Start by marking “The Nowhere Man (Orphan X, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Nowhere Man (Orphan X, #2)

The Nowhere Man

(Orphan X #2)

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  14,137 ratings  ·  1,499 reviews
He was once called Orphan X.

As a boy, Evan Smoak was taken from a children's home, raised and trained as part of a secret government initiative buried so deep that virtually no one knows it exists. But he broke with the programme, choosing instead to vanish off grid and use his formidable skill set to help those unable to protect themselves.

One day, though, Evan's/>One
Published January 17th 2017 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about The Nowhere Man, please sign up.
Lonks I attended a Q&A and book signing about a week ago and someone asked him about future books and he said he has the next four mapped out.
Mary I would read Orphan X first for sure. Not absolutely necessary, but it gives a lot of background for things referenced in this one.

·  14,137 ratings  ·  1,499 reviews

Start your review of The Nowhere Man (Orphan X, #2)
Chelsea Humphrey
Orphan X was one of my favorite thrillers of (technically last year) due to its fast pace and intriguing character Evan Smoak. I immediately connected with his man sass where some found him irritating and condescending. When I found out I'd won a copy of The Nowhere Man on Goodreads I couldn't wait to dive in and see where Evan would take us next, and while this book was good, for me it was slow and heavily padded in a few areas where I felt it could have been shaved down. The plot was a little ...more
Larry H
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's an indication of how many books I read last year that while Gregg Hurwitz's Orphan X , the first novel in his Evan Smoak series, made my list of the best books I read in 2016, I never got around to reading the second book, The Nowhere Man , until now, despite the fact that it came out in early 2017. There's even a third book out. I have to catch up!!

The Nowhere Man is a little bit uneven, so it's not quite as good as its predecessor. But when the book clicks, as it does in places and then/>
Phrynne
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4000-books
Gregg Hurwitz must be a very happy man to have comments from Dean Koontz, Tess Gerritsen, James Patterson and Robert Crais on the cover of his book saying things like "Brilliantly conceived" and "A dizzying ride" and "Memorable as hell." He deserves the praise. What a book!
I remember making less than positive comments about Orphan X due to Evan Smoake's obsession with rare Vodkas and growing herbs. Well in The Nowhere Man he has very little time to indulge in these habits as he spends most of the book as a prisoner. That does not
Julie
Nowhere Man by Gregg Hurwitz is a 2017 Minotaur Books publication.

This second book in the Orphan X series picks up pretty much where the first book left off. Evan Smoak is doing what he does best, helping people out of hopeless situations. In this case, a young girl is victimized by an online sex trade operation. But, when she tries to get out of the situation, her family is threatened. This is where Evan steps in. Once order is restored to his client he learns there are more victims of this sc
Barbara

This is the second book in the 'Orphan X' series. It's best to read the books in order.

*****

Evan Smoak was once part of the government's 'Orphan Program', a secret operation that taught boys and girls to be highly skilled assassins. Evan, known as Orphan X, began his training at the age of twelve and started doing jobs at nineteen - backed by every kind of cutting edge technology and unlimited access to cash.

After ten years or so, Evan quit the Orphan Program and settled in Los An
Paromjit
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an intense, action filled thriller, the sequel to Orphan X, that picks up from where it left off. It will probably help if you read the first book to get a handle on this one. Evan Smoak, aka Orphan X and the Nowhere Man, was taken from an orphanage as a child by a secret and covert shadowy government programme. They trained him to be a highly skilled and efficient assassin. Evan eventually managed to escape the programme, but is having to live life under the radar. He has decided to use ...more
PattyMacDotComma
“By design, Evan is hard to gauge. Thirty-something. Fit but not muscly. Somewhere around six feet. An average guy, not too handsome. Addison underestimates him. This happens a lot, by design. The kid’s lips twitch to the side.”

Evan Smoak is back in action. He keeps a low profile, wearing a uniform of black jeans and grey tee-shirts, nothing that will call attention to himself. He needs to be able to slip through crowds unnoticed, and does.

I want his phone! He has a RoamZo
Andrew Smith
I really enjoyed Orphan X, which I found to be a thrilling near future adventure featuring an interesting lead character with a degree of complexity and a smidgen of soul. So I was really looking forward to this second book. For those who haven't yet come across Evan Smoak, the potted history is that he was adopted into an off the books government programme and trained to be an expert assassin. For reasons I won't go into, he’s now out of the programme – but is offering his services to a limited ...more
Theresa Alan
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The fun thing about reading novels like this are twofold: One, seeing the hero succeed in helping someone in need because of his special talents, and two, seeing the hero in a dire situation where you genuinely think to yourself—how the heck could he possibly get out of this predicament?

For the latter, trained assassin Evan Smoak, the Nowhere Man, formerly Orphan X, him being in a seemingly-impossible-to-escape situation lasts for hundreds of pages. Just when you think he might get away . . . b
Melissa (Mel’s Bookshelf)
OH MAN I LOVE THIS SERIES!! Only 2 into it but it is fast becoming one of my favourites! Absolutely fantastic! Do yourself a favour and read them!

Evan is a former elusive member of the government run “Orphan” program and an elite killer. He leaves the program following the death of his mentor and becomes the Nowhere Man, helping people who need it most. But this time he becomes the one who needs the help when he finds himself prisoner of a psychopath.

WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW I
Wendy
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4000-books, feb-17
Evan Smoak is back and what a ride!
He returns in the sequel to the national bestseller Orphan X.
Evan Smoak is the Nowhere Man! When he is reached by the very desperate, he can and will do anything to save them.
In the course of rescuing someone, Evan is captured by a sociopath, drugged, and taken to a remote location which is heavily guarded. He attempts to outwit and overpower his captor at every opportunity which leads to many suspenseful and pulse racing scenes. A game of cat and
Magdalena
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the first book in Evan Smoak series so I was really looking forward to reading this one. And it is good, it's really good but The Nowhere Man doesn't seem as tight or cleverly crafted as Orphan X. The plot moves at a slower pace and is a bit less believable than in the first book. Overall though it's an intriguing and twisty read and I'll definitely be continuing with the series.
Sam Quixote
Former shadow wars assassin turned pro bono one-man A-Team for those in need, Evan Smoak - the titular Nowhere Man who’s also called Orphan X; jaysis make up your mind, man! - is kidnapped by a vampiric rich dude who only knows Evan has cash that he wants. And then he finds out who Evan REALLY is and things kick up a notch. Gawrsh, however will Evan get out of this scrape?!

Gregg Hurwitz’s second Orphan X “thriller” is about as good as his first which is to say that it’s just an ok read - as you
Cindy Burnett
The Nowhere Man was a slow read. I loved Orphan X and was very excited for the sequel. Gregg Hurwitz’s clever and resourceful protagonist Evan Smoak is a highly entertaining character who is prepared for anything and everything he encounters. Hurwitz’s meticulously crafts the descriptions of Smoak’s fortress-like apartment including his safe room which adds to Smoak’s mystique. In Orphan X, Hurwitz created a plot that utilized his main character’s skills and preparation in a highly satisfying ma ...more
Carolyn
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Whoa, talk about high octane thrills! Evan Smoak is Jack Reacher on speed! Just when you think he cannot possibly get himself out of the impossible situation he has got himself into, he does and then ends up in an even more impossible situation.

Evan Smoak, previously known as Orphan X in a secret government assassins training program, has left the program but still uses is skills as the Nowhere Man to rescue people in dire need of his services. Evan is busy doing just that when he is
Bam cooks the books ;-)
Evan Smoak was Orphan X--a boy trained in a top-secret government program, groomed to become a lethal weapon, an assassin. After being asked to kill another operative, Evan decides to leave that life behind and disappear. He becomes the Nowhere Man, the helper of people in trouble.

In book 2, Evan is called upon to help a high school girl being entrapped in a sex trafficking scheme against her will. After taking care of her problem, he decides to follow through further and find the local house w
Kat
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-4
This was an exciting continuation to the Orphan X series. I enjoyed seeing Evan Smoak develop the tiniest bit more as he continues to operate in his "mission first and only" mindset that has been drilled into him. Evan is going about rescuing those in trouble as usual whenhe is kidnapped by some super-bad guys and held in a remote location. Naturally, he must figure out how to escape, which takes up most of the book.

(view spoiler) ...more
Monica
Although this book didn’t hold my attention as well as the first one, Orphan X, it was still a great action story. I had a hard time seeing the villain... that almost felt like a detour to the real story and I kept looking for that part to end. When it finally did, at around 80%, the story intensified and had a brilliant ending. Solid overall, just not my favorite.

Thanks to NetGalley and publishers for the digital version in exchange for my honest review.
Olivia "So many books--so little time.""
Anyone who's looking for a thriller filled with action and intrigue won't be disappointed. Evan Smoak, the Nowhere Man, is abducted. He wakes up not knowing where he is or who his captors are. This book is a real page-turner. I received this book as an ARC having won it in a Goodreads giveaway.
Marialyce
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Forget Rambo, forget Ethan Hunt, forget even Superman for have we have a new hero for you all rolled up in a character, named Evan Smoek in the book Nowhere Man. This is Gregg Hurwitz's second book featuring Evan and a bevy of bad, really bad people. Having met Evan already in the book Orphan X, and knowing if I was ever in big deep dark trouble, Evan would be the man I would call and have frighting for me.

Those of us who know of Evan's past as a child secreted into a super elite killer force o
Kathleen
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
My honeymoon with Orphan X is over! This is Hurwitz’s 2nd offering in the series and has little of the charm of the first. In this offering, Evan Smoak is captured, drugged and taken to a remote location. The jailers are a diabolical bunch, but they don’t want to kill Evan—at least not until after he gives them the codes for his off-shore millions. So—much of the plot involves Evan being tortured—escaping—getting recaptured. Again and again. Hurwitz intersperses the action with flashbacks to his ...more
Terence M
This audiobook is also known as:
The Nowhere Man (Orphan X #2)

Audiobook - 12:12 Hours - Narrator: Scott Brick
5.0 Stars out of 5.0

I finished listening to "Evan Smoak #2, The Nowhere Man" last night and immediately heard the first chapter of "Evan Smoak #3, Hellbent". This gives readers an idea of how much I enjoyed "The Nowhere Man".
I will have more to say after I have had a chance to mentally digest and then review the book.
Dana Moison
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent read. This is the second book in the series, so I already felt more connected to the characters and knew their background. It was a well-paced action thriller that also projected the main character's inner world, and I enjoyed this combination because I felt the story was told in different levels. I really like Evan and am rooting for his happiness (although it seems so tragically impossible). The ending left me SO CURIOUS, so now I have to start reading the third book in t ...more
Sean Peters
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read and done preview before..

On Book 3 Hellbent ready for book 4 which I also have.
Josh
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Evan Smoak books are fast becoming one of my favorite thriller series. Loaded with action and told at a frenetic yet well plotted pace, they are truly hard to put down. I consumed both Orphan X (book 1) and The Nowhere Man in quick succession in only a few sittings. Not only are they enjoyable to read, author Gregg Hurwitz envelopes in the reader in Evan’s secret and dangerous world making you feel part of the action.

The Nowhere Man sees Evan kidnapped and held at a mysterious locatio
Chad
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, netgalley
Evan Smoak is back. I liked how the book zigs when you think it's going to zag. Dex and Rene were unique, creepy characters. Hurwitz comes up with some interesting situations to put the Nowhere Man in that I hadn't seen before. I would have been fine without the Orphan program tie ins this time around though. I have to say there were some elements towards the end I didn't care for. (view spoiler) ...more
Eric
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Nowhere Man by Gregg Hurwitz, featuring Evan Smoak as Orphan X, is the second novel in the series.

Readers, this second novel is as good as the introductory novel Orphan X.

The series details the Orphan program which consists of a secretive, governmental program where carefully selected orphans have been trained and groomed as operatives for undisclosed missions.

In the first novel, Evan Smoak decided to walk away from an organization that does not allow anyone to quit. Shamed by his prior b
Dianne
He became the protector of the innocent, the weak, those unable to get the results he can. Evan Smoak is THE NOWHERE MAN, a renegade from the program that groomed him to be a covert weapon, but no one walks away from the Orphan program, no one.

Gregg Hurwitz digs deep into the man Evan Smoak has become and we are witness to what makes this man tick, as well as what makes him as good as he is, no matter how dark things look. But sometimes, it takes a lot of luck to survive and Evan’s luck has run out, for now…

Ambushed, dru
DemetraP
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was a huge fan of the first Evan Smoak book.

Unfortunately, book 2 had a completely different feel than book 1. In book 1, you had a lot of humorous moments with Evan interacting with people in his building, and the single mother's son, and the single mother herself. Those funny moments were my favorite parts of the book.

In book 2, nothing funny happened. No humor at all. I didn't laugh out loud once and that is a huge difference from book 1.

In book 2, Nowhere Man, Evan
Steven Walle
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Nowhere Man was a fast paced awesomly written sequel to Orphen X in which the nowhere man continues his help to people in mortal danger and near the end of the book decides to get out of the dangerous life stile. He decides to go for a normal life, but there is a call to him on his private phone that asks him for an other job. It is a cliff hanger if he gets out or not.
Enjoy and Be Blessed.
Diamond
Around the Year i...: The Nowhere Man, by Gregg Hurwitz 1 9 Jan 30, 2019 08:09AM
Around the Year i...: The Nowhere Man, by Gregg Hurwitz 1 23 Feb 20, 2017 04:56AM
Play Book Tag: The Nowhere Man by Gregg Hurwitz - 3 stars 1 16 Feb 05, 2017 09:31AM

• Mission Critical (Gray Man, #8)
  • Past Tense (Jack Reacher, #23)
  • On Target (Gray Man, #2)
  • The Gray Man (Gray Man, #1)
  • Redemption (Amos Decker, #5)
  • Red Metal
  • Agent in Place (Gray Man, #7)
  • Ballistic (Gray Man, #3)
  • The Russian (Rob Tacoma #1)
  • Gunmetal Gray (Gray Man, #6)
  • The Terminal List (James Reece, #1)
  • Backlash (Scott Harvath, #19)
  • A Dangerous Man (Elvis Cole, #18; Joe Pike, #7)
  • The Hunter (Victor the Assassin, #1)
  • Kill For Me (Victor the Assassin, #8)
  • Long Road to Mercy (Atlee Pine, #1)
  • True Believer (James Reece, #2)
  • Tear It Down (Peter Ash, #4)
AKA Gregg Andrew Hurwitz

Gregg Hurwitz is the critically acclaimed, New York Times and internationally bestselling author of 20 novels, including OUT OF THE DARK (2019). His novels have been shortlisted for numerous literary awards, graced top ten lists, and have been published in 30 languages.

He is also a New York Times Bestselling comic book writer, having penned stories for Marvel

Orphan X (5 books)
  • Orphan X (Orphan X, #1)
  • Hellbent (Orphan X, #3)
  • Out of the Dark (Orphan X, #4)
  • Into the Fire (Orphan X, #5)
“Next time, he thinks. The two best words in the English language.” 2 likes
“For as long as I can remember, I’ve been out in the cold, nose up to the glass, looking in. I may not get to come inside, Jack. But I’m sure as hell not gonna let the wolves in at everyone else. No. That’s one thing I’m good for.” 1 likes