Start by marking “Detective Comics: 80 Years of Batman Deluxe Edition” as Want to Read:
Detective Comics: 80 Years of Batman Deluxe Edition

Detective Comics: 80 Years of Batman Deluxe Edition

Detective Comics featured DC's first masked adventurer and went on to give the company its name (from Detective Comics Inc.) and the only character to dominate American popular culture three separate times, each a generation apart: Batman.

Join DC to celebrate the 80th anniversary and 1,000th issue of one of the most important publications ever, Detective Comics. Over the p
Published March 12th 2019 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Detective Comics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Detective Comics

Sam Quixote
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Like they did last year before Action Comics hit its historic 1000 issue milestone, DC have produced a massive celebratory edition for Detective Comics (the company is named after this very title) ahead of its 1000th issue next week and also its 80th anniversary this year. The book showcases comics from the 1930s through the decades right up to the New 52 days in the 2010s.

Unlike Action which introduced Superman in its first issue, Detective didn’t introduce Batman (or “The Bat-Man” as he was i
Lashaan Balasingam (Bookidote)
You can find my review on my blog by clicking here.

My undying and unconditional love for Batman has only grown to inconceivable heights ever since my first encounter of the Dark Knight as a child. There was so much to love about this superhero on top of the fact that he has no superpowers to compete with Gods like Superman, The Flash or Wonder Woman. Not only is he the world’s greatest detectives à la Sherlock Holmes within a superhero universe, he simply shines with charisma in the darkest of n
Mohammed Arabey
May 05, 2019 rated it liked it
A good Book for Batman's 🦇 hardcore Fans
Paul
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This collection forced me to reflect on my relationship with The Dark Knight. Why has he retained his popularity for so many years? Why do I follow him more closely than Superman? I believe I am like most people in that I appreciate his humanity, his pain, and his dark and brooding demeanor. This won’t be a debate on Superman vs Batman because there have been just too many of those over the years, but I do find myself drawn to Batman, and this book helps to verify that.

Like Superman’s anniversar
Ben Truong
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Detective Comics: 80 Years of Batman is a compilation of some of the best representative Batman stories over the years to commemorate both the eightieth anniversary debut of one of the most iconic comic characters and to celebrate the (then) upcoming one-thousandth issue of Detective Comics, collected and edited by Paul Levitz. Over the years, there were many incarnations and depictions of the Dark Knight and this collection explores them all rather well.

This anthology collects Detective Comics
Zéro Janvier
Ce pavé de plus de 400 pages est l'album spécial proposé par Detective Comics pour célébrer les 80 ans de Batman. Le super-héros au costume de chauve-souris est clairement mon personnage préféré parmi tous les héros de comics, et en particulier son duo avec Robin, l'appel de cet album était donc trop fort pour que j'y résiste.

L'album alterne des textes de deux à trois pages par des auteurs ou des amoureux de Batman, et la reprise de comics au fil de l'histoire. On peut ainsi relire les aventures
Kevin
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Okay, I have a soft spot for this type of collection, flawed as they are in that they never manage to collect everything that I think should be collected.

This collection's main focus appears to be on first appearances, though it veers from that with Slam Bradley, and contains the first appearances of the Crimson Avenger, Two-Face, Riddler, Batwoman, Bat-Mite, Clayface, the second Batgirl (the first Bat-Girl, Betty Kane, debuted in BATMAN), Man-Bat (in his original anti-hero form, not the villain
Jamy
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved taking my time with this one. The last two years have brought milestone anniversary treatments of Action and Detective Comics. Hopefully, the same with the Amazon reaches her 80th year. So glad that we got to travel the Dark Knights history with this collection of classic comic tales. From his very beginning in Detective No. 27 to a modern story. Along the way we get treated to an array of intros by various members of the Bat-family (Robin, Batwoman, and Batgirl... even the pest Bat-mite) ...more
Michael
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I won this book in a GoodReads give-a-way. Lucky Day! This book is a nice hardbound edition that offers a wide variety of stories from Detective Comics over the last 80 years. While the majority of the stories are Batman stories, some are about other characters who have been featured in Detective, like the Manhunter from Mars, Slam Bradley and Pow-Wow Smith. You also see the introduction of Robin, Two-Face, and The Riddler. The reader may notice the absence of The Joker from this book, but if yo ...more
Michael Emond
Apr 11, 2019 rated it liked it
A fun collection of Batman stories from Detective Comics (the first comic to actually carry the Batman - issue 27). You have the first appearance of Batman, Robin, Batmite, the Riddler (a fav) Two Face, Batwoman,(remember her?), Man-Bat, you have some of the non-Batman characters Slam Bradley, Pow Wow Smith, The Martian Manhunter. You have some fun stories with some great art. A very nice collection if you want to sample comics from every decade. Not all stories are classics but they are almost ...more
GONZA
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
For somebody like me who loves Batman a lot, this is the summing up of all I have ever wanted to know about my favorite superhero. From the beginning till the actual stories, I have learned all the multiple facets of Mr. Bruce Wayne and I love him even more.

Per qualcuno come me che ama moltissimo Batman, questo libro rappresenta tutto quello che avrei sempre voluto sapere (e non avevo mai osato chiedere) sul mio supereroe preferito. Dalle prime storie fino alle ultime, possiamo vedere Mr. Bruce
Scott Waldyn
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Terrific tribute to Batman and Detective Comics as a whole. Love the combination of essays and carefully-selected comics that tie into the theme of who Batman is as a character and how he's grown and evolved over the years.

I also love that we get to see a few firsts from some of Batman's rogues gallery, notably Riddler, Two-Face, and Man-Bat (among others). I also love that the very first Martian Manhunter story is in here, too.

If I had but one complaint... I wish they would have included a Jo
Andrew Lind
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
It's good, but not great. Don't get me wrong, this is a nice book to have in your collection if you are a die-hard Batman fan, but it isn't absolutely necessary. There are better Batman books to have displayed on your bookshelf or sitting on your nightstand or coffee table than this one.
Danijel Jedriško
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
80 years of the Caped Crusader is a nice showing of the great history of the Bat. I really liked this issue and the critical text inside. Along with the special edition about Superman last year, this is something every comic book fan should have in his collection.
Rob S.
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this, mostly as a leisurely study of the evolution of comics in general and an enduring, amazing character in particular. Stories from the entire 600s are conspicuously missing, as well as from the Grant and Breyfolgle runs.
Gene
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A combination of essays and comics, with the art of older books being awful but much better later. Essays are either good or wonderful. Doubt you’ll read this without learning many things.
Amanda Allen
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love batman and the detective comics!
dreamer of art
I enjoyed this very much. DC even included some early non-Batman tales inside 👌. I liked the overall selection of tales, but also enjoyed the essays throughout.
Rebalioness
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Don't waste your money. Everything in this volume has been printed in other compilations. Borrow from the library or on Hoopla.

Jamie Sigal
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Perfect reading for any Batfan.
Louis Tibbs