Start by marking “Ollie Oxley and the Ghost: The Search for Lost Gold” as Want to Read:
Ollie Oxley and the Ghost: The Search for Lost Gold

Ollie Oxley and the Ghost: The Search for Lost Gold

Twelve-year-old Ollie Oxley is moving — again. His mom is starting another new job, this time at the Bingham Theater in Granite City, California. Moving all the time means Ollie has struggled in the making friends department, but he quickly connects with a boy named Teddy. To Ollie's surprise, though, his first friend in town is a little more... unique than those he's made ...more
Published June 18th 2019 by North Star Editions/Jolly Fish Press

To ask other readers questions about Ollie Oxley and the Ghost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ollie Oxley and the Ghost

jv poore
Ollie and his funky little family are on the move. Again. Places change; but, the nerve-racking, new-kid nuances do not. He understands the reason; he just loathes the result.

Mom makes the money to support the trio. She loves her job and is quite good at it, but traipsing across the continent for theater doesn’t exactly enthuse Ollie. The fact that each move sends his little sister over the moon with plans and possibilities is also not helpful.

At a blush, the females in the family seem to share
Montzalee Wittmann
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ollie Oxley and the Ghost: The Search for Lost Gold by Lisa Schmid is a book I requested from NetGalley and the review is voluntary. This is a delightful middle school book with great characters, dialogue, plot, and mystery! I enjoyed it and I am not a middle grade kid!
I think my 12 and 13 year old grand kids would love this book! Even kids younger than that but like I said, I would even like it! Suspense mixed with mystery and humor!
Juli
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another new town. A new school. No friends. It's all happening again. Ollie Oxley and his family have just moved to Granite City, CA. Ollie hopes this move will be better than the last...but it's doubtful. They live in a pink house. He manages to offend the local bully on the first day. And, his new best friend is a ghost. Poor Ollie.

I enjoy reading middle grade books. I read a lot of horror, mystery, thriller type stories...and sometimes I just need a palate cleanser. I always head to children
Ivonne Rovira
May 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: tweens only
Recommended to Ivonne by: NetGalley
Author Lisa Schmid has penned an enjoyable, if predictable, middle-grade novel with Ollie Oxley and the Ghost: The Search for Lost Gold, the first of what’s clearly meant to be a series.

The titular Ollie Oxley once again finds himself as the new kid when his peripatetic mother relocates to Granite City, Calif. It won’t be spoiler to say that he encounters a ghost, an eternally 12- or 13-year boy named Teddy who died in the mid-19th century when Granite City was a Gold Rush town. Nor will it com
Tasmin Andrews
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: author-s
I received a copy of this book from NetGallery as I was intrigued by the title and wanted to read a book for the younger generation as I'm training to be a teacher. I was very impressed by the writing and the creativeness of the story. I don't read many middle grade books but after enjoying this I'll be reading them in the future. Surprisingly I was really engaged with the story and when I put it down I wanted to carry on reading what happened next.

The story starts with a family moving into a n
Cassie Thomas
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the perfect middle grade fun ghost story! Ollie’s story is one that I know kids will really enjoy figuring out what happens. I had so much fun reading this story. I can see myself using it in the classroom as how to grow an imaginative story!
This was a ghost story, but not a scary story. Teddy is a friendly ghost, but of his new friends, since Ollie has to move a lot, only he can see the ghost, which makes it look as though he is talking to himself.

The reason he has to move a lot is his mother is in the theatre, and this town, her old home town, is hopefully the last stop.

But of course, to have a story there has to be something that is about to go wrong, and in this case, the theatre is about to close because the mortgage can't be p
Kristin Thorsness
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was a delight from start to finish. The story follows new-kid Ollie as he starts middle school, takes on the town bully, worries about his mom’s theater being closed (which would spell yet another move), and also makes friends with A GHOST!!!

The interactions between Ollie and the (very friendly) ghost, Teddy, are quick witted and hilarious, not scary, but the suspense of the theater’s impending closure and the school bully keep the tension high throughout the story. Together, Ollie an
Nikki Barthelmess
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
***Thank you to NetGalley and Jolly Fish Press/ North Star Editions for providing me with an advanced ARC of Ollie Oxley and the Ghost: The Search for Lost Gold in exchange for my honest and unbiased review.***

Ollie Oxley and The Ghost is a delightful read. Lisa Schmid delivers an original story, with likable characters that surprise you and keep you laughing until the last page.
Highly recommend!
Catherine
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this fun, funny book! I've read early versions and it always makes me happy. Creative, heartfelt, and full of humor.
Lana
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ollie Oxley was such a fun middle grade book! Twelve year old Ollie Oxley is tired of constantly moving from one town to the next. His latest home is in an old pink house in Granite City. As if a pink house isn’t bad enough, Ollie soon realizes his home is haunted by a boy named Teddy. Ollie has his fair share of problems in his new town but he definitely doesn’t want to move again.
This story has hidden treasure, bullies, a race for class president and the time is running out on all of it. Can O
Alexa
I received an ARC of this through NetGalley.

I’m just messing with you. My sense of humour didn’t die with me.

Sometimes, all you need is a fun, easy-to-digest middle grade adventure. With a snarky ghost.

I was drawn to this book by the cover, and the promise of mystery and ghostly adventures, and it didn’t disappoint. I’m going to be honest, at first I groaned at little details such as the main boy character hating the colour pink, or the stereotypical bully stealing lunch money (seriously, who do
Mehsi
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

Oh my, a lovely ghost story with tons of friendship and fun has appeared! I already was curious about this book and then I finally had the chance to read it when I spotted it on Netgalley.

It took me a bit before I had the chance to read it, but here I am. And I enjoyed it oh so much. With the exception of Aubrey. I didn't like that girl at all. Bleh.

Meet Ollie, he is the new kid in the town and hopes that this time they settle
Wendy MacKnight
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-reads
What a delightful book! I loved Ollie’s adventure, and Lisa finds a way to make us care about all of the characters in the book, even those we find more difficult. Great portrayal of all of the kids and so funny! A real winner!
Jonathan Rosen
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ollie Oxley and the Ghost is a fun, Spooky mystery, filled with humor and heart! Oh, and did I mention a treasure-hunting ghost? Great setting and I loved piecing together the clues along with Ollie. I've moved many times, so I felt for Ollie and remember the same experiences. Ollie and Teddy for the win!
Beth
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read an early version of this and LOVED it - funny, warm and wonderful. Perfect for middle grade readers looking for fast paced mystery with lots of humor.
Anne
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-books
Ollie is tired of moving. Nothing has been the same since his father left them. They've been moving often enough that he doesn't have a chance to make any friends. Now they're moving back to his mother's hometown where his mom takes on the job of reviving the old theater. Just as he begins to settle in, he learns that they may have to move again if his mom's boss can't bring the mortgage current. As if that's not enough, he becomes the target of the school bully. Luckily he has the help of his n ...more
Malayna Evans
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a fun read. It kept me turning pages, invested in Ollie's life and adventures. Add a spicy little sister, a lovable ghost, and a few surprises and you end up with this fun filled books kids will love!
Kate Waggoner
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-read
@KidLitExchange #partner

Thank you to the @KidLitExchange network and the publisher for the advance copy of this novel. All opinions are my own.

Ollie Oxley and the Ghost: The Search for Lost Gold is a delightful and fun middle grades mystery ghost story. Ollie is 12-years-old and has just moved to another new town, which also happens to be his mom's old hometown. His mom just got a job at the Bing (the local theater), but her new job is quickly threatened when the owner of the building is given
Kristin Crouch
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Every time Ollie Oxley's mom gets a new production to direct, he and his sister are uprooted to another house and school. So, he isn't too eager to settle in and get comfortable in Granite City. Ollie knows they've been chasing paychecks ever since his dad asked for a divorce and disappeared from the family. Ollie's used to teachers being suspicious of newcomers, and he's mastered the social strata of middle school. Plus, this is a temporary arrangement, right? Before he knows it, Ollie has gone ...more
Erika
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
@kidlitexchange #partner Thank you to the #kidlitexchange network, @jollyfishpress and author @lisalschmid for the review copy of this book! All opinions are my own.

OLLIE OXLEY AND THE GHOST: THE SEARCH FOR LOST GOLD by Lisa Schmid

Ollie and his family are constantly moving. When they move back to his mom’s hometown of Granite City, California, Ollie doesn’t expect to stay long. He has a hard time making friends, so he’s surprised when he meets someone new right away... Teddy, who happens to be a
Ilona
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with an ARC of Ollie Oxley and the Ghost: The Search of Lost Gold by Lisa Schmid. I’ve voluntarily read and reviewed this copy. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Ollie Oxley and the Ghost is a story about Ollie, a twelve year old boy who has to move a lot because of his mom’s job. When Ollie and his family arrive in Granite City, Ollie finds a new friend, Teddy. Strangely it turns out that Teddy is a ghost. When Ollie fears he has to move again because
Rachel
Jan 21, 2019 rated it liked it
*I recieved a copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

This is a great book for young readers, and I hope it will be the first in a series. Ollie is tired of having to move to new towns with his mother and sister every time his mother gets a new job. His father has recently left, but there is not much information on what the circumstances surrounding his departure were - I hope there is more on this as the series continues. To make matters worse Oll
Aneta Cruz
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I cannot praise this debut novel by Lisa Schmid more. What a wonderful new voice in MG literature! I fell in love with the characters from the first page. I especially appreciated the authenticity Ms. Schmid created between the two siblings, Ollie and DeDe. I enjoyed their quick comebacks, snappy wit, and underlying love for one another. I also loved that the story was layered, portraying not only Ollie's and his ghostly friend, Teddy's courage in the search for gold, but the hilarious steps it ...more
Annamae
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to #NetGalley and the publisher for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Lisa Schmid's novel Ollie Oxley and the Ghost was a wonderful middle grade text. It follow's a young man named Ollie as he adjusts to yet another home. His family has undergone some changes forcing them to relocate a bit for Mom's job. When they arrive in what each of them hopes is their forever home. Ollie is the new student at school and faced with many of the challenges middle schooler often face, difficult
Dian Achdiani
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*I received a softcopy of 'Ollie Oxley and the Ghost: The Search for Lost Gold' from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

I love middle grade stories, and I love ghost stories, especially in positive vibe. So, this book is a gem for me ♥

A boy tired for always moving, with a mum and a sister, move to his mum's childhood city. As always: new school, bullying, and... a ghost.

I love the ending. And, I usually love standalone books than series, but in this case, I would l
Rebecca
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this! It was an easy read & would really engage middle grade boy readers in particular.

Ollie has a good heart and doesn’t want to keep moving. He wants to stay with his ghost friend Teddy but he wants the school bully & his nemesis Aubrey to leave him alone!

A great story, well-written & I’d be eager to read more about Ollie and his new life.

A full review will be posted on my blog on 3rd June but can be rescheduled if requested.
The Kawaii Slartibartfast
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this book from Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

This was a really cute book! I like Ollie and his relationships with his family. Teddy was an absolute hoot!

There's really good stuff here involving peer pressure and bullying.
Shelby Beatty
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was provided an e arc from net galley and exchange for a Honest review all opinions are my own. I really enjoyed this. I thought Ollie was such a loveable character. Even though it was middle grade it kept me hooked.
Niki
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun and adventure for young readers! I enjoyed the mystery and a double thumbs up happy ending!
Lisa Schmid is an author, a stay-at-home mom, and a pug wrangler. When she is not scaring up ghostly adventures, she is most likely scaring up fun with her husband and son. She lives in Folsom, California, home of the 1849 Gold Rush.