Start by marking “The Dog Who Wanted to Fly” as Want to Read:
The Dog Who Wanted to Fly

The Dog Who Wanted to Fly

Who says dogs can't fly? Meet Zora: a dog with a big dream and an even bigger personality. All Zora wants to do is learn how to fly so she can catch that pesky squirrel in her yard. But try as she might to prove to her friend Tully--a skeptical cat--that dogs truly can fly, nothing seems to work. Until Zora finds the right motivation, that is. Kathy Stinson's charming stor ...more
Expected publication: March 12th 2019 by Annick Press

To ask other readers questions about The Dog Who Wanted to Fly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dog Who Wanted to Fly

Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute book about trying your hardest, even when gravity and the fates are against you.

Zora the dog feels that the only way she can catch that annoying squirrel is if she could fly, so she tries everything she can to do so.

Tully, the cat keeps saying that dogs can’t fly, so to give it up.

But Zora is anything, if not determined.

And in the end, she does fly, if only for moment, if not to get the squirrel, but to save Tully.

Friendship and love can overcome anything. Well, most everything.

Cute pictu
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Ever since reading Red is Best to my son when he was little, Kathy Stinson was a favourite author of ours. Now I am reading her books to my his children and I can't wait to get a physical copy of this book to read to them. Zora really wants to catch a squirrel but is just not fast enough. Maybe if I can fly, Zora thinks. Tully, the cat, relaxing in the tree just keeps saying, "Dogs can't fly", that is until a friend is in danger.

The Dog Who Wanted to Fly is a sweet story about pursuing dreams an
Michelle
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Annick Press Ltd. and Netgalley for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.

The Dog Who Wanted to Fly by Kathy Stinson was everything I hoped it would be. As a dog mom to two golden retrievers, I instantly fell in love with Zora and her quest to learn to fly (so she could catch her pesky nemesis - the squirrel!!). My youngest golden, Atticus, is always on the lookout for squirrels so our family can definitely relate to the premise of this cute story!

The
La Coccinelle
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Zora is a dog who wants to fly. She wants to fly so she can catch a squirrel, which I guess is a reasonable goal for a dog. So she tries different methods to get herself airborne. Not much works, until she's faced with actually needing to fly to help a friend.

I'm not sure if the friend got into trouble on purpose, just to motivate Zora to do what she did (the nature of the creature in question makes me wonder). The outcome is a little abrupt, and at first I was a little surprised that the book h
Etienne
Nov 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute and funny story, kids would probably laugh a lot in this one, but the story was a bit too light for my own taste. The illustrations were beautiful in a very 3d modern style that should please the young ones. Not extraordinary, but worth it!
Lana
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The relationship between neighborhood animals can be so entertaining. My guess is Stinson has been inspired by her share of silly behavior out her back door!
In this story, Zora the dog wants nothing more than to catch that pesky squirrel. She tries everything she can think of, still the squirrel chatters on while both the cat and the squirrel watch from above. “That is because...” the cat explains, “dogs can’t fly.”
Now, Zora is determined to show them, yes she CAN fly! But it’s not until Tully
Storywraps
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book, especially the illustrations. Zora, a loveable dog, has personality plus. She is quite a character. Her dream is to fly so she can catch the pesky squirrel that keeps taunting her in her backyard. The squirrel knows just how to press Zora's buttons and Zora wants to rise to the occasion (literally) to teach that scallywag a lesson.

Tully, a skeptical cat, discourages Zora and tells her that there is no way that dogs can possibly fly. Zora tries hard to prove Tully wrong. She fl
Lindsi (Do You Dog-ear?)
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts and opinions are my own. Any quotes I use are from an unpublished copy and may not reflect the finished product.

I'm not really sure how to review this book, since I think there was something wrong with my review copy. The words didn't match the illustrations, and for most of the book I thought Tully was the squirrel instead of the cat. It makes sense now that I've read it (and reading the synopsis beforehand would hav
CynthiaA
Jan 11, 2019 rated it liked it
This would be a fun book to read with children who like dogs and will especially connect with children who have dogs who chase squirrels. Zora, the silly dog and Tully, the serious cat are wonderfully portrayed with lots of good facial expressions and "body talk" in the drawings so that the children could identify their thoughts and feelings. For example, it is perfectly clear even without the text saying so that Tully does not believe that Zora will ever be able to fly. The chittering squirrel ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
The Dog Who Wanted to Fly by Kathy Stinson and Illustrated by Brandon Scott –PICTURE BOOK. Annick, 2019. $18.00. 9781773212807

BUYING ADVISORY: EL (K-3) – NO

AUDIENCE APPEAL: LOW

Zora wants to fly, mostly to get after the squirrel that is always making fun of her. Her cat friend Tully doesn’t think that dogs can fly. Zora looks at the flying things in the world around her for inspiration and keeps trying. When Tully the cat needs her help, can Zora find the confidence to fly?

This is a cute story, b
Magy
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Zora wants to fly. She needs to fly. She wants to prove Tully the cat wrong and get to that chittering squirrel on the fence. Despite Zora’s best efforts, she just can’t figure it out. Flapping her ears and wagging her tail? Launching off a teeter-totter? Nothing seems to work… until Tully needs help and Zora springs into action – and flight.

The expressive illustrations often say as much as the text. Kids will laugh out loud at the humorous story and lively pictures. I know it’s only February, b
Meghan
Shelves: library
This book was received as an ARC from Annick Press in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

I was so fascinated by the pictures of this book. The images were so beautifully drawn and painted that it brought the story of Zora to life and achieving her dream to fly. This book will be amazing for the children and is the perfect book for a storytime or a Toddler Activity Time! The characters are just so original and witty that it made the
Tiffany Neal
I received a digital ARC from Netgalley to review.

Short, sweet picture book about a dog who wants to fly and doesn’t give up on his goals to do so. The story seemed like it wasn’t fully developed and could have been expanded upon some. The illustrations are fantastic.

Fun book for the early grades.
Dawn
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Such a cute story about trying your best always. You never know what you are capable of when you need to do something so never give up. Loved the illustration. one I would share with my own granddaughter.
Melanie Dulaney
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun picture book for the 2 to 7 year old dog lover. The cheerful and detailed artwork adds action and movement to the text and provides more conversation-starting material for teachers and care-givers. Solid purchase for libraries. Thanks for the dARC, NetGalley.
Debra Schoenberger
Adorable and funny! I love the squirrel. :D
Neha Thakkar
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
So cute! The ending seemed abrupt, but it may be the e-ARC I have. Very young, repetitious, about a dog who wants to fly. He keeps trying. And then 😍 Thanks to Netgalley for the e-ARC.
Ariel Webb
Jan 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you Netgalley for the advance copy of this book. Cute illustrations. I felt the story to be super simplistic and bit lackluster. Would have liked a bit mode substance.
Leah
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
very cute and i feel like if my dog could talk, she would relate.
Engel Dreizehn
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
ARC Copy...expressive and almost impression in style-touch illustrations coupled with the warm yet funny narrative of a dog who never give up on her attempts/dreams to fly.
Annamae
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Dog Who Wanted to Fly by Kathy Stinson is an entertaining and funny book about never giving up. Which is beautifully illustrated to enhance the story line. Zora believes she can learn to fly, a freedom she has never experienced. Read the book to enjoy this wonderful story.

Thank you to NetGalley and Annick Press for the ARC,
Cat
Dec 13, 2018 added it
Lol! Funny story! No way to relay the story without giving away the ending! I love Zora! The littles will enjoy this story about a dog wanting to fly in order to catch an annoying squirrel! The illustrations are so cute and funny!

I received a Kindle ARC from Netgalley in exchange for a fair review.
Maria
Feb 14, 2019
Cara
Dec 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Thank you Netgalley for allowing me to review this title. The story was very simple... a dog wanted to fly.
The illustrations were very cute, the story was ok, nothing great. I am still trying to figure out the relevance of the squirrel.
Lindsey Lewis
Jan 26, 2019
Teresa Grabs
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh my gosh! This is such a cute book! Stinson's story about Zora, a dog who wants to fly so they can catch the pesky squirrel that hangs out on their fence, is wonderful and Scott's illustrations are brilliant! After deciding they wanted to fly, Zora set about trying a variety of things. None of which worked, but did entertain both the squirrel and the cat, Tully. In the end, Tully was in danger, and Zora finally learned how to fly.

I truly loved this picture book! As someone who has sat for hour
Lily
Feb 12, 2019
Janine Brouillette
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
In The Dog Who Wanted to Fly, Zora, the dog, has a dream to fly although her friends told her no way. Zora was sure with a little practice that she could——-she flapped her ears, wagged her tail, but just crashes. Zora tried the teeter-totter, a picnic umbrella, but nothing worked to hep her catch the squirrel. She just didn’t understand since she could do other tricks like jumping, shake a paw, roll over, but still couldn’t fly. Just when she was about to give up, she heard Tully, the cat, was i ...more
Janet Slipak
Jan 11, 2019
Amber Webb
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute story, but could use more substance. The story arc is basically the title. The dog wanted to fly but his reason wasn't good enough and nothing seemed to work. Until he had a big enough reason to fly.
Kathy Stinson, author of internationally acclaimed Canadian children's classic, Red is Best and the TD Award Winner, The Man with the Violin, also writes novels, short stories, and nonfiction for young people of all ages.