Helen, and seen more of their relationships. As it stands, it seemed like most of the characters were very underdeveloped, and as a result it was difficult to really root for them. I think Helen's friends especially were underdeveloped, and I honestly could not tell any of them apart.

I was also a little put off by the whole writing letters to her mom thing - it f
Oda Renate
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-books
Fun take on demigods and greek mythology.
Unlike other books with greek mythology this is mych more comedy than action, though there is some action in there.
It is predictable but in a nice way.
There are not too many conflict in this story which makes for a nice and comforting read- espesially appriciated since the last 3 books I read were subpar in my opinion.
Sophie
I hadn't really heard anything about this book until I was browsing Waterstones one day, and decided to treat myself to celebrate getting a new job. And my god, am I glad I picked it up! Anything to do with mythology is automatically a book for me, being a Classics graduate and all, and this book did not disappoint at all. Helen is a demi-god - half human/half god - who has had to move in with her absentee father, who also happens to be Zeus, and her half siblings (Aphrodite, Apollo, and Eros), ...more
Gabby
This was an okay read, nothing spectacular. My own expectations could be to blame. While Helen was constantly surrounded by Greek Gods and was under the threat of Mount Olympus, I never really felt the mythology aspect of it. It just seemed a bit lacklustre in it's exploration and characterisations.

Additionally, I'm still unsure on how I feel about Helen's romance. I'm unsure on whether or not he was a demi-god, or an actual God. I think he was the later, as he was referred to as 'immortal' (an
Nikki
Feb 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Good honest fun!

I was hyped for this as it looked super fun, and the cover is definitely drawing in the right vibe. It’s set In modern London and it’s about a teen trying to fit into a new life when she is related to Greek Gods. What’s not to like about that?

It is definitely at the lighter end of the scale, but it’s a quick easy read and will make you smile. And that’s honestly what I wanted from this book!

I saw the ending coming, so it wasn’t really anything too surprising, which is why I gave
Jaleesa
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thought that this book was actually really cute. I do not think I am the target demographic but I could appreciate it for what it was. It was very easy to get through and it was funny and charming. I would recommend it for teens interested in Greek mythology or for anyone looking for a quick read with some heart to it.
Temi Lasade-Anderson
Feels like teen spirit!

I love YA and teenage diaries, and Helen really reminded me of myself. Especially love reading about teenage life as an adult and Alex's writing took me straight back to my teen angst. Such a fun book - I hope it's a series!
Esmė
Jun 26, 2020 rated it liked it
If I read this at 13, I probably would have loved it - the author cites the Georgia Nicholson series as a favourite and I can definitely see that here!

Tonally it has a few issues, swinging from cutesy early teen situations like playing with makeup at sleepovers and complaining about homework to our 14 year old narrator Helen discussing how she lusts for her boyfriend and her family at one point thinking she's pregnant which was a bit eek!!!! Helen meeting up with her boyfriend, who none of her
Eve beinguniquebooks
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Helen is a semi God and living with her dad Zeus and half sister Aphrodite after moving back to London and leaving her grandma's.

Her friends Noor, Daphne and Yasmin all planned to throw a New Year's Party which at last minute gets relocated to Helen's behind her dad's back and there she meets Marco, her dreamy guy who gave her her first kiss!

However with family around, Eros and Apollo her dad is always out with his new girlfriend Lisa and despite being head of the Gods seems to be distracted bey
Emilie Emzbooksandco
I was so hyped for this book, and I’m so disappointed… I mean, it wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t that good either.
Greek Mythology is clearly my thing, so when I found out this book was about Greek Gods but in the contemporary world, living among us, I was thrilled.

But as soon as I started this book, I knew I was going to be disappointed. I don’t know, I guess it wasn’t for me. I think I was expecting a lot, and it didn’t hit my expectations.

I didn’t like the end at all, Hades being nice was not rig
Sabrina
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: booktails
I love anything to do with mythology, particularly Greek so that meant I just had to read this book. Being half Greek, though unfortunately not half Goddess, made it even more appealing.
Helen is such a down to Earth, normal girl apart from the little matter of her father being the King of the Greek Gods. She hasn't had the easiest life so far and now she just wants to settle down in her new home, make some friends at school and maybe even have her first real kiss. Of course, life never goes to p
Reni Amayo
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was fantastic! An absolutely delightful read! A fun, light book full of humour with an interesting, contemporary take on Greek mythology.

Helen is a typical teen, dealing with boys, schools and troublesome relations - only they just happen to be gods and goddesses. I laughed so much whilst reading this and I only wish I could have read this book whilst I was growing up. If you liked Meg Cabot and Jacqueline Wilson’s books then you’ll love ‘Oh My Gods’!
Doreen
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kast
I adored the take on Greek mythology in the present day life. The ending was predictable but I honestly couldn’t really care bc it was so funny!
Katy Noyes
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Amusing 'contemporary female relation of Greek Gods' tale.

Maz Evans and Rick Riordan have both brought Greek mythology to the 21st century, placing young contemporary protagonists slap-bang in the middle of the Gods and relationships, keeping the stories alive and interesting. Both of those looked to the KS2-KS3 age range, whereas here, Sheppard looks at a teenage girl heading towards the other end of the teenage years and drops her in the midst of an Olympian drama.

Helen is a pretty normal teen
Josefine May
Jul 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
1,5*

I didn’t hate this book, I just reaaaally disliked it. It had its moments, but they were few and easily overshadowed by all the other stuff happening.

When I started reading this book I thought the main character was a quirky 17/18-year-old... turns out she’s 14... and all she really wants in life is attention. She talked a lot about her first kiss and how it was embarrassing if you “haven’t kissed someone before you turn 15”. Her first kiss which she receives not long after, is from a boy sh
Christina Reid
Jun 08, 2019 rated it liked it
I picked this up because I wanted a light, fun read inspired by Greek mythology - and that's exactly what I got! Helen is one of Zeus' half-god, half-human children and she moves in with him and her older sister Aphrodite, soon to be joined by Eros and Apollo.
First she has to deal with moving schools then her father's strict rules and her immortal relations using their magic in the real world. I thought that Helen was a very realistic teenager and I liked seeing her make friends quickly which, w
Callista  Campbell
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great book! It was a nice change from all of the serious and philosophical books I was recently reading. It features Helen Thomas, who is a demigod and wants nothing more than a normal family. She must make an effort to rein in her godly family to stop it ruining her social life. The end of the story was touching and did have a good meaning behind it It was a fairly lighthearted read with really good mix of humour and mythology.
Margz Cafifge
May 31, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020-reads, ebook
I WAS ALREADY UNINTERESTED LATELY WITH READING BOOKS SINCE EVERYTHING I PICKED UP SEEMS BLAND AND REPETITIVE. I THOUGHT I'D APPRECIATE THIS ONE SINCE IT'S CENTERED ON GREEK MYTHOLOGY AND GIVES OFF PJO VIBES. FLASHFORWARD, THE POV FELT JUMBLED WITH THE CHARACTER'S THOUGHTS AND THE STORYLINE JUST FELT OFF. YIKES!
Kate
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I wish I'd had this book as a young teenager. It was the mortal bits I loved the most- the school friends, group chats, north London. And nothing beats it when a bus route you know comes up in a book!
Kristina
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved Oh My Gods! I'm giving it 4 stars because I feel like the ending was a little rushed and I would have loved more development in the action at the end!
Elizabeth Rose
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was so sweet and so fun to read. It was easy going and I loved the way the personality of the Gods was captured. It made me laugh and I highly recommend!
Rebecca Lunaris
Nov 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
Not bad. Not good. Enjoyable but predictable.
Georgi
Jun 15, 2020 rated it liked it
More like 3.5 stars.. I found it a bit too predictable but it was a good read!
Georgina Bawden
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Helen's teenage foot-in-mouth moments had me laughing out loud, her letters to her mum made me cry, and I stayed up late to finish it. I enjoyed this book so much as an adult and I would have lapped it up as a teen. I can't wait to see what Alex does next.
Natty❤Malec
Nov 22, 2019 rated it liked it
I picked this up because it’s about Greek gods, but actually it was quite a nice take on it. Alexandra Sheppard wins brownie points for being inspired by Percy Jackson. I think I’d really like this book if not for the fact that I’ve already encountered better stories featuring the Greek gods, namely Percy Jackson. It all felt just a little juvenile in comparison, but I still really liked the book. It’s actually been almost three weeks since I read this, and I’ve read so many other books since th ...more
Kath Lambert
Feb 13, 2019 rated it liked it
I talked in a previous review about how I ended up reading the first fiction novel of a writer who I first found out about at Grrrlcon, but this time around I read a first novel from a fellow attendee of Write Like A Grrrl, which was the precursor to Grrrlcon. A workshop that I also attended.

Therefore I am all about grrrls supporting grrrls, and I’m really glad I bought this book as it didn’t disappoint. The story centres on Helen, a half mortal daughter of the Greek God Zeus, living in London
Paramjot
Aug 14, 2019 rated it liked it
3 Stars

Oh My Gods is a teen contemporary about Helen who is the half-god daughter of Zeus and her trying to live a normal life. I picked this book up because I wanted to read more UKYA novels and the concept sounded fun. I was expecting to read something more on the adventure side rather than contemporary so the writing style of this book was a surprise. Helen is 14 and her voice sounds like a 14 year old - talking about boys and makeup and sleepovers and how her family are ruining her life. S
kory.
I read this for the 2019 NEWTs Readathon "350-390 pages" prompt.

I thought this was going to be very fun and filled with humor, but god damn I did not like anything about this.

Content/trigger warnings for ableism, mentions of death of mother, mentions of racism,

Rep: The MC and some side characters are Black.

Part of why I dislike this so much is because I didn't know how young the MC was going in. I thought she was 16/17, so the first bit of the book, I was like.....she seems a bit...childish? The
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Paper & Hearts Society (The Paper & Hearts Society #1)
  • High-rise Mystery
  • Jemima Small Versus the Universe
  • Proud
  • A Pocketful of Stars
  • The Black Flamingo
  • What Magic Is This?
  • Under a Dancing Star
  • Fierce Fragile Hearts (Beautiful Broken Things, #2)
  • The Case of the Drowned Pearl: A Murder Most Unladylike Mini-Mystery: World Book Day 2020
  • The Star Outside my Window
  • Happy Girl Lucky (The Valentines, #1)
  • Kick the Moon
  • Slay
  • "I Will Not Be Erased": Our stories about growing up as people of colour
  • Meat Market
  • The House of One Hundred Clocks
  • Love, Secret Santa
I'm an author from North London, and my debut novel OH MY GODS will be published by Scholastic in January 2019. To say I'm excited would be an understatement.

When I'm not writing YA fiction, I'm a social media strategist (it's a real job, I promise), and love to bake nearly as much as I love to read.