Start by marking “When Day Is Done” as Want to Read:
When Day Is Done

When Day Is Done

The sun is setting and it's almost night. Children from various families say goodbye to friends--including the sun, trees, and flowers--and move inside to complete their bedtime routines. With vivid imagery and child-friendly poetry, each verse ends with the simple refrain, We sleep when day is done. When Day Is Done is a soothing bedtime book, perfect for calming down aft ...more
Published February 12th 2019 by Beaming Books

To ask other readers questions about When Day Is Done, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Day Is Done

Robyn
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When Day Is Done will soon be a classic. This delightful picture book written by Natalee Creech will charm the socks off the little ones and their parents/caregivers. The author chose lullabyesque phrases like gently sway, sleepy-eyed, wrapped in love and many more that will settle into the hearts of all who read it. Children will ask for it each night before they are tucked in when their days are done. Brava to Ms. Creech. The pictures have a soft touch to them just as I'd expect for a book suc ...more
Tina Shepardson
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When Day Is Done is a beautiful way to close each day. Not only is the language lyrical, soothing and peaceful, but readers of every age are reminded of the beauty in the world around us that needs sleep too. Author Natalee Creech, takes us on a journey we need to pay attention to more often. Life today is so hectic and busy, we forget the quiet moments that help lull us into deep peace and tranquility. This beautifully illustrated picture book is for readers of every age. Children are learning ...more
Gayle Krause
Day is done.
Gone the sun.

And what does every child do?

Why they say goodnight to friends, family, pets, and even Mother Nature. And extra bonuses are the discussions that each illustration and verse can stimulate – the sun’s heat, the moon’s light, the garden’s needs, and oral hygiene. The family bond is a strong theme in this story. Creech’s gentle poetry verses combined with Dunn’s lovely pastel illustrations give the reader a sense of calm and peacefulness that makes this a perfect bedtime st
Vivian Kirkfield
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a stress-reliever this story is! As I turned each page, I could feel my breathing slow, my shoulders relax, and my spirits lift. With spot-on rhythm and rhyme, author Creech takes us on a soothing journey in the day of all living things...flowers, animals, and of course, people!

The fabulous illustrations enrich the story with a wonderful layer of diversity...families of all kinds, and kids on bikes, in wheelchairs, and walking. Destined to become a bedtime classic, the book is a wonderful r
Yevgenia Nayberg
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When Day Is Done is a beautifully written bedtime poem. Its musicality and repetitions give it a distinct lullaby quality. This could be the book you read to your child every night! There’s a lovely color transition in illustrations from page to page that reflect the change of time in the day. The gentle mention of Christianity is intensified through illustrations. When Day Is Done successfully follows the tradition of the classic rhymed picturebooks that will surely make you nostalgic!
Jenna Grodzicki
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written, this gentle story takes the reader through the nighttime routines of several different families. Young readers will relate to the children in the book and will be delighted by the animals and toys. The refrain, "We sleep when day is done," is repeated throughout. Robert Dunn's soft illustrations add to the calming feel of the story. When Day is Done is a perfect book to read at bedtime.
Jolene Gutiérrez
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The gentle, rhythmic ebb and flow of Creech's text will lull your little one to sleep, and Dunn's lovely illustrations will show the reader how various families enjoy their days and prepare for bed. This is a book that your child will want you to read repeatedly, and guess what? This book is so soothing that you won't mind reading it over and over again! You'll both enjoy curling up and resting as you remind your child to sleep when day is done.
Joyce
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents, families, small children
When Day is Done is a lullaby picture book designed to ease little ones to sleep. Natalee Creech has skillfully captured those everyday moments of transition that move us from waking hours to sleeping hours, and her lyrical rhyme and repeated refrain is sure to be a relaxing favorite with children. Not to be overlooked are the soft, soothing tones of Robert Dunn’s illustrations--the perfect complement to the gentle unfolding of Creech’s story.
Sophia Gholz
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A soothing bedtime read that will fast become every parent’s favorite. When Day is Done takes us through a busy day and how we shift from our daily activities to nightly rest. The sweet story, beautiful illustrations and rhythmic rhyme will help your child relax and unwind. Creech’s catchy refrain of “We sleep when day is done” creates a nice call and response for an interactive, yet peaceful, bedtime read.
Nancy Riley
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When Day is Done is a lovely story, perfect for quiet time to help little ones settle in for the night. The rhythm and rhyme are spot on and the soft, dreamy illustrations add to the urge to close your eyes and drift away. Ms. Creech and illustrator, Robert Dunn, have artfully included a diversity of families, even the mama bird settling down for the night in her nest with her babies. This book is a perfect gift to add to any family's library.
Julie Abery
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When Day is Done by Natalee Creech reads like a song. Its gentle, lyrical, rhyming text follows children playing and saying goodbye, to the end of the day and saying goodnight "When the day is done". Beautiful illustrations by Robert Dunn perfectly complement this calming bedtime story. Sure to be a favourite bedtime read!
Meera Sriram
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This bedtime book soothes and cradles with relatable scenes of night time routines, lilting lines, soft art, and best of all capturing the mood of retirement when a glorious day is done! The rhyming verse with recurring chant carries the book into a beautiful read aloud perfect to lull tired toddlers into blissful rest.
Laura Roettiger
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a perfect way to help soothe children to sleep after a busy day. The rhymes are crisp, creating a gentle rocking you while the personification creatively takes you to dreamland. The illustrations are just the right fit - our favorites are the puppy and the little girl sleeping with the purple star-filled curtains framing a full moon.
Teresa
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
In a soothing, lyrical style, author Natalee Creech sends readers off towards dreamland with this beautifully illustrated book. With gentle humor and warm watercolors that complement the text, this is a perfect pre-bedtime read that will help make getting ready for bed a soothing yet fun.
Christine Evans
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This beautifully illustrated rhyming picture book will gently lull your little ones to sleep. Or at the very least, it will get them to sit down to listen and stop jumping around their bedrooms (or does that just happen in my house?)
Pj
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully illustrated with soothing text that will lull your little one to sleep (heck, I almost fell asleep reading it). Great job.
Lauren Kerstein
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This sweet, lyrical bedtime book is the perfect read for bedtime snuggles. Your child will love the beautiful illustrations and rhythmic, soothing pace.
Adria Goetz
Dec 16, 2018
Shannon Stocker
Dec 18, 2018
Natalee Creech
Dec 18, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Antiquus