Start by marking “Mama, Mama, Only Mama: A Single Mom on Parenting, Divorce, Dating, and Cooking, with Heavy Doses of Humor and Advice” as Want to Read:

Being a single mother means relaxing your cleanliness standards. A lot. Being a single mother means missing your kids like crazy when your ex has them, only to want to give them back ten minutes after they come home. Being a single mother means accepting sleep deprivation as a natural state. Being a single mother means hauling a toddler, a baby, and a diaper bag while wear ...more
Published March 5th 2019 by Skyhorse

To ask other readers questions about Mama, Mama, Only Mama, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mama, Mama, Only Mama

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mama, Mama, Only Mama is Lara Lillibridge’s tribute to the single mom. She knows the lifestyle because she is one. I was immediately struck by her humor and matter-of-fact, honest way of sharing. The book is also full of advice and support.

Lara bares it all talking about grief and loss and how to handle introducing new relationships to your children, among many other smart and helpful topics. The book reads like a diary and is full of insight, information, recipes, and laughs. Lara has two child
Elyse Walters
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“MAMA, MAMA, *only* MAMA....is - at first-HILARIOUS.
It’s also a memoir filled with wisdom, and insights....
“An Irrelevant Guide for the Newly Single Parent—From
Divorce and Dating to Cooking and Crafting, All while Raising the kids and Maintaining Your Own Sanity ( Sort of)”!!!!!

We get the inside truth from
twice divorced- super-single mom- Lara Lillibridge!
The little people in Lara’s life- Big pants and Tiny Pants ( Lara’s two son’s), are charming, adorable, bright, and the love of Lara’s life.
Berit☀️✨
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a humorous and real look at motherhood and single motherhood in particular. I don’t read many memoirs, but how could I resist a memoir about single motherhood when I am a single mom myself. Lara Lillibridge has crafted a compelling portrayal about the good bad and ugly of motherhood and dating. This book is smart, clever, entertaining, and of course humorous. A glimpse into motherhood that will appeal to ALL moms.

This story really brought back lots of memories of my kids when they wer
Linda Zagon
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lara Lillibridge has combined a diary, journals, recipes and other intriguing information in her Memoir  "Mama, Mama and Only Mama" The Genres for this book are Memoir, and Humor. The author gives witty advice on" divorce, dating, parenting, crafting, and simple recipes." (Stated above loosely from the cover) Some of the recipes involve opening a bag from the freezer, or a can.  Some seem like science experiments, but no stress, so all is fine.

Parenting is difficult, and the author has a sense o
Dana Mich
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lara Lillibridge's Mama, Mama, Only Mama awoke a newfound joy in motherhood for me. (As I type this, my 15-month-old is teething, feverish, and preferring to throw food rather than eat it, mind you.) Lara's wittiness and honesty about the ups and downs of parenting, and the strength she found in going at it alone are admirable. And her writing is down-right lovable. Her new memoir is an absolute must-read for moms, especially single moms, who want to feel seen, heard, and understood. One of my f ...more
abdulia ortiz-perez
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-reads
I received this book for honest Review.
Thank you @suzyapprovedbookreviews @suzyapprovedbooktours @skyhorsepub
for the free copy.

I'm so happy that I received this arc copy cuz I love it.
Not alot of people in this world now how it is to be a single mom. The struggle we do has mom or a dad being single Dad.
We have our good days and we have our bad days.
This is inside of a single parent and I was one of them.
This book is perfect for any single parents out there.
I now that sometimes we feel like gi
Jennifer S. Brown
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir
While "Mama, Mama, Only Mama" is a departure in style and tone from her previous memoir, Girlish: Growing Up in a Lesbian Home, this is a lovely memoir of Lillibridge's life as a single mom. She captures the pathos of raising children on one's own in the ups and the downs of motherhood. This book manages to be both humorous and heartfelt, treading that line while dealing with heavy topics such as children and grief, introducing new partners to children, and managing the nights while the children ...more
Stephani Beltran
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing

"My ambition to become an amorphous glob of green Jell-O with no backbone, opinions, or suggestions made me one heck of a boring wife."

Reasons to pick this book up:

-If you are/were a single parent and/or your kids and/or ex/spouse drive you crazy....pick this book up
-If the chapter called, “Single Parenting Turns you into a Teenager" makes you curious...pick this book up
-Recipes for Homemade gourmet-ish Tortilla chips, desperation popcorn, chocolate cookies, and a homemade spa type skin exfolian
Christina (Bookwormmommyof3)
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Single parenthood is like using a shovel in a blizzard. Lara Lillibridge’s Mama Mama Only Mama embraces my statement in a comical, real, and entertaining manner. I’m a single mother of three children and they are with me full-time minus when they are at school and I’m at work. This book has completely embodied the reality that I feel has become a more forgiving topic and more commonly discussed. I feel like there has been a small scope into the world of a single working mom because our society h ...more
Lisa Ellison
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Written as a love song to Lara’s children and her younger, more awkward self, Mama, Mama, Only Mama is a fun and quirky memoir told through diary entries, single-mama-survival recipes, and blog posts. Lillibridge’s sophomore release explores her post-marriage search for identity in the frequently messy and complicated world of single parenthood. It celebrates the many roles women play, including motherhood, and offers an honest account of the challenges single parents face while raising children ...more
S.M. Roffey
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Julie Clark
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What can I say about a memoir that so perfectly captures the essence of single parenthood? Mama Mama Only Mama will have you laughing and crying and nodding along. Lillibridge’s beautiful prose is both heartwarming and heart wrenching, and I thoroughly devoured this smart and tender memoir about single motherhood, love, and all the ways our kids both break us and put us back together again. 5/5 stars. Don’t miss this one!
Book Him Danno
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Being a parent in general is hard Lara Lillibridge bring humor to the day to day struggles of parents. While she is a single parent the stories will have anyone as a parent laughing and saying "Yup that has happened."
The author is able to bring light to the darkest and hardest times of the lives of parenting.
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher Skyhouse for a copy of Lara Lillibridge Mama, Mama, Only Mama

I am blessed to be married to an partner an amazing father who steps in when I need hel
Amy Fish
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love the energy and tone of this book. Lots of laugh out loud moments! Lara captures the highs and lows of all parenting - you don’t have to be a single mama to enjoy Only Mama. Highly recommend.
Shannon Fowler
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm a single mum myself and this book is hilarious, sweet, and hopeful. I could relate to almost every page, and it gave me strength, made me laugh and cry, and reminded me of what is important.
Melanie Brooks
Oh-So-Real and Laugh-Out-Loud Funny
This disarming memoir about the ups and downs of single motherhood weaves narrative, blog posts, survival advice for parents, and useable recipes into an altogether delightful read. Lillibridge's adventures raising her sons, "Big Pants" and "Tiny Pants," resonate not just with single mothers, but with any parent who has felt less than perfect in the childrearing arena. Readers will appreciate Lillibridge's ability to laugh at and forgive her own wobbles along t
Amy Eaton
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lara Lillibridge details her life as a single mother with warmth and humor. She also manages to strike a pretty remarkable balance of irreverence and maturity that makes me wish my children were young enough to use "Mama, Mama, Only Mama!" as a bible. Lillibridge is so thoughtful in making sure she makes the best possible choices she can for her family while retaining such passion and excitement for life. Maybe the most remarkable thing about this book (besides the VERY creative recipes) is her ...more
Rachel
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
An interesting read. Been reading a lot of different parenting books lately, both fiction and non fiction. I found this book very funny in many places, and it is a heartfelt and very honest journey. I always find it fascinating how different cultures and people from all walks of life view parenting, and how they get through it quite frankly! This is a memoir of that, and divorce and fitting into your own skin. An intriguing read.
Amy Lynn
Apr 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Such a beautiful memoir of a single mother and her trials of wanting to be the best mother she can in a society that people push for perfection. Moments of happiness and sadness all rolled into one.
Cassie-Traveling Sister-
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mama only mama is hilarious!! It also is a memoir filled with Lara’s wisdom and first hand experience for a newly single parent. From dating, cooking and raising her children while trying to stay sane! We all know raising children is not easy! Each child wants your undivided attention. Lara is a twice divorced single mom with two sons she takes you on a wild ride she’s honest and she made me thankful I have my husbands help because raising my son is very trying at times I can’t imagine raising t ...more
Sandy
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reading Mama, Mama, Only Mama is like sitting down with a friend you haven't seen in a while and catching each other up on your lives--the good, the bad and the ugly. Lara Lillibridge writes with honesty, humor and a perspective that reminds you that through the sorrow, the feelings of lost, the unexpected events that you’re never ready for, there is laughter and lessons to be learned. I highly recommend this book.
Susan Peterson
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can’t remember the last time I read I book that was this entertaining! Part memoir, part advice book, part recipe book—adding up to a hilarious, irreverent, and often poignant book! Although I have never been a single parent, I could still relate to so many of the author’s stories and insights, and I imagine that single parents will be able to commiserate with the author’s challenges and the successes. I really enjoyed Lillibridge’s style of writing, fresh and funny but very honest!
Martine Watson
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I adored this book. I’ve never been a single parent, but I’m also a mother of two and with a husband who used to travel a LOT, sometimes for weeks at a time, I have occasionally felt like one for short bursts. This author’s memoir is a clever mix of short chapters, blog posts, and even recipes, in which she explores all aspects of leaving a marriage and learning to navigate both being single and coparenting with her ex. It is so full of heart and humor—I didn’t expect it be a page-turner, exactl ...more
K. J. Harrowick
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoire
Why I picked up this book:

I received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Okay, let’s be super honest . . . I practically grabbed this book out of Lara’s virtual hands when she contacted me to say NetGalley had the book. I’d read her first book Girlish and absolutely fell in love with both the story and Lara’s voice. And since this next book is about motherhood and dating, of course that’s just another reason for me to be all in.

This review may contain spoilers.

Once again .
Paige
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
5 Reasons to Read Mama, Mama, Only Mama:
1. Lara Lillibridge is a newly single mother trying to figure out how to balance life while still remaining relatively sane. This memoir doesn’t feel like a memoir, it feels like talking to your best and most hilarious friend over a glass of wine after a crappy day. There are laugh out loud moments, sentimental moments, and “I am woman, hear me roar” moments.
2. If you love self-deprecation in a hilarious fashion, you will love this. I, myself, am a big
Cristie Underwood
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
I am not a mother and found this book to be an enjoyable read! Some of the situations that the author wrote about were hilarious! This was a fast read and one that I recommend!
Chamois
Dec 01, 2018
Stephanie
Jun 22, 2019
Jonathan L.
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love the author's sense of humor and style of writing. I feel like she could be one of my BFF's. In her humorous memoir, she shares her frustrations, fears and successes as a single mom for 6 years to two young boys whom she refers to as Big Pants and Little Pants. Recipes and parenting tips are shared. Even if you aren't a single parent, you can still relate to some of Lillibridge's feelings and experiences in the book.

Thank you to NetGalley for the free copy in exchange for my honest review
Lara Lillibridge sings off-beat and dances off-key. She writes a lot, and sometimes even likes how it turns out.

She is the author of two memoirs, Girlish: Growing Up in a Lesbian Home, Foreword INDIES Book of the Year Awards Finalist (Skyhorse Publishing, 2018) and Mama, Mama, Only Mama (Skyhorse Publishing, 2019).

Lara Lillibridge is a graduate of West Virginia Wesleyan College’s MFA program in C