Start by marking “The Other Side” as Want to Read:
The Other Side

The Other Side

"If one thought created the universe, then who was the first to think?"

The Other Side is a mystery and fantasy novel that delves into a parallel world that almost completely reflects our own.

If people reflect us, then what could we say about our emotions? Is our sadness a result of their happiness?

𝐌𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐚𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐲...

Leon J. Granttley is a seventeen-year-old boy who
Published July 14th 2018 by Independently Published (first published October 8th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Other Side, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Other Side

Start your review of The Other Side
Justin Gladstone
May 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
I'm posting this two years after The Other Side's publication.

I know myself better as a writer and a person. I see where efforts are and where they could've gone back then. So I will honestly give myself an honest rating of 4/5 stars.

1 star was removed because I know what I could've done better. The four come from the expectations that I yearned to achieve with this debut novel. Needless to say, they were what I wanted and more.

To all that have read this starting story, I can't wait to show yo
Brenda (Entre letras y páginas)
Sep 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
“As the blinding light swallows Leon, the background begins to evaporate, the once tenacious bowel of light is now cloaked by a bottomless abyss, stretching stygian blankets amongst lightyears farther than the eye of curiosity can possibly ensue.
From the opposite end of the illuminated transparent path, is Leon or so it seems to be; he stares unkindly to his reflection. Inhumane and yet satisfied, The Voice continues down its path.
“It’s about time,” The gravely-throaty voice assents whi
Shannon Rohrer
DNF at 26%. I really wanted to like this, because the concept seems right up my alley. Unfortunately, too many issues got in the way, constantly dragging me out of the story. Grammatically, there was a lack of punctuation, words being used incorrectly, and other miscellany. Outside of that, my other issues with this story came down to characterization, dialogue and setting: The characters were often inconsistent in their personalities and actions, the dialogue felt forced or made little sense, a ...more
Emma
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was sent this book by someone who I am pleased to call a new friend, and was instantly intrigued by the plot. It took me a while to finish this book because of the timing, I had a lot of University work to contend with but it was lovely to come home to read this.

I was immediately struck by how creative the book is, the QR codes are an ingenious idea. To be able to create an image in your head from the narrative, and then see direct images of how the work has been envisaged is really fun.

The cr
Neha Garg (thereadingowl_)
What I liked:

📌The blurb made me super excited when I first came to know about it, Multiple universes which reflect your own? Yes please.
📌The next best thing is the cover. The design is oh so intriguing. And it comes with a companion book that has gorgeous illustrations.
📌Coming to the book now, I liked the concept. It is fresh and brilliantly thought through. Justin has created new scientific phenomenons which he has used as base of how the worlds coexist and communicate. The timeline is also wel
Vachara
Oct 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
It took me a while but I finally finished 🌛THE OTHER SIDE🌜 by Justin Jay Gladstone

What is sure is that this book is simply unique: to read it, you will need a mirror for some passages but also your phone because there are QR codes that will lead you to illustrations.

The author took several years to write this novel and you can feel it in the evolution of his writing style, the second part of the story is much more structured and more intriguing too.

The construction of the universe and of
Keava The Book Geek
Sep 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was such a great story. It is a fantastical sci-fi adventure that will leave you reeling. The artwork on the cover is magnificent and mirrors exactly what this story is about. It was a fascinating yet complex story that deserves and commands the readers attention. I think the plot and characters were very well developed as the author was very descriptive in his writing. If you enjoy reading sci-fi, mystery or fantasy, you will more than likely enjoy this book.
Dahlia Burroughs
Jun 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Names, ethnicities, genders, sexes, events, morals, truly anything that exists can be reflected.
People are only innocent at birth.

I was given an ebook of The Other Side from the author in exchange for an honest review.

With our interests now pointing towards diverse casts in novels, readers are focused on what makes us important as humans. We are no longer our illnesses, whether physical, mental or otherwise. But we must remember that our illnesses make us who we are.

We are seeing an increasing n
Kimberly Godwin
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indieauthor
Leon has a problem, he stands accused of sexually assaulting his friend Allie but he has no memory of the day that the assault happened. There are times when he hears another voice inside of his head, his devil on the shoulder, that teases him and tells him to act contrary to his nature. His relationships with his friends are strained as they are unsure of which friend to believe. Leon doesn’t know himself. He cares for Allie and wouldn’t do anything to hurt her, but something happened. And she ...more
Parnika Gupta
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
📚 Book Review : The Other Side by @theothersideeb 📚
The Other Side was sent to me by my good friend Justin Jay. I was quite intrigued by the cover picture itself. I didn't know about the concept in the book but the cover is what attracted me towards it.
The Other Side is the story of Leon and his struggle with a voice in his head. The book takes us on a journey with Leon to discover his "other" And all the troubles that come along with it. The book is based on the reflection principles that are ca
Books district
Jun 08, 2019 rated it liked it
RATING: 3.5
❝This book itself is the correction to all the error that my mind wrote. ❞
—The other side
📚
This book was sent to me by the author, so I want to want to take a moment to thank him again.
Before starting with my thoughts on the story, can we talk about how beautiful the cover is?! It was the first thing that captured me, before reading the plot. I have to admit that these kind of books, science fictional ones, are not what I'm usually into...but after reading that this book was about Mul
Srishti Mahato
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Who created us? Who created this world? Is there a parallel universe? Is earth the only planet with life? 🌎

As not many people know but I am a physics student and I'm always interested in theories of physics which involves multiple universes. I've spent a fair amount of time over the last few years reading about them and discussing the ideas with my fellow classmates. So this might be the longest time I've taken to review a book and I'm very apologetic about it to the Authors. But it is also beca
Maria Ashen
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
He paints a wonderful ‘Worture’. (Picture with words). :)
He creates tension, excitement, and even a little danger.

He uses something I have never seen in books before, QR-codes. He paints a picture with words so wonderfully, and then suddenly a code, you scan it, and get a picture of what Jay imagined himself, so you can see if your imagination were close to his, or completely far off. I think he did a great job, showing me what he was seeing himself, instead of telling about it.

We follow a yo
Prarinthepustakaaley
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book. OMG THIS BOOK. Science fiction is not my cup of tea, never been, but I had an absolute Gala time reading this. I took my own sweet time reading this book because 1. the book is so thick and I didn't want it to end & 2. It is written so beautifully that the images start playing in your head and you have to stop and absorb everything. And the companion book and QR codes just add up to the amazing book and make it an experience. I'm going to remember this book for the years to come becau ...more
Kriti
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Book : The other side
Author : Justin Jay Gladstone, Nitsug Yaj Enotsdalg
Rating : 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

About the book :

I'll start with the plot first. It was very interesting and well developed.

Writing style was amazing. It was very creative.

The author has put great efforts in writing this beautiful story.

Cover is beautiful and it goes well with the story. Title is apt.

Characterization was good.
And you can instantly connect with the characters.

The story talks about the parallel universe .
Everyone who loves
Matt Wojo
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
A world of dark, and a world of light. Every choice you made, every thought you've had, every evil you've let yourself succumb to will be revealed on the other side. A wonderfully fresh novel on two worlds as perfect opposites, and personalities equating the same. Follow your main charachter and watch him uncover the secret to his so called "mental illness" and help change their worlds. From a young and aspiring writer who you just know is not done yet. Take a look at this book and then after yo ...more
Pau Gomez
Sep 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First of all, I would like to thank the author for trusting me to review his book. From the moment it came, I loved the edition and the cover. Throughout the reading I found more illustrations that I also liked very much. Above all, I would like to highlight the great work behind it that meant the creation of a completely different world from the one we know, reflecting opposing character personalities that the author also created. The development of the scenes, of all the characters and their " ...more
BookzBookzBookz
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Other Side book is an enigma. It's a book that is so complex, so descriptive and creative, it comes with a companion. My copy has it built in with carefully crafted images, QR Codes and even symbols at the bottom of the pages to let you know whether you're in the past or in the future. ALSO, explanations to Reflection Principals and there are even YouTube videos that tell the story and share the characters of the novel. How is that for creativity? It's set unto allow you experience of the bo ...more
Lauren Knapper
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. The concept behind it was so original and so well thought out that it made the novel a fascinating read. The Other Side had so many interesting elements. It felt like it was a mystery thriller but mixed with a fantastic science fiction edge. The characters were compelling and I was constantly intrigued to see their differences in the other universe. I can’t wait to see what happens next as the story continues.
Danielle
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
What if you learned that you had an other? Not a twin or a doppelgänger, but another version of you living in an alternate dimension?

Leon Granttley has been accused of sexually assaulting his best friend, Allie, and instead of facing jail time, he’s sent to the Earthshine Facility for rehabilitation. Ultimately diagnosed with DID, Leon works through the program in hopes of being discharged and conquering the malicious voice inside his head. But what he doesn’t yet realize is that the voice isn’t
Loslibrosdepandora
Okay, first of all, I feel like this author(s) has a lot of potential. I think that is the best way to summarize my mixed feelings for this books. There were parts that I really really liked and parts that I didn't care so much about. Let's break this down (spoiler-free, of course):
Things I liked:
-The writing when it got poetic in the narration. I think that is the book's strongest point.
-The overarching ideas and themes behind the book. They are very interesting concepts.
-Leon's sister (she
Vikkie
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a super surprise when delivered- another huge thanks to the author. I adore the cover, it’s so elegant and enticing. I definitely couldn’t wait to get stuck into this one.
I have not been disappointed at all, I have loved it! There is tension, excitement and danger. The blurb made me very excited to get stuck into and this is a book I would highly recommend to other readers.
I’m the first to admit that science fiction is not my preferred genre of book- it’s no secret I’m much happier with
Nony
Aug 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Other Side: Limited Edition is a mystery and fantasy novel. It is the debut novel of the author. The protagonist of the story is Leon. He was diagnosed with mental issue and was seeing a therapist Stephan Giro.

Leon was accused for sexually assaulting his friend Allie Reincath. It was believed that he had given her Melatonin pill so he can take the advantage of her. But Leon doesn't have any memory of the day when all this happened.

He was enrolled to the Earthshine Facility for treatment bu
Craigh Morgan
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always said that this book had a little bit of everything in it. I see it as a budding ground for all the elements to raise in. When I first beta read this book, I was told that it was more dystopian than anything else. But I feel like The Other Side is a story of transcendence. What starts out like a mystery and thriller, becomes a dramatically sweeping epic that leaves in the right places at right time. I can’t wait to read their future novels.
Shane A
Jan 14, 2019 rated it liked it
An intriguing concept with truly limitless potential. The characters and worlds built in this multiverse are both memorable and relatable, and the artwork strewn throughout the story make it a truly special experience. This is a fantastic book for young readers especially because I can tell early on that it will mature as the readers do and the series will only get better as time goes on and new books are added.

I can't wait to see what book two has in store for us!
allineedisbooks_
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
The cover of the book is beautiful and title of the book is interesting and totally related to the story.
Writing style of the author is appreciable. Language used is simple and easy to understand. Narration is good going. Story is medium paced. The best thing about the book are the QR codes. It's really something different. We generally don't see them in books. Really a creative and imaginative idea.
I found the book full of mysteries, thrillers and drama. The characters are well developed and yo
Emily Quinn
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I expected great things from this book after reading the synopsis, but it exceeded all my expectations! Justin is such a talented novelist with a keen eye for adventure and detail. The Other Side is a masterpiece and I'd recommend to anyone looking for something to read that's filled with excitement and wonder. An amazing read 😊 ...more
Sean Robert
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve beta read this book countless through the past couple years. I’ve seen many things and characters develop, but I’m most intrigued how the characters flow with one another. The dialogue is natural and almost makes you feel like you’re right there with them.
Joseph Reyes
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Other Side is a wonderful book to read. It incorporates real hardships and struggles of disassociative identity disorder with the fantasy of other dimensions, to create something entirely original.
Esther Jones
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was ok

• First of Their Kind
  • Ravensong (Green Creek, #2)
  • Los días de Alina: ¿Puede el amor armarte o desarmarte?
  • Todos Tus Miedos: (Inspirado en hechos reales) | Cualquier cosa será mejor que sentir ese desesperante vacío
  • Casi amor
  • Honeycake: A Family of Spices
  • Roseneath
  • I wonder what the little black boy dreams about
  • A New Day For Cray (The Adventures of Cray on the Bay)
  • Dear Hope
  • Mrs. Basu's Uncensored Familism
  • The Possessed
  • Rangers of West Point: Ranger book 1 (After Prime)
  • Her Eyes Underwater: A True-Crime Inspired Romantic Thriller
  • Black Girl Shine!
  • A Gallery of Mothers (Brathius History #2)
  • Boo
  • Becoming Grim (Becoming Grim #1)