Start by marking “Owl at Home (I Can Read ~ Level 2)” as Want to Read:
Owl at Home (I Can Read ~ Level 2)

Owl at Home (I Can Read ~ Level 2)

Welcome to Owl's house!

Owl lives all by himself in a cozy little house. But whether he's inviting Winter in on a cold and snowy night, or welcoming a new friend he meets while on a stroll, Owl always has room for visitors!
Published October 18th 1982 by HarperCollins (first published 1975)

Start your review of Owl at Home (I Can Read ~ Level 2)
Carmen
Nov 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Kids; Parents
Even though this book was published in 1975, it is still very beloved and a classic for children nowadays. I always read children this book and children continue to talk about and love this book. Not only was Lobel a great author, but his illustrations are on point.

Some people adore Frog and Toad Are Friends and the other Frog and Toad books - I agree. They are great. Some people love Mouse Soup. But for me, the best Lobel book will always be Owl At Home.

1.) The first story, THE GUEST, is about
Benjamin
Apr 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Don't be fooled by the cheery, bright-eyed owl merrily beaming at you on the cover. That candle is the only thing keeping our poor Owl from plunging into the darkness of his paranoid solitude.

I don't know why I find this so amusing (and seriously, it's one of the funniest books to read to your kids), but each of the five stories in this collection shows our protagonist suffering some level of dementia. And I'm not trying to put some sinister spin on this book unnecessarily. All of these stories
sj
Nov 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I came to Owl at Home rather late in life. I had a friend when I was 15/16/17/18 that lived in a different state, she and I were constantly picking up owl things to send to each other.

I found this at a library sale one day and bought it for a quarter to include in the next package I sent her.

I read it when I got home, and - oh my. I never actually ended up putting it in the post.

Owl's Tear-water Tea was (and is) my favourite story in the book. It still appeals to me in a strangely wistful and
Karen
Oct 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
For the past few weeks, my almost-five-year-old little boy has been having nightmares about owls. The only way he will go to sleep is if our youngest cat, Molly Kitten, will curl up on his bed with him. She will stay awake until my son falls asleep. We thought these nightmares were imaginary because neither my husband nor I had seen an owl... until one night. My husband was just putting my son back into bed and telling him there are no owls when he heard, "Whooooo. Whoooo." He looked out the ...more
Skylar Burris
Oct 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
My second grade son struggles with reading, yet he loves Lobel's books. He's read about six of them. I appreciate that the language and phrasing are simple enough for him to read with confidence, but at the same time the books are not boring. They are cute, funny, and clever, and I can tolerate listening to him read them again and again. Most books that are written on a low enough level for him to read are horribly insipid and dull, but Lobel's books always make me smile. They are wonderful ...more
JayLando
Mar 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is honestly one of my favourite books.
It has been since I first learned to read.

It still makes me wish and think and laugh and cry.
Such a short book and a quick read but it makes me remember...

...to be silly.
...to be sweet.
...to be kind.

It is a template for who I am and how I will always be.
It is my "Goodbye Moon" ; especially at the end.
BHodges
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"Owl at Home" is strikingly beautiful children's literature. A perfect combination of melancholy and humor. I haven't seen another children's author deal with the theme of loneliness the way Lobel can. (See also, the Frog and Toad story "Alone.") My three year old girl loves Owl. (The first two stories are just slightly too scary for her, but she let me read all the way through them the first time.)
Guilherme Semionato
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Was there ever a chapter book (well, this is more a collection of very short stories anyway) in which a character was so well-defined by his lonesomeness? The Winter is Owl's ill-mannered guest. The Moon is Owl's friend, following him home in silent contemplation. There are some amusing experiments (the impossibility of being in two places at the same time), there's also child-like fear, some light paranoia, concerning bedtime (the two bumps at the end of the bed). But the tear-water tea is what ...more
Susan
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Oh silly little Owl! I particularly loved Tear-Water Tea, in which Owl makes himself cry into his tea kettle by thinking of sad things like "Mornings nobody saw because everybody was sleeping." <3 <3 <3
Racheal
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a silly little cinnamon roll
Rhea
More wonderful stories from Lobel.

My favorite of these was when Owl couldn't decide whether to stay upstairs or downstairs, and finally found a clever solution. I also remember Owl's tear-drop tea, especially because I cried along with Owl for those poor pencil stumps that are too short to use and those poor lost spoons no one ever finds and those beautiful sunrises no one will ever see. I was a very sentimental child.

But besides all that, it's always delightful to read about your own species ;)
Kris Larson
Mar 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the story of an owl who lives alone and has adventures that mostly happen in his own house. Basically it's the story of my life, right down to the part where he makes himself cry by imagining all kinds of sad things, then has some tea. Was Lobel lurking outside my window? Because that's pretty much my average evening.

Jokes aside, this book is DELIGHTFUL. I would recommend it to any kid or adult, especially those who understand that the best adventures happen at home while wearing
Cheryl
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-enjoy-again
Oh gosh. How have I never read this yet? I mean, welcoming winter and being scared of the two bumps near the bottom of your bed are bemusing enough, and I don't know if Lobel or Frank Asch did the moon as friend & follower better, and upstairs/ downstairs is classic... but, erm, "Tearwater Tea?!" Wtf? Deep, man.
Josiah
Feb 16, 2016 rated it liked it
A treasure, indeed, are Arnold Lobel's stories, a library of fine literature that could keep one occupied for much longer than the time required just to read them all. Like the Frog and Toad series, Owl at Home is a book of vignettes that mean more than their surface humor indicates, though they're also enjoyable purely as episodic jaunts into the everyday life of Owl, who resides by himself in his house in the woods and partakes in comedic adventures usually resulting from his own appealingly ...more
elyse
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
owl has a sweet little home, he invites winter in but sadly winter is not the best guest...strange bumps in his bed worry him but at least he has a comfy chair to sleep in...tear water tea will be familiar to anyone who has ever felt the need for a good cry and the calm that comes after it...learning that you cannot be everywhere all the time is a tough lesson for owl...finally, a good friend who travels with you always is a comfort...

i don't know if books have gotten sillier or if i just don't
Luisa Knight
I particularly loved the Tear-Water Tea story ... read it and weep ... with chuckles that is!

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) which enable you to clean up your book before reading it!

Visit my website!
John
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love Arnold Lobel's children's books. The writing is always good and the pictures are delightful. This one is good, but ranks below Grasshopper and the Frog and Toad books for me, possibly because owl appears be a lunatic.
Shiloah
Delightful! That tear-water tea!!!! Omg!!! So cute!
Esther Soberanis
Apr 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: week-6
Text-to-Teaching Connection

Owl at Home by Arnold Lobel is an adventurous book that has five chapters. Throughout the five chapters of the book, Owl has several adventures in his two leveled house. I would use this book in the classroom during Language Art in 3 different ways. First students will do a character analysis sheet in the first chapter. Next, Students will then read the rest of the book. then i will have them write and illustrated a story about the rest of the 4 chapters. Finally,
Michael Hitchcock
Racie
Jun 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best children's books that we own and not one that I read as a child. Dan's cousin sent it to us because her little boy loves it so much. "Owl at Home" is an episodic story that follows Owl through a series of adventures in his own home. He is the sort of children's book protagonist who is at once an adult and a child. He has a naive understanding of the world and works through problems in a way that lets children intuit the solution even as Owl fails to learn the lesson. He is scared ...more
ErinBeth
Nov 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I came across this book while shopping for presents for my nephew, and although i think he is still a little young for it (he's only 3), I couldn't resist getting it for him anyway. I think it'd probably be better for children about 5 or 6 though.
It's actually 5 little stories in one book, all of them about an eccentric owl who sees the world in a slightly different way than most people. For instance, instead of shutting out the cold and snow, he decides to be friendly and let winter come into
Katie Hilton
Aug 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Picked this up at a yard sale this summer with a bunch of other children's books. I never read it as a child but owls have always appealed to me and when I saw this guy on the cover with a book and PJs I was sold!

I was amazed at how simple and adorable the stories were but they were quite dark as well. Each story touched on struggles that many adults have--the grass is always greener, and being overwhelmed thinking sad thoughts to name a few.

But owl always seems to begin each story with a smile
Joan
Purchased as a gift. I was given this thirty years ago and have read it to children from three years old to sixteen. Beautiful stories with a wonderfully amusing (yet also in some ways very sad) Owl in his home. I particularly love 'Tear Water Tea' and of course the fabulous 'Strange Bumps'

I also have a copy of the same author's book 'Frog and Toad'. Again, a wonderful book.
Kelly
2018 review: everybody thought this was great, and though silly, hilariously so. Found it at a book sale for a dime!

2014 three star review: We didn't like this one as much as Lobel's Frog and Toad stories. This was irritatingly silly.
Nilsson
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: a-shelf
Captivating tales to be read again and again! They have valuable, life long lessons. I think about them on many occasions, and I'd recommend this book to anyone. I'd really like to read it again, but thanks to my brothers, the pages are scattered to the four winds.
Christine
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Poor, sweet Owl.
Bree
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
Notes:
mixed feelings on this one -- felt like a lot of adult issues packaged up in a kids' storybook; I liked it but felt a bit icky about reading it to my little ones
ABC
Feb 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: kids
Shelves: younger-kids
Melancholy and memorable, this is a keeper.
Black★Star
Apr 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
The story about the "lumps" in Owl's bed that moved when he moved? Scared the shit out of me.
Trinity Episcopal...: Owl at Home 1 3 Aug 29, 2013 02:30PM

• Little Bear
  • Little Bear's Visit
  • Henry and Mudge - The First Book (Henry and Mudge, #1)
  • Nate the Great
  • Greg's Microscope
  • Little Bear's Friend
  • Father Bear Comes Home
  • Amelia Bedelia  (Amelia Bedelia, #1)
  • Pompeii . . . Buried Alive!
  • Hill of Fire
  • The Fire Cat
  • Katy and the Big Snow
  • Jamberry
  • The Scarecrow
Arnold Stark Lobel was a popular American author of children's books. Among his most popular books are those of the Frog and Toad series, and Mouse Soup, which won the Garden State Children's Book Award from the New Jersey Library Association.
“Owl felt happy as he filled his cup. It tastes a little bit salty, he said, but tear-drop tea is always very good.” 4 likes