Jump to ratings and reviews

Mama, Mama, Only Mama: A Single Mom on Parenting, Divorce, Dating, and Cooking, with Heavy Doses of Humor and Advice

Being a single mother means relaxing your cleanliness standards. A lot. Being a single mother means missing your kids like crazy when your ex has them, only to want to give them back ten minutes after they come home. Being a single mother means accepting sleep deprivation as a natural state. Being a single mother means hauling a toddler, a baby, and a diaper bag while wearing high heels and a cute skirt, because you never know when you’ll meet someone. Being a single mother means finding out you are stronger than you ever knew was possible.
Since birth, Lara Lillibridge’s children wanted, “Mama, Mama, only Mama!” whether they were tired or just woke up from a nap—whether they were starving or had just finished a bowl of goldfish crackers. Over ten years later, not much has changed. Between hilarious episodes and candid stories, Lillibridge offers the bits of advice and enlightenment she’s gained along the way and never fails to commiserate on the many challenges that come with raising children in a non-nuclear family. This creative, touching memoir will resonate with single moms everywhere, whether solo parenting is new territory or well-trodden ground for them.
Written in the style of a diary with blogs, articles and recipes tucked between the pages, Mama, Mama, Only Mama follows Lillibridge and her two children, Big Pants and Tiny Pants, out of divorce, through six years of single parenting, and into the family blender with a quasi-stepfather called SigO. Complete with highly useful recipes such as congealed s’more stew, recycled snack candy bars, instant oatmeal cookies and a fine chicken casserole that didn’t pass Tiny Pants’s “lick test,” Lillibridge grows into her role as mother, finds true love, and comes to terms with her ex-husband.

208 pages, Hardcover

First published March 5, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Lara Lillibridge

4 books74 followers
Lara Lillibridge sings off-beat and dances off-key. She writes a lot, and sometimes even likes how it turns out.

She is the author of two memoirs, Girlish: Growing Up in a Lesbian Home, Foreword INDIES Book of the Year Awards Finalist (Skyhorse Publishing, 2018) and Mama, Mama, Only Mama (Skyhorse Publishing, 2019).

Lara Lillibridge is a graduate of West Virginia Wesleyan College’s MFA program in Creative Nonfiction. In 2016 she won Slippery Elm Literary Journal’s Prose Contest, and The American Literary Review's Contest in Nonfiction. She also was a finalist in both Black Warrior Review’s Nonfiction Contest and DisQuiet’s Literary Prize in Creative Nonfiction. She has had essays published in Pure Slush Vol. 11, Vandalia, and Polychrome Ink; on the web at Hippocampus, Crab Fat Magazine, Luna Luna, Huffington Post, The Feminist Wire, Airplane Reading, Thirteen Ways to Tell a Story, Weirderary, and Brain, Child magazine's Brain, Mother blog. Follow her on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 (1%)
1 star
1 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 33 reviews
Profile Image for Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader.
2,053 reviews30k followers
May 10, 2019
Mama, Mama, Only Mama is Lara Lillibridge’s tribute to the single mom. She knows the lifestyle because she is one. I was immediately struck by her humor and matter-of-fact, honest way of sharing. The book is also full of advice and support.

Lara bares it all talking about grief and loss and how to handle introducing new relationships to your children, among many other smart and helpful topics. The book reads like a diary and is full of insight, information, recipes, and laughs. Lara has two children, referred to as Big Pants and Tiny Pants. She is a single parent for six years, then in a relationship with “SigO.”

Let me take a second to rewind to the recipes. They are so funny! No spoilers!

My favorite things about the book were the humor and watching Lara move share her life and growth with honesty and authenticity. Big Pants and Tiny Pants are adorable, and Lara talks about them with so much affection and heart.

Overall, this is a warmhearted, insightful, and entertaining memoir for women of any age.

I received a complimentary copy. All opinions are my own.

My reviews can also be found on my blog: www.jennifertarheelreader.com
Profile Image for Elyse Walters.
3,847 reviews34.9k followers
May 8, 2019
“MAMA, MAMA, *only* MAMA....is - at first-HILARIOUS.
It’s also a memoir filled with wisdom, and insights....
“An Irrelevant Guide for the Newly Single Parent—From
Divorce and Dating to Cooking and Crafting, All while Raising the kids and Maintaining Your Own Sanity ( Sort of)”!!!!!

We get the inside truth from
twice divorced- super-single mom- Lara Lillibridge!
The little people in Lara’s life- Big pants and Tiny Pants ( Lara’s two son’s), are charming, adorable, bright, and the love of Lara’s life...
at the same time being a single mom is no picnic...

Hats off to Lara for writing this book!!! It’s totally enjoyable, eye-opening....
and Lara’s bravery & vulnerability, is a benefit to each of us.

Even though any halfway compassionate human being can imagine the challenges - (chaos and exhaustion - physically and emotionally), for a newly single mom....
with working, juggling the kids with Daddy Pants, paying the bills, cooking, shopping, grooming, homework, the munchkins enrichment needs, maintaining some assemblance of being an interesting intellectual and sexual human being....
I don’t think most of us spends an hour a day thinking about the many things in this book.... that Lara gets us thinking about.
Some of what I learned about the ‘depths-of-single-parenting and poking-around-dating-websites’, were down right scary and informative. Things I’ve never experienced- but geee, who knew the single mom should enroll in ‘Lara’s Online People Shopping School’, ( she knows a few things seriously worth knowing and passing on to our own children)... that every parent should sign up for before they touch a dating website!!!
But....
the overall spirit of this book are stems from love and happiness ( for our children and ourselves).

Lara reminds us to appreciate the small things in life - to find laughter in the absurd.

I wasn’t the only person in this house who enjoyed this book...
Paul and I had some great laughs reading parts together.

Sharing a little laughter from both Paul and I...
Here’s an excerpt we giggled over:
One of the chapters is called:
“Cleaning Tips for Slackers” ( Best done in the order provided)
“1. Lock The children in the closet until you are finished cleaning, or their eighteenth birthday, whichever comes last. Tell them it’s a fort. Kids love forts. (My lawyer insists that I need to remind my readers that I am being funny and I don’t actually advocate locking your kids in the closet. I told my lawyer that if the reader doesn’t understand my sense of humor we have a lot more problems than just this chapter)”.
“2. Don’t bother picking up the toys on the floor, just vacuum around them. When company appears, act surprised at the mess your children made while you were taking a shower. ( This works best only if you remembered to let the children out of the closet before the guests arrive.)”
“3. Wet down your hair to make shower excuse plausible”.
“4. If it smells clean it is clean. I worked in a gift shop with a twenty-something man who chanted this over and over as he sprayed Windex in the air instead of wiping down the shelves with it. Also, this gives you the excuse that the overpowering smell of cleaning detergent gave you an allergy attack, so therefore you can only entertain in the backyard”.
“5. Take a laundry basket no more than half-filled with laundry and perform a one-arm sweep to clear everything off your table into the basket. Hide the basket in the basement”.
“6. Hide dirty dishes in the oven. (In truth, I have not resorted to this, but enough people have recommended it that I must include it).
“7. Scatter important looking books around to provide justifiable reason for your mass.(Try to keep impressive titles like ‘Business Law’ or ‘Calculus’
just for this purpose.)”
“8. Make expensive arm movements and talk nonstop when guests arrive to distract them”.
“9. Only invite date-type people over after dark and light candles”.
“10. Become friends with someone whose child is a clean-freak. They will organize your children’s toys for you when you send them all upstairs to play. ( Thanks Asterisk)”.
There is another half of a page of worthy notes about the positives and negatives about dogs🐕 ....
....concluding with
“Deciding to purchase a dog should not be based solely on your cleaning contributions”.

This wonder-fun-informative book is chock-filled with great chapters.
As Lara warns us at the beginning of her book ...
Her words:
“Excruciatingly Long Table of Contents (I’m not kidding)”....

From budgets, to birthdays, to no Jell-O in the living room, to spiders, to blogs, and recipes, to blending families, great advice strategies, sleepovers, traveling Big pants and Tiny Pants ...( and their tears and laughter), T.V. and Turkey....with cute little photos throughout....
etc. etc. etc. ETC.....
This is a happy treasure of a delightful book!

One of a kind!!!
Cheers to the most famous child’s cracker ....
The little fishy!!!

Lara.... you’re the greatest!!!
Love you and your book!!!
Thanks for the gift and pleasure!!!

Makes a great gift to ALL MOM’S!!!!!

Profile Image for Berit Talks Books.
1,999 reviews15.7k followers
April 26, 2019
This was a humorous and real look at motherhood and single motherhood in particular. I don’t read many memoirs, but how could I resist a memoir about single motherhood when I am a single mom myself. Lara Lillibridge has crafted a compelling portrayal about the good bad and ugly of motherhood and dating. This book is smart, clever, entertaining, and of course humorous. A glimpse into motherhood that will appeal to ALL moms.

This story really brought back lots of memories of my kids when they were younger. It is amazing how quickly time flies, my baby is now 16 and my older two are in their 20s. Being a parent is the hardest yet most rewarding job you will ever do. Being a single parent has its positives and its negatives. I have been a single-parent for over six years and my kids only parent for the past three years. Sometimes it can be a little overwhelming because everything falls to me, I feel completely responsible for all parenting decisions. Even though my kids are older they are all still in school and financially and emotionally dependent on me. On a positive note I get to parent exactly how I want to and nobody has anything to say about it, I have to admit I do like this!

Lara Lillibridge also shared some pretty hilarious recipes in this book. She is a “cook“ after my own heart, most of it just required warming. I also thought she gave some pretty good dating advice, she definitely learned from her mistakes. The kids of course were adorable and you could feel the love between mother and children. Simply put this was a lighthearted amusing story that will make you realize you’re not alone! Recommend to moms of all ages!
Profile Image for Linda Zagon.
1,299 reviews93 followers
April 11, 2019
Lara Lillibridge has combined a diary, journals, recipes and other intriguing information in her Memoir  "Mama, Mama and Only Mama" The Genres for this book are Memoir, and Humor. The author gives witty advice on" divorce, dating, parenting, crafting, and simple recipes." (Stated above loosely from the cover) Some of the recipes involve opening a bag from the freezer, or a can.  Some seem like science experiments, but no stress, so all is fine.

Parenting is difficult, and the author has a sense of humor when it comes to her children.Things just seem to work out, no rhyme or reason. Lara Lillibridge has a way of describing what can be as sticky situations, and manages to go with the flow.

I found myself chuckling at many of the situations in Lara's life. Dating is also very interesting. Some of it is a learning experience. Lara gave one of her first boyfriends a key to her home where she lived with her children. She realized that it might not be a safe idea and learned from that.

Lara has nick names for her children, Big Pants, and Little Pants. (She also has nick names for her ex-husband, and boyfriend) Seriously, Lara does give some advice based on her experiences that can make other women feel more comfortable. This was a delightful and fun read, and I would highly recommend it.
Profile Image for abdulia ortiz-perez.
634 reviews33 followers
March 1, 2019
I received this book for honest Review.
Thank you @suzyapprovedbookreviews @suzyapprovedbooktours @skyhorsepub
for the free copy.

I'm so happy that I received this arc copy cuz I love it.
Not alot of people in this world now how it is to be a single mom. The struggle we do has mom or a dad being single Dad.
We have our good days and we have our bad days.
This is inside of a single parent and I was one of them.
This book is perfect for any single parents out there.
I now that sometimes we feel like giving up and ask ourselves why me but we are stronger then you think. When you look back and think this moments are some just wonderful and wouldn't change the outcomes.

Funny story, one day while I was cleaning my daughter at the time was just 2yrs old she clam out the playpen and put the kitten in the microwave. Don't worry she didn't turn it on. She just loves puting things in it.
This is one moment that I think about it now and it funny to me and my daughter.
I wouldn't change anything.

When I receive this arc copy I just thought about me, once upon a time I was a single mom with 5 little kids. It was hard and I have struggled three the years. It's not a easy job to do. It probably the hardest ever. Doing everything by yourself, doing everything for your kids by yourself. Not taking time for yourself cuz everything is on you. Even now that am married it not not easy.
5 star read ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
This is most read and highly recommend it!

Mama, Mama, Only Mama by Lara Lillibridge @laralillibridge
#mamamamaonlymama
Release 5/7/19
Profile Image for Jennifer S. Brown.
Author 1 book397 followers
March 4, 2019
While "Mama, Mama, Only Mama" is a departure in style and tone from her previous memoir, Girlish: Growing Up in a Lesbian Home, this is a lovely memoir of Lillibridge's life as a single mom. She captures the pathos of raising children on one's own in the ups and the downs of motherhood. This book manages to be both humorous and heartfelt, treading that line while dealing with heavy topics such as children and grief, introducing new partners to children, and managing the nights while the children are with their other parent. Yet there is a lighthearted side as well in dealing with the tooth fairy, locking oneself out of the house, and baking. The recipes in here provide comic relief, a nice tension breaker for the more serious moments. You don't need to be a single mom yourself to relate to this story; these stories of motherhood are universal to all parents.
3 reviews
May 7, 2019
Lara Lillibridge's Mama, Mama, Only Mama awoke a newfound joy in motherhood for me. (As I type this, my 15-month-old is teething, feverish, and preferring to throw food rather than eat it, mind you.) Lara's wittiness and honesty about the ups and downs of parenting, and the strength she found in going at it alone are admirable. And her writing is down-right lovable. Her new memoir is an absolute must-read for moms, especially single moms, who want to feel seen, heard, and understood. One of my favorite quotes:

"For the first time, I felt safe when I was alone. My neighborhood held me and the boys in the palm of its hand. And five years later, when Tiny Pants rode a two-wheeler without training wheels for the first time, yelling, “I’m only five years old!” at the top of his lungs, the nameless neighbors who had watched us walk to the park at the end of the street week after week stood up on their porches and cheered for Tiny. When I decided to trust the universe to protect me, I stopped being afraid."
Profile Image for Christina (.
186 reviews30 followers
April 29, 2019
Single parenthood is like using a shovel in a blizzard. Lara Lillibridge’s Mama Mama Only Mama embraces my statement in a comical, real, and entertaining manner. I’m a single mother of three children and they are with me full-time minus when they are at school and I’m at work. This book has completely embodied the reality that I feel has become a more forgiving topic and more commonly discussed. I feel like there has been a small scope into the world of a single working mom because our society has doted upon the nuclear family construct and in the past decade there has been a slew of outlets that have come to embrace it.

I found myself muttering yes, laughing, a few tears to be among my various emotions while reading this book. It’s rare to find a book that speaks so vividly and connects to the reader on a topic where they always felt alone with. Single parenthood is a lonely existence that I feel has contributed to mental and physical health issues. It is comforting to connect with a book that displays a full range of highs and lows.

Lara’s writing connects on point and this memoir will have you reflecting your current life in a new light. I appreciated the authenticity in her writing, the wide range of emotions it made me feel, and how it can shed light on a part of my life that I have felt greatly alone with. I have learned so much from being a single parent and feel I wouldn’t be where I am at today without it. Thank you Suzy Approved Book Reviews and Skyhorse Publishing, Inc. for a review copy to enjoy.
Profile Image for S.M. Roffey.
51 reviews2 followers
May 1, 2019
This was a departure from Lara Lillibridge’s heartfelt and drama-filled Girlish memoir, and it’s about being a divorced single mom, so I wasn’t sure how well I would relate to it after loving Girlish so much.

Except it’s not just about single parenthood. It’s funny, real, and it applies most to single moms and dating but has so much for any mom to relate to. Maybe it’s because I was raised by a divorced mom that I identified so much with the contents of Mama, Mama, Only Mama—but I don’t think so. I think it has a universal appeal.

From the very beginning, the writing pulls you in—comparing the love for an old, plastic step stool and the love for an old, painted one to the differences in personality that can lead to divorce. But my favorite pieces are the small idiosyncrasies that are so reminiscent of Girlish—for instance, the way the author chose her Nanny when she had to go to work—it was the peg-eared, ugly rescue cat that sealed the deal. Or the (sort of) recipes, which offer tongue in cheek suggestions for saving money or keeping oil from splattering the wall.

And just when you’re chuckling at the humor inherent in each chapter, she throws in a heartfelt thought that gets to the heart of any mother. One chapter begins talking about a dancing gopher she brought into her marriage but lost in divorce—and it’s fairly amusing and wink wink—until you hit the last paragraph, and she muses that maybe it’s a good thing the gopher is still there in her old home, in the old family room, perhaps the only mark she left on their home, keeping an eye on her boys while she can’t be with them. (*heart flop*)

A final note: I would be remiss if I didn’t mention the design of the memoir. I like visuals—not photographs, necessarily, but something to the page that draws the eye, and lots of breaks between paragraphs, and this book fulfilled that for me. Between the recipe insets and the Only-Mama blog post graphics, it broke up the writing into smaller chunks that made it easy to pick up and put down as needed—and as a busy mom myself, I appreciated that.

This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Julie Clark.
Author 5 books2,695 followers
April 28, 2019
What can I say about a memoir that so perfectly captures the essence of single parenthood? Mama Mama Only Mama will have you laughing and crying and nodding along. Lillibridge’s beautiful prose is both heartwarming and heart wrenching, and I thoroughly devoured this smart and tender memoir about single motherhood, love, and all the ways our kids both break us and put us back together again. 5/5 stars. Don’t miss this one!
Profile Image for Lisa Ellison.
22 reviews2 followers
September 14, 2020
Written as a love song to Lara’s children and her younger, more awkward self, Mama, Mama, Only Mama is a fun and quirky memoir told through diary entries, single-mama-survival recipes, and blog posts. Lillibridge’s sophomore release explores her post-marriage search for identity in the frequently messy and complicated world of single parenthood. It celebrates the many roles women play, including motherhood, and offers an honest account of the challenges single parents face while raising children, dating, and navigating careers and exes. She is unapologetic about her desire for self-discovery and reclaiming all of who she is—mother, friend, lover, and career woman. The book is filled with brilliant nuggets about how women are pigeonholed by society and our need to break free from the identities imposed upon us.

While the tone differs from Girlish, the quirky and humorous style found in her debut memoir, Girlish, shines through. She offers hilarious takes on the dark side of parenting (“I had one rule, don’t kill the children.”) and the mishaps of single life. (Check out her advice for single parents thinking about going wild). While the book is largely about her experience as a single parent, the book has broad appeal. Despite not having children, many sections caused me to laugh out loud or cry along with her. I loved her freewheeling recipe instructions and encouragement to either wing it or experiment with what’s on hand along with her frequent reminders that cheese is love. Who can argue with that?

Lillibridge brought her A-game when writing this endearing memoir. She deftly weaves fun and witty sections about tooth fairy failures and the sewing of inappropriate stuffed animals with heartfelt scenes about children’s grief and the conundrum all parents face: how to be vulnerable enough to let your children change you while also having the courage to let them grow up.

Whether you’re a fan of Girlish, a parent, or someone looking for a fun and quirky read, you’ll love Mama, Mama, Only Mama. I highly recommend this book.
Profile Image for Stephani Beltran.
118 reviews33 followers
May 8, 2019

"My ambition to become an amorphous glob of green Jell-O with no backbone, opinions, or suggestions made me one heck of a boring wife."

Reasons to pick this book up:

-If you are/were a single parent and/or your kids and/or ex/spouse drive you crazy....pick this book up
-If the chapter called, “Single Parenting Turns you into a Teenager" makes you curious...pick this book up
-Recipes for Homemade gourmet-ish Tortilla chips, desperation popcorn, chocolate cookies, and a homemade spa type skin exfoliant entices you...pick this book up.
-Need help explaining how Santa can make it to all Malls on the same day....by way of oversized elves maybe....pick this book up
-Love to be able to cry, laugh and understand that you are not alone in this crazy world...pick this book up.
-If the chapter "Cleaning Tips for Slackers" which starts off with "lock the children in the closet until you are finished cleaning, or their 18th birthday, whichever comes last"... sounds interesting and entertaining...pick this book up.
-If you to need to make a spider contract with all those creepy things in your house...such as "Spiders larger than a nickel but smaller than a quarter would be nervously relocated to the outdoors."...pick this book up.
-Nannies versus husbands....enough said, you will need to...pick this book up.
-Want to know if a clean vehicle is possible with kiddos....pick this book up
-If you can relate to any of the above, this is worth reading!

When I originally flipped this book open to take peek, I flipped to a page that read, "don’t bother picking up the toys on the floor, just vacuum around them. When company appears, act surprised at the mess your children made while you were taking a shower." Right then I realized this book is LIFE and started it immediately because I could relate so much to that.

I was given a free copy to give my honest review. All thoughts are my own.

This was definitely a 5 ⭐️ read!

Profile Image for Book Him Danno.
2,394 reviews54 followers
March 11, 2019
Being a parent in general is hard Lara Lillibridge bring humor to the day to day struggles of parents. While she is a single parent the stories will have anyone as a parent laughing and saying "Yup that has happened."
The author is able to bring light to the darkest and hardest times of the lives of parenting.
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher Skyhouse for a copy of Lara Lillibridge Mama, Mama, Only Mama

I am blessed to be married to an partner an amazing father who steps in when I need help or a break from being a mom. With that said I am still able to understand the author feeling and humor.
Profile Image for Amy Fish.
Author 12 books17 followers
March 21, 2019
I love the energy and tone of this book. Lots of laugh out loud moments! Lara captures the highs and lows of all parenting - you don’t have to be a single mama to enjoy Only Mama. Highly recommend.
Profile Image for Shannon Fowler.
Author 2 books72 followers
July 31, 2018
I'm a single mum myself and this book is hilarious, sweet, and hopeful. I could relate to almost every page, and it gave me strength, made me laugh and cry, and reminded me of what is important.
Profile Image for Melanie Brooks.
Author 1 book47 followers
Oh-So-Real and Laugh-Out-Loud Funny
This disarming memoir about the ups and downs of single motherhood weaves narrative, blog posts, survival advice for parents, and useable recipes into an altogether delightful read. Lillibridge's adventures raising her sons, "Big Pants" and "Tiny Pants," resonate not just with single mothers, but with any parent who has felt less than perfect in the childrearing arena. Readers will appreciate Lillibridge's ability to laugh at and forgive her own wobbles along the way and see in her a deeply devoted mother who wants only what is best for her kids. Her voice is an engaging mix of sarcasm, self-deprecation, dry wit, and unchecked honesty that makes her a refreshingly relatable and authentic narrator.
15 reviews
May 7, 2019
Lara Lillibridge details her life as a single mother with warmth and humor. She also manages to strike a pretty remarkable balance of irreverence and maturity that makes me wish my children were young enough to use "Mama, Mama, Only Mama!" as a bible. Lillibridge is so thoughtful in making sure she makes the best possible choices she can for her family while retaining such passion and excitement for life. Maybe the most remarkable thing about this book (besides the VERY creative recipes) is her ability to create the family she wants to have and be the woman she wants to be without any guilt or apology for it. And did I mention she's funny?
Profile Image for Rachel.
Author 51 books150 followers
April 20, 2019
An interesting read. Been reading a lot of different parenting books lately, both fiction and non fiction. I found this book very funny in many places, and it is a heartfelt and very honest journey. I always find it fascinating how different cultures and people from all walks of life view parenting, and how they get through it quite frankly! This is a memoir of that, and divorce and fitting into your own skin. An intriguing read.
Profile Image for Amy Lynn.
170 reviews3 followers
April 17, 2019
Such a beautiful memoir of a single mother and her trials of wanting to be the best mother she can in a society that people push for perfection. Moments of happiness and sadness all rolled into one.
Profile Image for Cassie’s Reviews.
975 reviews30 followers
May 15, 2019
Mama only mama is hilarious!! It also is a memoir filled with Lara’s wisdom and first hand experience for a newly single parent. From dating, cooking and raising her children while trying to stay sane! We all know raising children is not easy! Each child wants your undivided attention. Lara is a twice divorced single mom with two sons she takes you on a wild ride she’s honest and she made me thankful I have my husbands help because raising my son is very trying at times I can’t imagine raising two sons on my own so I admire her strength! As Mother’s I don’t think we stop at think about the massive amount of work we accomplish in just one day! Lara reminds us to appreciate the small things in life and to remember to laughter is the best medicine! She also shares dating advice some she learned from her own experience. I could also feel and sense how much she loves her children. I give this four stars I recommend this book for all mothers!
Profile Image for Sandy.
Author 3 books46 followers
May 5, 2019
Reading Mama, Mama, Only Mama is like sitting down with a friend you haven't seen in a while and catching each other up on your lives--the good, the bad and the ugly. Lara Lillibridge writes with honesty, humor and a perspective that reminds you that through the sorrow, the feelings of lost, the unexpected events that you’re never ready for, there is laughter and lessons to be learned. I highly recommend this book.
Profile Image for Sara.
89 reviews1 follower
November 29, 2021
Really connected with this read. Funny and somewhat irreverent. Not the first book I'd recommend for someone in a post marriage status, but definitely makes you feel not alone.

Also appreciated the reassurance that chips and dip are an acceptable adult meal from time to time.
Profile Image for Susan Peterson.
1,491 reviews244 followers
May 20, 2019
I can’t remember the last time I read I book that was this entertaining! Part memoir, part advice book, part recipe book—adding up to a hilarious, irreverent, and often poignant book! Although I have never been a single parent, I could still relate to so many of the author’s stories and insights, and I imagine that single parents will be able to commiserate with the author’s challenges and the successes. I really enjoyed Lillibridge’s style of writing, fresh and funny but very honest!
Profile Image for Paige.
310 reviews8 followers
May 30, 2019
5 Reasons to Read Mama, Mama, Only Mama: ⁣ ⁣
1. Lara Lillibridge is a newly single mother trying to figure out how to balance life while still remaining relatively sane. This memoir doesn’t feel like a memoir, it feels like talking to your best and most hilarious friend over a glass of wine after a crappy day. There are laugh out loud moments, sentimental moments, and “I am woman, hear me roar” moments. ⁣ ⁣
2. If you love self-deprecation in a hilarious fashion, you will love this. I, myself, am a big supporter of self-deprecating statements and stories, so Lillibridge is a gal after my own heart. If you’re looking for a Pinterest perfect depiction on mother and womanhood, don’t go grabbing this book, but if you’re looking for someone who can keep it real- you need. Now. ⁣ ⁣
3. The formatting of this book makes it quick, lighthearted, and easy to pick up and put down while you’re squeezing in reading time. Not written in conventional chapters, this one alternates between “blog entries”, chapters, anecdotes, and recipes. Each section is cleverly titled and quick to digest. I found myself rereading parts to my mother and husband because I just loved them so much! ⁣ ⁣
4. There is a vulnerability and realness to the book that makes it so relatable. Lillibridge doesn’t hold back, but doesn’t over share in an uncomfortable way. She is just real. At one point she talks being on WIC and the importance of it at the time, but the embarrassment she felt while humbling herself. It was truly a beautiful thing. ⁣ ⁣
5. If you’re looking for a quick read that isn’t too advice-y, but still feels like you have someone standing in your corner, this is a perfect book. This is a book about self and family love, being okay with not being perfect, and looking on the bright side of every pile of laundry and microwavable meal.
Profile Image for Elaine.
Author 2 books9 followers
January 22, 2020
Title: Mama, Mama, Only Mama

Author: Lara Lillibridge

Genre: Nonfiction, Humor, Self-Help, Advice, Memoir, Parenting, Children, Single-Parenting.

Plot: One day Lara woke up and decided that her bland married existence was too stifling to continue. So she uprooted her world and moved out, adventuring tentatively into the world of single parenting.

There is more to her story, of course. Like what happens when you're the main authority of the house and yet there are still icky spiders to deal with, the trials of co-parenting and what happens when you try to date as a single parent. While she worked her way through those challenges, Lara still had two adventurous boys to raise, a dog to monitor and a couple of jobs to work.

This book is about how she overcame all those challenges and reconnected with herself.

Likes/Dislikes: Single-parenting is hard but so is denying yourself and staying in a loveless bland marriage. Somehow Lara found the strength to do what many of us can't and she overcame her struggles. She still has a messy car though and that will never change. In between her humorous life lessons are tasty, easy recipes and blog posts that spotlight her personal growth. I really enjoyed this book, though it didn't necessarily sell me on the joys of single parenthood. I especially enjoyed the humorous recipes. Definitely a very fun read.

Rating: PG-14 and up, mainly for reading level and some content (it's a parenting book).

Date Reviewed: January 22nd, 2020

I received a copy of this book courtesy of Netgalley for my honest opinion. I wasn't required to write a positive review and the opinions expressed in the above review are my own.
Profile Image for Stephanie (the nerdy princess).
553 reviews36 followers
December 13, 2019
I received a copy of this book from the publisher In exchange for an honest review

I was a teen mom, I had my son when I was 15 years old and not only that but I was a single mom. I was never married but I so understood how Ms. Lillibridge felt dating.

I loved reading her stories about her children and the best thing about this book is her recipes.

For all you single moms out there a must read. this bring back so many memories for when my children where little.

You can feel the love ms lillibridge has for her children.

a funny, light hearted read.
Profile Image for Charlene.
Author 8 books87 followers
January 17, 2020
Entering into the messy, uneven, emotional chaos of being a single mother, author Lara Lillibridge writes where others fear to articulate. With humour, insight and a heart of compassion Lillibridge recounts story upon story, probing questions such as 'do single mothers have a sex drive at all and ought they?', 'how many tacos mean enough?' 'do single mothers share recipes?' and more. This book is a delight, and renders true information about an area uncharted—that of being a human being, a woman and a single mother in that order.
Profile Image for Ronna Russell.
Author 3 books17 followers
August 30, 2019
Only Mama is a work of art, a delightful mix of essays, short scenes, and relatable recipes. Page after page of insights into single mom life are sweet, poignant, painful, and hilarious. Sometimes all of these at once. It’s a joy to read, easy to pick up and put down without losing the plot-which is not to say that it’s light. Lillibridge has a way of smacking you with deep truth mid-giggle.
220 reviews2 followers
November 4, 2019
A fun, humorous read, much of which I could identify with as a single parent, though my children were not as young as the author’s when I found myself in that state of being. Like the author, I am no longer single, and for that, I am eternally grateful.
Profile Image for Cristie Underwood.
2,275 reviews55 followers
May 12, 2019
I am not a mother and found this book to be an enjoyable read! Some of the situations that the author wrote about were hilarious! This was a fast read and one that I recommend!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 33 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.